The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2016, 03:04 AM   #31
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
May Have to Move Up Rolex Plan for Son

I got a Rolex for graduation. IMHO I would look at it much differently if it would've been passed down after my dads death. I look at my DSSD with joy and accomplishment now but it might make me sad and thinking of my father all the time of it was his watch until death. The DSSD I got was new and never anyone else's watch and I think that is special too but either way give it to him NOW. He has earned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 04:34 AM   #32
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I got a Rolex for graduation. IMHO I would look at it much differently if it would've been passed down after my dads death. I look at my DSSD with joy and accomplishment now but it might make me sad and thinking of my father all the time of it was his watch until death. The DSSD I got was new and never anyone else's watch and I think that is special too but either way give it to him NOW. He has earned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree... That's why I kind a reword myself in better times
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 06:47 AM   #33
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
Looks pretty clear that we are going Rolex shopping shortly.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 07:46 AM   #34
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR/Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Me and my wife are snowbirds. We live in Florida in the winter and Wisconsin in the summer. My 2 boys are up in the mid west. They both recently finished College and we didnt do anything big for there graduation (other than fund it all). So I got the idea a year or so back to get them both something to enjoy and remember the occasion. A Rolex was my first thought since watches are one of my passions.

I have owned 8 Rolexs in my life. They never have had one yet and may have never bought one in the future due to tight finances and just starting out in life. So me and my wife are in a good position and I have been working and saving some extra and I have secured 2 GMTIIC's for them both. I am a retired Aviator so the GMT was a natural.

When we get back up North in May we will surprise them and then they will have a common bond with Dad and Mom. Hopefully a memory similar to yours in the future is in the making.
Super, great story, love the GMT and your aviation hook. But funding their education was a pretty significant event! When my kids were younger and going to private primary school - they asked me why I did not drive a nicer car. I told them I buy a really nice car every year - and they get to drive it at school.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote