The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 March 2024, 04:34 AM   #1
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Tudor?

Not sure if this has been posted before I am sure it has but here we go. I currently own a Sub for the last 20-25 years or so. I also own an Explorer II for the last 10. I like both of these watches when I bought them new and still like them when I put them on, nostalgia I suppose.
I have been looking online and social media lately and started to gain interest in Tudor Pelagos, I liked the blue redbull FXD color and the standard black Pelagos on metal bracelet. After looking for about a week I go down to the AD to try them on and maybe come home with one. I was underwhelmed to say the least. I understand its titanium and lighter but the combination of weight, indices, hour hand and overall appearance I didnt see what I saw online. Granted online posts are made to look their best but when I try on a Rolex compared to what I see online I feel the same appreciation for the watch. I was surprised I was so let down by the Tudor. I ended up not buying it and left wondering what am I missing that everyone else see's?
richardlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 04:48 AM   #2
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
My brother has many Pelagos watches, he loves them. I have and love a couple of Black Bays, but don’t like Pelagos. It takes all kinds I guess

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:23 AM   #3
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
For me the chapter ring looks like a G shock plastic insert. Whereas the Rolex is all class. I always look at Tudor and think Rolex is better. I know they're less expensive, but I would always wish it were a Rolex.

To each their own, it's just how I feel.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:44 AM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

It’s the combination of the weight of titanium, non polished metal, lume without shiny gold surrounds, and a plastic looking dial that might have left you underwhelmed. It’s a look that a lot of people appreciate, but it’s not for everyone.

I see Tudor as a great, if not the best, option in that price range, especially when purchased pre owned.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:49 AM   #5
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Rootbeer
I really dont like the pelagos at all its too toy looking to me but i love it in other peoples wrists.
But the bb58 black tho is a total other story its the best watch for 4k( id say under 4k but its increased now )
Saransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 06:17 AM   #6
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience years ago out of curiosity I sat down and tried a blue Tudor on cant tell you what it was but looked nice. Immediately felt inferior build quality wise to my sub and I left with no illusions
dennispennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 06:45 AM   #7
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Tudor?

I had the same experience when I was looking at Cartiers and JLCs. I walked into an authorized dealer with the intention of buying a Santos, Tank, or a Reverso. But I walked out with an Omega Seamaster instead (believe it or not). I thought I wanted a dress watch, but I just didn’t like what I saw in person. I tried on the Seamaster and I wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 07:41 AM   #8
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

What’s funny is Omega has the opposite effect. They always look better in person than in photos
Old 18 March 2024, 07:52 AM   #9
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Tudor?

I don’t think you’re missing anything. I love Tudor and was looking to add the Pelagos 39 when it came out. Tried it on in person and did not feel anything. Unlike when I purchased the Black Bay ETA and the North Flag. Honestly that’s why I always try something on before buying. Everybody is different and some watches will fit your taste or someone else’s better
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:07 AM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
What’s funny is Omega has the opposite effect. They always look better in person than in photos
Yeah. That's my experience also.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:18 AM   #11
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I really like my BB41. I have never understood the idea of titanium for a luxury watch.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:21 AM   #12
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I had a blue Pelagos and ended up selling it. Just always preferred my Sub, even during dive trips, rougher adventures, etc. I never had the Pelagos use case, but did love the rubber bracelet.
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 11:14 AM   #13
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I love my Pelagos FXD...the watch reminds me of what Rolex used to be before they started making jewelry:)

Old 18 March 2024, 12:37 PM   #14
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Love my black ETA Pelagos specifically because the aesthetic and weight are so different from Rolex. I don’t need all my watches to be the same, I enjoy having different reasons to wear different watches.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 01:14 PM   #15
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
My Sub and ExII polar are the core of my collection and love Tudor as well. I was interested in the same watch. I couldn't get over the size and the countdown bezel. I use the timing bezel as a second timezone/timer and my brain isn't used to it. Other than that, it's a great watch.

I felt the same as you when it comes to the Ranger. I was excited to see it and when I saw it in person, I wasn't feeling it. It happens. I'm a big fan of others in the Tudor portfolio, though.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 03:31 PM   #16
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback provides a perspective that I am not alone.
I dont doubt its a great watch I guess its just not for me.
Old 18 March 2024, 03:33 PM   #17
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
I love my Pelagos FXD...the watch reminds me of what Rolex used to be before they started making jewelry:)

I am glad you enjoy it. Your picture is great and one of the reasons I was considering purchasing one. After trying it on it just didnt capture the same sentiment I get from seeing your photo.
Old 18 March 2024, 03:56 PM   #18
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post

This reference is my favourite from Tudor
Old 18 March 2024, 05:27 PM   #19
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
This sentiment can be said about a seemingly endless amount of watches that as a WIS we encounter. We like watches, we like the looks of them, the functionality of them the style of them, the complications etc. within that realm, individually we gravitate towards specific design elements in our collections so to speak. One of the evolutions of this process for each of us is we find pieces that we love in photos but don’t care for much once we’ve seen them in person. Or, pieces we liked in photos, but absolutely fell in love with once we saw them in the metal. Then, there are those same examples, complicated by how we feel about how they actually “feel” in person, and additionally…how we feel about how they look on “our particular” wrist?! I have found a great difference between watches that I think are beautiful and look great in my watch box, and those that I actually like wearing, and feel look good on my wrists. Subsequently, those beautiful watches that looked so pretty in my collection, the ones that I would love to look at and appreciate on a rainy night, have all gone bye-byes, for watches that I actually wear. Some of them I almost even miss, but…not enough that they would have gotten any real wrist time! Either way, this sis why it’s so important to spend a good amount of time trying them on in the metal!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:39 PM   #20
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Just a thought why not go vintage Tudor? In my opinion they are way better than the new models
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 06:11 PM   #21
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlo View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before I am sure it has but here we go. I currently own a Sub for the last 20-25 years or so. I also own an Explorer II for the last 10. I like both of these watches when I bought them new and still like them when I put them on, nostalgia I suppose.
I have been looking online and social media lately and started to gain interest in Tudor Pelagos, I liked the blue redbull FXD color and the standard black Pelagos on metal bracelet. After looking for about a week I go down to the AD to try them on and maybe come home with one. I was underwhelmed to say the least. I understand its titanium and lighter but the combination of weight, indices, hour hand and overall appearance I didnt see what I saw online. Granted online posts are made to look their best but when I try on a Rolex compared to what I see online I feel the same appreciation for the watch. I was surprised I was so let down by the Tudor. I ended up not buying it and left wondering what am I missing that everyone else see's?
It is a taste thing. I am not attracted to the pelages due to the color of the bezels, but titatinum watches will always weight less and also have a certain dull look.

Personally I think the Tudor back bay 39mm is the sweet spot, or the new 41mm burgundy black bay. They are my two favorite Tudors
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 09:23 PM   #22
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good that you went and tried it on. Not every watch is for everyone.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:02 PM   #23
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Different strokes and all...... My Pelagos blue ticks lots of boxes for me.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th TRF.JPG (273.1 KB, 526 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:17 PM   #24
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I felt the same way when I've seen them in-person. To me the dial looks like a hunk of plastic you would see on a Swatch. That combined with the square markers ruins it for me. I'm not saying it's a bad watch, but for me the look doesn't work.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:18 PM   #25
SCF87
"TRF" Member

I have a Pelagos 39, which I just picked up about a month ago. I love the watch, the only drawback is the lume on the hands which has been addressed in plenty of posts/articles. I have also previously had a BB58, which I sold when I got my Sub. There is no comparison in Tudor and Rolex's quality, thats for sure. From finishing to feel, Rolex is better. That being said, I have really enjoyed both Tudors that I've owned and recommend the brand to anyone looking for a more affordable/attainable watch.
SCF87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 06:44 AM   #26
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidelock View Post
This sentiment can be said about a seemingly endless amount of watches that as a WIS we encounter. We like watches, we like the looks of them, the functionality of them the style of them, the complications etc. within that realm, individually we gravitate towards specific design elements in our collections so to speak. One of the evolutions of this process for each of us is we find pieces that we love in photos but don’t care for much once we’ve seen them in person. Or, pieces we liked in photos, but absolutely fell in love with once we saw them in the metal. Then, there are those same examples, complicated by how we feel about how they actually “feel” in person, and additionally…how we feel about how they look on “our particular” wrist?! I have found a great difference between watches that I think are beautiful and look great in my watch box, and those that I actually like wearing, and feel look good on my wrists. Subsequently, those beautiful watches that looked so pretty in my collection, the ones that I would love to look at and appreciate on a rainy night, have all gone bye-byes, for watches that I actually wear. Some of them I almost even miss, but…not enough that they would have gotten any real wrist time! Either way, this sis why it’s so important to spend a good amount of time trying them on in the metal!

This is a great summary of collecting watches!

I can relate with “things that are nice to look at but get no wrist time”. A Planet Ocean, a very nice Seiko Prospex, a Squale GMT, a Hamilton Khaki, and most recently a Tudor Black Bay Pro!!!

Loved all of them in pictures, even in person when I handled them for the first time. But, after the newness phase wore off on each, I found myself pondering how I actually felt. With each listed I realized it was just money sitting there as I never truly bonded with them. I think the only one I miss even slightly is the PO. It was beautiful!

This also is why I would never actually pursue a Pepsi… such a gorgeous watch…. That I’d never actually wear!!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 07:10 AM   #27
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Different strokes and all...... My Pelagos blue ticks lots of boxes for me.
dP
Mine too, glad we all have choices. Buy the watches you like
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 07:20 AM   #28
studioal
"TRF" Member

This is my take after spending some time with both Pelagi (Pelagoses?) on wrist, a blue 42mm and a friend's P39. I really love the blue Pelagos in photos, but when I had it on wrist I was pretty underwhelmed. Mainly with the shade of blue, but also that the bezel insert and dial felt—as others have said—plastic-like. The depth of the dial is really nice, but something was just amiss. The finishing on the case felt very industrial, and lacked the panache that old Subs (I own a 79090) have.

With regards to the P39, I could not get behind the sunburst finish that was chosen for the insert. Proportions were better, but the flatness of the dial left a lot to be desired. I think both watches feel very sterile and lack the warmth that older Subs have. However, I can see why they tick boxes for the folks that have them and still do feel they offer a lot of value.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 10:08 PM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
One man's trash is another man's....

You get the idea.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 04:39 AM   #30
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
My P39 to me is a far better watch for my lifestyle than the 1/2 dozen Sub's I've owned.

YMMV.

Tudor has taken the "sports watch" mantle from Rolex as the Sub moved more upmarket.

For me P39 is a modern take on the evolution of the spirit of the 4/5 digit reference Subs.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote