The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2017, 05:45 AM   #31
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any4xx View Post
Funny, as I LOVE my Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette. But I'm always a bit sheepish about driving it. I love driving it, but I hate the "vibe" that it gives off. I like to just blend into the crowd. I'm always a bit self-conscious about what others think when they see it. Little do most of them know though that this car is worth less than a new Nissan Altima.
Tom, awesome car! But let me tell you, driving a yellow Z06 you definitely DO NOT blend in, you stick out my friend, way out!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 06:11 AM   #32
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My previous vehicle, a Ford Escape, was also a hybrid, purchased in 2007. I really "enjoy" driving a vehicle on electric power, can't really explain why except that maybe it's the geek in me(?). New technology and doing my part for the environment just... make me feel good. I would have purchased an all electric but living in a condo had nowhere to charge it. If I could work out a hydrogen car, I would get one of those!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any4xx View Post
I'd join if you'd let me.

I'd absolutely drive a hybrid, but never a Prius...
I have a Prius, and it gets three times better mileage than my F250, but the truck is way more fun to drive. There's something primal about the guttural rumble of a big block diesel that a whiny hybrid can't induce.

I've been offered $12k for my truck about 10 times over the last five years. I paid $12k for it as the second owner in 2002. It seems to be hanging onto its value quite well.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:26 AM   #33
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
I'm into bikes and modding my bikes .... when you take a 15K bike and throw on 15K in extras its still a 15K bike extras get you zip I think the same applies to cars.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:43 AM   #34
swils8610

I've been in the car biz for 24 years. Color and packages can make a huge diff in value especially on an exotic or high end luxury car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 08:29 AM   #35
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
I'm into bikes and modding my bikes .... when you take a 15K bike and throw on 15K in extras its still a 15K bike extras get you zip I think the same applies to cars.
I probably have $4k in upgrades on my Ducati (easy to do on a Ducati) but it really didn't add any value to the bike at all (lighter wheels and exhaust). It isn't worth any more than any other Ducati of the same year/model.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 08:41 AM   #36
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I probably have $4k in upgrades on my Ducati (easy to do on a Ducati) but it really didn't add any value to the bike at all (lighter wheels and exhaust). It isn't worth any more than any other Ducati of the same year/model.
Which Ducati do you have that you have 4K in mods and there is no price difference? If you actually have 4K in mods and want to sell it for market price please pm me details on the bike I have cash right now
OliveSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 09:04 AM   #37
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
Which Ducati do you have that you have 4K in mods and there is no price difference? If you actually have 4K in mods and want to sell it for market price please pm me details on the bike I have cash right now
It is a 2014 Multistrada 1200 S. And I'm not interested in selling it

I have almost $2k into it for the Arrow exhaust and another $1,500 in wheels (got a killer deal on a set of Pikes Peak Marchesini forged wheels) and a few hundred in various other mods. I might be able to get a thousand more for it than a comparable stock bike but nowhere near what I put into it, really it just makes it a little more marketable. Modding is generally a lose/lose proposition. I didn't mod to add value though. I modded to add fun, usefulness and aesthetic value.

Actually, I sold the cast OEM wheels for $500 for the pair so I'm only into the mods for about $3500 at this point.

It's funny, I see 1098/1198's come up for sale from time to time with around 12-14k miles on them. Usually it's because the owner doesn't want to pay for the very expensive valve adjustment/belt change. Good maintenance history is worth a hell of a lot more than mods IMO.
Old 19 August 2017, 09:34 AM   #38
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are these people delusional? Option packages add some value but color? No freaking way dude. You're out of your mind
Of course color adds value, as well as options. Have you watched Barrett-Jackson. They will tell how how many cars are made with a specific option. This happens all the time. But those are older muscle cars so here are two examples

First, read this marketplace Scroll to car 13, four cars made in yellow. Then look at the sold price. Its about double the price of others. Why? Because Red, Black, White are common. Everyone has one.

Still don't believe it, go to Edmunds Go through the process and they ask you the color of the car. Hmm. Some colors are common. How many white, grey, silver, black cars do you see? They are so common you don't notice them. Dependent upon the car, color matters. And as someone else mentioned, thats not even Paint to Sample. Get into Paint to Sample and then you are in another world entirely.

Yes, Color matters.

Options, on the other hand, not so much, except maybe if you are selling a classic at auction (IMO). Its after market parts that people get upset over. Some dump thousands into a car to find the aftermarket parts are worthless on resale.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 09:46 AM   #39
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I've been in the car biz for 24 years. Color and packages can make a huge diff in value especially on an exotic or high end luxury car.

What colors are most desired?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 10:56 AM   #40
swils8610

Depends on the car Seth. Generally at an auction for a luxury car black or pearl white commands a higher price than say a blue or silver one. Exotics are an entire diff situation. Depends on make and model what color is most desirable. I've got a 2016 Vette Z06 currently that is dark burgundy. If it was black it would have been sold by now.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 11:51 AM   #41
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
New rubber bands on a Desmo' can set you back for half that! I had a '97 916 back in the day. Loved everything about it except the maintenance costs.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:57 PM   #42
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Porsche Macan gots some nice color options .. and the interior options are sick ��
Old 19 August 2017, 08:48 PM   #43
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post
Of course color adds value, as well as options. Have you watched Barrett-Jackson. They will tell how how many cars are made with a specific option. This happens all the time. But those are older muscle cars so here are two examples

First, read this marketplace Scroll to car 13, four cars made in yellow. Then look at the sold price. Its about double the price of others. Why? Because Red, Black, White are common. Everyone has one.

Still don't believe it, go to Edmunds Go through the process and they ask you the color of the car. Hmm. Some colors are common. How many white, grey, silver, black cars do you see? They are so common you don't notice them. Dependent upon the car, color matters. And as someone else mentioned, thats not even Paint to Sample. Get into Paint to Sample and then you are in another world entirely.

Yes, Color matters.

Options, on the other hand, not so much, except maybe if you are selling a classic at auction (IMO). Its after market parts that people get upset over. Some dump thousands into a car to find the aftermarket parts are worthless on resale.
On classic or exotic cars? Yeah, I can see that. But on an M3? I'm not spending extra just for a different shade of white.
Old 19 August 2017, 08:57 PM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
On classic or exotic cars? Yeah, I can see that. But on an M3? I'm not spending extra just for a different shade of white.
But it's the exceptionally rare Eldorado Ice.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 11:36 PM   #45
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My "daily beater" car is a Hybrid, Exactly two years and eight months old, and has 19,000 miles.... My Vette, is a 95, has 46,000. I need to drive more.
What is it with you fly boys and Corvettes?

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 11:41 PM   #46
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
I sometimes browse the for sale ads for pre-owned performance cars and have noticed guys selling cars with options that aren't typical and asking ridiculous prices because they seem to think that this rarity is something that adds value. Case in point, someone was selling an M3 with some package and color combo and he was touting that there were only a handful made with this combination and he was asking like $15k more than other comparable cars were selling for.

Are these people delusional? Option packages add some value but color? No freaking way dude. You're out of your mind.

In the end, unless it's a Porsche GT or some other rare and desirable exotic, it's just another depreciating asset.
Why worry about it, go to someone else who is more realistic.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 11:47 PM   #47
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I have a Prius, and it gets three times better mileage than my F250, but the truck is way more fun to drive. There's something primal about the guttural rumble of a big block diesel that a whiny hybrid can't induce.

I've been offered $12k for my truck about 10 times over the last five years. I paid $12k for it as the second owner in 2002. It seems to be hanging onto its value quite well.

That's trucks in general. Especially diesel trucks.

Though not diesels I lease my silverados. 3 year 15k year leases. I drive them for 2 1/2 years and average 25k a year. Toward the end of the lease I trade out of the lease unscathed every time.

There is something about trucks and the way they hold their value. Had a friend ask me how I did it every time and he wanted to do the same thing with a sedan or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I told him to just forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 12:32 AM   #48
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Why worry about it, go to someone else who is more realistic.

Regards

Mick
I'm not worried. It was merely an observation.

Just watched a 1961 Jaguar XKE convertible sell on Chasing Classic Cars, expected to sell for $375-475k and it sold for $300k. It was a gorgeous red with tan leather interior.

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 20 August 2017, 12:45 AM   #49
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Pilots I know either drive Porsches or Corvettes. The need for speed.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:09 PM   #50
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
People are crazy. That's all I know
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote