The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 November 2019, 01:08 PM   #1
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Thoughts On The Nomos Metro 38

As a big Nomos fan, this particular model has gotten my interest lately. It’s got a quirky, fun dial that looks like it would be at home at work or play.
I’d love to hear from any owners or anyone at all who has an opinion on this one.

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/metro/metro-38-1109
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 02:11 PM   #2
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Love it. Thought about getting the previous version with the power reserve. Big fan of the color scheme.
dbfagan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 03:31 PM   #3
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Yes Angelo!!!! Love it.

Also have the Amsterdam Club that I wear more than my metro but love the metro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 07:40 PM   #4
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Another nod for the Amsterdam club. Metro pieces are very cool too. Wish we had more Nomos threads on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Yes Angelo!!!! Love it.

Old 24 November 2019, 10:27 PM   #5
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes Angelo!!!! Love it.

dbfagan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 12:39 AM   #6
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes Angelo!!!! Love it.

Great pic Brandon.
If I decide on it I would get the one in my link.
I do have a question about the lugs though since they are very different than most.
Can you put an aftermarket strap on the watch or are you limited to OEM only?
It looks like it would be difficult to access the spring bars with a non OEM strap.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 25 November 2019, 01:45 AM   #7
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR

Super fun watch Angelo. Was not sure if it would hold my interest but after a few years it still a smile on my face every time. The problem with the Metro is that they make so many great looking designs now. I love the Urban Gray...and the Silvercut...and the Midnight Blue...and don’t get me started on the Rose Gold.

Good luck and post some pictures when it arrives!
Old 25 November 2019, 01:55 AM   #8
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post

Super fun watch Angelo. Was not sure if it would hold my interest but after a few years it still a smile on my face every time. The problem with the Metro is that they make so many great looking designs now. I love the Urban Gray...and the Silvercut...and the Midnight Blue...and don’t get me started on the Rose Gold.

Good luck and post some pictures when it arrives!
Hi Ralph, I was hoping that you would chime in on this one. Wasn’t sure that you had one or not but I see that you do and glad to hear that you’re enjoying it.

Are there any issues with changing to a different strap or haven’t you tried that yet?

You’re right about the different models. I love the Silvercut but it isn’t available in the hand wound version which is what I prefer.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 25 November 2019, 02:30 AM   #9
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Hi Ralph, I was hoping that you would chime in on this one. Wasn’t sure that you had one or not but I see that you do and glad to hear that you’re enjoying it.

Are there any issues with changing to a different strap or haven’t you tried that yet?

You’re right about the different models. I love the Silvercut but it isn’t available in the hand wound version which is what I prefer.

The OEM straps with the cut out for the release tab on the spring bar make things pretty easy. For non OEM without the cutout, a little practice with the pointy end of a springbar tool will get you there. Just a mater of opening up the springbar sleeve then pushing the tab with the tip of the tool. Kind of a pain in the neck and makes me a little nervous. There are a few companies making aftermarket with the cutouts.
Old 25 November 2019, 03:07 AM   #10
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The OEM straps with the cut out for the release tab on the spring bar make things pretty easy. For non OEM without the cutout, a little practice with the pointy end of a springbar tool will get you there. Just a mater of opening up the springbar sleeve then pushing the tab with the tip of the tool. Kind of a pain in the neck and makes me a little nervous. There are a few companies making aftermarket with the cutouts.
That’s pretty much what I thought but thanks for confirming. Lug width at 19mm is also an odd size but not a deal breaker although 20mm would have been much better.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 25 November 2019, 04:15 AM   #11
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s pretty much what I thought but thanks for confirming. Lug width at 19mm is also an odd size but not a deal breaker although 20mm would have been much better.

It has the room for a 20mm strap. Just requires some wrangling with the spring bar or carefully cutting an opening for the tab. The springbar is probably 15mm, I would not try finding a try finding one without the release. It would be almost impossible to remove with the strap on.
Old 25 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #12
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It has the room for a 20mm strap. Just requires some wrangling with the spring bar or carefully cutting an opening for the tab. The springbar is probably 15mm, I would not try finding a try finding one without the release. It would be almost impossible to remove with the strap on.
I hear what you’re saying Ralph.
I guess a leather Nato would work a lot easier than a two piece strap. I own a few from Bulang & Sons which are really top quality and soft as butter.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 25 November 2019, 01:27 PM   #13
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Any 20mm strap works Angelo. But the Nomos horween leather is awesome. Limited to black and brown from Nomos though.

Old 25 November 2019, 01:38 PM   #14
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any 20mm strap works Angelo. But the Nomos horween leather is awesome. Limited to black and brown from Nomos though.

Thanks Brandon. I actually have both of the Nomos straps for my Club and they are quite nice.
The quick release tabs on the Metro, while convenient, make changing to another strap brand a bit complicated.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 13 December 2019, 02:42 PM   #15
petro
"TRF" Member

Long time lurker, and only recently started posting.

It is a nice watch! Super comfortable, and you can almost forget you have a watch on because it is so light compared to the Rolex SS Pro models. I have the Metro Datum Gangreserve, and I feel like it is the perfect complement to a Rolex SS collection. For those days when you feel like doing a complete 180 and go leather, thin and low profile.

As of late, I have been smitten by the other Nomos references, and I have been taking a closer look at them. Good to know there are others like me in here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6467.jpeg (72.6 KB, 190 views)
petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 02:42 PM   #16
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Long time lurker, and only recently started posting.

It is a nice watch! Super comfortable, and you can almost forget you have a watch on because it is so light compared to the Rolex SS Pro models. I have the Metro Datum Gangreserve, and I feel like it is the perfect complement to a Rolex SS collection. For those days when you feel like doing a complete 180 and go leather, thin and low profile.

As of late, I have been smitten by the other Nomos references, and I have been taking a closer look at them. Good to know there are others like me in here!
It’s a great looking watch and, like many on this forum, I’m a huge fan of the brand.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 24 December 2019, 09:23 AM   #17
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I want to like Nomos. I really do! But each time I hold one in person they just feel....well...inferior. I don't know how else to explain it. That said, I do like the minimalist look to many of their pieces.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 09:34 AM   #18
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
I want to like Nomos. I really do! But each time I hold one in person they just feel....well...inferior. I don't know how else to explain it. That said, I do like the minimalist look to many of their pieces.
Inferior to what?
Old 24 December 2019, 11:21 AM   #19
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Inferior to what?

Exactly Ralph.
I’d like to hear the answer to that question myself.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 24 December 2019, 12:57 PM   #20
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Quote:
Exactly Ralph.

Good point. I guess my choice of words weren’t what I intended. What I hoping to express was simply that when I held the watch it didnt have a particularly solid feel to it. It rattled more than I was expecting, the tolerances didn’t seem quite what I was expecting, the leather band didn’t seem to be as supple as I had expected. That sort of thing.

My comments are not intended to ruffle any feathers. Simply my feelings having held one of the models. Perhaps I was expecting too much at that price point, or was just in a mood that day. But for whatever reason I just came away with a bit of a ‘meh’ feeling from the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 02:10 PM   #21
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Good point. I guess my choice of words weren’t what I intended. What I hoping to express was simply that when I held the watch it didnt have a particularly solid feel to it. It rattled more than I was expecting, the tolerances didn’t seem quite what I was expecting, the leather band didn’t seem to be as supple as I had expected. That sort of thing.

My comments are not intended to ruffle any feathers. Simply my feelings having held one of the models. Perhaps I was expecting too much at that price point, or was just in a mood that day. But for whatever reason I just came away with a bit of a ‘meh’ feeling from the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No feathers were ruffled Brian and, of course, you’re entitled to your opinion. I was just curious to hear your reasoning.
Personally, I find the workmanship to be top notch on the models I’ve handled.
And for a company that’s only been in business for about 20 years the brand has been extremely well received.
Quite honestly I don’t like all of their models either but the ones I do like I like a lot and feel that they are well worth the money. Perhaps the styling just isn’t your cup of tea.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 24 December 2019, 02:39 PM   #22
bdex75
"TRF" Member

When their first Neomatik (auto) came out a few years back I was at the event at my AD. When I first put it on I thought there was a bit of an “unrefined” feel to the movement. Seemed scratchy and more like a miyota than what I was expecting. It was a preproduction model and the others I have handled since have been much better. But the pricing on them gets them out of their “wheelhouse” IMHO.

I don’t think their manual wind club has anything that touches it at $1500. From a build and quality perspective. And I have had about them all.

Old 26 December 2019, 11:40 AM   #23
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly Ralph.
Lost one today Angelo. My kid was over for Xmas dinner today and said he was thinking about getting a watch. I thought to myself “What would Angelo do?” I went in the other room grabbed my watch box, took the 6263 out, put the box in front of him and said, pick one, it’s yours. He took the Club! Lord I miss that watch already!
Old 26 December 2019, 11:58 AM   #24
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lost one today Angelo. My kid was over for Xmas dinner today and said he was thinking about getting a watch. I thought to myself “What would Angelo do?” I went in the other room grabbed my watch box, took the 6263 out, put the box in front of him and said, pick one, it’s yours. He took the Club! Lord I miss that watch already!

Wonderful gift for your son Ralph and the perfect day for it as well.
I miss the watches I gifted too, especially the Explorer. But when I see my boys and they’re wearing my watches I know I did the right thing.
I’m sure you’ll have that feeling too.
Good job my friend.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 26 December 2019, 12:35 PM   #25
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

I want to like the Metro, but the lugs kill it for me. Much prefer the Orion or even Ludwig.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote