The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 June 2015, 02:40 PM   #1
kirker
"TRF" Member

HELP REQUESTED: Explorer 6150 in need of a dial

There's a short and long version to this story, but unless requested I'll stick with the short one. It's as follows: I stumbled across what I thought was an Explorer 6610 at an estate sale, but after opening it up discovered that I actually had a bona fide Explorer 6150, with a case back dated "IV 53". It's currently being both repaired and serviced, but it has one not-so-minor problem: aside from the dial being the wrong one for the reference, it also turns out that it's a redial. I simply assumed it was a 6610 service dial at first, but viewed via loupe (which I stupidly didn't do earlier), it's obvious that the dial was at some point entirely redone. (The bottom of the dial appears to indicate that the original dial was used as the "canvas" for the redial.)

My conundrum is how to proceed from here, and this is where I could use some expert advice. As I see it, I have several options (none of which involve keeping the existing redial):

1. Find an original 6150 dial. I'm assuming, however, that such a task would be roughly on par with finding the Loch Ness monster. I know full well that 6150s are rare enough as it is, and thus finding a *part* for such a rare watch would be exponentially more difficult. (PLEASE tell me if this is a faulty assumption on my part.

2. Find a later Explorer dial, preferably its closest relative (a 6610). What I'm wondering here is how this would affect the overall watch's resale value. I don't think I would be creating a dreaded "Frankenwatch" going this route, given all the swapping of '50s/'60s/'70s Rolex dials (e.g. radium --> tritium --> luminova), plus AFAIK Rolex never issued a 6150 "service dial" per se in the first place.

Getting back to where, exactly, to procure any of the above dials: I know that RSCs have various NOS dials on hand. My question is whether there's any chance that any RSC would have a 6150 dial available. I would assume they'd likely have a 1016 and maybe a 6610, but is there any possibility that Rolex HQ would have a 6150 dial that's been in storage for 60+ years?

Finally: I know there are plenty of places to buy vintage dials, including here. (No 6150 or 6610 has ever even been *offered* here, however.) Is there a truly reputable seller out there that one of you guys could recommend?
kirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 04:05 AM   #2
Guy h
"TRF" Member

Good Luck. I inherited my grandfathers first quarter 1953 pre-explorer a couple of years ago. The gilt dial was original but in poor condition, I spent many hours trying to source a dial, not a chance! Finally contacted Superlative time in West London who brought it back to life, now keeps perfect time. I continue to search for a replacement dial but fear that if I find one the price will be £££££££! So i take pride in wearing it as it is.
Guy h is offline   Reply With Quote