The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2016, 12:58 PM   #31
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
So what makes YOU pull the trigger?

ME: When I fall in love with a watch, do my research and decide I can't live without it I pull the trigger. However, I am very slow to pull the trigger as the condition is very important to me if not buying new. I am not into flipping so I like to hunt, buy and rotate my watches.

WIFE: When she wants one, I buy it!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 01:46 PM   #32
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Its very encouraging to know, and it does show, that members here who can afford our pieces, are responsible, mature, savvy guys...a certain demographic..MAybe...LOL....

Despite what we "spend", we are careful enough NOT to overspend..well, maybe that is crossing the line...
we have the " maturity:" to know..when enough is enough..

Now lemme see, about THAT federer Datejust II....

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 07:44 PM   #33
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinC View Post
Oh MAN!... I thought that this forum was for insane an sick people like me.... I was wrong... Now I have to sell my rolex collection!!!.... I just hope to find a swatch forum!...... HS!

I gonna need a priest and a psychiatric after this forum....
Don't worry, those of us who buy them because the voices tell us to are just avoiding this thread.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 08:02 PM   #34
dabbotjordan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I made sure every financial concern concerning my family was totally taken of as well as my retirement and my business doing very well

At that point when I had discretionary funds available and could afford it and had the desire I bought

My concerns for my family is to leave them financially solvent not so much to leave them some of the stuff I used to have. Can't feed your kids with sentiment nor would I use it as an excuse to buy myself a watch

But just my humble two cents and you did ask
This 1000x
dabbotjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 10:34 PM   #35
WatchWatchers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Alright so I'm looking forward to the next addition to my tiny collection. Specifically a blue YM. The only issue I have at the moment is that most of the dough is tied up in one way or another. Now, I can always charge it but would rather not. That said, I've reached a point where I want to make sure I have something special for each of my girls. The day I'm gone, or a major event in their life occurs, I don't want them to receive furniture, old shirts, or a little money..... No I want them to each have something I wore regularly that I cherished...... So anyway I'm thinking about all of this because numerous passings, illnesses, and major life events all around me have really made me look at my own mortality and assess who/what are important.... Thats where I'm at..... do I save and save, or charge, pay, and be certain they are both taken care of in this regards? Either way the same thing is hopefully achieve just one sooner that the other.......but then there's the biggest issue. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow.....ugh..... So enough wandering/rambling, what runs through your minds when you decide to buy a new piece? Something like my story? Is it a simple reward for yourself? Do you just love to buy things?? What? Maybe it gets a bit personal but I honestly wander it every time I see an "Incoming" thread........

I think you would be lying to yourself if you "did it for your girls". But if you have the means, and the desire, but it for your self! Love the crap out of it. When you pass, your daughters will remember that, and may chose to cherish.
WatchWatchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 10:43 PM   #36
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Obviously the basic needs must be met. And only then do i look at opportunities to indulge in this. And as with everything else, a deal must be had. If the initial pricing is too high (for my expectation or ability), i walk away.
I find it overall at that stage of my life, that the research and hunt for something, be it a watch, a sweater or a car, equally or more fun than the actual piece. And if i acquire a quality item it will last a very long time (well, besides cars that is).
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 10:52 PM   #37
DPE
"TRF" Member

The little voices I hear in my head as I walk past a Watch Shop....shouting.. 'Buy Me'... I thought this was normal ??
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 11:00 PM   #38
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
One thing I've learnt (with the help of TRF) is to try to be sure of what you're buying, and then to enjoy the process of buying at the right price (which is particularly important if there's any risk of selling the piece at a later date).

I would not buy if I couldn't afford it....

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 11:42 PM   #39
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
When I like a particular watch, I have a simple formula.

if (spareMoneyInBank > priceOfWatch) {
Watch watch = payWatchDealer(writeCheck(priceOfWatch));
wearWatch(watch);
} else {
makeMoreMoney();
}

Sent from half way through the Kessel Run using Tapatalk
Old 13 March 2016, 12:28 AM   #40
mater
"TRF" Member

If you are on here asking if you should or can 'afford' a luxury watch when we really don't know your true situation, you probably can't 'afford' it
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 12:47 AM   #41
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
My 3 boys have a nice insurance policy if I clunk over tomorrow, so they're set and that is really my main focus. i live small and save big (a motto I have lived by for years)
"Big" being relative of course to my own sitch....

when I am comfortable later this year, I will pull my own trigger on a new purchase without worry
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 01:43 AM   #42
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I've worked over the years and have been pretty good with saving. After a promotion, I cut loose a bit as a celebration- bought a rolex yearly for the past 3 yrs. Sounds a lot but I flipped the first two for the 3rd. Now I'm done.

Do I want to buy another watch? Hells yeah!
Could I buy more? Yup
Would I feel comfortable buying more? Nope

Back to business for me. Not that I'm living like a monk, but don't want to spend more at this point on that stuff. Now if things go my way with savings and I get lucky with my career- might want to pick something else up in the future.

It's also a trade off as well. You see all these incomings but maybe somebody drives a Toyota instead of a BMW and has a Rolex instead of a Casio.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:01 PM   #43
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon5

so did you get the Blue YM yet?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:27 PM   #44
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Cash money in my hand, retirement guaranteed, a watch I want at a price I'm willing to pay.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:46 PM   #45
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

My first two where straightforward in the sense that I did all my internet research and ended up waiting months to get both a BLNR and the LVc. Both were a huge drawn out wait.

My third watch ended up being far more emotional / impulse buy. My favorite AD had an upcoming jewelry show coming up and I asked the usual question "Any interesting watches?". She texted me pics but nothing stood out. A few days later she sent me a saying that someone canceled a special order. She sent a pic of the BEAUTIFUL 116519LN White gold Daytona with the steel face. I'd always drooled over that watch but here was my chance to have it. We discussed the numbers, asked a ton of questions and ended up buying the watch.

I don't expect my next purchase to be quite as much an impulse buy, but you never know. If the right watch comes my way!
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 01:26 PM   #46
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I made sure every financial concern concerning my family was totally taken of as well as my retirement and my business doing very well

At that point when I had discretionary funds available and could afford it and had the desire I bought

My concerns for my family is to leave them financially solvent not so much to leave them some of the stuff I used to have. Can't feed your kids with sentiment nor would I use it as an excuse to buy myself a watch

But just my humble two cents and you did ask
Perfectly stated.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 01:29 PM   #47
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

I always wanted a DD since my uncle started wearing one when I was a kid. The issue was always money and bracelet stretch. With my mild OCD, a little give and I’d never wear it. Plus I always thought it was a bit small. Fast forward, 40mm, ceramic sleeves in the bracelet and the right time in my life. Then I saw it in Everose and I was set. Haven’t worn anything else since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:38 PM   #48
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Having what I want when I want it is a great way...
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:35 PM   #49
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
How old are your girls ? Mine is ten and she has already said she wants my gold Blancpain.
But she's ten.
By the time I'm dead, she might rather I'd put equivalent cash in a solid fund, offering a good return, than buy myself a luxury watch using the excuse of one day passing it down to her.....

I buy a watch that I like, that I can afford, often pre owned, ( with all the stipulations mentioned by previous posters ), and I don't kid myself as to why I'm buying it.
Old 5 December 2018, 05:00 PM   #50
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
The significance of a watch as an item of inheritance is uncertain at best. Some heirs treasure the connection, others toss the watch in a desk drawer.....or worse, race to the pawn shop. I have my Dad's Omega, and a friend for life's Rolex, they mean a great deal to me. Neither watch was a planned bequest, both were just bought, owned, and enjoyed by two great people in my life. They were worn, scratched, and weathered by their owners. Assuming that two young children may one day have an strong emotional link to their parent by way of a mechanical watch may turn out to be a stretch. It may be a life long treasure or a quick trip to a vacation destination after the watch is sold. Who knows?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:20 PM   #51
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
For me it’s simple.

1) do I really want it?

2) can I afford it?

If so then I’m good to go

And by “afford” I mean can I buy without adversely affecting any other part of my life. Status quo maintained.

The watch can always be sold if additional cash is ever needed.

But then we have no kids, so that probably makes a difference.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:40 PM   #52
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Watches always come last

Which is a bit strange as I love collecting but I put everything else first

And as far as pulling the trigger, funds allowing I never buy based on popular opinion or hype.

I walk around the shops and I try on new and interesting pieces and if something feels righ, I go for it.

In addition, i do tend to go watch shopping around key moments in my life. Anniversaries, birthdays, achievements, milestones etc
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:47 PM   #53
Tony1T
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II & SUB
I've bought two new ones this year so far, my wifes DJ31 and a GMT master II for myself. It reminds me hard work pays off.

Im on the waiting list again so its back to work :)
Tony1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 07:38 PM   #54
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Stay with Sub, Daytona or GMT if is a future investment for the family.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:04 PM   #55
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Alright so I'm looking forward to the next addition to my tiny collection. Specifically a blue YM. The only issue I have at the moment is that most of the dough is tied up in one way or another. Now, I can always charge it but would rather not. That said, I've reached a point where I want to make sure I have something special for each of my girls. The day I'm gone, or a major event in their life occurs, I don't want them to receive furniture, old shirts, or a little money..... No I want them to each have something I wore regularly that I cherished...... So anyway I'm thinking about all of this because numerous passings, illnesses, and major life events all around me have really made me look at my own mortality and assess who/what are important.... Thats where I'm at..... do I save and save, or charge, pay, and be certain they are both taken care of in this regards? Either way the same thing is hopefully achieve just one sooner that the other.......but then there's the biggest issue. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow.....ugh..... So enough wandering/rambling, what runs through your minds when you decide to buy a new piece? Something like my story? Is it a simple reward for yourself? Do you just love to buy things?? What? Maybe it gets a bit personal but I honestly wander it every time I see an "Incoming" thread........
You and I can relate on every level. I am finally ready to purchase my first Rolex and view it the same as you, I want my kids to have something to remember me by as well as have the funds past down to them to do what they love not what they must. I'm now in the position where if I pass tomorrow, I know they will be more than fine and they are both in on the buying experience and frequently point out Submariners/GMT's if they see one and say "Look Dad, that's like the one you want!".
Pay M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:16 PM   #56
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I'm not in control of this. Usually, the trigger is pulling me when it comes to nice watches.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote