The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2016, 06:25 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
DD40 - Warning to new buyers

So it's not really that big a deal, but I figured I'd share my issue.

I received my DD40 recently and absolutely love it. When I received it I immediately removed 2 links. The size felt great. I had of course been inside in the air conditioning all night and morning prior to it's arrival around 10:30AM.

I wore it around the house for a little while with no issues. Within the first 10 minutes of being outside in the humidity and heat I noticed it was starting to get a little tight on the wrist. After about an hour it started to get uncomfortable, and after a couple hours it felt rather strangling.

I decided to add a link back in to loosen it up.

Long story short, I feel I'm right in between sizes here (at least for the summer) and there's no option whatsoever for micro adjustments. Additionally, I just called RSC to ask if there was any option for a half link or even to customize my bracelet to provide a better fit and I was told "unfortunately there is nothing we can do for that model".

SO, in conclusion, do I still love the watch? Yes. Do i regret buying it? No. Is it perfect? Close to it, but this is definitely the only thing keeping it from being perfect IMO. It's a real pain the ass and IMO is a huge oversight in bracelet design.

My suggestion to potential buyers; figure out a way to try one on before making the commitment. Would I have bought the watch again if I knew I would have these issues? I believe I would have, but I would have definitely given it much much more thought and possibly given more consideration to other models.

I hope Rolex will hear this complaint, as it's a shame to have such an oversight on what I consider to be a near perfect model.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 06:30 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
You can buy a 1.25 link. If you need 0.50 then you'd have to buy two 1.25 links and swap out two regular links. Pricey. It's the one downside of the presidential bracelet.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
You can buy a 1.25 link. If you need 0.50 then you'd have to buy two 1.25 links and swap out two regular links. Pricey. It's the one downside of the presidential bracelet.
interesting! you have experience with this? Any chance you have a part number or anything? Thanks.

Not surprised that TRF generates better info than RSC ;)
Old 27 July 2016, 06:51 AM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Definitely good information to know. I'm fortunate that with the Oyster bracelets by wrist somehow fits into this sweet spot where I barely use my microadjustment (usually only after a prolonged day outside). Normally the bracelet remains snug but comfortable. I am still a long way away from the DD40 but it's something I will definitely consider.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 06:56 AM   #5
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Do you have a picture? I would love see what loose is.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 06:59 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yep. Ran into this same issue with the DD2...it's why I'm no longer an owner. Any PM model I'm going to sink that much money into will have some sort of micro adjustment. Period.

Mike is correct about the 1.25 links...it has been discussed here numerous times. You may be able to search and dig one of them up.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 07:01 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Definitely good information to know. I'm fortunate that with the Oyster bracelets by wrist somehow fits into this sweet spot where I barely use my microadjustment (usually only after a prolonged day outside). Normally the bracelet remains snug but comfortable. I am still a long way away from the DD40 but it's something I will definitely consider.
That's great for you. They've made such advancements in easy adjustments anyhow with the easy link and glide lock systems, it's disappointing they haven't come up with something for the DD40s.

Thanks to Kilyung (and not RSC) I have confirmed with RSC the 1.25 link is available. The price is about $700 which sucks, but I guess I have to pay play right?

In other stupid news, they won't let me just order it, i'd have to bring the watch in to show them or send them my watch. I mean this just makes no sense for a link. I can provide them my serial number, name, warranty information, etc.

Man, as much as I love this brand, they can really drive me nuts. It's not like I'm asking them for a BLRO bezel insert. I just want my watch to be sized correctly, oh yeah and hand them $700.
Old 27 July 2016, 07:25 AM   #8
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
That's great for you. They've made such advancements in easy adjustments anyhow with the easy link and glide lock systems, it's disappointing they haven't come up with something for the DD40s.

Thanks to Kilyung (and not RSC) I have confirmed with RSC the 1.25 link is available. The price is about $700 which sucks, but I guess I have to pay play right?

In other stupid news, they won't let me just order it, i'd have to bring the watch in to show them or send them my watch. I mean this just makes no sense for a link. I can provide them my serial number, name, warranty information, etc.

Man, as much as I love this brand, they can really drive me nuts. It's not like I'm asking them for a BLRO bezel insert. I just want my watch to be sized correctly, oh yeah and hand them $700.
Could you have an AD order the links for you?
Old 27 July 2016, 07:26 AM   #9
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:

Did you purchase the watch at an authorized dealer? They should be able to order one for you and ship it to you if your not local. You wont have to leave your home.

If not, you can't really blame them. Its for the same reason you cannot purchase additional dials for watches unless you swap. Rolex does not want parts floating around in used for sale sections.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 07:28 AM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Well that does suck. But I wouldn't send it in...how are you going to know if you need one link or two? I think I would go in there with it so it can be sized properly.

In for a penny, in for a pound, right?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 07:34 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Could you have an AD order the links for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Did you purchase the watch at an authorized dealer? They should be able to order one for you and ship it to you if your not local. You wont have to leave your home.

If not, you can't really blame them. Its for the same reason you cannot purchase additional dials for watches unless you swap. Rolex does not want parts floating around in used for sale sections.
I'm reaching out to the AD now, hopefully they can just send it to me directly, but why add a bunch of extra steps for no reason.

I do blame RSC in this case. I'd be happy to provide them my serial number, warranty number that's also on my card, full name and dealer info. This is not the same as a dial trade in situation. This is a straight purchase. There's absolutely no reason for them to have to examine my watch in order for me to make this purchase. I'm trying to add a link to this watch so I can wear it comfortably not trying to obtain a Daytona Panda dial or something so i can list it in the sale sections. This is ridiculous.
Old 27 July 2016, 07:36 AM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Well that does suck. But I wouldn't send it in...how are you going to know if you need one link or two? I think I would go in there with it so it can be sized properly.

In for a penny, in for a pound, right?
If I can make it in I will. I'm really hoping I don't need to buy 2 of these links, especially at $1400. So regardless of whether I order it or buy it in the service center, I'm not buying more than 1 to start out. I may find just the one 1.25 link enough of an improvement. Why buy 2 at $1400 when one might do the job? If i could easily order it, I would simply buy 1 try it for a week, and if it's still not working out, consider adding another. I guess they'd make me go back in to RSC to buy the second.
Old 27 July 2016, 07:37 AM   #13
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
I'm reaching out to the AD now, hopefully they can just send it to me directly, but why add a bunch of extra steps for no reason.

I do blame RSC in this case. I'd be happy to provide them my serial number, warranty number that's also on my card, full name and dealer info. This is not the same as a dial trade in situation. This is a straight purchase. There's absolutely no reason for them to have to examine my watch in order for me to make this purchase. I'm trying to add a link to this watch so I can wear it comfortably not trying to obtain a Daytona Panda dial or something so i can list it in the sale sections. This is ridiculous.
The AD will order it for you no problem if you purchased the watch there and ship directly to you case closed.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 27 July 2016, 07:39 AM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Just start wearing it a little loose rather than starting with a snug fit.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 08:00 AM   #15
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I looked for a year to find a 1.25 link for my 118238 36mm.. Never found one and AD near me did not know anything about it
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 09:31 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They added the micro adjustment clasp on the new DJ41s because of this problem but many don't like the way it looks on the Jubilee so on the more expensive and elegant President I don't think it is going to happen.

But a half link should be easily available from RSC then instead.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 10:07 AM   #17
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I have a skinny wrist that fluctuates greatly in the hot weather so when it comes to PM, it had to be the 116618 where the glide-lock will help greatly. Hope you get resolution shortly so you can fully enjoy.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 10:08 AM   #18
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Good to point out for anybody looking to get a DD40. I have a 7.75" wrist and like to wear my watches loose, like where I can wedge two fingers to the first knuckle between the bracelet and my wrist. For my Sub I have adjusted the Glidelock and left it there for the most part.

I'm buying my DD40 from my AD, so they were willing to bend over backwards to help me with this issue. They brought another DD40 over to use as temporary donor links and allowed me to try various combinations. I thought the 1+1 was too tight and the 1+1+1 was too lose. They were then willing to order a 1.25 link with no obligation to buy as they could keep it for their watchmaker. 1+1.25 was almost there, so I knew 1.25 + 1.25 would be perfect. Pricey but a small cost to fully enjoy this watch I think.

I did research on this in the forum and unfortunately can't remember to credit the member who provided this information, but I'll repost it here:

1 link = 5.5 mm
MSRP $615 for YG

1.25 link = 6.875 mm
MSRP $720 for YG

The AD said that Rolex has really cracked down on ordering parts, even links, but I would think an AD would be willing to order at least one link for you even if you didn't buy the watch there.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 10:13 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Just start wearing it a little loose rather than starting with a snug fit.
I agree with Chad. I've had the same issue. And I swapped a link in and out multiple times.

But ultimately, I'm doing what you suggest. And it's made a great difference for me. Now it feels super.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 10:14 AM   #20
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Dang, I hate to hear that. Having a PM watch makes fit so much more important because of the weight. I'm very happy my Platona has the easy link. Hope you get it figured out. There is nothing like a good fitting watch.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 10:31 AM   #21
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Both the jubilee and the presidential are long overdue for some sort of slick micro adjustment.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 10:33 AM   #22
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:

Honestly, it should have come from the factory with a 1.25 link already installed.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 11:13 AM   #23
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I had the same problem with my Datejust on super jubilee. Was very frustrating, and quite uncomfortable during humid season. My GMT is much more comfortable.
Old 27 July 2016, 12:09 PM   #24
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I have not had this issue with my DD40, but I sure have it with my PP 5980. I have to get a half link. Strange because the 5711r fits just fine!
Old 27 July 2016, 12:56 PM   #25
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Both the jubilee and the presidential are long overdue for some sort of slick micro adjustment.
Rolex filed a patent on just such an improvement but we've yet to see it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 01:14 PM   #26
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is a really annoying situation they have you in but I think you've reasoned it out correctly. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. To have such a great piece and always be fiddling with the bracelet would get under my skin as well. Let's see the link when you get it all installed.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 01:21 PM   #27
Eric5964
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Brtlg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
The jubilee did get the ability for micro adjustments this year, but unfortunately it comes at the expense of breaking up the harmony of the jubilee with a clasp thrown into the mix. Not a fan.

EricE

Watch addict
Michigan
Eric5964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 01:30 PM   #28
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

That would be a deal breaker for me. I don't have an exceptionally big wrist but a couple of times I tried on a DD II, it was too tight. It seems sometimes it's fully linked with 21 and other ADs have 23 links. Found that frustrating enough. Having to work this much to insure a proper fit coupled with the bureaucracy would give me pause given the other options at the price point. Then again, yours a beauty and once it's set, hopefully you'll have a good fit for a lifetime.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 02:43 PM   #29
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

You could buy an EZ link and add it on to the oyster bracelet. This would allow you to adjust I believe by 5mm on the fly
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 05:11 PM   #30
sathwik
Banned

Watch: 116506A
I constantly face this issue with my DD40. It's sometimes perfect and sometimes a little loose and uncomfortable. But I guess that's the price you pay for a hidden clasp and continuous bracelet look. I even wonder how they could have provided a micro adjustment without altering the bracelet and clasp continuity, but I soon realize it's quite not possible.
Still love the watch, my all time favorite watch!
sathwik is offline   Reply With Quote