The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 October 2011, 08:02 AM   #31
herbalt
"TRF" Member

There are some replicas, especially the 16610 sub date that are extremely close to the look of the real thing. Most of them though have some big tells, and if you read about the state of the replicas you'll be aware of them. It doesn't bother me if people want to wear a fake Rolex, because they're clearing doing it to be perceived as either having wealth or good taste and not for the craftsmanship, history, and lore of the actual thing. I don't care if people think my Sub C is fake either, since I don't wear it fo anyone but me. I live in NYC and work in midtown among bankers and other wealthy business people. I see lots of real Rolexes and lots of fakes.
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:10 AM   #32
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

The guy working the counter at the gas station the other day was wearing a fake Sub. How did I know it was fake? Easy, he was working the counter at the gas station.

People talk about the crown guards being off, the rehaut being off, etc. - nobody ever mentions the fact that the guy wearing it had on $10 shoes, $5 jeans and a $2 t-shirt. More of a dead give away IMO.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:17 AM   #33
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post
People talk about the crown guards being off, the rehaut being off, etc. - nobody ever mentions the fact that the guy wearing it had on $10 shoes, $5 jeans and a $2 t-shirt. More of a dead give away IMO.
I'd tread very carefully if I were you. That could just as well have been me, and I assure you my watch is genuine. Granted, I do own a half-decent pair of shoes, but I'm definitely not always wearing them.
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:19 AM   #34
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
My obsession

My watch obsession is for Rolex stainless steel GMTII's, polar expII's, subs.

Lately I am seeing beauty in day dates, air kings, date just--- dam, I'm hooked...! I am giving up my car hobby to fund a few Rolex purchases.

I need a Monday- Friday work rolex for my long sleeve conservative days.
I need a weekend Rolex for outdoor activity..
I need an evening out on the town Rolex...
Old 12 October 2011, 08:26 AM   #35
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316lad View Post
I saved all my life for my Sub no date.
If that's a "win" or not would depend on how old you are, I would think.
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:28 AM   #36
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
I have EVERYBODY beat....my income is zero!!!
I doubt it, ever hear of debt? :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:32 AM   #37
316lad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
I have EVERYBODY beat....my income is zero!!!
Nope you don't.

I owe EVERYBODY money.

Income? That's for the little people.
316lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:45 AM   #38
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by (DMB) View Post
T They don't have a wife telling them that they can't blow a whole paycheck on a watch. (ahhh, the good old days). So they get that Rolex. Hell, at least they don't have to smuggle it in under the cover of darkness like so many of us watch nerds on these forums.
The good old days indeed!! Who didn't open a Fedex box in the bathroom performed a stealth walk to the bedroom to put away in the drawer quickly ...
Old 12 October 2011, 08:57 AM   #39
Bobble

Watch: GMT IIc, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
The good old days indeed!! Who didn't open a Fedex box in the bathroom performed a stealth walk to the bedroom to put away in the drawer quickly ...
Ahh, that's how I've got to do it :cheers

My problem is my wife wears my Omega Seamaster and I the GMTIIc, if I bought another she would know straight away got no chance of another
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 01:48 PM   #40
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
At least two subway rides of ~30mins each per day. Yeah, now that I own a Rolex I'm constantly on the look out for others.

It being NYC, I tend to see a few here and there.
Old 12 October 2011, 02:04 PM   #41
The Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
The Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 02:16 PM   #42
Rani Drama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage69 View Post
I learned when I was young, that less money you made, the better quality you should buy.
My dad ingrained in me the saying "You're too poor to be cheap" always buy quality over quantity and always buy only what you really want and don't settle for something less. Buying something twice always costs much more than buying what you really wanted in the first place. This lesson made me always ask myself 3 questions whenever i was going to buy something.

1. Do I really want it?
2. Do i really need it?
3. Can i afford it?

In the end i didn't really need as much as i always thought i wanted, in turn i am totally debt free and now can afford these luxuries because now the 3rd question is much more frequently answered as yes. An example was i purchased a new car a couple years ago. Had a deposit on a BMW 550i and was pretty much set on it. I asked myself do I want it? and said yes, when it came to do i need it? i was like not really, can i afford it? it was a bit of a stretch at the time so i took my deposit back and bought a fully loaded Toyota Prius focused on my finances a bit better and this august was looking into buying an Aston Martin which I have always dreamed about owning. The BMW was nice but it wasn't what i REALLY wanted instead focused on just getting what i NEEDED to get by and will eventually save up for what i REALLY want.

If someone REALLY wants a Rolex i'm sure they will one day work on how to get it and find a way to afford it.

About how everyone wears rolexes. It's true lots of fakes around. I've been on several flights this year almost approaching 20 by the end of next month and many times i would sit on the plane and notice someone near me wearing a rolex. I would comment and say nice watch and they would actually tell me that they are fake. They would let me look at it and i could see the differences from mine. At least if someone admits to it and doesn't act like it's real it's less offensive. (well to me at least)
Old 12 October 2011, 02:24 PM   #43
Rani Drama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Sub
Quote:
The guy working the counter at the gas station the other day was wearing a fake Sub. How did I know it was fake? Easy, he was working the counter at the gas station.

You never know it could have been the owner of the gas station. I knew a guy who worked the counter in just whatever clothes he could find. He didn't care because he wasn't there to impress anybody with his clothes. His watch was a tool and he wouldn't leave home without it. The guy owns 4 gas stations.
Old 12 October 2011, 02:29 PM   #44
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That was me to a T yesterday, except I was pumping my own gas
Old 12 October 2011, 02:32 PM   #45
chevycorvette
"TRF" Member

Watch: still looking
it is a mass produce item. sure u will notice rolex everywhere.

u see a lot of people wearing rolex, and u do not like it. it is totally ok.

99.999% male will look for a female. hopefully u are not the 0.0001%

by the way. i truly respect bolt+bolt or nut+nut combination. everybody has their choice.
chevycorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 03:08 PM   #46
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplec View Post
correct there are tons of good fakes out there.
x2
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:20 PM   #47
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani Drama View Post
You never know it could have been the owner of the gas station. I knew a guy who worked the counter in just whatever clothes he could find. He didn't care because he wasn't there to impress anybody with his clothes. His watch was a tool and he wouldn't leave home without it. The guy owns 4 gas stations.
Didn't mean any offense by it. Was said more in jest than anything else.

And I failed to mention the guy looked about 19 yrs old tops so pretty sure it wasn't the owner.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:59 PM   #48
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I have a Rolex and Im so poor that when I go into KFC I lick other peoples fingers.
better that than nibbling on their thighs i say.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 09:04 PM   #49
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
you can buy a genuine casio for the price of a fake rolex ,,, guess thats a different discussion. fake / genuine.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 09:55 PM   #50
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I was browsing the 'For Sale' section earlier today and it struck me that there are some really modestly priced Rolex watches for sale, that are affordable by any working bloke who really wants one. It hit me that a $7K watch is no big deal when there are many that are $20K plus. For me, the price point that really separates the wealthy from the rest is when the watch costs more than a new family car.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 12:05 AM   #51
Like To Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
Those 850,000+ watches made a year gotta go somewhere!
Like To Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 12:11 AM   #52
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Don't forget the over 2 million/year (I was told) Rolex replicas out in the wild as well.
I had dinner at a local restaurant the other day and ALL the waitors were sporting fake PAMs
Just today a photographer was wearing a fake EXPII

Very true. Lots of look alikes as well etc.
Old 13 October 2011, 12:22 AM   #53
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Checkout guy at Whole Foods the other day had on a SS Daytona...

... with a racing flag engraved on the back.

Guy sitting across from me on the bus had on a DJ... that ticked.

But, yeah, you can spot a lot of them, real or fake. I was at a BD party for one of my kids' classmates this weekend and the father had on a Polar Expy2. Our discussion of it was brief -- once I learned his mum got it for him as a graduation present I just complimented her taste and let any of the wis-talk go.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 01:18 AM   #54
fespo276
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The bottom line is that they just are not so expensive or exclusive that a so-called average person cannot afford them. If that gas station kid was driving a $5000 car, most people would say, "sure, makes sense." However, these people would not feel the same if he had on a $5000 used Sub. Why not, 5 grand is 5 grand. Maybe the kid likes Rolex's more than all of us combined and chose to spend a larger portion of his income on one. Maybe he works at a gas station because he wants to, and has a million bucks in the bank. In my field, I work with alot of people who look and act destitute. You would be shocked at how many have bigger bank accounts that their "upper-middle class" neighbors.
fespo276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 01:26 AM   #55
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
I'd tread very carefully if I were you. That could just as well have been me, and I assure you my watch is genuine. Granted, I do own a half-decent pair of shoes, but I'm definitely not always wearing them.
AMEN....I dress "well" for work with an occasional suit for meetings...On weekends you would SWEAR I was homeless but I got a Rolex on!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 02:27 AM   #56
dnagwhogas
"TRF" Member

Watch: N :Learn
Quote:
Not really, I know your $ amount is exaggerated but I know what you mean. I'm not a big fan of expensive clothing but I can tell you for sure that my Rolex watches are real. It's a cliché, but never judge a book by it's cover I guess....

P-Club Member # 7

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.
dnagwhogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 02:55 AM   #57
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I think the moral of this thread is that there are tons of fakes out there.

I was in my barber shop the other day and I had my Breitling on. The guy cutting my hair commented on it and said he knows a guy that comes in all the time with Breitling and Rolex fakes and will spend a few hours and sell 6 or 8 watches to their customers in a few hours. $250-400 a each.

He'll buy lunch for the barbers so they don't tell the boss, who is never there.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 04:08 AM   #58
JRWoOo

If an individual wishes to spend their hard earned dollars on a fake that will last only a few years I say let them have the misfortune of having a watch that is inferior in every way... My only concern is getting through grad school so I can one day post some handsome wrist shots on this forum and enjoy the fruits of my labor for years to come :)
JRWoOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 04:29 AM   #59
jizeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: neilswatches@gmail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani Drama View Post
i know some people in the same situation. so i wouldn't be quick to judge his watch being fake.
jizeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 05:16 AM   #60
lou430
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
Rolex started as an everyday reliable watch and turning to a luxury item. I wear my sub lv everyday and love it.
lou430 is offline   Reply With Quote