The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 5 August 2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Incoming Platinum Century 3776 music nib

I finally put in for a Platinum Century Chartres blue 3776 with a music nib. The pen arrived the other day and it's very nice! You can see the slip and seal action through the cap as it's a little translucent. The Monteverde Invincia line has a cap with a similar system it would seem. There are two injection molding lines in the section of the 3776 that really shouldn't be there. The only other pens I've had with seams in the section are my Lamy Al-Stars. I'll probably polish them out eventually. They can't be felt while writing but it bugs me just the same knowing they're there. The pen is pretty light and really a simple looking pen at first. It grows on you the more you look at it though. The material color is a really nice, deep blue and the gold trim is perfect for the pen. Even the gold trimmed converter matches well. Unfortunately no hand painted fishies though.

The music nib is really cool. No spring at all especially for a 14kt nib but it writes very smooth and looks interesting with the three tines. There's some line variation but not much in the stock grind. I have it inked with iroshizuku ama-iro. That's a cool ink with this nib! It puts down a nice, thick darker turquoise line with red edges on clairefontaine paper. I ordered a second 3776 in Bourgogne red but with a soft fine nib. That pen is coming from Japan so it might take a while. I'm expecting some line variation on that one.

Overall I would say this pen is a must have in your collection. The price of the music nib is a huge premium over the standard pen, about 100%. I'm not sure if the music nib is worth the extra cost just yet but it is a nice nib and I don't have anything like it in my collection right now. I'll know more when my soft fine 3776 comes in. I saw no serious deals on a music nib even out of Japan. The soft fine to a broad nib can be had for a great deal overseas though. This is my first post using tap a talk so I don't know what to expect. I'm making an effort to resolve the TRF pics not posting from my phone issues by going 3rd party. Not sure why I have to go that far, but that's apparently what it takes these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 05:01 PM   #2
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Nice. Congratulations. Let's see some pics of the ink in action...

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
Nice. Congratulations. Let's see some pics of the ink in action...

This is the best I can get at the moment. I'm a little "out of office" right now so this was written on a Montegrappa Fortuna Heartwood travel notebook with a sort of grainy rustic texture. Just imagine this with a very subtle and thin red outline and the color a little lighter with some feathering. It's really an interesting ink! I saw some reviews that didn't really give it much credit for the cost but it is different than my diamine blue/turquoise and Visconti inks. Definitely a buy with nice, not so absorbent, paper behind it that promotes feathering and the like. I'd love to try it on Tomoe River paper!

Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 5 August 2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
This is the best I can get at the moment. I'm a little "out of office" right now so this was written on a Montegrappa Fortuna Heartwood travel notebook with a sort of grainy rustic texture. Just imagine this with a very subtle and thin red outline and the color a little lighter with some feathering. It's really an interesting ink! I saw some reviews that didn't really give it much credit for the cost but it is different than my diamine blue/turquoise and Visconti inks. Definitely a buy with nice, not so absorbent, paper behind it that promotes feathering and the like. I'd love to try it on Tomoe River paper!

Just noticed I missed the bottom of the F.........the bourbon strikes again!!

Old 5 August 2017, 05:38 PM   #5
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Nice! Cool handwriting. When i write it looks like a drunk spider having a fit while dancing gangnam style!

NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Snap of the pen backlit.

Old 5 August 2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
Nice! Cool handwriting. When i write it looks like a drunk spider having a fit while dancing gangnam style!

You know, I'm about 10 minutes out from drunk spider style myself! Lolol

Old 5 August 2017, 08:45 PM   #8
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 11:03 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great looking pen.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:45 AM   #10
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Incredible FP acquisition!

I have a blank spot for one also, and it will steadily climb up the ladder until....
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 04:44 PM   #11
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Incredible FP acquisition!

I have a blank spot for one also, and it will steadily climb up the ladder until....

I love this pen Richard. I actually went home at lunch today to swap out my arco for the 3776! It sounds crazy but it's true! My soft fine 3776 buorgogne has entered the US today so only a few more days. Really looking forward to the color and nib! It's a very nicely done and light pen.

Old 8 August 2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post

YES!!