The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 February 2014, 12:15 PM   #1
DBXerox
"TRF" Member

Rolex watch buying tips

I am looking to purchase a Brand New Rolex GMTII 116710BLNR watch. I google that frequently and have been on other sites such as watchrecon.com. Any suggestions on how to know if you are dealing with a reputable seller and what is the most secure way for me to pay someone (assuming that face to face is not possible due to distance)? This watch is $8K+ which is too much money to take a chance on. I know nothing is 100% full-proof short of buying from an authorized dealer, but they don't seem to be able to get any in stock. Thank you for any and all advice. I am in CA.
DBXerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Try the for sale section here and look for the guys who post up several sales per day, what we here call Trusted Sellers. You can vet them in the Who's Who section then.
Old 5 February 2014, 03:53 AM   #3
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

This probably won't help because many trusted sellers require wire transfer of funds, so buy the seller first, then the watch. If I'm dealing with a seller other than here, like Ebay for example, then I'd want to pay for my purchase through Paypal so I possibly have some recourse. But personally I won't buy a watch off Ebay. I just have no reason to venture outside of TRF unless I'm going the AD route.

Best of luck.
Old 5 February 2014, 07:05 AM   #4
DBXerox
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice.
DBXerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Blrmkr
"TRF" Member

DavidSW and a few other trusted sellers will do PayPal + fees. Can't say enough good things about DSW.
Blrmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Try Justrolexes(Tony Geha) I personally have not done a deal with him yet ( but came close a few times). I hear wonderful things about the guy, being a trusted top- notch seller and i believe he's also in CA.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 02:45 AM   #7
afc1
"TRF" Member

Great suggestions so far when it comes to sellers but let me also suggest Datejustryan. He'll get you anything you are looking for, and I've found his prices are hard to beat. I've done many deals with him (both buying and selling) and they don't come more trustworthy. Good luck with your search!

Watch Collection: Rolex and AP
afc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 09:41 PM   #8
watchdoc123
"TRF" Member

I have used jizjizjiz twice now. Each transaction has been perfect. Flawless. Highly recommend. And he is also in California.
watchdoc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 06:18 AM   #9
Scaredy_cat
"TRF" Member

What tips for someone from another country ? I suppose it would be quite a mission to pay and send a watch to South Africa, Cape Town ? What would the process be ? Besides the Rand / Dollar exchange , would there still be customs duty on a used Rolex ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Scaredy_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 11:59 AM   #10
fastfras
"TRF" Member

oversea purchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredy_cat View Post
What tips for someone from another country ? I suppose it would be quite a mission to pay and send a watch to South Africa, Cape Town ? What would the process be ? Besides the Rand / Dollar exchange , would there still be customs duty on a used Rolex ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I buy watches from all over the world, literally, in the last 3 months I've purchased from every continent save Africa. If you're looking for a new Rolex watch with a great price - pm me. I don't want to upset my AD by stating prices but will tell you on the PM. Importation duties are your responsibility, you need to contact the taxation / importation people in your country to find duty fees.
fastfras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 08:47 AM   #11
mohahijazi
"TRF" Member

Please need help, just bought this for 3500$ need help , it looks original but im not a pro, first rolex i bought, whatsapp +554598226622 , can any one add me ? I do not kmow how to post pictures
mohahijazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 01:44 PM   #12
VIG
"TRF" Member

Watch: this!
Forgive me for bumping an old thread but I'm a noob trying to learn here.

What does it mean to "buy the seller"? I've seen it a bunch of times here and I'm not sure really what it means.

Thanks!
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 03:10 PM   #13
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Forgive me for bumping an old thread but I'm a noob trying to learn here.

What does it mean to "buy the seller"? I've seen it a bunch of times here and I'm not sure really what it means.

Thanks!
It means to research the seller's reputation and get comfortable with his integrity and service before even worrying about the watch. An extreme example would be to see something from some random seller on Ebay, post pictures of the watch here and be told it looks fine, only to find what arrives in the mail is not the same watch that was in the photos.

All the sellers here can be readily researched through the "who's who" section in the classifieds area. There are numerous sellers here with top notch reputations that many, many members have bought from for years and can attest to their reputations. They describe the piece and its condition accurately and if anything conservatively, disclose any flaws or issues, and stand behind what they sell.

I've dealt with several here that I have no problems wiring payment in full to in advance of receiving the watch. And there are others I've not yet dealt with that I consider fully trustworthy.
Old 2 May 2016, 03:21 PM   #14
VIG
"TRF" Member

Watch: this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
It means to research the seller's reputation and get comfortable with his integrity and service before even worrying about the watch. An extreme example would be to see something from some random seller on Ebay, post pictures of the watch here and be told it looks fine, only to find what arrives in the mail is not the same watch that was in the photos.

All the sellers here can be readily researched through the "who's who" section in the classifieds area. There are numerous sellers here with top notch reputations that many, many members have bought from for years and can attest to their reputations. They describe the piece and its condition accurately and if anything conservatively, disclose any flaws or issues, and stand behind what they sell.

I've dealt with several here that I have no problems wiring payment in full to in advance of receiving the watch. And there are others I've not yet dealt with that I consider fully trustworthy.
Thank you for explaining that for me! Makes sense.

VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 03:14 AM   #15
Halothane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I just have no reason to venture outside of TRF unless I'm going the AD route.

Best of luck.
x2
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote