The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 March 2024, 07:25 AM   #1
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Watch Winder

Hi everyone, do you use a watch winder if you don't wear your watch for a long time? I'm not sure if setting the time and date erratically can damage the watch movement.
Quaress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 08:05 AM   #2
macluven
"TRF" Member

I was in a authorized Rolex repair store to have my TT Daytona serviced for inaccurate timing a couple of years ago (watch was out of warranty). The person servicing my watch asked if I ever used a watch winder, to which I answered "no, is there a good inexpensive brand you could recommend?"

He told me not to use a watch winder. These high end watches have lubricant inside that keeps all the components lubed up. Even if you don't wear your watch for a while, you don't have to keep it on a winder. Keeping your watch on a winder eventually goes through the lube and you'll have to get the watch serviced sooner rather than later. So if you're not wearing your watch, just leave it alone. When you do decide to wear it, just set the time and go.

I don't own a watch winder (not just because of what he said) because I rotate through my watches and have never had an issue with any of them keeping good time (knock on wood).
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 08:08 AM   #3
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
No need go worry as it wont damage the movement. There is alot of opinions on the forum ref winders - buy one if you want or leave the watch on the kitchen table.

If you had a watch with multiple complications that are tricky to set (e.g perpetual calendar), then there is a stronger case for a watch winder
2001jesper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:13 PM   #4
Dave O
"TRF" Member

I have 12 watches, all but two are automatics. I keep them all on winders. My oldest Rolex worked for 15 years prior to needing service. During this time it was either on my wrist or on a winder. So I don't think the winder did it any harm.

When I want to wear a watch, I really don't want to take the time to wind it, set the time and date. Wouldn't be without one for each of my watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6267.1.jpg (226.7 KB, 65 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 04:04 PM   #5
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I have 12 watches, all but two are automatics. I keep them all on winders. My oldest Rolex worked for 15 years prior to needing service. During this time it was either on my wrist or on a winder. So I don't think the winder did it any harm.

When I want to wear a watch, I really don't want to take the time to wind it, set the time and date. Wouldn't be without one for each of my watches.
Wow,, what a collection ���� I am also lazy to wind it or set a time/day. I will go this way.
Old 13 March 2024, 08:28 PM   #6
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post

Did you also think about full gold GMT? I am going to order next week a solid gold Sub (Bluesy) so I am curious about your choice about TT.
Old 13 March 2024, 11:29 PM   #7
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaress View Post
Wow,, what a collection ���� I am also lazy to wind it or set a time/day. I will go this way.
Thanks, and it really makes it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaress View Post
Did you also think about full gold GMT? I am going to order next week a solid gold Sub (Bluesy) so I am curious about your choice about TT.
No, I never even considered the solid gold GMT. The TT just spoke to me.

I really like TT watches as having a splash of SS tones down the watch a bit. That's part of the reason my bluesy in on a blue Rubber B strap. I do have one PM watch though. My RG Daytona on an OF strap. Again, I like a little off-set of color vs the entire watch being solid gold. But that's just me. Everyone has a different preference - which is fine.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 10:30 PM   #8
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Orbita watch winders.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote