The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 October 2016, 11:36 PM   #61
racingfreak
"TRF" Member

I stay in SA and trust me when I tell you the perception vs reality is completely different. What you see on tv is isolated to certain areas and if you're vigilant you won't have issues. I live by the motto of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". Yes, there are dodgy areas, same as anywhere in the world, but if you avoid those areas your chances of running in to trouble is slim.

That said, we have a beautiful country and it's relatively cheap if you earn in USD, GBP and EUR. So come and enjoy!

Ps. We dont have any wild animals that roam free in Joburg and Cape Town😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 12:09 AM   #62
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Crikey Micky P I am definitely not going to South Africa with you any time soon.

My sister lives there and I have been going there regularly since 2006, the worst I have seen is a fight between two white guys. The police have been the worst with their bribery requests when being pulled over tbh.

As most have said here, the murderss, rapes etc mostly take place in areas we as tourist would never go. I have walked round with a Breitling on many times with no problems and my brother in law has an omega that he wears all the time over there.

I know stuff does happen over there but you keep your wits about you, as you would in any strange city.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 12:10 AM   #63
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I'm not referencing the original poster as he is Brazilian, but on behalf of all Americans, I would like to apologize for any past and future posts from my countrymen on this subject. They really need to turn off the tv and go see the world.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 12:11 AM   #64
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I have clients I do business with weekly overthere and its safe, just use general caution. When I was there in 2012 I saw a couple Aquanauts and subs.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 02:45 AM   #65
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Crikey Micky P I am definitely not going to South Africa with you any time soon.

My sister lives there and I have been going there regularly since 2006, the worst I have seen is a fight between two white guys. The police have been the worst with their bribery requests when being pulled over tbh.

As most have said here, the murderss, rapes etc mostly take place in areas we as tourist would never go. I have walked round with a Breitling on many times with no problems and my brother in law has an omega that he wears all the time over there.

I know stuff does happen over there but you keep your wits about you, as you would in any strange city.
Shaky

The incident of the wife being murdered and the husband being shot in the face happened in the best hotel in Pilgrims Rest which is a well known tourist hot spot.

We were having dinner and the waiters never even mentioned it. We just carried on eating our meal which actually was rather good. We found out about later in the evening and the advice was to lock the doors and windows and don't resist if it ever happens to you.

The worst mugging took place on the promenade in Durban, a gang of 4 or so 10 - 12 year olds just ran up to a couple and grabbed the woman hand bag and ripped a gold chain off the husbands neck. It all happened in a couple of seconds and the kids just ran off into the street. We were about 50 yards away and by the time we realised what had happened, it was all over.

You may be lucky and not see anything or you may be unlucky but in all my 67 years, I saw more crime in 3 weeks than I did in my entire life.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 03:51 AM   #66
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Cape Town and Duran yes. Joburg no

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 08:06 AM   #67
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well even in the USA murder rate is around 44 per day,simple answer with all these can I wear, or do this or that, just use common sense which hopefully all members have.Now if you go around with a sticker on your forehead saying look I am wearing a Rolex, no matter what part of the world you could be asking for trouble.
Very true but SA is about a 12th of the size of the US. You are right though a little common sense goes along way. I have been in some sketchy places wearing my watch and never had an issue but lately I think more about it. Mostly because of people around me, I just don't want to put people I care about in jeopardy because I want to wear my watch. And some times although not planning for it, a person can end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just my slant on it.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 08:16 AM   #68
Chalet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 13x Rolex Addict
Is it safe to wear a rolex in South Africa?

I've been to SA 20+ times, wear my Rolexes everywhere. No problems.
Chalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 11:24 AM   #69
Navy Sailor
"TRF" Member

Wore my Panerai throughout Africa for over a year while I was deployed there. Don't be a soft target and you'll be fine.
Navy Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 02:27 PM   #70
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS White
I am South African, but don't live there. I recently visited there for 2 weeks and wore my Daytona C every day. As others have said, don't flash it about and avoid dodgy areas and you should be ok. I have had watches stolen there, but that was a house break in in 2011, unlikely if you are a tourist living in hotels. I would caution against leaving it in a hotel safe or gym locker though, rather keep it on where you always know where it is.
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 12:05 AM   #71
dreamcar88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334 dj blue dia
personally i think it comes down to where are you in these locations. If you are hanging in the slums than you deserve it. If you are at a resort or a nice area im sure you wont have any issues. Common sense

james_richardson88 instagram
dreamcar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 02:05 AM   #72
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
You could be completely fine. If anything just insure with Jewler's Mutual before you go and then you're all good.
Many of us on the forums have been denied for JM for "credit" which I doubt. I think it was because perhaps we rented our primary living house. And If you get shot, JM won't help.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 06:00 AM   #73
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
In 2005 (3) I was on holiday in Fortaleza Brazil and brutaly robbed while sleeping in my hotel (Pousada dos turistas) Afterwards I was really lucky that I left my Rolex at home.They robbed almost anything in my room including my Swatch. I will never forget this horrible moment in my life.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 12:52 PM   #74
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardus View Post
In 2005 (3) I was on holiday in Fortaleza Brazil and brutaly robbed while sleeping in my hotel (Pousada dos turistas) Afterwards I was really lucky that I left my Rolex at home.They robbed almost anything in my room including my Swatch. I will never forget this horrible moment in my life.

What do you mean "brutally robbed?" As in beat? Sheepish, I'm just glad you're okay.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 01:11 PM   #75
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by edummjorge View Post
All,

I will travel to South Africa during my vacations, and would like to know if it's safe to wear my Submariner (and where/when).

I will stay in Cape Town, Knysna, Plettenberg, Johannesburg and Kruger Park.

I live in São Paulo, Brazil, so I am pretty much used to put my watch in my pocket depending on where I go.

Thank you,
Eduardo Jorge
---

I was in Sao Paolo in the early 2000s, and I remember that when I checked into the Caeser Park hotel there, 2 different hotel employees told me not to wear my watch when walking around on public streets.

I suspect what you do when in some places in Sao Paolo should apply to being anywhere else with similar high crime reputation.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 04:43 PM   #76
ilovewatchestoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Is it save.... depends on how you look and carry yourself. That is more important than what the location is.
ilovewatchestoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 09:18 PM   #77
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My coworker went over there last year and got mugged and beat up coming out of his hotel in a supposedly safe part of Johannesburg. Be careful over there. If you do wear it make sure your insurance is up to date...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:41 PM   #78
Speed
"TRF" Member

Never at dusk.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:57 PM   #79
Ragna
Banned

Some may disagree with me on this..

But i find it very... very insulting.. to come here and mention a country like that.

and i mean any country.

Ive been robbed in New York and in Europe. Ive friends that have been robbed in London at gunpoint.

So... I think the "Is it safe" series should not apply to countries. They are just too plural to come to any serious conclusion.
You may think you can be robbed, say, in Kazakhstan.. but there are also probably a bunch of guys there going out in gold plated Lamborghinis.

But hey, take it easy, thats just my view
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 12:29 AM   #80
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna View Post

But i find it very... very insulting.. to come here and mention a country like that.

and i mean any country.

Ive been robbed in New York and in Europe. Ive friends that have been robbed in London at gunpoint.

So... I think the "Is it safe" series should not apply to countries. They are just too plural to come to any serious conclusion.
You may think you can be robbed, say, in Kazakhstan.. but there are also probably a bunch of guys there going out in gold plated Lamborghinis.

Yes. These threads are redonkulous. Hence my sarcastic comment...

But they keep on a coming. You can't stop them what with new members joining / new posters posting etc...I try to tell myself that when I see another price increase, Rolex at Costco or "what is the average discount I should expect on a Sub" threads...

Just a fact of life on Internet forums. Again, I try to remind myself as well.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 12:32 AM   #81
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

But they keep on a coming. You can't stop them what with new members joining / new posters posting etc...I try to tell myself that when I see another price increase, Rolex at Costco or "what is the average discount I should expect on a Sub" threads...

Shall we stop members from joining and new members from posting?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:15 AM   #82
z80
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona 116506
Hi,

I wore my GMT II 116713LN there in February this year.

I admit to having felt uncomfortable wearing it on a few occasions. Small example:- Guys filling the car with gas at the petrol station seemed to have x ray eyes and zoomed into it on my wrist while sitting behind the wheel, hands on lap in a non brazened way. Ok, so why was that a problem? Dunno really it was the look they gave me. Most probably I was just being over sensitive.

Inside the game reserves felt ok and on the Rovos train ok too but outside, no. If I went there again I wouldn't take it.

This, just my small minded view and opinion. If I was Jack Reacher then no problem but then Jack Reacher wouldn't have a Rolex; he doesn't have anything.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:27 AM   #83
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

To be honest, the most sensible thing you can do is just to walk around in your underpants. No one will want to take those.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:51 AM   #84
Ragna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

To be honest, the most sensible thing you can do is just to walk around in your underpants. No one will want to take those.

Regards

Mick
Old 14 October 2016, 02:52 AM   #85
Ragna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Old 14 October 2016, 04:21 AM   #86
GMTMasterDallas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
It is not safe to wear a Rolex anywhere. I should be kept in a bank safe deposit vault and only viewed there. Alternatively, send it to me and I will make sure it is kept safe.
^Do what this guy says!
GMTMasterDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:41 AM   #87
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
What do you mean "brutally robbed?" As in beat? Sheepish, I'm just glad you're okay.

I was sleeping in my room when an armed group entered my room. long story, short words.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 14 October 2016, 04:44 AM   #88
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna View Post

and i mean any country.

What is against posting the truth
or contribute to a thread?
I am insulting nobody, no country, no fellow members!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 14 October 2016, 04:57 AM   #89
RGAmos
"TRF" Member

I wore a gold sub in Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Guinea Bissau, Angola, South Africa, and others I can't recall. I am more concerned about wearing it in certain parts of Houston than in any of the named countries.
RGAmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 05:05 AM   #90
artschool
"TRF" Member

i go on holiday to south africa every year.

i always wear my submariner.

and i sleep next to my .375

the only thing i worry about is the cape buffalo.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote