The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 September 2019, 11:26 PM   #1
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

Datejust 1601 (1971 datecode) - box question

So I recently purchased my 1601 from a well respected dealer on the forums and it came with RSC service paperwork but no box. I am looking to acquire the correct box/accessories for my collection (I'm kind of anal about this kind of thing as I have complete sets of everything for my other watches; none of which are vintage). There are plenty of available boxes on eBay/elsewhere on the web but I want to make sure I get the correct one for my watch. What kind of box/accessories should I be looking for for this specific model?

Thanks in advance.
BigMac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:37 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Maybe start your research in the Reference Library here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74592

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:49 AM   #3
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Maybe start your research in the Reference Library here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74592

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks - I did check there but the specific ref # I'm looking for doesn't appear to be included in that list unfortunately; but I do appreciate the reply.
Old 20 September 2019, 12:59 AM   #4
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I have been looking for a 1976 box for my DJ. There are a few on Fleabay, quite pricey.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 01:09 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
It will be difficult (impossible?) to ascertain the exact correct set that would have come with your watch, especially since you don't have the Rolex guarantee paper showing where the watch was originally sold.

The sets/box styles were different depending where your watch was sold, whether it's the U.S., Europe, or Asia. Also, back in the day dealers sometimes were a little willy-nilly with what they threw together with the watch for buyers, so there can be inconsistencies.

Perhaps just track down a photo of a complete U.S. set for a DJ from the early '70s, and try to match that. At least then you know you'll be close.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 01:25 AM   #6
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It will be difficult (impossible?) to ascertain the exact correct set that would have come with your watch, especially since you don't have the Rolex guarantee paper showing where the watch was originally sold.

The sets/box styles were different depending where your watch was sold, whether it's the U.S., Europe, or Asia. Also, back in the day dealers sometimes were a little willy-nilly with what they threw together with the watch for buyers, so there can be inconsistencies.

Perhaps just track down a photo of a complete U.S. set for a DJ from the early '70s, and try to match that. At least then you know you'll be close.
Yes, thanks; that's what I've been trying to do, but as you mentioned, there seems to be several different "sets". I was really just concerned with finding the right period-correct box for a datejust; rather than one for like a Daytona or a sub, because it appears that those boxes were a little different(?). I really appreciate the advice.