The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 1 May 2014, 03:10 PM   #31
PrimareSPA21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack81 View Post
I just picked mine last saturday from AD. I must say its amazing looking watch. Felt so much wrist presence n the blu bezel is really nicely done. Your review just make me glance it over n over again bruce. Congrats.
Congrats on your new purchase I'd love to see some pics on the above thread BLNR owners club
PrimareSPA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2014, 04:03 AM   #32
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Quote:
I just picked mine last saturday from AD. I must say its amazing looking watch. Felt so much wrist presence n the blu bezel is really nicely done. Your review just make me glance it over n over again bruce. Congrats.
Thanks for the feedback. It is always nice to hear. Cheers.
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 11:35 AM   #33
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Great review. I've been torn between the incremental cost of this and lower cost/more flexible but more boring black bezel GMTs but am now convinced I should hold out for this one.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 01:38 PM   #34
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
Great review. I've been torn between the incremental cost of this and lower cost/more flexible but more boring black bezel GMTs but am now convinced I should hold out for this one.
Worth every penny!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 04:06 PM   #35
PrimareSPA21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Worth every penny!
Well and truly worth it.
Old 13 May 2014, 08:38 PM   #36
E2icroyc
"TRF" Member

NIce review!
This is actually my first post in this forum. this will be my first rolex too. I'll get mine this Saturday.
E2icroyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 08:42 PM   #37
PrimareSPA21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2icroyc View Post
NIce review!
This is actually my first post in this forum. this will be my first rolex too. I'll get mine this Saturday.
You will love it
Old 14 May 2014, 06:57 AM   #38
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by E2icroyc View Post
NIce review!
What a great first Rolex! It's all downhill from here. Post pics and a review once you get it.

I started 15 years ago with a Sub Date. I wore it for 10 years and sold it for a small profit. I then picked up my black face Daytona and have worn that a lot. I'm into racing so it's my "perfect" watch. I also have a white face Daytona that is still BNIB and a Z-series GMT Pepsi.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 04:37 PM   #39
justrx
"TRF" Member

What Datejust model is that in the picture? Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie D View Post
Review – Rolex GMT Master II Ref. 116710 BLNR (2013)

So here we are, just a little more than a year after acquiring my first Rolex (a Datejust 116200 also reviewed here) I walked out of my local Rolex AD with this gorgeous new watch. I had been warned by many on this forum that Rolex becomes an obsession and for many one will not do.

After a successful year in business I decided to start casually hunting for a second Rolex. The broad critera being that it needed to contrast the look of the Datejust I already owned. That pretty much narrowed it down to the professional models. Budget also was a factor so precious metals were out. I knew early on that the budget ceiling should be around $10k (incl tax $CAD) to keep my wife on board with the idea we should have a second Rolex. Possible candidates included YM 116622, and Sub-C 116610LN.

Ever since the BLNR debuted at Basel last year it had intrigued me and I know there has been plenty of discussions on the forums about this watch vs. the Sub-C. It took me a few trips to the AD to choose between the two as they are both spectacular watches. Subjectively the BLNR won out for me because blue is my favorite color (sorry Hulk fans, I’m red/green color blind so that one was out). Also, contrary to a lot of discussion on the forums I really like the polished centre links on the oyster bracelet. I find the PCLs add a nice texture to the watch as a whole when viewed from a distance.

While not a pilot myself I do travel across this huge country we call Canada on business multiple times per year. The time zone functions of the GMT are appealing in that way however were far from a deciding factor. In this age of instant electronic info and “there’s an app for that”, my watch selection is primarily based on aesthetics and quality.

Everyone always focuses on the bezel for this watch and rightfully so. The ceramic piece is stunning in real life. It has a gloss that drips with quality and precision. The bezel turns with precise clicks that are dampened so well you could swear there was some kind of viscous liquid filling underneath. Approaching the two tone color scheme of the bezel I had concerns of matching the watch to colors in my clothing. I was going to wear this timepiece with suits as well as casual wear so it had to be versatile. The blue is definitely subdued enough in most lighting situations that the watch can be worn with just about anything. When worn with a simple tee shirt and jeans I love finding some direct sunlight to really bring out the richness of the blue section. The platinum inscribed numbers have a crispness that just pops off the bezel.

I love the contrast of the very very black dial to the very very white dial on my Datejust. The large markers and hands are nicely proportioned and the blue time zone hand is tastefully subtle. Interestingly the Rolex branded rehaut is much more subtle than on the Datejust but not lacking in the fine details.

The case is typical Rolex with a vault-like feel to it. I have no doubts about the secure waterproof nature of this watch even though I have yet to submerge it. I am interested to find out someday why they would fit the triplock crown to the GMT although I have absolutely no problem with it at all. From certain angles the wide case lugs do contrast a bit with the narrower oyster bracelet but most often it only serves to emphasize the size and power of the time piece. At 40 millimeters this is about as big a watch that my small to medium size wrists can pull off. I know the new 42mm Explorer II or Yacht Master II would just be too large for me. The GMT has a very good wrist presence indeed. The only drawback is when I put my 36mm Datejust on after wearing the GMT, it does feel small however it wouldn’t keep me from switching between the two. The crown guards rise up nicely and even though I wear the watch on my right hand it never digs in or irritates. The comfort of the GMT is on par with the smaller and lighter Datejust which surprised me. After only two days it was feeling natural on the wrist.

I was familiar with the oyster bracelet from my Datejust but was excited to live with the flip lock clasp system. I had high expectations since the newer DJ bracelet clasp is superb and secure. In fact I wouldn’t have been disappointed if the GMT had the exact same system. The flip lock is a quality system although I find the clasp to be slightly more difficult to quickly latch and unlatch. I suppose that adds to the security of the bracelet but again I have never felt the Datejust system to be anything but secure. Curiously the oyster bracelet on my brand new GMT squeaks and chirps a quite a bit under movement as if it needs some kind of lubrication. Any advice on this in the comments would be welcome.

As I am not very technical when it comes to movements I can only say a few mostly subjective comments in this regard. The watch appears to keep time very accurately. It spends the nights on the bedside table inactive. I like the idea of the parachrom hairspring and the engineering precision behind the Rolex COSC certified movements. I hope as my Rolex adventures continue I will become more knowledgeable about the inner workings of these beautiful timepieces.

To summarize I have absolutely zero buyer remorse about purchasing this watch new through an authorized Rolex dealer. I feel it is well worth the price regardless of speculation on future values or what Rolex may come out with at Basel in a month’s time. It certainly will get a great share of my wrist time over the foreseeable future and I can only hope it stems my desire for the next Rolex just long enough to save up. I’m already thinking two tone for the next watch… it really never ends, does it?

Thanks for reading and making this forum great to visit on a daily basis.

Cheers,

Bruce
justrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 01:12 PM   #40
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

My Datejust is a 116200 I purchased new in 2013.
Old 20 May 2014, 01:40 PM   #41
Rolex_Persia
"TRF" Member

Porsche and Rolex my two favourite brands and weakness.
Old 20 May 2014, 02:41 PM   #42
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Great review
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 05:06 AM   #43
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:

So here we are, just a little more than a year after acquiring my first Rolex (a Datejust 116200 also reviewed here) I walked out of my local Rolex AD with this gorgeous new watch. I had been warned by many on this forum that Rolex becomes an obsession and for many one will not do.

After a successful year in business I decided to start casually hunting for a second Rolex. The broad critera being that it needed to contrast the look of the Datejust I already owned. That pretty much narrowed it down to the professional models. Budget also was a factor so precious metals were out. I knew early on that the budget ceiling should be around $10k (incl tax $CAD) to keep my wife on board with the idea we should have a second Rolex. Possible candidates included YM 116622, and Sub-C 116610LN.

Ever since the BLNR debuted at Basel last year it had intrigued me and I know there has been plenty of discussions on the forums about this watch vs. the Sub-C. It took me a few trips to the AD to choose between the two as they are both spectacular watches. Subjectively the BLNR won out for me because blue is my favorite color (sorry Hulk fans, I’m red/green color blind so that one was out). Also, contrary to a lot of discussion on the forums I really like the polished centre links on the oyster bracelet. I find the PCLs add a nice texture to the watch as a whole when viewed from a distance.

While not a pilot myself I do travel across this huge country we call Canada on business multiple times per year. The time zone functions of the GMT are appealing in that way however were far from a deciding factor. In this age of instant electronic info and “there’s an app for that”, my watch selection is primarily based on aesthetics and quality.

Everyone always focuses on the bezel for this watch and rightfully so. The ceramic piece is stunning in real life. It has a gloss that drips with quality and precision. The bezel turns with precise clicks that are dampened so well you could swear there was some kind of viscous liquid filling underneath. Approaching the two tone color scheme of the bezel I had concerns of matching the watch to colors in my clothing. I was going to wear this timepiece with suits as well as casual wear so it had to be versatile. The blue is definitely subdued enough in most lighting situations that the watch can be worn with just about anything. When worn with a simple tee shirt and jeans I love finding some direct sunlight to really bring out the richness of the blue section. The platinum inscribed numbers have a crispness that just pops off the bezel.

I love the contrast of the very very black dial to the very very white dial on my Datejust. The large markers and hands are nicely proportioned and the blue time zone hand is tastefully subtle. Interestingly the Rolex branded rehaut is much more subtle than on the Datejust but not lacking in the fine details.

The case is typical Rolex with a vault-like feel to it. I have no doubts about the secure waterproof nature of this watch even though I have yet to submerge it. I am interested to find out someday why they would fit the triplock crown to the GMT although I have absolutely no problem with it at all. From certain angles the wide case lugs do contrast a bit with the narrower oyster bracelet but most often it only serves to emphasize the size and power of the time piece. At 40 millimeters this is about as big a watch that my small to medium size wrists can pull off. I know the new 42mm Explorer II or Yacht Master II would just be too large for me. The GMT has a very good wrist presence indeed. The only drawback is when I put my 36mm Datejust on after wearing the GMT, it does feel small however it wouldn’t keep me from switching between the two. The crown guards rise up nicely and even though I wear the watch on my right hand it never digs in or irritates. The comfort of the GMT is on par with the smaller and lighter Datejust which surprised me. After only two days it was feeling natural on the wrist.

I was familiar with the oyster bracelet from my Datejust but was excited to live with the flip lock clasp system. I had high expectations since the newer DJ bracelet clasp is superb and secure. In fact I wouldn’t have been disappointed if the GMT had the exact same system. The flip lock is a quality system although I find the clasp to be slightly more difficult to quickly latch and unlatch. I suppose that adds to the security of the bracelet but again I have never felt the Datejust system to be anything but secure. Curiously the oyster bracelet on my brand new GMT squeaks and chirps a quite a bit under movement as if it needs some kind of lubrication. Any advice on this in the comments would be welcome.

As I am not very technical when it comes to movements I can only say a few mostly subjective comments in this regard. The watch appears to keep time very accurately. It spends the nights on the bedside table inactive. I like the idea of the parachrom hairspring and the engineering precision behind the Rolex COSC certified movements. I hope as my Rolex adventures continue I will become more knowledgeable about the inner workings of these beautiful timepieces.

To summarize I have absolutely zero buyer remorse about purchasing this watch new through an authorized Rolex dealer. I feel it is well worth the price regardless of speculation on future values or what Rolex may come out with at Basel in a month’s time. It certainly will get a great share of my wrist time over the foreseeable future and I can only hope it stems my desire for the next Rolex just long enough to save up. I’m already thinking two tone for the next watch… it really never ends, does it?

Cheers,

Bruce
An excellent review from a fellow Canadian and it truly helped with making up my mind on the purchase of my BLNR.

Love your SS Datejust.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 05:45 AM   #44
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
An excellent review from a fellow Canadian and it truly helped with making up my mind on the purchase of my BLNR.

Love your SS Datejust.

Thanks Eric, enjoy your BLNR! Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 June 2014, 07:17 AM   #45
bearone2
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
beautiful
bearone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 05:15 PM   #46
Rob starc
"TRF" Member

nice write up btw
Rob starc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 04:11 PM   #47
Covello
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, IWC, No
great review!! Good to hear of a BLNR making it's way across Canada!
Covello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 02:11 AM   #48
jack81
"TRF" Member

My contribution hagd all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140531_191042.jpg (72.1 KB, 987 views)
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2014, 05:55 PM   #49
Ells
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My contribution hagd all
Hello, nice review :)
I have a question, is it all the blnr have smaller date? I planning to get one but when i got into the AD, i realised the date magnification is smaller than my other rolex watches, is it only this one at my AD or it's a new design?
Thanks
Ells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 07:03 AM   #50
Soulo
"TRF" Member

The 116710 will be my 2nd Rolex purchase
Soulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2014, 03:43 PM   #51
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Thanks for the review.
Your photos are great !
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 12:17 AM   #52
Oliver63

I wanna get customize Rolex GMT Master I.. is it feasible.. please let me know if I get consult to RSD Watches New York... are they capable for customizing such unique model of Rolex?
Oliver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 04:35 AM   #53
crown1081
"TRF" Member

Great Review Bruce! I just broke down and bought the BLNR myself. Love the watch and in agreement with you on your thoughts. Mine had the squeak too but it went away after a few days.
crown1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 06:11 PM   #54
Simonb45
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful watch that looks the part in any attire. It looks great with a suit or just as much at home with something more casual.
Simonb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 03:47 PM   #55
Jeffa32
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
Quote:

Cheers,

Bruce

Lovely review Bruce. It certainly helped me in choosing to to add a BLNR to my collection. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2015, 05:57 PM   #56
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

To all BLNR wearers:

What do you think about brushing the centerlinks on the bracelet as an after-purchase mod?

I have seen someone at work wearing the BLNR and let me tell you, in a short sleeve shirt, those polished centerlinks really takeover the watch, almost like too much chrome on a Harley.

Thinking to brush the centerlinks will redeem the tool watch character and reduce the Bling.

What say you?
Rolexiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2015, 01:48 AM   #57
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexiva View Post
To all BLNR wearers:

What do you think about brushing the centerlinks on the bracelet as an after-purchase mod?

I have seen someone at work wearing the BLNR and let me tell you, in a short sleeve shirt, those polished centerlinks really takeover the watch, almost like too much chrome on a Harley.

Thinking to brush the centerlinks will redeem the tool watch character and reduce the Bling.

What say you?
Some like it, some not. There are several posts of those who have done this very thing.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2015, 09:42 PM   #58
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexiva View Post
To all BLNR wearers:

What say you?
No.

I bought the watch for how it looks and performs. I have no interest in customizing.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 09:09 AM   #59
Blubarb
2018 Pledge Member

As you'll see by the date I have come to this review late, but nevertheless your thoughts has been extremely helpful in helping me decide whether to get a BLNR or not. There is no doubt I will be adding one to the collection. Thank you.
Blubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 03:39 PM   #60
scombs263
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_Persia View Post
Porsche and Rolex my two favourite brands and weakness.
Mine too. With Harley Davidson pulling in third place. 😊
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote