The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2019, 06:09 AM   #91
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

This watch creates an opportunity for some virtue signaling beginning with the bezel font, complication is of no use and then the cries of how ugly it is. It's the whipping boy of the current Rolex line-up and is used so people can pretend they're rugged divers, pilots and race car drivers who have dire needs for the functionality of the watch while contending that there is not the slightest "hey, look what I got," factor in owning a Rolex. It goes from there. People in denial will argue this obvious point and the YM II has gained more support since I first owned the TT version in 2015. People flipped out when six digit references were first released and have since gone quiet. I have big wrists, long arms, big hands and I suppose that helps but liking the watch is all that matter and personally, I like it.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:17 AM   #92
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
I have a big wrist and have been wanting to add YM2 SS to my collection for a long time. Everytime I get closer to pulling the trigger I ask myself why are these not so popular and relatively easier to get?
Very unattractive and the function is next to useless?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:18 AM   #93
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Yes, the function is limited to those who sail or live their life in 10 min increments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:19 AM   #94
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
If you wear one will your friends be required to call you "Commodore?"
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:27 AM   #95
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCircle View Post
Please think twice about the countless comments the complication is useless. It’s not !

Most things people would like to time are less then 10 minutes. Reading the yachtmaster countdown timer is EASY compared to the Daytona. Latter one designed for timing but the dial is roughly 50 times harder to read then the one of YM2 !
you are not timing if you need to know when something ends before you begin.

If im timing my run i can see that it took me 7 minutes to run a mile. If im using a countdown then i need to know its going to take me 7 minutes before i start so i finish at zero.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:38 AM   #96
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

If im timing my run i can see that it took me 7 minutes to run a mile. If im using a countdown then i need to know its going to take me 7 minutes before i start so i finish at zero.
Deducting the remaining 3 minutes from 10 is still a lot easier then reading a Daytona dial
GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:45 AM   #97
drgoro
"TRF" Member

It’s the most playful watch in the line up; you wear it accordingly. Don’t let the watch wear you, I’m loving mine !
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20022920-FF4D-4D36-B8F5-17B8011A161E.jpeg (111.3 KB, 491 views)
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 07:06 AM   #98
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

You’re not a cook then Tyler?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 07:42 AM   #99
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Countdown is a timing function. I use it many times a day at the track. Close-ended timing is definitely necessary.

Also chefs need it and anyone trying to accomplish anything within a given timeframe.

Elapsed timing is what you use when you’re running. It’s open-ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 07:44 AM   #100
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Countdown is a timing function. I use it many times a day at the track. Close-ended timing is definitely necessary.

Also chefs need it and anyone trying to accomplish anything within a given timeframe.

Elapsed timing is what you use when you’re running. It’s open-ended.

that's what i meant. Elapsed timing...Counting up, as in how long did it take. That seems more useful to me.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 07:48 AM   #101
77T

Why is Yacht Master II so underrated?

You’re probably right for some people.

Others have a need for both - and Rolex doesn’t have a dual complication for us.

For example, at the track I’m giving a 5 minute warning to the grid, then a 1 minute warning (a 4 minute countdown). Then as the Green Flag flies for an endurance race I need to start an elapsed timer. The Daytona is the best for motorsports, but we need to carry out multiple overlapping timed functions.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #102
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
All this conversation to justify a $25,000 watch purchase when in reality it was purchased because it looked pretty and you could afford it.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 08:01 AM   #103
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Just like 99.9% of the subs out there.
As I said, "use or relate". That being said, the sub is quite useful as a daily lifetime wearer that you can easily take underwater (and likely will) anywhere you go. You don't need to go 1000 ft to utilize the sub. A YM2 features are pretty much useless to 99% of watch wearers. Not so with a sub.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 08:05 AM   #104
blue997
"TRF" Member

They aren't underrated, they are just actually bad
blue997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 08:53 AM   #105
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

I love mine. I use it as a steak grilling timer.
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 09:11 AM   #106
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
Possibly the worst watch they make, I did meet a guy with a gold one that looked nice
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 09:18 AM   #107
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Not the prettiest Rolex but interesting nevertheless. Kind of quirky and cool in its own way, dares to be different. I like it, actually.

Here's Tim Moss explaining how the complication works.

https://youtu.be/kGV-DJaIaqM
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 09:33 AM   #108
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I had one which I bought used. What can I say, the combination of the blue bezel and white dial just absolutely stunning and drew me to it!

That’s where it ends.

Way to big, wish they made it in a 40mm. The dial was just too busy, I’m 29 with good eye sight and I found myself not knowing how to read the time haha

Overall wouldn’t buy another one and thankfully I bought mine used otherwise j would’ve lost a lot of money

IMG_4924.jpgIMG_4813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 10:14 AM   #109
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Based upon my ownership of a YM II WG I guess I am biased. Its an impressive timepiece with an stunning horological movement. One of Rolex’s better achievements. It is frowned upon by the skinny wrist brigade but, its a marvel for us bigger wrist guys.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #110
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Based upon my ownership of a YM II WG I guess I am biased. Its an impressive timepiece with an stunning horological movement. One of Rolex’s better achievements. It is frowned upon by the skinny wrist brigade but, its a marvel for us bigger wrist guys.
as a owner of both YM and YMII I couldn't agree more. The YM looked like a toy on my wrist after the YMII.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 10:52 AM   #111
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Don’t own a yacht, can’t wear a watch that says you do
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:37 AM   #112
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Would you own it if you had a small wrist? I believe frowned on is an over statement; it would look like crap, imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:46 AM   #113
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Don’t own a yacht, can’t wear a watch that says you do
Maybe you’re the master of yachts without owning them.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 12:50 PM   #114
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexYouTube View Post
a lot of people on the internet say it is ugly, people wouldn't say this to your face if you had it on your wrist (they might say it's not for them or it's too big but would never tell you it's disgusting or unbelievable ugly etc)

the same way I'm not a fan of the Bugatti Veyron I wouldn't tell someone that is driving it that the car is ugly. if he wanted to give 2 million plus dollars on it and he likes it it's none of my business to talk bad about his purchase. but that's just me

I think if you have a big wrist and the money to spend the YMII is a fantastic watch, I currently own one but in gold.

check out this video review I made of it if you have a few minutes it just might help you purchase it

https://youtu.be/TBF9ZlIntk8

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Just subscribed will watch the whole video later today... Thx
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 02:12 PM   #115
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
Just subscribed will watch the whole video later today... Thx
Nice Video and an amazing watch

Goodluck with your chanel
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 02:58 PM   #116
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
There are a few things about the YMII that I find off-putting, even if the movement is a modern marvel of the watchmaker's art.

It is very large with a garish color scheme and a complication of limited utility, unless you happen to race yachts.

I tend not to like larger watches, although I have acquiescent to the lords of fashion and have purchased several watches larger than 40mm, simply because I liked everything else about the watches.

I don't like flashy watches and don't think I own any, except possibly the BLNR and while some others call the ceramic bezels and PCLs blingy, I don't hold that opinion.

I'm not much into complicated watches, but the watches that I own with complications, beyond the standard minute and seconds hands and a date, have some direct application to my life, like a chronograph or the GMT complication, which at this time of my life is simply an interesting addition to a very useful watch, since I haven't been traveling east or west since most of my family members are now dead and I've been just about every place I ever wanted to go.

That does not preclude a sudden onset of wanderlust, in which case would make the GMT complication much more desirable than it already is for keeping track of other time zones as a simple matter of curiosity.

I have talked with guys who just really like the watch for various reasons, mainly style, and who don't mind shelling out the money for a watch that doesn't offer much more than a simple three hand watch with a date, unless they happen to have some pressing need for a 10-minute countdown timer that costs somewhere in the vicinity of $20,000.

Besides the watch costing about twice what I'm willing to spend on a watch, those are the reasons I don't find the watch appealing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 03:19 PM   #117
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Not for me, cannot get over the bold YACHT-MASTER II on the bezel

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 04:25 PM   #118
harvey
"TRF" Member

The stainless steel version is just about palatable but the all gold, oh noooooooooooo!
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 04:30 PM   #119
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I fell like if you actually know how to operate and read the various functions, it begins to look a lot less ugly, and becomes a work of art...

The WG version would be mine if it were the YM one, and 40mm

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 09:58 PM   #120
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
This watch creates an opportunity for some virtue signaling beginning with the bezel font, complication is of no use and then the cries of how ugly it is. It's the whipping boy of the current Rolex line-up and is used so people can pretend they're rugged divers, pilots and race car drivers who have dire needs for the functionality of the watch while contending that there is not the slightest "hey, look what I got," factor in owning a Rolex. It goes from there. People in denial will argue this obvious point and the YM II has gained more support since I first owned the TT version in 2015. People flipped out when six digit references were first released and have since gone quiet. I have big wrists, long arms, big hands and I suppose that helps but liking the watch is all that matter and personally, I like it.
Spot on. Everyone is a diver, pilot and race car drivers
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote