The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 November 2019, 03:31 AM   #1
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Thinking about selling my Sub for a PAM 112

I do not have much experience with Panerai, but love the look of the 112. I currently wear a modern Submariner 114060.

Looking for any experience with this watch. I’m wondering if I will miss the seconds hand I’m not really sure what is involved with winding the watch. From what I gather, I would basically need to manually wind it every two days? I like simple watches, but with the Sub I can go for weeks if not months without needing to wind or set it.

I am also looking at a couple for sale that are between 7 and 10 years old. I’m not sure how bulletproof these watches are or if I would need to plan on having it serviced soon and what that would cost.

I appreciate any information or advice!
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 03:58 AM   #2
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I would just add the 112 rather than selling the sub, its a keeper
denmanproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on what else is in your collection.... I really like both brands, but would find it hard to move a Sub for a 112 if the collection otherwise is limited. Maybe for a 233? Even then, I would want both....

But, if you want to make some cash from selling your Sub and getting a moderately priced Panerai, and you’re not sure about a base (2-hand) model, I would look at the 111. Both have rock solid and easy/cheap to service ETA movements.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 07:16 PM   #4
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Depends on what else is in your collection.... I really like both brands, but would find it hard to move a Sub for a 112 if the collection otherwise is limited. Maybe for a 233? Even then, I would want both....
The point re 233 is well made. I was a Rolex fanboy until I got a 233, after which my Rolexes just languished in the safe and over the past 18 months I've sold them all (including three Subs, a few Explorers and a SD) as all I wear now are Panerai and the Rolex money has gone into property, pension and awaiting a grail Panerai.

The Sub is a great watch and at list good value, but they're so widely recognised, relatively common and so in demand that I just can't be arsed with them anymore. I treat my WISdom as a quirky hobby and wearing something that anyone with a bit of cash has/wants takes some of the fun from the ownership and with current used prices and lack of supply I've seen it as a good time to walk away.

Having had my rant, I would recommend that if the OP can keep the Sub for now and try a Panerai (or 2) then do so. I whole heartedly recommend the PAM233 as a first/only Panerai https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Cheers.
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 11:54 AM   #5
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
The point re 233 is well made. I was a Rolex fanboy until I got a 233, after which my Rolexes just languished in the safe and over the past 18 months I've sold them all (including three Subs, a few Explorers and a SD) as all I wear now are Panerai and the Rolex money has gone into property, pension and awaiting a grail Panerai.

The Sub is a great watch and at list good value, but they're so widely recognised, relatively common and so in demand that I just can't be arsed with them anymore. I treat my WISdom as a quirky hobby and wearing something that anyone with a bit of cash has/wants takes some of the fun from the ownership and with current used prices and lack of supply I've seen it as a good time to walk away.

Having had my rant, I would recommend that if the OP can keep the Sub for now and try a Panerai (or 2) then do so. I whole heartedly recommend the PAM233 as a first/only Panerai https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Cheers.
I feel almost the same way. I was 100% Rolex fanboy until I just received my first Panerai. It's opened my eyes to a whole new world, and I've been looking into 233s!

OP - I wouldn't sell the Sub. Definitely add instead.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 10:23 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Keep the Submariner as I believe it is one the cornerstones of a serious collection. It does not matter if you have one watch or 20 the Rolex diver will typically be there. That does not mean that you should not pick up a Panerai and the 112 is a nice watch. Go find a Panerai like the 112, 111, 104, 005, 001 and add it in.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 11:09 PM   #7
nick c
Banned

Please don’t sell your sub, it’s a keeper and add the 112.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 12:48 AM   #8
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll hang on to the Sub.

Does anyone have thoughts on the 112 in terms of it needing service after seven or 10 years? The couple I am looking at don’t appear to have been serviced.
Old 4 November 2019, 02:50 AM   #9
SAAS
"TRF" Member

The 112 has a ETA based movement that should not be difficult to service long term. The 112 or 210 will probably be my next purchase. I’m currently PAMless but have owned a 90 and then a 111. Each time I own one I’m getting closer to a base sandwich.
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 01:18 PM   #10
juve
"TRF" Member

Keep your Sub and add 112.
After 10 years it probably need some services. This shouldn't be expensive.
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:21 PM   #11
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Just save and add please
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:25 PM   #12
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
I get the fact that "popular opinion" would say no way, listen to yourself and get the watch YOU want, not the watch you think others want you to have, or what is "in".

Looking down at your wrist should first and foremost bring a smile, whatever brand it is.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 01:19 PM   #13
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
No

Sub + 111
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 11:46 AM   #14
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
No

Sub + 111
Exactly my current combo and I couldn't be happier... However, a 233 or 1033 are on the horizon.

To the OP, I'd personally keep your sub and add when you can. You should be able to pick up a 111 or 112 for 5k or so if you're patient.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:14 PM   #15
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Agree with others. You need the sub and a pam, though I prob wouldn’t go with 112. I like the cushion cases on the 1950s better. I have a 351 and love it. I wore it for a yr solid after I bought it, now I’m back on the Rolex kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2019, 04:26 AM   #16
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Agree with others. You need the sub and a pam, though I prob wouldn’t go with 112. I like the cushion cases on the 1950s better. I have a 351 and love it. I wore it for a yr solid after I bought it, now I’m back on the Rolex kick.

Thank you! What is a cushion case?
Old 10 November 2019, 09:18 AM   #17
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Thinking about selling my Sub for a PAM 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
Thank you! What is a cushion case?

Square case with rounded corners/edges. More comfortable, I think.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I wouldn’t sell the Sub. It’s a classic.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 05:36 PM   #19
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I'll be the devil's advocate

Sell the Sub? Depends on how much you like the "super case". The topic is been beaten to death. And NO, I don't like the Sub super case. It just doesn't work for my wrist size. Plus the secondary market price for 114060 is quite good. If you think you can live without it, I will be the lone voice to say "Sell The Sub".

PAM 112 is an awesome watch. I like 44mm Luminor case. I went through a few of them. Now I am settling down with a PAM 510. It has a P5000 in-house 8-day movement. So I gotta wind it, but I don't have to wind it every 2 days. Also the the case, bezel, dial are all different than previous ETA based Luminor. The change is subtle, but noticeable and I like them better.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 07:07 AM   #20
coaxial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 116610LN
Id keep the sub and add the 112 preowned.. Save yourself the headache when you decide you want the sub again.
Old 16 November 2019, 09:41 PM   #21
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Like everyone else said, keep the sub and add the 112.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 06:12 AM   #22
Alpharettaristi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 112
Got a 112 about 8 years ago and haven’t regretted it once. The 112 is a beautiful watch and one of the more iconic Panerais.

I also have a 16610 sub and I get far more complements on the 112 than the sub. Subs are everywhere but Panerais are pretty rare. Like everyone here has said, keep your sub. You’re really looking at two very different watches. I wear both the 112 and the sub about equally and I love them both. The fun of the 112 is in swapping out the bands to totally change the look.

In terms of service, I haven’t had to service mine yet but the ETA movement in the 112 is like the Honda Accord of watch engines. It’s not super sexy but it will go for years between service intervals and when you do need maintenance done it won’t cost you a ton like a Rolex. Good luck!
Alpharettaristi is offline   Reply With Quote