The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 February 2016, 09:16 AM   #31
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

... first is dropping it in a airplane toilet.
Is it safe to drop a Rolex into an airplane toilet? Haven't searched the threads but pretty sure this topic hasn't been brought up before!
Old 13 February 2016, 10:32 AM   #32
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
"The question I have is; if you wear your watch 23+ hours a day, such as I, do you ever have to wind it manually?"

Yes. The rotor keeps it wound. You should wind it 40 turns once a week.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprd13 View Post
Been wearing my sea-dweller for 8 months never had to hand wind once except from the beginning to get her started!
There ya go!

Pretty much my experience, too. I only wind if I haven't been wearing it for a bit. I sometimes swap out my SDc for my OP39 for awhile (less than 24 hours) and wind my SDc when I put it back on.

Before I bought the OP39 I never wound the SDc because I wore it 24/7.
Old 13 February 2016, 10:38 AM   #33
MTROIS
Banned

What's with people shaking their Rolexes?

Sometimes I 'shake' (rather a couple of fast rotations) my arm to get the watch to fall down a bit over my wrist bone because it had moved up my arm and got "stuck" there. Nothing to do with winding it...
Old 13 February 2016, 10:45 AM   #34
Bafflingbs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Found this... Says wearing your watch everyday, will sufficiently keep your watch wound.
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/blog...rolex-accuracy
Old 13 February 2016, 10:56 AM   #35
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
A gentle but deliberate swirling motion is much preferred to shaking.

You might say I prefer my Rolex swirled not shaken.
Old 13 February 2016, 11:34 AM   #36
gyro
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
The list
Don't shake babies
Don't shake bottles of nitroglycerin
Don't shake your booty after 60
Don't shake Rolexes
:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
Old 13 February 2016, 11:45 AM   #37
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
I like to wear the watch bit loose and I'm quite active person! Also love when my little daughters come to me and hold the watch with their little hands like hell an play with it! Sometimes the watch gets tight on the medium forearm so I shake it to make it to go back to my wrist! Seems I shaking the watch but for different reasons!! :)

I do the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 February 2016, 11:51 AM   #38
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Forget about it.

Rolex advice from 1948...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.0 KB, 375 views)
Old 13 February 2016, 11:55 AM   #39
Rolexdaydateii
"TRF" Member

Dammit ! TRF is too interesting always something to read about something
Old 13 February 2016, 12:05 PM   #40
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Also from an era where they put Radium in beverages and thought lead-based paint over asbestos insulation was just a-okay. Haha
Old 13 February 2016, 12:54 PM   #41
LVSubmariner
Banned

Watch: Submariner 114060
It's not smart
Old 13 February 2016, 02:17 PM   #42
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
six 1948 hrs is like 24 today... what with our active lifestyles and such.

good catch adam!
Old 13 February 2016, 02:47 PM   #43
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Sometimes I 'shake' (rather a couple of fast rotations) my arm to get the watch to fall down a bit over my wrist bone because it had moved up my arm and got "stuck" there. Nothing to do with winding it...
This!
Old 13 February 2016, 02:57 PM   #44
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

Well what about when you play golf with the watch? Isn't that the same as shaking it????
Old 13 February 2016, 04:13 PM   #45
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
I prefer shake 'n bake.
Old 13 February 2016, 08:53 PM   #46
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

good catch adam!
People were different then...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960s-Rolex-Advertisement fire.jpg (106.6 KB, 301 views)
Old 13 February 2016, 09:14 PM   #47
wolffram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have been wearing my sub 24/7 for the past 12 months without manual winding via the crown. I am probably less active than the average, but it's still going
Old 14 February 2016, 02:48 PM   #48
chucelli
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
You must be a shaker.

Shaking a dead watch doesn't do anything more than put a few minutes in the mainspring and starts the hairspring ticking. Your watch won't be as accurate with zero power in the main spring. It's the equivalent of putting a cup of gasoline in your car then coasting down hill all the way to work.

Have worn self winding watches for 20 years and have never needed to wind any of them.
Call me a shaker if that makes you feel somehow more intelligent.
All the comments such as stupid, knobhead, etc... I still havent heard anything about why that would be a detrimental way to start up a stopped watch. Having a background in engineering, i don't see any problems with moving the watch around to get it started. Sure, shaking it violently may not be so good, but i doubt that is what we are talking about. I would argue that the rotor is engineered for more rotations than the crown is made to be unscewed from the the tube , so it may be argued that simply moving the watch and letting the self winding system wind the watch is better than unscrewing the crown from the tube, winding it, and screwing the crown back onto the tube... But whatever.. if the TRF regulars say so, it must be true.
Old 15 February 2016, 03:51 AM   #49
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucelli View Post
Have worn self winding watches for 20 years and have never needed to wind any of them.
All the comments such as stupid, knobhead, etc... I still havent heard anything about why that would be a detrimental way to start up a stopped watch. Having a background in engineering, i don't see any problems with moving the watch around to get it started. Sure, shaking it violently may not be so good, but i doubt that is what we are talking about. I would argue that the rotor is engineered for more rotations than the crown is made to be unscewed from the the tube , so it may be argued that simply moving the watch and letting the self winding system wind the watch is better than unscrewing the crown from the tube, winding it, and screwing the crown back onto the tube... But whatever.. if the TRF regulars say so, it must be true.
Nowhere in a Rolex booklet that comes with a new watch tells you to shake the watch to wind it up! Last time I checked it says to unscrew the crown to the winding position and wind 40 full turns clockwise. Usually the movement starts to run but if not, a gentle swirling motion as you would a glass of wine will start it running. The winding rotor "maintains" the wind in the mainspring, it is not meant to fully wind up a mainspring that is fully unwound. I really don't see some folks made up "rationale" for doing what they do.
Old 15 February 2016, 06:18 AM   #50
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I never wind mine as long as it is on my wrist.
Old 15 February 2016, 06:34 AM   #51
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:

good catch adam!
thought exactly the same thing, considering the typical professions people would have back then etc

still very interesting and im sure still applies to those of us (edit--those of you) with active lifestyles!!!
Old 15 February 2016, 06:35 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This reminds me of the drug dealer who tried to sell me a fugazi in time square when I was 16. He smacked it on my hand a few times trying to prove it was the real deal! I laughed and walked away.
Old 15 February 2016, 07:17 AM   #53
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
In truth, I leave mine on winders when not worn, wind and set for accuracy before placing them on my wrist. Occasionally I must admit to giving my wrist a few extra movements because I like too. So goes unreasonable habits...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 15 February 2016, 09:29 AM   #54
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Nowhere in a Rolex booklet that comes with a new watch tells you to shake the watch to wind it up! Last time I checked it says to unscrew the crown to the winding position and wind 40 full turns clockwise. Usually the movement starts to run but if not, a gentle swirling motion as you would a glass of wine will start it running. The winding rotor "maintains" the wind in the mainspring, it is not meant to fully wind up a mainspring that is fully unwound. I really don't see some folks made up "rationale" for doing what they do.
Those directions are for the numties that have very little experience with watches.

I personally have never put 40 full turns on the winding crown to start any of my Rolex watches. It's totally superfluous to my needs.
I guarantee you that I can start my watch from a dead start and have it set to the correct time on my wrist and gone out the door, while you are still counting winds on your crown.

As previously mentioned in this thread, there were and currently still are automatic watches that require the swirling/rotational shaking technique to get then kick started. After starting one simply sets the time then puts the watch on to wear as normal without issue what so ever.
They have no winding crown.
It is not possible to even detect any variation in timekeeping from letting the natural movement of the wrist wind the watch up to full power.

Our Rolex watches have an extremely efficient bi-directional "self winding rotor".

Only the anal, heavily sedated, or near comatose individuals among us need to put 40 full turns on a daily worn Rolex watch unless they genuinely suspect there may be an issue with the self winding mechanism.
Old 15 February 2016, 09:34 AM   #55
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucelli View Post
You mean the self appointed regulators
Remember just because they say it is so, doesn't make it factual
Old 15 February 2016, 11:50 AM   #56
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
They don't now how to wind them?
Old 15 February 2016, 11:55 AM   #57
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Only the anal, heavily sedated, or near comatose individuals among us need to put 40 full turns on a daily worn Rolex watch unless they genuinely suspect there may be an issue with the self winding mechanism.
Pretty harsh words. I predict you're not going to be making many friends here by generalizing anyone who winds their watch as anal, sedated, or comatose.
Old 15 February 2016, 12:19 PM   #58
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Those directions are for the numties that have very little experience with watches.

I personally have never put 40 full turns on the winding crown to start any of my Rolex watches. It's totally superfluous to my needs.
I guarantee you that I can start my watch from a dead start and have it set to the correct time on my wrist and gone out the door, while you are still counting winds on your crown.

As previously mentioned in this thread, there were and currently still are automatic watches that require the swirling/rotational shaking technique to get then kick started. After starting one simply sets the time then puts the watch on to wear as normal without issue what so ever.
They have no winding crown.
It is not possible to even detect any variation in timekeeping from letting the natural movement of the wrist wind the watch up to full power.

Our Rolex watches have an extremely efficient bi-directional "self winding rotor".

This thread does not deal with "other watches that need to get shaken". We are talking about Rolex here. And the tone of your post is a bit condescending.
So you obviously know more than Rolex themselves how to wind one of their watches since the directions in the booklet are for "numties".
Old 15 February 2016, 12:19 PM   #59
BLM2
"TRF" Member

Nervous habbit.

Lee
Old 15 February 2016, 01:16 PM   #60
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Some of you have never owned old Seikos, I see. Lol.