The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 July 2014, 01:08 AM   #91
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
With no disrespect meant to the OP, and I certainly wasn't there so I couldn't read "body language"/etc. by the sales staff, to me, loudly asking in an empty store if there was anyone who could show you one of the most expensive watches Rolex sells seems like itself might be a bit off-putting to the staff. Perhaps borderline snobbish itself...

I've certainly been treated poorly by reps in stores, but I've also had the opposite be true. Regardless, I don't try to act over-the-top or any different than I ever do.

Again, no offense meant, and if you feel you're not getting the attention you need, you could certainly raise the issue to someone. There is more than one way to accomplish that, but I guess it depends on what you're going for...

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 03:12 AM   #92
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
No offense taken. You really had to be there. The sales guy looked at us and walked away. I felt justified in getting someone's attention. We had limited time. Not like it was a library or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
With no disrespect meant to the OP, and I certainly wasn't there so I couldn't read "body language"/etc. by the sales staff, to me, loudly asking in an empty store if there was anyone who could show you one of the most expensive watches Rolex sells seems like itself might be a bit off-putting to the staff. Perhaps borderline snobbish itself...

I've certainly been treated poorly by reps in stores, but I've also had the opposite be true. Regardless, I don't try to act over-the-top or any different than I ever do.

Again, no offense meant, and if you feel you're not getting the attention you need, you could certainly raise the issue to someone. There is more than one way to accomplish that, but I guess it depends on what you're going for...
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 04:02 AM   #93
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I call my concierge service first....

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 04:22 AM   #94
Rolex1603
Banned

I have to agree I live in Northern VA and I have been to Torneau and Watch store in Tysons Galeria next to Maggianos. Went there one time and I was the only customer in the store and 20 minutes later they asked me if I needed any help, when they all looked at me when I first when in to the store. There is a lot of rude people in Northern VA not everybody but a bunch.

I swear one of these days I will go dress as a construction worker with mud and dirt and purchase a Daytona lol!!
Rolex1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 04:24 AM   #95
roklee
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex explorer ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
He should've strapped the watch over the seersucker sleeve.... after all isn't that what the divers extension is for ??
Haha!
roklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 04:31 AM   #96
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16550
I like going into places like that and doing anything I can just to annoy them
It's beyond me in this day and age that sales associates still judge a book by it cover.
You just never know

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
ExplorerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 04:37 AM   #97
roklee
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=beshannon;5136543]Isn't that the point of being an authorized dealer?

Do you think Rolex is tired of having their dealers show their watches? [/QUOTE

A manager material...congrats.
Old 30 July 2014, 04:52 AM   #98
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
[QUOTE=roklee;5137394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Isn't that the point of being an authorized dealer?

Do you think Rolex is tired of having their dealers show their watches? [/QUOTE

A manager material...congrats.
Really not sure what you mean?

Perhaps you should think about what you are trying to say before pressing enter.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 05:48 AM   #99
blakeegan
Banned

Watch: 5905P, 5711
ITT a bunch of people who use ADs as showrooms wit no real intention of buying from them, make a game of belittling store employees, referring to store staff as "the help"...seriously?

99% of the time your interaction at an AD has to do with your attitude. Walk into any AD and say hello and smile, you're going to have great service. No one wants to help jerks!
blakeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 05:52 AM   #100
roklee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeegan View Post
itt a bunch of people who use ads as showrooms wit no real intention of buying from them, make a game of belittling store employees, referring to store staff as "the help"...seriously?

99% of the time your interaction at an ad has to do with your attitude. Walk into any ad and say hello and smile, you're going to have great service. No one wants to help jerks!
x2
Old 30 July 2014, 05:59 AM   #101
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
An over-genralization and ad hominem in one post. Nice.

And, FYI, my attitude is very amiable, and I have bought every watch I have owned from an AD, except my first Rolex, which came from a military post exchange. As I said in my posts, this was an exception - the first time it ever happened to me - which was why I posted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeegan View Post
ITT a bunch of people who use ADs as showrooms wit no real intention of buying from them, make a game of belittling store employees, referring to store staff as "the help"...seriously?

99% of the time your interaction at an AD has to do with your attitude. Walk into any AD and say hello and smile, you're going to have great service. No one wants to help jerks!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 06:18 AM   #102
roklee
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=beshannon;5137442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roklee View Post

Really not sure what you mean?

Perhaps you should think about what you are trying to say before pressing enter.
Oops, I take it back. Not manager material. :
Old 30 July 2014, 07:28 AM   #103
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Unfortunate you had to experience this. John - at least now you get to look forward to La Jolla even more, right?
Fresh new ADs for your pleasure.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 07:31 AM   #104
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
It never hurts to remember that people are people - even sales people. Good days, bad days, hungry, tired, hung over, personal probs ......
just saying.
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 08:23 AM   #105
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post
It never hurts to remember that people are people - even sales people. Good days, bad days, hungry, tired, hung over, personal probs ......
just saying.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 09:39 AM   #106
RollieVerde
Banned

Good God Man, are you OK? Such a hideous affront! I'd offer you my sympathies, but I'm sure the Skipper, Gilligan, the Professor, Ginger and Mary Ann will be more than interested in your tale of woe. I suggest a sternly worded letter to the CEO of Rolex (penned with your newly purchased Aurora Diamante, of course).
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 10:03 AM   #107
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

You must be very likable and have a ton of friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
Good God Man, are you OK? Such a hideous affront! I'd offer you my sympathies, but I'm sure the Skipper, Gilligan, the Professor, Ginger and Mary Ann will be more than interested in your tale of woe. I suggest a sternly worded letter to the CEO of Rolex (penned with your newly purchased Aurora Diamante, of course).
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 11:06 AM   #108
Badisblues
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512 Sub
I've been there and the sister location in Montgomery Mall. I had the same experience. They took a look at my long hair, jeans and black Harley leather jacket and helped another customer. Once the sales rep saw I had on a 5512 Sub his disposition suddenly changed. Funny how that works..
Badisblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 11:06 AM   #109
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post

- the wife and I drove to one of the more upscale malls in the D.C. area (Tysons II Galleria)

- so I could buy a new wallet (ended up with solid Carbon Fiber Dunhill billfold from Neiman's, photos will follow eventually).

- Now the wife was carrying a vintage Hermes Kelly bag and wearing her YM,

- I asked in a loud voice if someone could show me a Platinum Daytona.

- So I asked if they had an 116520 I could try, and he said, "what?".

- I commented on their 116613 LB and my wife later said his face showed shock that I apparently knew all the references by number.

- I showed an interest in Patek and he rushed us to the Calatrava counter and I said I prefer complications.

Anyway, when we left he pressed his card in my hand.
Who was snob?
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 11:09 AM   #110
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Not a fan of Lindquist. Shoot up to j brown near owings mills for a better experience picking up that patek...
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 11:28 AM   #111
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It's a pity that people are judged by their appearance.
And to go even farther, if you are above average "good looking" you could be a down right crook / not dressed well at all and still get treated alright.....
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 11:40 AM   #112
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I like this
joli160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 08:57 PM   #113
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeyts View Post
I'm interning literally down the road from Tyson's II and want/need to try on a 116610 on to see if it fits on my wrist well, overall I feel intimidated in that place because of all the generally wealthy folk... I'm glad I read this as I am literally fearful/uneasy about going into an AD to ask to try it on without the intention of buying (I plan on using trusted TRF sellers). I wish I personally knew someone with a Sub. But thanks for the warning. I can't believe they would treat you like that even while you were wearing a Rolex.
You have no reason to be afraid of going into an AD. They sell a product and you want to see it.

Like a car dealership, your experience will be hit or miss. Rolex watches and other fine jewelry are expensive items where customer/salesman interaction is required for what could be an extended period of time and they work on commission. In most AD's, if the price is discounted for you, they forfeit almost all of their take from the sale. In their line of work they can spend an entire day assisting people and make absolutely no money aside from a salary that is insufficient because of the assumption that a salesman will make a commission. This would frustrate anyone because every person makes it sound like they are ready to buy now. Unfortunately this can translate to a bad customer experience.

Just go in there like you would into a car dealership and let whoever is dealing with you know that you are just looking. Most any place I have been to will gladly show you a SubC or ANY Rolex for that matter. My AD is part of a chain. I have made all my purchases at AD's simply because you are paying for the service and experience rather than paying more for the watch. That as well as the fact that I am not brave enough to take the gray market plunge even though this site almost completely mitigates the risk. My 116520 purchase ended up with me dating my salesperson. She has clients that have been window shopping for YEARS trying on the same model Rolex. She knows them by name, is friendly with them, and assists them every time. Although it has been an eternity that they have been looking, she still treats them as if they are a top notch customer as they will likely pull the trigger on it one of these visits.

If you are in South Florida you can gladly try mine on or I can recommend you to my AD where you will be treated well regardless of your intent to buy. If not, go to the AD local to you and don't be intimidated. Your experience shouldn't be unpleasant. If it is, ask to speak to a manager.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote