The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Scottsdale Report

I spent the day watch gazing today and thought I would share some field intelligence

First stop; Vegas Pawn in South Scottsdale:

About 40 Rolex's, 10 Breitling's and assorted other Swiss watches including a couple of Tiger Tudors.

Good selection of Rolex's; a couple of GMT Master II's, 4 subs; three that were TT and 1 SS. 2 Daytona's, plus a bunch of Day Dates and Just Dates. Prices are high in my opinion for a Pawn Shop with only a few watches coming with B&P's.

Second Stop; Estate Watch and Jewelry in Old Town Scottsdale:

First time in here, massive selection of pre-owned watches including some vintage and about 100 pocket watches. They had an old Waltham sport watch on a leather strap with a rotating bezel, pretty cool. Plus an old Omega, all gold, very handsome.

Small selection of Rolex's and everything they had was TT or Gold, nothing in SS. They had 4 subs, two Blue dial TT, a silver dial TT and a black dial TT.

Prices seem fair for pre-owned and they told me they really only try and buy stuff with boxes and papers and they provide a 2 year warranty.

Third Stop; Ben Bridge in Fashion Square Mall:

For an AD they were thin on watches; I went there to see if they had the New Explorer II so I could see for myself what it looks like. Not a one, they claim about 2 weeks away and no waiting list !!! They offered to call me on arrival, price $7,750, and they expect 1 black and 1 white.

They had 2 Daytona's an all gold with gold dial and black sub-dials and a TT with black face and black sub-dials. The sub dials had small gold rings around them, extremely sharp watch. Didn't ask the price on either.

They had a couple of old Explorer II's and claimed they had been selling great with them being discontinued and all maybe...

Then they had the other usual suspects; subs, GMT's, etc.. About 75 watched on display.

They invited me to a Rolex party they are having on November 18th and they expect the new Exp II by then and said they were getting a very large order to hold them through the Holiday's. Overall, they were very nice and they dragged the lady watch-tech out to meet me from her clean room, they do full service right there in house and said it runs about 4-6 weeks.

She seemed almost embarrassed that I told her I had read some of here threads on this site, especially the one on what happens during a major service.

Last Stop; Hamra Jewelers in North Scottsdale:

Spectacular collection of Rolex's I mean they have everything, counted 10 Daytona's every combination including Gold in different dial colors, TT in various dial colors and two SS. Even had an all gold pre-owned. They had some crazy MOP dial with a leather strap that was to die for.

No sign of the new Exp II, they said 2 weeks, said price was around $8,000. It seems like they have 2 of every watch including BNIB GMT Master II's with coke bezel's in the case. Probably 200 plus watches, plus a massive selection of Breitling's and Omega's.

Pre-owned case had 2 no-date subs, 2 deep seas, 3 GMT Master II's, a couple of sub w/dates (one with cyclopes removed) and the green dial and bezel sub (sorry for my ignorance in describing this model). Lastly, they had about 8 just dates in all sort of combinations. Top dollar on everything and they told me this; if they get a watch in trade with papers, they SHRED them for security reasons. They claimed many of their watches come from athletes and celebrities and no way the could give me something with Charles Barkley's name on it Ok, whatever.

I had fun today, excuse my watch vernacular as I've only been at this about a year, there's tons out there to buy.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 08:00 AM   #2
azguy
Banned

I fell in love with this watch today

The holes in the leather strap and the cream dial was incredible unique, maybe an early X-Mas gift to myself

http://watchlink.com/catalog/product...oducts_id=3648

I don't know anything about it and need to do some research. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 30 October 2011, 08:00 AM   #3
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
Good info for me! I work in Scottsdalr. If you ever want to scout watches in the wild, come to Scottsdale Quarter. I see beautiful pieces all day. Saw a gorgeous Patek moonphase the other day. The watches the guys around here wear make me drool.

I was curious about Estate. Seen them, but never went in. Everyone is always telling me to check watch shops in Scottsdale.

We need to have a Phx area GTG!
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 08:10 AM   #4
azguy
Banned

The "quarter" is crazy, all the time there's "all" sorts of arm-candy to look at there. I was at Dominick's last night and every guy at the bar was sporting a Rolex, is was hilarious.

Actually, Hamra said they would welcome us for a GTG as a starting point and then down to the quarter for drinks?
Old 30 October 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I spent the day watch gazing today and thought I would share some field intelligence

First stop; Vegas Pawn in South Scottsdale:

About 40 Rolex's, 10 Breitling's and assorted other Swiss watches including a couple of Tiger Tudors.

Good selection of Rolex's; a couple of GMT Master II's, 4 subs; three that were TT and 1 SS. 2 Daytona's, plus a bunch of Day Dates and Just Dates. Prices are high in my opinion for a Pawn Shop with only a few watches coming with B&P's.

Second Stop; Estate Watch and Jewelry in Old Town Scottsdale:

First time in here, massive selection of pre-owned watches including some vintage and about 100 pocket watches. They had an old Waltham sport watch on a leather strap with a rotating bezel, pretty cool. Plus an old Omega, all gold, very handsome.

Small selection of Rolex's and everything they had was TT or Gold, nothing in SS. They had 4 subs, two Blue dial TT, a silver dial TT and a black dial TT.

Prices seem fair for pre-owned and they told me they really only try and buy stuff with boxes and papers and they provide a 2 year warranty.

Third Stop; Ben Bridge in Fashion Square Mall:

For an AD they were thin on watches; I went there to see if they had the New Explorer II so I could see for myself what it looks like. Not a one, they claim about 2 weeks away and no waiting list !!! They offered to call me on arrival, price $7,750, and they expect 1 black and 1 white.

They had 2 Daytona's an all gold with gold dial and black sub-dials and a TT with black face and black sub-dials. The sub dials had small gold rings around them, extremely sharp watch. Didn't ask the price on either.

They had a couple of old Explorer II's and claimed they had been selling great with them being discontinued and all maybe...

Then they had the other usual suspects; subs, GMT's, etc.. About 75 watched on display.

They invited me to a Rolex party they are having on November 18th and they expect the new Exp II by then and said they were getting a very large order to hold them through the Holiday's. Overall, they were very nice and they dragged the lady watch-tech out to meet me from her clean room, they do full service right there in house and said it runs about 4-6 weeks.

She seemed almost embarrassed that I told her I had read some of here threads on this site, especially the one on what happens during a major service.

Last Stop; Hamra Jewelers in North Scottsdale:

Spectacular collection of Rolex's I mean they have everything, counted 10 Daytona's every combination including Gold in different dial colors, TT in various dial colors and two SS. Even had an all gold pre-owned. They had some crazy MOP dial with a leather strap that was to die for.

No sign of the new Exp II, they said 2 weeks, said price was around $8,000. It seems like they have 2 of every watch including BNIB GMT Master II's with coke bezel's in the case. Probably 200 plus watches, plus a massive selection of Breitling's and Omega's.

Pre-owned case had 2 no-date subs, 2 deep seas, 3 GMT Master II's, a couple of sub w/dates (one with cyclopes removed) and the green dial and bezel sub (sorry for my ignorance in describing this model). Lastly, they had about 8 just dates in all sort of combinations. Top dollar on everything and they told me this; if they get a watch in trade with papers, they SHRED them for security reasons. They claimed many of their watches come from athletes and celebrities and no way the could give me something with Charles Barkley's name on it Ok, whatever.

I had fun today, excuse my watch vernacular as I've only been at this about a year, there's tons out there to buy.
I went into Vegas pawn a few months ago...was way to high and the ones he had that day looked to be in rough shape.
I always check out E.D. Marshalls...good display plus he will come down in price if you just ask.
Hamra's has everything
Molina's is very expensive....and I saw Sir Charles walking around the store several years ago....guess they have to pay big bucks to stay on Camelback
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 08:49 AM   #6
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Sounds like a fund day scouting. I'm in Tucson and would try to make the trip for an AZ GTG! Our only Rolex options here are Marshalls Jewelers, Ben Bridge and Jared's (for the moment).
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 09:08 AM   #7
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
John, now that's what I call a productive day! I wish my wife would let me do something like that... Next time I'm in Arizona I will know who to call!
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 09:15 AM   #8
azguy
Banned

Come on out, the weather is perfect we'll window shop and play golf or something
Old 30 October 2011, 10:09 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Sounds like you had fun, thanks for sharing.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Nice review but Wesleys is a nice place as well small but great people. Ed Marshalls is my favorite, local place, great staff, and very fair. Used to find nice vintage stuff at estate sales too
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 11:07 AM   #11
rolepam312
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the report, live in chandler and scottsdale was home at one point..
Been to all the places you mentioned! Have you tried Hyde Park in biltmore ? Great Rolex and AP collections! How about Oliver Smith in Gainey ranch? Panerai's( got my 312 there) they have a nice collection of IWC and JLC! Happy hunting!
rolepam312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 11:29 AM   #12
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
Nice review but Wesleys is a nice place as well small but great people. Ed Marshalls is my favorite, local place, great staff, and very fair. Used to find nice vintage stuff at estate sales too
I like Marshall's and Ganem ....I have bought 2 Breitlings, a Datejust and a Seamaster/Speedmaster from them (Ganem) at 20-25 percent off
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 12:47 PM   #13
azguy
Banned

Been to ED Marshal's and Ganem, just not today. Didn't know about the Gainey Ranch spot and I think I'll hit the Biltmore next Saturday

I like Marshal's pre-owned collection, there always seems to be something new. The Estate place was pretty amazing, I would highly recommend it if you live in town.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:15 PM   #14
j1crimmins
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, IWC
ED is the best. Live in Scottsdale for 6 years the people there were great

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.275019,-94.181776
j1crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 01:17 PM   #15
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
The "quarter" is crazy, all the time there's "all" sorts of arm-candy to look at there. I was at Dominick's last night and every guy at the bar was sporting a Rolex, is was hilarious.

Actually, Hamra said they would welcome us for a GTG as a starting point and then down to the quarter for drinks?
I am TOTALLY down. Let's recruit a little and make it happen. I know David Farek(perpetualman88) is usually down as he lives in Tucson but comes to Scottsdalr quite often.

Let's do this! It'd be a lot of fun!
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 01:51 PM   #16
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Good info, I visit Phoenix and Tucson about 3-4 times a year on business. Next trip, if time permits, I have some plans!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 03:17 PM   #17
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongNinja View Post
I am TOTALLY down. Let's recruit a little and make it happen. I know David Farek(perpetualman88) is usually down as he lives in Tucson but comes to Scottsdalr quite often.

Let's do this! It'd be a lot of fun!
Count me in.
Old 31 October 2011, 12:44 AM   #18
azguy
Banned

Well, if someone wants to take up the charge I'm 100% there. I live 2 miles from Hamra and the Quarter so I have no excuse

I'm busier than a one armed paper hanger but if somebody wants to call Hamra, pick a date and post it, lets do it

After Hamra it could be off to the "Quarter"
Old 31 October 2011, 12:55 AM   #19
Like To Watch
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you a good time.
Like To Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 01:09 AM   #20
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Interesting
kingSubTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 01:27 AM   #21
hbbfam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
[QUOTE=azguy;2835036]Third Stop; Ben Bridge in Fashion Square Mall:

.QUOTE]

The "lady" you mentioned is a world renowned watch maker. She probably knows more about these watches than anyone in the state. She has worked on my Rolex and I wouldn't anyone else with it. The people at that Ben Bridge are terrific. I would not go anywhere else in this area.
hbbfam is offline   Reply With Quote