The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 July 2014, 11:05 AM   #61
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I was more surprised to hear the 5990 was out....
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 11:07 AM   #62
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
OP~ Sorry for your poor experience. I was just in that AD last week, killing some time, before meeting some friends for lunch. I had a very similar experience -- until they noticed my LV. I was dressed down for the East Coast -- very subtle Robert Graham button down, jeans, and flip flops. I was thinking of picking up a BLNR and shipping it back home to California.

The best part -- the guy handed me his card as I was leaving. I simply said, "No" and placed it on the counter and walked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
I have lived in northern VA long enough to know it is full of snooty snobs who think they are above God. An unfortunate fact.
^ I left Fairfax 20 years ago. Every time I go back, I'm shocked to see (and forget) the amount of snootiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Here in L.A. we have youngbloods in "The Business" who have just closed multi-million $$ deals walking around in shorts and sandals, so it isn't smart to judge people based on their appearance.

It's also not nice, and I will never do business with anyone who isn't nice...
^ This! I've bought a couple of my watches in a baseball hat, t-shirt, and flip flops -- and received the nicest service/treatment from the moment we walked in the door.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 11:58 AM   #63
DCGuy1965
"TRF" Member

Haven't read thru all replies yet but had to respond since I'm very familiar with this AD. That's really interesting they treated the OP like that. I've been there many times drooling on the ALS case as they are the only dealer in the area and have chatted with a lot of the sales staff but hey all it takes is one bad apple.

As for the AD in Alexandria John mentioned I second the fact they are absolutely awesome to deal with. Family owned and their selection is not too shabby. They can order any grail watch you want. Also they are very good about the price. Not going into specifics here but they will do much better than mall chains.
DCGuy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 12:00 PM   #64
SkipperSteve81
"TRF" Member

I met with a guy named Michael I believe last week and received phenomenal treatment at this AD. I was wearing my speedmaster and browsing for my first rolex. The gentleman showed me no less than 10 rolex models as I am considering buying one for my wife as well. He gave me his card and the current rolex magazine before I left. I bought a navitimer from their store in Fairfax years ago and always received good service when I would go in for bracelet to strap changes at any of their stores. At the other Tyson's mall they've been patient with me while shopping with a 1 yr old in a stroller.
SkipperSteve81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 12:22 PM   #65
zen watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc
Probably lack of sales training. A friend of mine, who is a manager in a luxury car dealership, always tells her sales staff not to discriminate people based on what they're wearing. He said that there are times when those who wear simple clothes, some even in their slippers, are the ones who buy.
zen watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 12:34 PM   #66
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Go somewhere else
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 12:56 PM   #67
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
Good ADs are definitely hard to find. There is only one place by me where the service is consistently good...they don't carry Rolex though

Also, I have never spoken to a sales clerk that knows reference numbers of any kind and I've been to a lot of places.
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 12:59 PM   #68
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Very true. Just about every large or substantial purchase I've ever made was when I was my most comfortable, in shorts and flip flops. I don't have to dress up for work so I don't, and I'm certainly not going to do it when I go buy a new watch or car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen watch View Post
Probably lack of sales training. A friend of mine, who is a manager in a luxury car dealership, always tells her sales staff not to discriminate people based on what they're wearing. He said that there are times when those who wear simple clothes, some even in their slippers, are the ones who buy.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 01:18 PM   #69
Capvvc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky D and family
I have bought a couple watches from the AD in Tyson's 1, sharam and Ali are good guys. I bought a couple watches from Tourneu in Pentagon City, they do a pretty decent trade in program. I have been the the store you discussed and I did not love the vibe. Feel free to drop my name, Chris with the moving company. I am well liked.
Capvvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 01:25 PM   #70
Neunundneunzig

Sorry you had that experience. I have had that rare experience as well, but most visits seem to be a great experience!
Neunundneunzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 01:36 PM   #71
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
I show them my Centurion card....
I know it's gauche, but I prefer a wad of $100 bills.

Actually, I don't walk around with that kind of money, but I have paid for my Rolex watches with a combination of checks and cash.

I prefer the cash, but sometimes a check is easier, like when I put a down payment on my BLNR on the spur of the moment and just happened to have my checkbook in the car.

As for snooty help, I will not suffer them, even for a moment. I'll turn around, or get up, and leave in a heartbeat, if I even think I won't get good service, whether it's a shop or a restaurant.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 01:43 PM   #72
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I've been to Lillenquist several times, even bought a breitling off them 8 years ago. Love that they sell ALS but that's about all I can say good about them. Last I was in there was around 3 weeks ago and nobody really tried to help me. I had to ask someone to show me an 1815, at which point he saw my aquanaut and all of a sudden turned into mr nice guy.

However, I've had two good experiences at lenkersdorfer in Tyson 1. They carry Rolex, AP, PP, JLC and many more good brands. Very attentive sales people on both occasions whom shadowed me around the store after greeting me and showed me pieces I asked to see as well as pieces they thought I might like.

If I told them what sort of discount I'd like on the APs they probably would have laughed me out of the store unfortunately.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 01:53 PM   #73
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
My wife said it did not work with my pale skin.
I find Borg skin is more bluish-gray than pale.
Old 29 July 2014, 03:33 PM   #74
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
This is how I get rock star service when dressed a la hobo;

I call my concierge service first, either Vertu or Amex and ask them to locate a dealer with the references I want to look at and the name of the sales rep that will be assisting me and arrange a time.

I arrive at that time and no matter what I am wearing or how bad I smell from the gym the service is out of this world.

This all requires minimal planning on my part and the bulk of this is done via email, all in the span of 15 minutes.

This could be done even at a mall store. Same principles. Certain locations will have your coffee or wine waiting for you when you come in.

A little planning can make or break the experience.

Last edited by Muzz; 29 July 2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 03:40 PM   #75
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
This is how I get rock star service when dressed a la hobo;

I call my concierge service for either Vertu or Amex and ask them to locate a dealer with the references I want to look at and the name of the sales rep that will be assisting me and arrange a time.

I arrive at that time and no matter what I am wearing or how bad I smell from the gym the service is out of this world.

This all requires minimal planning on my part and the bulk of this is done via email, all in the span of 15 minutes.

This could be done even at a mall store. Same principles. Certain locations will have your coffee or wine waiting for you when you come in.

A little planning can make or break the experience.
Hilarious but genius. I sort of like to see what kind of service I will garner on my own though. Always testing sales people
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 03:54 PM   #76
Cru Jones

He might have rubbed you the wrong way, but, at least you got to try on a bunch of watches and, as you said, you'll probably buy here, so, maybe that salesperson initially sized you up correctly.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 04:07 PM   #77
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
You can get indifferent service anywhere and I wonder whether some of the salespeople have been there for more than 5 minutes.
I also wonder if the manager ever explains what is expected of them in the role -and then follows up with a bit of coaching.
Like Grady, when I sense 'indifference' I can't get out of there quickly enough.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 04:50 PM   #78
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspark View Post
Hilarious but genius. I sort of like to see what kind of service I will garner on my own though. Always testing sales people
I would only do this if I wasnt at the particular AD before Tom, but it can really be that simple.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 06:02 PM   #79
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I've had this

Regularly wear shorts and t-shirt and had someone look me up and down. Patronising and assuming i am clueless they proceed to explain the rolex range. Her attitude clearly showd she didn't want to assist until she saw the hulk I was wearing and I explained the DJ I was looking at was a gift for my dad.

I then see their behaviour change and out cones the business card.

Judgemental to say the least
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 06:18 PM   #80
steptoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It's a pity that people are judged by their appearance.

Hey, the man was wearing seersucker........
steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 07:00 PM   #81
roklee
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex explorer ii
Quote:
My local AD is King Street Jewelers in Old Town Alexandria, and though they are small and have limited stock, they have Daytonas (in the back) and Subs and so forth in the case. And they are as nice as can be.

I only went to the Tysons store because of the huge selection, and I wanted the wife to see the various kinds of watches I'm contemplating. Hard to believe she likes a Nautilus over a Daytona, but there's a woman for you

To your point, I will most likely buy from a TRF seller, but I need to try watches on before buying. Because my wrists are small I need to see them in person.
Sales person must be very tired of people coming in just to try on.
roklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 07:06 PM   #82
Viffer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,351050,79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
Hey, the man was wearing seersucker........
Which was hiding his Hulk, keep up Man
Viff
Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 07:08 PM   #83
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
SO earlier today, based on another thread, the wife and I drove to one of the more upscale malls in the D.C. area (Tysons II Galleria) so I could buy a new wallet (ended up with solid Carbon Fiber Dunhill billfold from Neiman's, photos will follow eventually).

Anyway, on the way out we stopped by one of the more upscale ADs (Lindquist, I think) so my wife could see some watches on me. Now the wife was carrying a vintage Hermes Kelly bag and wearing her YM, although I was more casual in jeans and my Rolex was hidden by my seersucker sports jacket.

Nonetheless, the clerk was immediately snooty, looking us up and down and walking away. Being in no mood for nonsense, I asked in a loud voice if someone could show me a Platinum Daytona. The snob returned and said they don't carry that model. They had a huge selection of Rolexes, Pateks, Lange, etc., yet for ME, no Platona.

So I asked if they had an 116520 I could try, and he said, "what?". I said an SS Daytona, and he had to bring one from the back room, looked at the tag, and admitted I was correct on the reference. I took off my Hulk to try it on and showed the wife, I then tried on the RG model. My wife said it did not work with my pale skin. And they had no YG in stock. I commented on their 116613 LB and my wife later said his face showed shock that I apparently knew all the references by number.

Now his attitude changed. I showed an interest in Patek and he rushed us to the Calatrava counter and I said I prefer complications. I mentioned a couple of references and he could not do enough for us. My wife liked the Nautilus line, but I liked the dress complications, although I was surprised at how large the cases were. In my mind they were 36mm but I guess they were now 42 or 43. Too large for my slender wrist.

Anyway, when we left he pressed his card in my hand.

Bottom line: The wife prefers the Nautilus. They had the 5980 and 5990. But my heart is set on a Daytona, so we shall see.
Well in today's world many ADs are just like your post,and afraid the same applies to quite a few Rolex wearers in this world today.I have met quite a few in my travels, some think that by strapping a Rolex on there wrist somehow exalts them to a higher status which is quite sad in many ways.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 29 July 2014 at 10:38 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 09:16 PM   #84
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by roklee View Post
Sales person must be very tired of people coming in just to try on.
Isn't that the point of being an authorized dealer?

Do you think Rolex is tired of having their dealers show their watches?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 11:26 PM   #85
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
In my neck of the woods there are very few purveyors of good watches - a bunch of Rolex dealers who also sell Tissot, etc, but only one who carries a variety of brands - and their inventory is shrinking. Anyway, when I wear a piece that isn't recognized by the sales staff, I usually just tell them it's a Swatch - being in the Swatch Group, e.g., Blancpain or Jaquet Droz, etc. They invariably say, " even so it looks nice."
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 11:43 PM   #86
steptoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
Which was hiding his Hulk, keep up Man
Viff
He should've strapped the watch over the seersucker sleeve.... after all isn't that what the divers extension is for ??
steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 12:04 AM   #87
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Well, this has been an interesting thread. To those who question the 5990 being out,

The sales guy said they were 5980 and 90, and they were the two Nautilus (Nautilii?) displayed against the wall in a glass case, full length. At first I thought they were the 5711 an 12 but he said those were hard to get and these were the new models. I did not notice the split ears like you see in still photos and videos, but they were about three feet away, separated by the horizontal display case. And I wasn't that interested in them at the moment.

Anyway, thanks to all for your amusing comments. I'm 64 yrs old and this is the first time in my life I was treated like I did not belong in a store, although I have heard many stories of others being treated this way in different venues. It did not bother me in the least. Quite funny, actually.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 12:09 AM   #88
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I've never had a problem with a snobby AD. I've been in shops in many cities here in the USA, a couple in Canada, the Caribbean, Ireland and England. The one thing they all had in common? As I walked in the door all sales staff eyes went to my left wrist. On each occasion I was wearing Rolex and service was great. My general dress and appearance otherwise did not seem to matter.
Old 30 July 2014, 12:18 AM   #89
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Come on guys. I don't even know the reference numbers even though I have owned dozen or so Rolex and am on here constantly trying to catch up.

You can't really be too hard on an under trained salesman because he does not know reference numbers. If you said the model names, I am sure he would have gotten it.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 01:00 AM   #90
Viffer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,351050,79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
He should've strapped the watch over the seersucker sleeve.... after all isn't that what the divers extension is for ??
Damn it Steptoe, I wish I'd said that
Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote