The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2016, 05:29 AM   #1
Peter.dench
"TRF" Member

Potential Pepsi Purchase

Hi All,

First post for me as a new member, but info base here seems amazing. Apologies for all the P's in the title!

Ok, so I currently own a green glass Milgauss, and an Omega planet ocean big size.

I have been looking at a vintage GMT Pepsi, and a, very tempted to make a purchase. From a reputable independent jeweller in the UK. 1981 16750 in great condition. I have been to view today. I am comfortable it is not a copy etc. hands in correct order. Matt dial with no WG around the lume. Swiss T <25 at bottom of dial would suggest it's the correct time period. Not opened the back, but appears to be a serial number 7xxxxxx in between the lugs at 12 o'clock. Bracelet shows some signs of stretching, but nothing too bad, printed with 93150 at first link. Small amount of patina on minute hand, and lume matches rest of the dial. The watch comes with original box, but no papers.

I have read a bit about different dials, and associated rarity but am not sure how desirable this version is, any advice welcome.

Tried to understand if the number between the lugs is serial number, but can't quite work it out.

I can purchase for £3500. I am looking to get a better understanding of there are any warning signs here that I am missing, and if value seems fair (I have checked online, but tricky to find direct comparisons)

P.s. The bezel seem a bit stiff to move, but that may just be that I am used to new watches. Jeweller is offering 1 year warrantee included.

Any advice, or opinion very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete
Peter.dench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 01:03 AM   #2
Peter.dench
"TRF" Member

Come on guys, I know you are all dying to add your thoughts, and knowledge here.

Whilst I am here, meet the current line up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160312_145610.jpg (117.6 KB, 313 views)
Old 13 March 2016, 01:21 AM   #3
bbressler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp, GMTII, Sub
Sounds like you've done some good research already. You might get more response in the vintage forum, and with pics of the watch in question. Those matte dialed pepsi's are beautiful, good luck with the purchase!
bbressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 02:06 AM   #4
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Pictures would help us. Not really sure what you want us to tell you. The case could be over polished, wrong endlinks, who knows? We're only going on what you've told us.

Buy one from one of the sellers here, you'll get a better deal than brick and mortar and it's much easier for us to vet.

As an aside, the 93150 bracelet is for the Submariner, but could be ordered on the GMT. Pilots used the dive extension to go over flight suits. I've personally seen a few USAF pilots who wear their GMTs like that.
Old 13 March 2016, 02:47 AM   #5
Peter.dench
"TRF" Member

Thanks Joe.

Difficult without pictures, I completely understand. Problem is the jeweller was not to happy for me to take them. I was surprised that the number between lugs was not '16750' and was what I can only assume was the serial number - which is what I thought went between the lugs at the 6 position.

I will go with a seller from.here instead I think.

Thanks for your help.
Old 13 March 2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Dandoun
Banned

Get the captain america - amazing watch.
Dandoun is offline   Reply With Quote