The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2017, 07:38 AM   #61
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

I haven't bought any yet but have looked at both as possibilities.

In terms of looks and cosmetics these topics are all about personal preference, so go for the one you really love.

In my case I think I'll go for a sub date because of a few practical aspects :

- Glidelock really seems to be excellent. Metal bracelets can be very uncomfortable and having fine grained adjustments is a huge plus to me.
- I look at the date very often and would definitely miss it. Even when I'm at the computer I find myself still looking at the watch for the date (Maybe because it's not visible by default in the Windows bar, who knows)
-ZrO2 ceramics are fantastic. I have a DSOTM and one other such with a ceramic bezel and the bezel is still shiny and immaculate after two years. It's a great material and I suspect Rolex might start using it on the dials too, as it resists fade and keeps looking shiny new.

Finally, I don't use the rotating timer much but it's a nice to have and can be handier than using the phone.

Also suspect the Sub would be easier to sell used faster, but don't know the market well enough to be sure.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 01:41 PM   #62
NathansExplorer
"TRF" Member

I've owned a current model sub. It looked like a Xmas ornament! Why is it so damn shinny??? Please can someone answer that question? That ceramic bezel, with the combination of the glossy black dial, literally makes it hard to tell the time at a glance. Do sub wearers need that attention? Do they feel their getting better value for money because its gaudy? Not sure.

Man jewellery at its worst, I'm sorry, screams tacky. And the Glidelock clasp is HUGE! Added weight, heft and discomfort for no real functional reason. People claim its a comfortable watch hahaha. The thing has a diving case back. It pyramids on the wrist. A terrible daily wearer.

Lets be honest, the sub died back with end of the 16610's. Mark my words, the current sub is going to age horribly. I'n 20 years the second hand market will be flooded with used ceramic subs.

The Mk 2 Explorer on the other hand. Perfect.
NathansExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 02:01 PM   #63
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Another Submariner vs Explorer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansExplorer View Post
I've owned a current model sub. It looked like a Xmas ornament! Why is it so damn shinny??? Please can someone answer that question? That ceramic bezel, with the combination of the glossy black dial, literally makes it hard to tell the time at a glance. Do sub wearers need that attention? Do they feel their getting better value for money because its gaudy? Not sure.

Man jewellery at its worst, I'm sorry, screams tacky. And the Glidelock clasp is HUGE! Added weight, heft and discomfort for no real functional reason. People claim its a comfortable watch hahaha. The thing has a diving case back. It pyramids on the wrist. A terrible daily wearer.

Lets be honest, the sub died back with end of the 16610's. Mark my words, the current sub is going to age horribly. I'n 20 years the second hand market will be flooded with used ceramic subs.

The Mk 2 Explorer on the other hand. Perfect.

It seems based on your previous posts that there is a bit of trolling going on here. While the ceramic bezel is surely more shiny than the previous aluminum version, I've never had an issue telling time because of it or the dial. Yes the glidelock clasp is bigger than the previous clasp but how can you say it's increased size and weight without any "real functional reason"...maybe you didn't understand the glidelock or how it worked because that seems pretty damn functional to me.

And I see just as many, if not more, older ref subs on the classifieds section than I do 114060s. Truth is the current Sub has already aged 5 years and still going strong.

Glad you got something you love though in your Explorer, that's all that matters.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 06:42 AM   #64
cammac1
"TRF" Member

The explorer is a practical watch, how could you not like it? I own an explorer and it has been the most comfortable watch i've had the pleasure of putting on my wrist.

Goodluck with whatever you choose!
cammac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 07:13 AM   #65
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
And I see just as many, if not more, older ref subs on the classifieds section than I do 114060s. Truth is the current Sub has already aged 5 years and still going strong.
While I dislike the 114060 personally, wouldn't the reason for that difference be the simple fact that there were 49 years of older references before it came out, rather than one being worse or better?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 10:12 AM   #66
aquaman1
Banned

You can't go wrong with any of them, but I actually prefer the sub to the explorer
aquaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:17 PM   #67
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkom View Post
submariner by a mile.

the explorer is a very boring watch by comparison.
Absolutely. Not even comparable in any way.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:41 PM   #68
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
The Explorer is awesome with a comfort level at the top of the charts. A matter of personal preference of course, but to me any Explorer vs a big, blocky modern sub is like comparing Audrey Hepburn to Kim Kardashian.

Explorer/Hepburn: Tough yet slim, svelte, graceful, classy personality that's effortlessly at home in any situation. Go anywhere, do anything, a timeless, classic beauty.

Modern Sub/Kardashian: Looks good to some at the moment, if you like that sort of thing. Personality; famous for being famous, a sign of the times. The giant, over-engineered clasp a few out there are happy fiddling with = her butt/bum.

(4 and 5 digits Subs = Rachel Welch & Bo Derek).
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 02:33 PM   #69
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Depends on what you have in rotation. For me, the choice would be easy. Sub all day long.
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 04:30 PM   #70
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The Explorer is awesome with a comfort level at the top of the charts. A matter of personal preference of course, but to me any Explorer vs a big, blocky modern sub is like comparing Audrey Hepburn to Kim Kardashian.

Explorer/Hepburn: Tough yet slim, svelte, graceful, classy personality that's effortlessly at home in any situation. Go anywhere, do anything, a timeless, classic beauty.

Modern Sub/Kardashian: Looks good to some at the moment, if you like that sort of thing. Personality; famous for being famous, a sign of the times. The giant, over-engineered clasp a few out there are happy fiddling with = her butt/bum.

This is fantastic!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 05:24 PM   #71
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Quote:

Funny post.
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 05:52 PM   #72
doramas
Banned

Explorer 214270
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 06:07 PM   #73
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
Quote:

this says it all

On a more serious note, there is a difference between the more outspoken watch versus the self-restrained one. It's a personal thing. I prefer the Explorer, but the Sub has a place of its own. And apparently it is what the majority of watch-buyers (Asia?) want.

Many people have a taste for somewhat more traditional - i.e. proven to be timeless - designs. If Rolex would add a vintage-inspired Sub to its collection, like Omega just did with the Speedmaster/Seamaster/Railmaster, it would be an incredible hit.
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 07:55 PM   #74
perry731
"TRF" Member

If Explorer is selling at a higher price than a Sub. There will be a lot more ppls choosing Explorer over Sub. Ppls picked Sub due to superior in price.
perry731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 08:04 PM   #75
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

The explorer definitely
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 09:24 AM   #76
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:

First place for the 2017 post of the year!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 10:30 AM   #77
abs82
"TRF" Member

Sub is the classic and if you can get the newer 6-digit with ceramic bezel that is for sure the one to go with. I have the new SubC no-date and love it. That being said I also recently ordered the new Explorer so will have both but if you're decided either/or I'd go with the Sub first and you can get the Explorer at a later date if you so choose. Either way congrats!!
Rolex Submariner 114060 | Rolex GMT Master II BLNR 116710 | Rolex Day Date 118235 | Cartier Santos 100 W20073X8 | Cartier Drive de Cartier WSNM0004 | Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial | Panerai Luminor Marina Automatic PAM00048
abs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 10:07 PM   #78
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haha. Funny, yet insightful!
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 01:41 AM   #79
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Between the 2 watches...get the Sub...

If it was me...subc date.

Here is the rationale...

Yeah you might want that pretty symmetric but I think the date is very handy. You will use it more often than you think, trust me. If your going to splurge on a watch why not get it as fully featured as possible.

If you travel a lot, I would say that you get more bang per buck on an all black ceramic GMT master 2 if you don't mind not having the glide lock in exchange for the easy link and PLC's.

Regards
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 02:17 AM   #80
Welcome
"TRF" Member

Sub. Close thread :-D
Welcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 06:31 AM   #81
todd.hepburn
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is a particularly helpful analogy for someone trying to make a similar decision. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
todd.hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:50 PM   #82
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
Whatever you choose, one thing is certain, you WILL have buyers remorse.
Buy the Sub and you'll miss the Explorers simplicity.
Buy the Explorer and you'll feel stuck with a simple watch and you'll be helpless every time you need to time your pizza.

Buying both will only create new problems. Now you are burdened with choosing which one to wear.
As someone who owned both at the same time, I absolutely agree with this statement.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:04 PM   #83
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Sub C , clear winner and choice . IMHO !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 12:20 AM   #84
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Like both, but if pressed Sub wins for me.

And of course is more practical

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170328_144759.jpg (99.4 KB, 338 views)
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:17 AM   #85
carloman
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
I'm surprised by the amount of Explorer love in this thread. After all the reading I've done on here, I began to think that submariner ownership was a mandatory condition to posting anything (with BLNR GMT owners also granted permission).

My vote obviously goes to the Explorer, as it absolutely typifies everything I need from a luxury item. It is perfectly made (granted all Rolex's qualify in this regard), is supremely elegant and simple, doesn't shout my wealth to anyone who doesn't know how to look for it, performs its main task flawlessly, and is ninety-five percent function over form in its design.

Y'know, upon re-reading that last paragraph, I probably could replace the word Explorer with Submariner, apart from deleting the part about shouting one's wealth...That also has some appeal to me, as I've recently discovered. It turns out my ego does rather enjoy a bit of a head-patting now and again. Hmmmm...time to go buy a fancy car, methinks.

Tough call! Want to make it harder? Add the black faced OP 39 and SS Datejust (black face + batons) to the mix. Care to go even crazier? Take a black bezel GMT and brush out the centre links. The coo-coo bananas option? Black face Milgauss.
carloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:58 AM   #86
1911 Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub date
The Sub was my introduction to Rolex years ago, and I've loved it ever since. However, I fell in love with the 5 digit version, and was a little turned off by the 6 digit at first. Over time, it grew on me, and I learned to appreciate the robustness and upgrades. Loved the glide-lock bracelet, loved the maxi dial with blue lumes. However, I never loved the thicker lugs. When I finally had the chance to buy one, I went with a 6 digit no date. Finally had my dream watch. A little over a year later, I sold it. Too big for me, too heavy, etc. (I do have smaller wrists, 6.75"). But I still love the Sub.

I've never been in love with the Explorer. I see very nice pictures here and elsewhere, but when I try on the current version, it doesn't appeal to me. My current watch is a 36 mm DJ, so maybe the older 36 mm Explorer would appeal more.

So my answer would be the Sub, but my next goal is to acquire a 5 digit date model.
1911 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:59 AM   #87
cab56
"TRF" Member

Watch: many!
I have both. I usually wear the 39mm Explorer 1 (with 3-6-9 lume). It works for all occasions (suit and casual), it doesn't get noticed, it is easier to read in the dark, and it is stunningly accurate (1 sec/week). I wear my sub once in a while for a change.
cab56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:19 AM   #88
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Sub /thread
this
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #89
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Once everything is said and done, you need both. The explorer is more independent the radar, smaller and dressier while maintaining the tool watch appeal and the sub is the more rough and tumble that gets accepted wearing with a suite because of this guys/bond thing.
Personally I’d start with the Explorer ams see if a hulk becomes the more desired companion ( or even a GMT...).
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 05:30 AM   #90
uber
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC, EXP1 MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintie View Post
I have an SKX007, SKX009 and a Baume and Mercier Clifton. I also have an Omega Speedmaster, a vintage Seiko from my father and a gold Seiko from my father-in-law.
Questions: What type of Clifton? There are many flavours... the ceramic bezel version through chrono to dress versions in RG I believe...
You have 2 SKX's which "functionally" can occupy the sub space... do you wear them often? If you had a sub would you ditch them?
On first pass I would prescribe the Explorer which may satisfy more in terms of being "different' enough but also fits a wear anywhere tool watch profile...
I have an Explorer 1 mkII and a GMTIIc and tend to grab the former as a daily.... I have both SKX007 & SKX009... the 007 has a glidelock type clasp and I think I have worn it twice this year... the 009 has a really comfy aftermarket BOR and sees way more action...
uber is offline   Reply With Quote