The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 October 2019, 03:55 PM   #31
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
they discount at lange boutiques??
No, at least not in my experience.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:39 AM   #32
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
The depreciation on Lange is crazy.
Says the guy with not one but two Blancpains in his collection.

But seriously, some really great insight in this thread. It is also nice to hear such optimism for the brand.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:50 AM   #33
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Says the guy with not one but two Blancpains in his collection.

But seriously, some really great insight in this thread. It is also nice to hear such optimism for the brand.
I bought them both gray and won't lose a dime on them. I'd never pay msrp for blancpain or Lange. I'd definitely buy a Lange, just gray only.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:28 PM   #34
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
they discount at lange boutiques??
They did when I bought my Saxonia a couple of years ago. No idea about now.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 08:58 AM   #35
Gravity
"TRF" Member

I don't think the release of their Odysseus stainless sport watch helped things at all. How could they have green lit that design??? Hard to imagine it came out of the same company as their other horological marvels. Was a major "make it or break it" opportunity for them imo and they failed miserably.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 09:05 AM   #36
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
I don't think the release of their Odysseus stainless sport watch helped things at all. How could they have green lit that design??? Hard to imagine it came out of the same company as their other horological marvels. Was a major "make it or break it" opportunity for them imo and they failed miserably.
Based on what thought process was it a miss?

The piece is already sold out for 12 months plus, it got a huge amount of online coverage and in the flesh and on the wrist it is amazing.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:04 AM   #37
impinth06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post

The piece is already sold out for 12 months plus, it got a huge amount of online coverage and in the flesh and on the wrist it is amazing.
Yep, can confirm. I have a boutique edition 1815 chronograph, was quote 12-18 month wait time to receive the new SS
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:21 AM   #38
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I guess I'm in the minority of those who like it. Remember, both the RO and Nauti got bad press and pessimism when they came out. People forget that.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:27 AM   #39
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Lange depreciation is the only way I’ll afford one in a decade or however long it takes to become a partner at my firm.
Old 10 December 2019, 04:41 AM   #40
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I have a feeling that we are going to see this change over the next 4 years. The brand is cracking down hard on discounting and taking away AD statuses left and right. Couple that with the new SS sports series, and I think Lange is on track for a bright and recognizable future.

I agree with this view
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 04:56 AM   #41
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Like art, I guess design and aesthetics are subjective but I have yet to hear anyone I know who thought this design was positive. Not sure how many of them they are making a year but selling out or having a waiting list doesn't mean it helped their image when people are still bashing it. I also hear most grey market dealers had orders in immediately in hopes to flip them at a premium, so when they all land and hit the market it will be a better litmus test to see where they are priced and how they are moving. All and all if you do like it, then it seems to be a no brainer to have a new "sports" Lange for $30k and I think many fans of the brand did just that regardless of how it looks.
Old 10 December 2019, 04:57 AM   #42
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
I agree with this view
I love the brand regardless of what I think of the ODYSSEUS and hope this is the start of something great for them as well.
Old 10 December 2019, 05:12 AM   #43
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Like art, I guess design and aesthetics are subjective but I have yet to hear anyone I know who thought this design was positive.
Well take me as a first then.

I‘ve been to an ALS boutique recently and they told me, that they have a list of almost 50 orders on the Odysseus.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 06:56 PM   #44
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

Make that two. Hope to get the call next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrBenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 07:46 PM   #45
M.B.
"TRF" Member

Haven't seen the Odysseus yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for a lumen on rubber (think Rubber B swimskin) to take on the PP Aquanaut
M.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 04:38 PM   #46
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I bought my Zeitwerk brand new from an AD as the math worked when looking at comparables in the market. I've never bought a new watch before, always gone used and gone through more than a dozen high end watches. Never thought I would be buying new!

Basically the cost of a service when buying a used watch, plus the older movement made paying a slightly premium sensible...
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 04:43 AM   #47
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I really dig ALS, and have a growing collection but had not bought one because of the depreciation. Getting one new just made me feel like I'd regret it when I can buy something else and have it be worth more instantly.

That said I've lusted after a dato and helped my buddy buy one used and man it's a stunner and a hell of a lot of watch for the money.

So I pulled the trigger and just got a dato lumen...can't wait for it to arrive.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 05:34 AM   #48
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 05:37 AM   #49
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant to type something. Makes me sad that ALS do depreciate a lot more than the big brands because I think their watches are 2nd to none.
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 09:15 AM   #50
Costa Rakaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next
Do you believe that this one was depreciated?

alang_6121986.jpg
Costa Rakaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 10:33 AM   #51
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
The depreciation on Lange is crazy. Similar Patek equivalents to their Lange counterparts don’t take a hit like this. Even less popular Patek references equal to Lange will take a modest $5k or 10k hit but nothing like Lange. It’s a shame because I love them, but I’m unwilling to buy one new if this continues to be the case and will go with FP Journe or Patek.
I was looking at the Lange 1815 Annual Calendar retail $43,800 and Pateks 5146 Annual Calendar, retail $43,090.

You can easily find several Patek 5146s for under $27,000 on Chrono24, even some under $25k. You are going to pay north of $30k for the Lange 1815 AC.

So, I really do not understand this image that Lange's resale is so much worse than Patek.

Once you get outside the Nautilus and Aquanaut, most of Patek's watches do not have a good resale value.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:02 AM   #52
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I was looking at the Lange 1815 Annual Calendar retail $43,800 and Pateks 5146 Annual Calendar, retail $43,090.

You can easily find several Patek 5146s for under $27,000 on Chrono24, even some under $25k. You are going to pay north of $30k for the Lange 1815 AC.

So, I really do not understand this image that Lange's resale is so much worse than Patek.

Once you get outside the Nautilus and Aquanaut, most of Patek's watches do not have a good resale value.
Completely agree - I was able to buy two Patek modern dress watches for less than 50% of their retail price. The advice buy what you like makes a lot more sense when you see such depreciation- at least you still have something you personally enjoy
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:05 AM   #53
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Used Langes are spectacular value for the quality you get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 067E5B7C-4DC8-46C1-B130-D9014B708ACB.jpeg (272.5 KB, 423 views)
Old 23 May 2020, 11:12 AM   #54
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post

One *possible* reason could be there are more 5146 in the market, simply because it is a much older model than the 1815 AC, which debuted recently.
diracpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:46 AM   #55
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

With the right AD, buying new is sometimes pretty sensible once you factor in the cost of a service if you get an older cmplication heavy used watch that hasn't been recently serviced.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:11 AM   #56
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Lange CEO Mr. Wilhelm Schmid's thoughts on the subject (interview from 2018) >>>

Source: https://www.revolution.watch/lange-way-top/

==================================

One thing that’s highly relevant to the kind of longevity and relevance we’re talking about is how a brand and its watches perform in the secondary market, since it impacts long-term value and brand perception. Is this something that A Lange & Söhne prioritises?

The performance of our watches in the secondary market is something that we monitor very tightly. We also liaise with all the major auction houses, we provide them with factory certification as long as they can give us the case and movement numbers of any A Lange & Söhne pieces that they have. Anything beyond that and we would need to have the watch physically with us so that we can do proper authentication. Honestly though, just with the case and movement number, it’s already very safe, because the likelihood that someone has replaced a dial or something like that on one of our watches is pretty unheard of. And what we do on our end is to take the original retail price of a watch and compare it with the auction results.

I’ll give you an example — if you bought one of the first Lange 1 timepieces back in 1995 or ’96, that would have set you back around DM 21,600, which is about EUR 10,500. If you put it on auction today, you will probably get back EUR 16,000 or EUR 17,000, which is a good return. Of course, what you can’t do is to compare the price of a Lange 1 from the boutique today with one that you bought 25 years ago. The main challenge for us in this area is that very few of our watches really come to auction, but when they do we are very happy with how they perform.

Another issue we have to deal with sometimes is something that’s quite common on the internet, which is perception versus reality. For some reason, it’s common to believe that there are certain brands that you can buy one day and sell the next day to make a profit, but we all know that’s complete nonsense. There are a million examples to prove that you can lose up to 50 percent of your purchase value, but people still believe otherwise.

And here’s an example of how some things can get distorted online — it’s a funny story about our Zeitwerk Minute Repeater that we launched in 2015. About five months after we presented it, I was in New York having dinner with some customers, and one of them said to me, “I’m very unhappy with you guys. I’ve ordered the Zeitwerk Minute Repeater, and I’m waiting for it, but I’ve just seen it available online on a reseller’s website with a discounted price.” I told him that was literally impossible, because at that point we hadn’t distributed any minute repeaters yet. And I was absolutely sure of what I was saying, so he took out his phone and showed me the website — and believe it or not, I recognised the photo he pointed out to me. It was my own hand, which I knew immediately because of my wedding ring! Someone took a photo of my wrist during the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) while I was wearing the Zeitwerk Minute Repeater, and used that photo to pretend that they had an actual watch for sale!

This is what I mean, that we have to work against such false perceptions all the time, false in all kinds of ways, but I’m not too worried that it will be too big of a problem for us. Our best time is still to come.

====================================
diracpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:50 AM   #57
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Yah, I agree with what most said above, most watches you buy will lose 50% (or more) right away. So do your homework before you buy. I bought my first ALS brand new as it was to celebrate a very important day of my life. I knew I would have lost 50% or more, but I wanted to have that special date on my warranty card and I wouldn't sell it in my lifetime anyway.

I now want to have a Datograph 39mm, I think it does pretty alright. Yes, it's literally 50% off current RRP. BUT say for Datograph 39mm back then, RRP would be lower I suppose (sorry I don't have the exact price when Datograph first came out, but it's safe to believe the RRP was much cheaper back then). And a very good chance AD was able to offer a much better discount at that time too.

If you bought a brand new Datograph 39mm, I suppose a good chance you would have most of your money back now.

If you want to buy a watch and turn it into a profit next day, then why would AD/brand sell to you in the price?
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:47 AM   #58
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I Purchased a Patek 5712, 5990 and 5164 at a discount not too long after their release... from an AD nonetheless. Things change
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:30 PM   #59
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Actually, outside of AP/Rolex/Patek ( and maybe RM ), depreciation of 50% is the norm for most watch brands. Some are depreciated even more, like 50% from an already hefty 25 to 30% discount. The fact that Richemont sucks at marketing doesn't help and they have not been able to duplicate the hype of these 4 brands.

That said, Lange makes absolutely fabulous watches, especially the movement finishing. I have often wondered why I don't own one yet.
Outside of very specific AP/Rolex/Patek models most watches depreciate. People forget that Rolex SS models used to gather dust in cases and be sold for huge discounts from ADs. Things go in cycles.

Most Patek dress watches depreciate like crazy.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:44 PM   #60
impinth06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
Yah, I agree with what most said above, most watches you buy will lose 50% (or more) right away. So do your homework before you buy. I bought my first ALS brand new as it was to celebrate a very important day of my life. I knew I would have lost 50% or more, but I wanted to have that special date on my warranty card and I wouldn't sell it in my lifetime anyway.

I now want to have a Datograph 39mm, I think it does pretty alright. Yes, it's literally 50% off current RRP. BUT say for Datograph 39mm back then, RRP would be lower I suppose (sorry I don't have the exact price when Datograph first came out, but it's safe to believe the RRP was much cheaper back then). And a very good chance AD was able to offer a much better discount at that time too.

If you bought a brand new Datograph 39mm, I suppose a good chance you would have most of your money back now.

If you want to buy a watch and turn it into a profit next day, then why would AD/brand sell to you in the price?
Original PT Datograph price was $46,200 in 1999. In 2012 at the end of the 39mm, it was $78,500. Other than the “Dufourgraph”, both 39mm PT and RG can be had now (box + paper, some with deployant, serviced) bellow the 1999 price.

I ended up with the 1815 Chronograph Boutique brought last fall
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote