The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 May 2017, 06:15 AM   #31
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Seems to have worked well for BMW and Benz. Everyone knows a 7 series/S-class is bigger than a 5 series/E-class which is bigger than a 3 series/C-class. Likewise a 335 has a bigger engine than a 325 etc. Just saying.

The reference numbers aren't just random numbers. They're very descriptive of the watch in question, if you just know what each digit means.

Agree, but your examples are not a fair comparison. To general public, myself included, as I am very new to this whole WIS thing, the difference between 335i and 545i BMW is a lot more tangible than say Rolex 116613LB and 279173CDJ.

The example I used earlier is actually true. I was indeed telling a coworker who was interested in purchasing a hulk after seeing my watch to go to a dealer and ask for a "hulk". Believe me I have been to a dealer (while visiting in another city) and asked if they had a BLRO in, and when the sales person didn't understand me, I said you know, GMT BLRO, and still not understanding me, I said 'the new pepsi' and he said 'oh, yes, that one is here' and took me there to see.

I am just starting to learn the digits and correlations here and there, '13' being two tone, '18' yellow gold, '19' white gold, LB LV LN etc., but that has taken some time.

Batman, however, I knew the first day!

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anniversary editions , reference numbers