The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2017, 02:14 AM   #1
nicomendoza
"TRF" Member

Getting My First Rolex: SubC vs GMTIIc vs DJII

Now I'm 31, and I think I finally made it! I could now afford to get my first Rolex and for about 5 years now I always thought I wanted to get a Submariner, I went down the store a year ago and tried it on, but looking at the catalog in-store, a GMT-IIc caught my eye much better. Well, they didn't have the GMT-IIc at that time, so off I went.

Fast forward a year, and I put myself on a waiting list for both the SubC and the GMT-IIc, leaning towards the SubC because I told myself that it was both "iconic" and "timeless" - so it should be an easy, obvious decision that I *think* I won't regret. That's me being on the safe side, so to speak...

Then, now I came across the Datejust II, smooth and black faced with the Oyster bracelet. I always saw this model in the Rolex AD near me, but always kind of ignored it, since I was *set* on the SubC. But then, I gave it a look a while ago, and I think it's classy and casual at the same time. It's not an obvious choice, but I think it looks good on me. I'd like to buy itBut then, after waiting for my first Rolex for this long, I wouldn't want to regret it.

Like I said, I'm 31, I'm an IT consultant working in the banking industry. We dress business casual (long-sleeved shirt, black pants and shoes, but no tie), I also attend some formal black-tie events maybe twice a year. For leisure, well, I don't do any sports, just the occasional stroll at the park or in the neighborhood. I do have my share of leisure travel, but not in a business sense so I never felt the need to track several timezones.

This is a watch I would like to wear all the time, and I think the DJ II hit it, and it is after all the cheapest among my 3 choice. But then I also know that I can be an impulse buyer. That's my main motivation for trying to be "safe" with the SubC to begin with, though when I tried the SubC, it felt more like a watch others expected me to have rather than a watch that's "me".

So, end of story, should I:

1. Get the GMT-IIc BLNR which caught my eye in the catalog, never seen before -- but be on 4 month waitlist.
2. Get the SubC - my safe choice
3. Get the DJ II - one that caught my eye recently after having passed it up so many times, but think is most appropriate for my lifestyle.

I hope you guys can share with me your two cents so I can get my first Rolex!
nicomendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:23 AM   #2
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
With these items, they are an emotional purchase, not based on rationale. Buy the one that sings to you most. If you feel the DJ most suits ur lifestyle, that may be the way to go. I have to warn you, whatever u buy, will not be your last, especially since you signed up here on TRF. Total enablers. Which one do you look at, and your breath is simply taken away? If you answer all, you can't go wrong.

Based on what you said, the DJ may be ur best choice. Simple, elegant, and classy. I've been wearing my Explorer II a lot lately because I love the simplicity of the SS bezel.

Welcome to the forums.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:27 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome aboard

You have to go with your gut on this one, there is no wrong answer. If it were me, I'd go for the Sub. It was your first wish, and it will never go out of style
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:29 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

None of us can choose for you and they're all obviously winners as an only watch option (especially BLNR, but I am biased there). The best thing imo is to stay patient as these are luxury items and not necessities and wait till you see a BLNR/try one in real life before making a decision.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:30 AM   #5
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Datejust is very good for you. But I would say BLNR would be something that serves you with everything, 2 time zones, durable and looks good.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:33 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Hey congrats on which ever way you go. My first Rolex was the Sub-C still have it and love it wearing it now but you need to do what is good for you. I also have the BLNR a little more flashy but love it too. You have great taste and any of those three would be awesome Happy hunting!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:38 AM   #7
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Welcome and option two!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:39 AM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Welcome,
I'd say don't play it safe, get BLNR :)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:42 AM   #9
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Obviously a personal choice that no one can make but you. That said, I struggled in the past with a similar decision. Over the years I have been fortunate to acquire them all which makes the problem go away entirely. Haha! But for what its worth if I could only chose one I would likely go with the DJ II.....followed a close second by the BLNR.

Although there is no wrong answer here, the DJII just gave me the perfect combination of versatility, functionality, and look that I was seeking. Don't rush past it if it is calling out to you. It truly is a spectacular watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:44 AM   #10
JSolano305
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/116710BLNR
Get both 114060 and BLNR. Best of both worlds.
JSolano305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 05:53 AM   #11
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It seems the one you want is the DJ, so you should go for it.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:04 AM   #12
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
DJII is a great choice for your work conditions and lifestyle. Go get it!!
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:05 AM   #13
teb1013
"TRF" Member

I yearn for the BLNR but having been in offices my whole life, the DJ is probably the best choice especially if you have occasional black tie events and give any credence to the statement that you shouldn't wear a tool watch with that kind of dress. I have the 36 and, if I were in your position and at your age would probably go for the 41 rather than the DJII, but that's a matter of personal choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:06 AM   #14
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Blnr ;)
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:13 AM   #15
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Can I chuck another spanner in the works?

You want a watch for all occasions that will look equally as good no matter what you're wearing.

Have you had a look at the Explorer?

Goodluck

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:17 AM   #16
faldoc
"TRF" Member

I have the SubC, one week old now.

Functionally, the GMT-II makes more sense since I travel quite a bit, I don't dive, but I chose the SubC because it's what I've been wanting for decades and it's less expensive than a BLNR. And I hadn't given the GMT any thought. I chose to scratch the oldest itch, I guess.

I like the Glidelock clasp in my SubC, although the GMT has the Easylink, and I prefer the non-polished band.

It's a difficult choice, but I'm very happy with my SubC and maybe the BLNR will be in my future if some money gets freed up.

I also have a 1986 34mm 15038 Date in 18Kt: different watch for different occasions. It's a dressier watch, which I use for weddings and funerals.

Whatever you get, you will want more, that's guaranteed.
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:18 AM   #17
ShneaSIG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Don't settle - buy the watch you want. If you always wanted the Sub, buy the Sub.
ShneaSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:21 AM   #18
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Obviously what you choose has to please you but since you asked, my 2 cents is that given your work environment and lifestyle, the DJ is a fine choice.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:23 AM   #19
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

I'd get the SubC. Glidelock is overrated. I set it once and I didn't ever bother with it as I don't like fiddling and I also wear my watches below the wrist bone. I prefer the brushed bracelet on a plain steel watch.

The GMT2 wears lighter to the point where it feels "cheap", the SubC sits higher and more substantial. BLNR looks like Rolex forgot what to do with the non-blue half. DJ isn't even in the equation.

And don't wear black slacks and black shoes unless you're a waiter. Navy blue, gray with earth tone (aka browns) zapatos much better. Enjoy the hunt! It's almost more fun than actually having the watch.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:31 AM   #20
melvin-f
Banned

Welcome!
melvin-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:36 AM   #21
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I say go with a Sub C. Depending on the type of IT consulting you're doing, it may be beneficial to have the brushed bracelet if reaching around servers and the likes of other equipment etc.

Also, don't discount the LV. It's very unique and gives you the other Sub benefits, like the Glidelock for your varying usages planned. For the little that you would need black tie, I think it shouldn't be too large of an influence. Good luck!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:54 AM   #22
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you're considering a sub C and a GMT then you shouldn't overlook the GMT LN. A far more classic colour combo than the BLNR, which is a nice watch, but some who have bought it, tired of the blue after a while.
However, having read you're original post, then I would suggest you're best choice may well be the DJ2. It's a beautiful watch, now sadly discontinued in favour of the DJ41 which to my eye simply doesn't have the modern aesthetics the DJ2 conveyed.
I have a GMT LN and a DJ2 and admire them both for different reasons.
Another watch you shouldn't overlook in my opinion because it goes well in casual as well as a suit is the black dial explorer 2 42mm. Put one of these on you're wrist and you'll be surprised at how well it wears.
Whatever you chose, enjoy it.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 07:07 AM   #23
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

I wanna be crazy here and say this is what you should do:

Buy the subC date (black). You will not regret it because you're right, it's iconic and extremely versatile...the perfect "one-piece" collection.

Then save for a GMT....maybe by then Rolex will have released a new one, or re-release the coke. If not get a BLNR.

Finally buy a TT DJ when you are around 40ish.

At that point you will have a very well rounded collection but will be needing more so you will buy a Daytona and then when you're 50+ a DD. And yes, it really does go like that once you buy one you begin to think about the next...doesn't take long.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 07:07 AM   #24
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome! Get a SubC.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 07:30 AM   #25
TOlsen
"TRF" Member

Congrats on soon buying your first Rolex! My vote goes for the sub, very classic piece, your first choice, and also more versalite with the brushed bracelet rather than the polished center links. Th polished links will soon catch small hairline scratches which will eventually bother you, and when this being your first Rolex, you won't run into this type of irritation with the brushed bracelet on the subc.
TOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 07:50 AM   #26
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Being safe is a good idea most of the time, but with watches, not necessary. If you are not solidly decided on which watch you prefer, wait until you are sure.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 08:01 AM   #27
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
My vote goes to the BLNR. You can pick one up right now from DavidSW!
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 08:12 AM   #28
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Welcome Kabayan.

My choice would be the SubC.

Good luck!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:12 AM   #29
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Sub is the go anywhere do anything watch. Would be a great first while planning your second. Welcome to the enabling zone.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:24 AM   #30
Jim addy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Welcome.

First Rolex, there is no wrong answer.

But for black tie events, get a true dress watch.
Here is the criteria:
Simple face. No more than 3 hands. And no date.
Always on a strap not a bracelet.
No writing on the bezel.
Thin. Should easily fit under a cuff.
Not too big. As a general rule, no more the 40mm.

Jim
Jim addy is offline   Reply With Quote