The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2016, 01:56 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Calling All Flippers

Non flippers can partake as well, but you guys tend to have some disdain for us floppies, so just be nice.

For my 30th bday my father gave me a choice of three of his watches. I don't even remember the other two. It was not a decision. I'd been in love with his polar 16570 for years.

A bit of time goes by and he and I swap watches for a short while. I take his Breitling and he is wearing my 30th bday present.

He calls me up one day and says, I found a good deal, but I'd have to flip your watch. Are you ok with it? I wasn't thrilled. But I was already a flipper so I empathized with his call.

12 years later, last winter, I bought one BNIB mostly for sentimental value. I just about never wear it. I could trade it in as its in amazing shape.

BUT, likely I'll never get another shot at this again. I'll likely never get another BNIB again if I want one. Yet, I don't wear it.

So I'm torn. I'm not really a sentimental guy. It was the first model I had though. Yet, clearly, not the same one. But again, likely unable to get another one in this shape ever again.

What would you do?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:02 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Non flippers can partake as well, but you guys tend to have some disdain for us floppies, so just be nice.

For my 30th bday my father gave me a choice of three of his watches. I don't even remember the other two. It was not a decision. I'd been in love with his polar 16570 for years.

A bit of time goes by and he and I swap watches for a short while. I take his Breitling and he is wearing my 30th bday present.

He calls me up one day and says, I found a good deal, but I'd have to flip your watch. Are you ok with it? I wasn't thrilled. But I was already a flipper so I empathized with his call.

12 years later, last winter, I bought one BNIB mostly for sentimental value. I just about never wear it. I could trade it in as its in amazing shape.

BUT, likely I'll never get another shot at this again. I'll likely never get another BNIB again if I want one. Yet, I don't wear it.

So I'm torn. I'm not really a sentimental guy. It was the first model I had though. Yet, clearly, not the same one. But again, likely unable to get another one in this shape ever again.

What would you do?

Seth,

I'm not particularly sentimental either. That's not your 30th watch and never will be. Ship if it means getting something to wear
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:24 AM   #3
multimedia
"TRF" Member

I definitely consider myself a flipper... (unfortunately, I don know). But the only two watches I regret selling is; my first "real" watch, which was the Omega 2254.50, and a Tag Heuer Carrera. Why the Tag? Reason being that I got this watch after winning a design competition organized by Tag together with the art/design school (master degree) I attended.

So if I could somehow go back in time and tell my younger self not to sell these two pieces, I would do it in a heartbeat. Over the years, I have sold numerous Rolex's, Breitling's, Omega's, etc. But none of these come even close to the above mentioned watches. Reason is that I have/had a connection to these two, and that's why I'm kicking myself letting them go.

My point is; I personally think you should hold on to the polar. I'm just saying this after reading your post, and I get the feeling that this watch is indeed a bit special for you. Even if, as you say, you don't wear it very often. But also with the connection to your dad and all. It's just something there... well, that's my 2 cents. :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 6 October 2016, 02:30 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Even a sentimental watch I would have to wear for it to truly be sentimental. When it comes to watches, your wrist knows you better than your brain.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:32 AM   #5
MonBK
Banned

Just flip it for crying out loud.

MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:37 AM   #6
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
If it was the actual watch from back then, I would hesitate on it. But since this is just the same model LNIB...not so much attachment.

I'll keep an eye out for your listing...I may be in the market for one once I get some funds in.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:42 AM   #7
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Seth, brother, flip it.

I understand the argument that you got it bnib and that it's unlikely to find another one. HOWEVER:

1. It's not your Dad's watch. It's not the one you got as a bday gift. It may remind you of that time, but that's it.

2. Even though a bnib may be hard to find, it's not a rare watch: there will be excellent/mint condition examples for many years to come still.

3. You don't wear it. This, combined with reason n. 1, does it.

4. You're a flipper. You found a bnib watch. Discontinued. NOS. I get the thrill. You got it, wore it seldomly, the rush subsided. Now it's time to move on to the next one.

And just for good measure:

5. You don't wear the damn thing.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:46 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Flip it
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:15 AM   #9
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Rule #1 A flipper never gets a sentimental attachment to an inanimate object!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:16 AM   #10
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

You've already made your mind up, it seems
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:16 AM   #11
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
See rule #1
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:32 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd sell it if you really don't wear it and need the $$......real sentimental value comes from attachment to a specific/one watch....for me it'd be my titanium Seamaster with the electric blue dial given to me when I went off to college from my father that's been with me for over 20 years.....that watch will go with me to the grave. Anything else I've purchased (there are some favorites that would be hard to let go) can/will go when/if I need the money.....someone else said it best on this forum in fact.....take everything given/acquired with an open hand as we came into this life with nothing and will leave with nothing on the material side. Good luck with your decision Seth.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:36 AM   #13
swils8610

Flip it Seth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:37 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
You've already made your mind up, it seems
ha. if I had already made up my mind, it would be gone. no joke, i tend to act pretty fast.

Old 6 October 2016, 03:39 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I'd sell it if you really don't wear it and need the $$......real sentimental value comes from attachment to a specific/one watch....for me it'd be my titanium Seamaster with the electric blue dial given to me when I went off to college from my father that's been with me for over 20 years.....that watch will go with me to the grave. Anything else I've purchased (there are some favorites that would be hard to let go) can/will go when/if I need the money.....someone else said it best on this forum in fact.....take everything given/acquired with an open hand as we came into this life with nothing and will leave with nothing on the material side. Good luck with your decision Seth.
I realize it is my ego, but I hate this term. And I hope to the money gods I will never actually have to use it.

It is not a matter of needing the loot really. But I hate seeing any of my accounts go down. Call me crazy....even the account I have specifically for watches...I hate it when I take money out of it.

This is more or less a way of getting cash in order to not have to spend any...

Old 6 October 2016, 03:40 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
agree.

Old 6 October 2016, 03:45 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Seth, brother, flip it.

I understand the argument that you got it bnib and that it's unlikely to find another one. HOWEVER:

1. It's not your Dad's watch. It's not the one you got as a bday gift. It may remind you of that time, but that's it.

2. Even though a bnib may be hard to find, it's not a rare watch: there will be excellent/mint condition examples for many years to come still.

3. You don't wear it. This, combined with reason n. 1, does it.

4. You're a flipper. You found a bnib watch. Discontinued. NOS. I get the thrill. You got it, wore it seldomly, the rush subsided. Now it's time to move on to the next one.

And just for good measure:

5. You don't wear the damn thing.

agree. thanks for the great feedback. love the 5 point list.

Old 6 October 2016, 03:45 AM   #18
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I realize it is my ego, but I hate this term. And I hope to the money gods I will never actually have to use it.

It is not a matter of needing the loot really. But I hate seeing any of my accounts go down. Call me crazy....even the account I have specifically for watches...I hate it when I take money out of it.

This is more or less a way of getting cash in order to not have to spend any...
No justification needed to me my friend, I know of your collection from some of your posts and have some idea of what you consider disposable income. That's not really what I intended either in your case....like you said....if you "miss" the money or not would be the better term. As I said though...it doesn't sound like you're particularly attached to the watch and you just need some moral support to get it moving. Look forward to your new incoming.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:52 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
No justification needed to me my friend, I know of your collection from some of your posts and have some idea of what you consider disposable income. That's not really what I intended either in your case....like you said....if you "miss" the money or not would be the better term. As I said though...it doesn't sound like you're particularly attached to the watch and you just need some moral support to get it moving. Look forward to your new incoming.
Totally get it. And thanks. It was just my ego talking.

Old 6 October 2016, 04:18 AM   #20
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess that makes me a flipper.
I say sell it if it's not getting wrist time. I sold my first Rolex and I have no regrets.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 04:48 AM   #21
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
I would Flip It ! ( as long as it's an up swing your way ).
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 04:51 AM   #22
Zilla99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Zilla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 04:59 AM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
OK. Not sure I understand the post. And I apologize in advance if I'm not reading correctly what you've stated in it.

Have you found something else you're flipping the watch for? Or are you just getting rid of it b/c it's just laying around not being worn?

My take: if it's the first scenario, then flip away, my friend. The second...I don't think I would.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision, Seth.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 05:46 AM   #24
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

box it up
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 05:51 AM   #25
77T

Calling All Flippers

Quote:

What would you do?

First straighten out all that circular logic.

My only BNIB was a Polar Expl. II in 1999. It went (+some $$$) for a pre-owned White Dial Daytona in 2008 and 20+ flips later in still happy with that initial trade.

Flip it - bcause life is short, my friend. Too short to own things you don't use/need.

Now get out there and find the next model you "must" have and stick to pre-owned so you can flip away later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 05:56 AM   #26
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
My point is; I personally think you should hold on to the polar. I'm just saying this after reading your post, and I get the feeling that this watch is indeed a bit special for you. Even if, as you say, you don't wear it very often. But also with the connection to your dad and all. It's just something there... well, that's my 2 cents. :)

Cheers,
Joe
I agree. All us flippers have one they wish they never sold. I myself, flipped a watch that had sentimental value and I should have never let it go. Since then, I bought a replacement, same model... but not the same watch. Although it's rarely worn, it will never leave.

As they say. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You WILL miss it!
Old 6 October 2016, 06:19 AM   #27
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Based on what you said, I would flip it.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 06:28 AM   #28
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
Like what was mentioned, it's not the exact same watch. You are fooling yourself if you consider it to have the same sentimental value. Flip it!

ig - @kakashi_gram
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 06:28 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
get rid of it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 07:16 AM   #30
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
First straighten out all that circular logic.

My only BNIB was a Polar Expl. II in 1999. It went (+some $$$) for a pre-owned White Dial Daytona in 2008 and 20+ flips later in still happy with that initial trade.

Flip it - bcause life is short, my friend. Too short to own things you don't use/need.

Now get out there and find the next model you "must" have and stick to pre-owned so you can flip away later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two models:

One a repeat of my DD40, but with the blue romans
Two a pretty sick PP that I think I might just have to make a move on....