The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 March 2020, 06:45 AM   #1
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
<<< replacing hands in service >>>

Good afternoon fellow Ristis.

So I managed to drop my one and only the other day . No damage to the case luckily, but ever since it's been running slow.

I took it in to the boutique here and they sent it off the the service centre for a look see. They wrote back with a full service estimate... not surprising since the watch is going on 4 years old.

I have no issue with the service or the cost, but what's got me slightly concerned is that they state in their service agreement that they will:

"replace the hand set in order to provide the best reliabilty"

It goes on to say:

"If you do not wish to have them replaced please note we cant assure you that we will be able to keep the original ones despite the utmost care they might not be reusable after dismantling".

This sort of bugs me as I'm concerned the new hand set might not match the lume of the dial and of course I'd like to keep it all original if possible. I am being paranoid?

I am unable to get a clear answer from Panerai as to why this is the case so I'm here to ask the experts ... what gives?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 06:48 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Good afternoon fellow Ristis.

So I managed to drop my one and only the other day . No damage to the case luckily, but ever since it's been running slow.

I took it in to the boutique here and they sent it off the the service centre for a look see. They wrote back with a full service estimate... not surprising since the watch is going on 4 years old.

I have no issue with the service or the cost, but what's got me slightly concerned is that they state in their service agreement that they will:

"replace the hand set in order to provide the best reliabilty"

It goes on to say:

"If you do not wish to have them replaced please note we cant assure you that we will be able to keep the original ones despite the utmost care they might not be reusable after dismantling".

This sort of bugs me as I'm concerned the new hand set might not match the lume of the dial and of course I'd like to keep it all original if possible. I am being paranoid?

I am unable to get a clear answer from Panerai as to why this is the case so I'm here to ask the experts ... what gives?

Old 4 March 2020, 06:49 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry mods, duplicate post ... added picture
Old 4 March 2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hi Brian. Can’t say I’ve experienced the same, but my Panerai doesn’t have those beautiful gold hands. ;-)

The need to replace the hands must be from their experience. Maybe think of the hands as an extension of the movement? That needs replacing from time to time to ensure good working order? It’s not like the hands patina these days.

Anyway, sorry for the annoyance and I hope they sort things to your satisfaction.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Replacement hands should match without problems. Many brand do this during service.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Hi Brian. Can’t say I’ve experienced the same, but my Panerai doesn’t have those beautiful gold hands. ;-)

The need to replace the hands must be from their experience. Maybe think of the hands as an extension of the movement? That needs replacing from time to time to ensure good working order? It’s not like the hands patina these days.

Anyway, sorry for the annoyance and I hope they sort things to your satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Replacement hands should match without problems. Many brand do this during service.
Thanks guys

I guess I didn’t realize hands were such a finicky thing to work around during a routine service.
Old 4 March 2020, 12:20 PM   #7
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
The hands are press fit, Au is malleable and may not grip the shaft properly when reinstalled.

Old 4 March 2020, 01:17 PM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’ve heard this with other brands also. I guess removing them often leads to them bending or becoming altered in a way where they recommend a full repair. I think the only tome I’d pay any mind would be one vintage Watch. Otherwise with modern lume it wouldn’t bother me in the least.

I will say this though. I had a 16710 once that I put up for sale. Being the honest person I am I disclosed that the hands had been replaced in service... with literally the exact same hands. Rolex said the same thing essentially and replaced them for free. This is with modern like so it’s the exact same hands. I had a few people decline the watch based on that.
Old 4 March 2020, 01:26 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
The hands are press fit, Au is malleable and may not grip the shaft properly when reinstalled.

Yep, it's also my understanding this is the reason. That's a great looking Radiomir, Brian, and I'm sure it'll come back as good as new.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 03:25 PM   #10
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Yep, it's also my understanding this is the reason. That's a great looking Radiomir, Brian, and I'm sure it'll come back as good as new.
This. Original hands often get damaged/scratched when removed so replacing them seems logical.
Old 4 March 2020, 03:55 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
This is correct. I'd only worry about it with a vintage watch.

I suspect these hands have a pretty tight fit and taking them off has a high risk of damaging.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 03:57 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Rolex hands are gold as well and this rarely presents an issue. But yes, it does happen from time to time.

Panerai does this replacing with their steel hands as well though.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 06:50 PM   #13
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

Interesting
Old 4 March 2020, 09:25 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks Don, makes sense
Old 4 March 2020, 09:27 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I’ve heard this with other brands also. I guess removing them often leads to them bending or becoming altered in a way where they recommend a full repair. I think the only tome I’d pay any mind would be one vintage Watch. Otherwise with modern lume it wouldn’t bother me in the least.

I will say this though. I had a 16710 once that I put up for sale. Being the honest person I am I disclosed that the hands had been replaced in service... with literally the exact same hands. Rolex said the same thing essentially and replaced them for free. This is with modern like so it’s the exact same hands. I had a few people decline the watch based on that.
Interesting ... I guess I would’ve preferred to keep mine as original as possible not so much for resale but just knowing it’s the same as the day it was born.
Old 4 March 2020, 09:28 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Thank you Tony, I appreciate the kind words
Old 4 March 2020, 09:31 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
This. Original hands often get damaged/scratched when removed so replacing them seems logical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Rolex hands are gold as well and this rarely presents an issue. But yes, it does happen from time to time.

Thanks Bas

I guess that what made me wonder, as I have had service done on Rolex models before, but there was never a need to replace the hands.

I just was concerned that I‘ll end up with new hands with lume that won’t match the sandwich dial. It would appear there is no other choice
Old 5 March 2020, 12:39 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Actually. One more follow up question...

In the written repair estimate they reference "movement requiring lubrication, dry oil".

Perhaps this is just standardlingo and something they perform on all services but it does concern me slightly that a less than 4 year old watch would have "dry oil".

Is this normal? The watch is worn in rotation so maybe 60 days a year. Tell me when I should relax

Old 5 March 2020, 01:10 AM   #19
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Actually. One more follow up question...

In the written repair estimate they reference "movement requiring lubrication, dry oil".

Perhaps this is just standardlingo and something they perform on all services but it does concern me slightly that a less than 4 year old watch would have "dry oil".

Is this normal? The watch is worn in rotation so maybe 60 days a year. Tell me when I should relax

If it makes you feel any better Switzerland told me that my movement was dirty on a brand new watch that I just got repaired by the repair center in Texas...
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 01:39 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
If it makes you feel any better Switzerland told me that my movement was dirty on a brand new watch that I just got repaired by the repair center in Texas...
Oh my goodness ... no it does not

Well I hope after this service the oils last longer than 3.5 years

Old 5 March 2020, 01:52 PM   #21
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Modern synthetic oils will last longer than 3.5 years, but if they’re servicing the watch they’ll be cleaning it and it will need new lubricants applied anyway. The whole “dry oils” thing sounds like a standard line item on every service, which is kind of deceiving I think.

Omega always replaces my hands during a service and gives me the old ones, too.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote