The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2017, 10:07 PM   #31
dodosa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 2016
Simplicity always wins. Go to Explorer 2016.
dodosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:46 PM   #32
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I was facing a similar decision, but went with the SubC Date, for the simple reason of functionality. The Sub Date has three key functions I need that the Explorer doesn't:

1. Glidelock provides 18mm of adjustability in 2mm increments, so the watch will always fit right. The Explorer has the Easylink, which is an all-or-nothing 5mm extension. It's actually the finer graduations on the Glidelock that serve me better than the the full range of its adjustability. Most days, I only need to adjust the Glidelock one position in or out to accommodate the contraction or expansion of my wrist. Given that, it's clear the 5mm extension would not work as well for my needs.

2. The elapsed-time bezel comes in handy for timing any number of situations, whether it's parking meters, coffee breaks, pizza orders ("it'll be ready in 15 minutes"), or whatever. I'm always using it, and would miss not having it. The Explorer doesn't have it.

3. A date function. Since you're looking at the 114060, this is a moot point for you. For me, a date is really helpful. I have an Omega Seamaster 300, which does not have a date, and as much as I like that watch, I find it frustrating if I want to know the date, and I look down at my wrist and can't see it. I realized getting an Explorer (or the 114060, for that matter) would perpetuate the frustration, so I went with the Sub Date.

Of course, the Sub also has greater WR than the Explorer, but I don't need it, so it wasn't a factor in my choice.

I think the Explorer is a great watch, and the tweaks Rolex made to the 2016 release perfected the 39mm version. But it simply wouldn't offer the functionality I seek in a daily-wear watch, which made my decision pretty easy, once I resigned myself to the greater expense of the Sub Date. That doesn't mean I won't someday get an Explorer; it just wasn't tops on the list.

Good luck with your decision.
Re point 1. You can adjust the clasp of the Explorer. It's not as easy as the glidelock, but it is adjustable in three or four steps. You are right, it's not something you'd do whilst driving a car, for that you need the Sub's glide lock. On the other hand, I have not touched my glide lock in months. Personally the glide lock is a 'nice to have' feature, not a must.
Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:49 PM   #33
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodosa View Post
Simplicity always wins. Go to Explorer 2016.
Whatever you choose, one thing is certain, you WILL have buyers remorse.
Buy the Sub and you'll miss the Explorers simplicity.
Buy the Explorer and you'll feel stuck with a simple watch and you'll be helpless every time you need to time your pizza.

Buying both will only create new problems. Now you are burdened with choosing which one to wear.
Old 22 January 2017, 12:05 AM   #34
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
My Explorer (pre Basel 2016, so shorter minute hand, white gold numerals) was my third Rolex; had it been my first, it likely would be my only Rolex.

Versatile, durable, reliable. Great bracelet, accurate, goes anywhere. It's my daily watch.

My 14060m is a great timepiece, it's just that I hardly wear it anymore. Anybody want it?
Old 22 January 2017, 12:11 AM   #35
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
In my opinion the classic sub is dead, with the inflated case and ceramic bezel. I've had a 114060 and a 116600 and both just felt to flashy. I now have the new explorer and couldn't be happier. Plus I have a seiko diver for diving and snorkeling. Get the explorer...

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 03:25 AM   #36
mquintie
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone!!

I'm going to try them on again - and let's see where I get!
mquintie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 04:36 AM   #37
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
Whatever you choose, one thing is certain, you WILL have buyers remorse.
Buy the Sub and you'll miss the Explorers simplicity.
Buy the Explorer and you'll feel stuck with a simple watch and you'll be helpless every time you need to time your pizza.

Buying both will only create new problems. Now you are burdened with choosing which one to wear.
This post should be a sticky. Perfect!
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:05 AM   #38
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Re point 1. You can adjust the clasp of the Explorer. It's not as easy as the glidelock, but it is adjustable in three or four steps. You are right, it's not something you'd do whilst driving a car, for that you need the Sub's glide lock. On the other hand, I have not touched my glide lock in months. Personally the glide lock is a 'nice to have' feature, not a must.
Considering almost no other watch has the Glidelock clasp, you're right - it's not a must. If it were, Rolex would put it on every watch they make (which is almost what they've done with the Easylink), and every other company would come up with their own version. But the degree of its desirability may depend on the wearer. My wrist size fluctuates a lot depending on the ambient temperature and my activity level, and I find Glidelock a useful feature to have on a regular basis. The Sub adjusts better than any other watch I own, and that includes the Omega SM300, which has their own answer to the Glidelock. Granted, I do not have a watch with Easylink for comparison.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 06:15 AM   #39
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Considering almost no other watch has the Glidelock clap, you're right - it's not a must. If it were, Rolex would put it on every watch they make (which is almost what they've done with the Easylink), and every other company would come up with their own version. But the degree of its desirability may depend on the wearer. My wrist size fluctuates a lot depending on the ambient temperature and my activity level, and I find Glidelock a useful feature to have on a regular basis. The Sub adjusts better than any other watch I own, and that includes the Omega SM300, which has their own answer to the Glidelock. Granted, I do not have a watch with Easylink for comparison.
Have you seen the new Omega micro adjustable clasps that came out last year? It's a great design, and Omega even makes various links to fit them to lots of various models. They'll sell you the clasp at the AD for less than $200 here in the US.

That may push Rolex to make a smaller version of the Glidelock. Either way, clasps aren't all that big a deal for me, because Rolex clasps have worked well for decades.
Old 22 January 2017, 06:20 AM   #40
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Have you seen the new Omega micro adjustable clasps that came out last year? It's a great design, and Omega even makes various links to fit them to lots of various models. They'll sell you the clasp at the AD for less than $200 here in the US.
Yeah, my Seamaster 300 has it. It's actually easier to use than the Glidelock. I can adjust it with one finger without even taking off the watch. It's definitely an improvement over previous Omega diver clasps, which had zero micro-adjustment. I still think the Glidelock does a better job overall, though, even if it is a bit more tricky to use on the fly.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 06:24 AM   #41
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, my Seamaster 300 has it. It's actually easier to use than the Glidelock. I can adjust it with one finger without even taking off the watch. It's definitely an improvement over previous Omega diver clasps, which had zero micro-adjustment. I still think the Glidelock does a better job overall, though, even if it is a bit more tricky to use on the fly.
Yeah, I think the smaller version for the non-diver watches is particularly compelling when it comes to Rolex competing.
Old 22 January 2017, 07:16 AM   #42
Craftbjjr
"TRF" Member

I bought bought the new Sub after thinking it was the end all be all watch for me for years. The Explorer was never on my radar, I always envisioned the no date sub as being THE Rolex watch and that was the one I was set on getting once the time came where I was ready to purchase a Rolex.

Once I received my Sub and wore it for a few days I ended up having buyers remorse. After spending some time on the Rolex Explorer Club post on this forum I became positive that I had made a mistake and should have gone with the Explorer.

The simplicity of the Explorer really resonated with me. I went back to the TRF seller that I bought my Sub from and exchanged it and a little extra cash for a Brand new 2016 Explorer. I have had it for a few months now and could not be happier with my decision. It was a costly case of Buyers remorse as the Explorer ended costing me more than it should have but it was totally worth every penny to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craftbjjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 07:32 AM   #43
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Whow, nice, stunning picture! Which rubber band is it?
Old 22 January 2017, 07:50 AM   #44
Craftbjjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whow, nice, stunning picture! Which rubber band is it?

Thanks! It's the Everest curved rubber strap

Craftbjjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 09:10 AM   #45
theprocess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftbjjr View Post
Thanks! It's the Everest curved rubber strap

Looking good on the Everest.

Room for both Sub and Exp1 in any collection.
theprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 01:52 AM   #46
timmytimng
"TRF" Member

Even though they are both a bit similar, I would say SUB SUB SUB!
timmytimng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 04:06 AM   #47
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I was recently looking at both these watches. Unless the price difference was huge which it isn't, there's no reason for me to get the explorer. I'm sold on the sub.
Old 12 August 2017, 05:23 AM   #48
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Sub by a mile.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 05:26 AM   #49
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Explorer by a Mile and a Half.
ExpSubGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 08:09 PM   #50
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Explorer
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 08:28 PM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If you haven't already, head in to your AD to try them on. One will sing to you louder than the other.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 10:23 PM   #52
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
This is no contest in my mind, Submariner all day every day...the 114060 is incredible.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 01:23 AM   #53
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Have you tried those watches on? That may help you decide.
This! I've had a SubC 114060 for almost two years and absolutely love it, it is the most comfortable watch I've owned. I recently added a new (2016) Explorer and while the watch looks great I just couldn't get a good fit from the Easy-link bracelet, I've been spoiled by the Glidelock of the SubC, perfect fit all the time. Fast forward a few weeks and I've sold the Explorer and added a 116610LV "Hulk" and it fits like a dream, I won't buy another Rolex without it.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 02:16 AM   #54
subking86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
When I got my sub I tried both on. The explorer had never really crossed my mind when I went in. I really just tried it on, along with many others, just to make sure nothing else sang to me like the sub.
The sub has always been my favorite watch since I was a kid. Now that I have my sub, I want to add the explorer. But the explorer could never replace my sub.

subking86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:10 AM   #55
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Sub
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:12 AM   #56
sager
"TRF" Member

Submariner
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 03:45 AM   #57
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
What's not to like about the Submariner? Different dials, metals, date, no date with a storied history to go along with it. It's the model that got me hooked on watches, let alone Rolex. I've had I think about 10 different ones between 5 and 6 digit models. LV's an LVC, a TT and some of the ones mentioned above.

Having said that, I'd go for the Explorer ✌🏻
Old 13 August 2017, 05:50 AM   #58
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintie View Post
Hello everyone,

I have another sub vs explorer thread, but I truly can't make up my mind.

I am looking at the 2016 Rolex Explorer 39mm and the Submariner. I love the 14060, but the bracelet on the 114060 makes me lean there.

I have an SKX007, SKX009 and a Baume and Mercier Clifton. I also have an Omega Speedmaster, a vintage Seiko from my father and a gold Seiko from my father-in-law.

Is the logical choice the Explorer? or should I throw logic out the window and go with the classic sub?

I know we have seen many of these threads before, but hoping you can guide me in the right direction!

Thank you
Mike
Either the Explorer or a real (5 digit) GMT Master for which you can get a Sub bezel and have two watches in one.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 07:03 AM   #59
McDusty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamkerr View Post
I actually experienced the opposite. I had a mk1 Explorer which I sold to fund a SubC date. I got maybe a handful of comments on the Explorer and not one on the sub.
Thats because, depending on where you live of course, Black Subs are everywhere. So commonplace your hardly going to get a mention from anyone.

In NYC at least, it seems like McDonalds gave them away with a BigMac meal.
McDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 07:37 AM   #60
McDusty
"TRF" Member

Love the Hulk though, much rarer
McDusty is offline   Reply With Quote