The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2017, 03:20 AM   #121
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
I looked at every luxury brand of watch before purchasing two Rolexs: Submariner and a new two tone gold DJ. I even posted a photo of my grandson wearing the new DJ and have a ton of positive responses.

Rolex to me is simple, engineered perfectly, beautiful and recognizable. To me, for example, most PP are strange looking and overpriced. Some PP's are simple and great looking, but expensive. I've looked at over 100 new and used PP and could find the watch I wanted. So, that is just me. PP owners would disagree. But I DO NOT HATE PP.

As an example, I was out with our chairman of a Fortune 1000 company who was wearing a high end watch. However, I couldn't tell what brand and it was full of extra dials that I couldn't see the brand. I'm sure he spent $10K but it looked like some I have seen at Kohls. The President wore a TAG. OK looking but you can buy on eBay for a 50% discount.

For the price Rolex can't be beat. Also, you don't have to make excuses or explain what brand you are wearing.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 11:43 PM   #122
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
I looked at every luxury brand of watch before purchasing two Rolexs: Submariner and a new two tone gold DJ. I even posted a photo of my grandson wearing the new DJ and have a ton of positive responses.

Rolex to me is simple, engineered perfectly, beautiful and recognizable. To me, for example, most PP are strange looking and overpriced. Some PP's are simple and great looking, but expensive. I've looked at over 100 new and used PP and could find the watch I wanted. So, that is just me. PP owners would disagree. But I DO NOT HATE PP.

As an example, I was out with our chairman of a Fortune 1000 company who was wearing a high end watch. However, I couldn't tell what brand and it was full of extra dials that I couldn't see the brand. I'm sure he spent $10K but it looked like some I have seen at Kohls. The President wore a TAG. OK looking but you can buy on eBay for a 50% discount.

For the price Rolex can't be beat. Also, you don't have to make excuses or explain what brand you are wearing.
Well put
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 11:53 PM   #123
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

The only time I hate a Rolex is when it needs to be serviced. Nothing worse than having an empty wrist.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 12:19 AM   #124
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Half of the monkeys I hear claiming to hate Rolex can't even tell the time. To me, their views are mind over matter; I don't mind, they don't matter.
^^^^well said

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 03:57 AM   #125
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
I would compare Rolex being Porsche 911 4S and Audermars Piquet, Patek etc being Maseratis and Ferraris. You make 20 launch controls with 911, it does not mean anything. You make 10 with Ferrari, manufacturer recommends car to be serviced. I understand art and beautiful timepieces like for example Patek does. But it is hard for me to understand them being less durable, almost fragile, just like Ferrari.

I have 911, my third now. 2 of my friends has 2-3 year old Ferraris. You just cant use them like 911 or you meet problems like they do. 5-10 visits to garage in 2-3 years. 5 years of 911's, 2 visits, both normal service.

I would say this metaphorical difference kinda applies between Rolex and other fine brands.
I have to say this statement generally says it all, I've always had a 911 and will most likely always have one, are they the fastest, no, are they the most exotic, no but there's a reason it's iconic, sometimes not being the absolute best somehow make it's the greatest all rounder. To me Rolex is the best watch company in the world, do they make the best watches in the world, no, but there's a reason they're iconic just like the 911.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 06:42 AM   #126
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
Over the years I didn't realize how many Rolex haters were out there until I watched some YouTube videos and read internet threads/articles. Several so called "watch enthusiasts" claim to love their preferred watch brands but hate Rolex or do not like Rolex's for multiple reasons such as price, ubiquity, snobbery, etc.

If you don't care for a brand, that's one thing, but hate Rolex?
Why so many Rolex haters?
I cant remember where I learned this..... However....
"Popularity breeds contempt"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 07:34 AM   #127
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
I cant remember where I learned this..... However....

"Popularity breeds contempt"

I'd guess high school is where you learned it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 08:14 AM   #128
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Many people hate Rolex because it is the favored brand of posers and other assorted D-bags. Although they make up a very small percentage of Rolex-wearers, people notice and remember posers and D-bags whereas they forget those who quietly go about their business on the periphery. Therefore, due to the great number of Rolexes sold this small percentage's gross numbers are high, high enough for decades that this Rolex= attention-seeking Poser association has become part of the culture, real in the minds of many.

In a way this can be traced back to some of some of Rolex's own (successful) marketing, the portion aimed at developing a belief that merely buying and wearing one is not based on the watch's inherent functions, durability, usefulness, etc., but rather worn as an observable badge of success/awesomeness used to impress others. The supposed "Luxury" aspect is at fault here, but that's what Rolex pushes left and right with their ads and pricing.

For instance, take the vanity-based, James Bondy, "guy in a tux wearing a Sub gets the girl imagery" Rolex uses in some of their ads. Totally lame, yet there's a segment out there who will pony-up the $$$ in the hopes their fantasist daydreams about themselves having a fake movie spy, lady-killer aura surrounding them becomes real. Sadly, this sort of imagined signaling can lead to all sorts of posing and D-baggery out there in the world that unfortunately reflects on everyone.

Among WIS and watch enthusiasts, they realize that Rolex isn't the yardstick by which complicated movements, finishing, or craftsmanship are measured and any small innovations Rolex have made in recent times are overshadowed by the nebulous "Luxury brand" angle they've taken that really isn't borne out besides pricing them as such. I don't know if they hate Rolex, but surely must be frustrated when dealing with someone who believes Rolex is the be-all, end-all in fine watchmaking despite being relatively unrefined and uncomplicated compared to many others.
I typically avoid quoting such long posts/posts with pictures, but I'm compelled to as this is such a quality post. You're spot on, sir!

Old 11 August 2017, 09:04 AM   #129
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
The only time I hate a Rolex is when it needs to be serviced. Nothing worse than having an empty wrist.

An excellent reason for one to have a spare when the other goes for service.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 09:18 AM   #130
Hammer
"TRF" Member

I remember a quote from Jeremy Clarkson "the only thing worse than somebody wearing a fake Rolex, is somebody wearing a real one".

That made me laugh at the time, and someone like him could get away with it. Any serious watch collector worth their salt, will have a Rolex amongst their collection. Everybody on this forum gets it. Those who don't, well that's their problem.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 11:16 AM   #131
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
I disagree. I'm asking.
He's a hand model. They think different than the face and body boys.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 11:24 AM   #132
Stx
"TRF" Member

Rolex Image

I have mixed feelings about Rolex. They're great but are known as expensive and therefore make a statement. I don't care to make statements, but want the quality. Women routinely carry more than a Rolex on one finger and there's no statement or comments made. Yet a guy with a Rolex may trigger preconceptions of all types. Odd. I'd like an unmarked Rolex. In the popular image you'd think it was a million on a wrist. I've refrained from Rolex for this reason. Convince me otherwise, I like the watches. Am I imagining?
Stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 11:25 AM   #133
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
All the more reason to have at least two!
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 01:42 PM   #134
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post

That chairman probably does not care what other people think about his watch. Good for him and for any other person who does the same.

Also, do you realize... Never mind.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:53 PM   #135
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
I hate Rolex

because I can't stop buying them...
Old 11 August 2017, 04:04 PM   #136
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

My favorite description of this thinking was read on Hodinkee. I believe Ben Clymer wrote the article, I believe it was 5 mistakes watch people should avoid. One of those things was not respecting Rolex enough, and he described Rolex appreciate as being an inverse bell curve. I take that like people get into watches, because they know Rolex. Then as they get into it a bit more, they learn about other high end brands, and start to overlook the Rolex brand. The more you learn about Rolex, the more you begin to appreciate what it represents in modern watch making.
uncle_paul_hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 05:50 PM   #137
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
An oldie gut goodie from James Dowling. Why it's ok to hate rolex:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-to-Hate-Rolex

Sorry of this is already buried in this thread.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 09:36 PM   #138
idiogenic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stx View Post
I'd like an unmarked Rolex.
Me too. It would of course look like any one of a million homages but I don't care.
idiogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 09:56 PM   #139
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
AP service costs are cheaper as a fraction of MSRP and they do a better job. I'm not sure why this forum is ignorantly obsessed with the idea that AP service is expensive and crappy. It's better in every way than a RSC - and no, I don't own one.
I appreciate what you wrote and regognize the issue like you.

There are a lot of misinformation within watch service and the cost of it. Patek Philippe service cost is not high at all. Normal Patek service is 700 Swiss Francs, just like Rolex. Sky-Dweller service cost is not high, because complication is built in a way that it is easy to service. Audemars Piquet service is not expensive at all.

Truth is as well that most automatic watches are like Ferraris (Patek, AP, Voutilainen), they just cant be used normally. Rolex can be used normally in sports and everywhere.

What i think is that Rolex keeps all that simple and sharp, so that they are able to provide flawless quality all the time. It is hard for me to understand Patek for example, as it is so fragile (low quality) that there are dozen times mentioned in a manual how careful you have to be with the watch so it won't go broken. I think it is not special, it is not art, it is just very very bad engineering and low-level craftmanship. If Patek had the durability of Rolex, i would choose Patek.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #140
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
It's because like it or not, Rolex is the brand for people who want something expensive to put on their wrist.

It's for the person who wants a luxury watch, but doesn't know anything about watches.

It doesn't take anything away from the brand or their watches, but that's why.
This! There is room for us who have a passion for the brand regardless of this as well I believe.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:38 PM   #141
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
People only think Rolex and Rolex owners are elitist as they've not heard of ALS, Patek, or AP before...or MB & F, HYT, etc.