The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2017, 11:07 AM   #1
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
The Passion For Rolex

I can't even remember the thread or the post, but someone here mentioned after I posted something that my passion for Rolex was evident.

I thought about that for a while and came to the conclusion that the comment was correct, I did have a passion for Rolex.

A little background. I did not grow up wealthy. I did not even grow up "comfortable". There was a lot of dreaming and wishing, as with pretty much everyone, but we did not have the means for any luxuries. We did not take family vacations or have the nice things that everyone else seemed to have. We discount shopped and pinched pennies at every opportunity.

In adulthood, a lot of these habits continued. I have never made a fortune, but I have a roof over my head, food on my table and a family that is absolutely wonderful. By that measure, I am a great success.

I had always wanted a Rolex. For a watch guy like me, it was the pinnacle of watch ownership. It simply was not better than a Rolex. James Bond wore one. A Rolex has been to every corner of the world and back, with a tale of adventure to tell. A Rolex was precision and durability. A Rolex would last generations.

Fast forward to a month or two ago. I have a few dollars and suddenly a Rolex is within reach. It's not a Submariner or my favorite, the Root Beer GMT, but a TT 15003 from 1983. It has a gorgeous smooth bezel and Jubilee bracelet. The price is incredibly right, the seller is trustworthy and I buy it.

I just bought a Rolex. Immediately after, I start learning more and more about Rolex as a whole. What I thought I knew, was only the surface. I joined the forum fully expecting to be the new guy with the dumb old watch. Instead, I found folks from all walks of life welcoming me to the fold, answering my questions, complimenting my watch, etc...

I have other watches that should be in the rotation. They aren't. Everyday, it's the Rolex. The first little scratch I got on the clasp upset me. After that one, the rest simply added character. I work with my hands a lot. The plexi crystal still looks great, but I am awaiting the "christening" when I get a little scratch on it. I'll be okay, I promise. All of you have been there before.

I am from 1970. My watch is from 1983. I'm sure my grandson will enjoy it when he gets it, years down the road.

Thanks for letting a guy blabber. I'm glad to be a Rolex owner. Someday, I'll have the joy of walking into an AD and buying a new one. The wish list is getting larger by the day.

Until that day, I will enjoy the Rolex currently on my wrist.

august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #2
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
I understand where you are coming from. I waited 30 years to get my first at the age of 50. It was worth the wait. Congrats and wishing you success in the future.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:14 AM   #3
august1410
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT View Post
I understand where you are coming from. I waited 30 years to get my first at the age of 50. It was worth the wait. Congrats and wishing you success in the future.
Thanks! I'm 47 and this is my first.
Old 11 May 2017, 11:16 AM   #4
aes7.5x55
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Congratulations, you've earned it! I'm still waiting on my first and look forward to the feelings you've described. It looks great, by the way.

Last edited by aes7.5x55; 11 May 2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: typo
aes7.5x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Great post Joe. I'd have to agree that your passion for Rolex comes through loud and clear. Hope you have many great memories with that watch.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

Congratulations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:22 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Time makes everything sweeter, enjoy!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:23 AM   #8
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
One of the joys I get every day is glancing at my wrist and seeing a watch that was a personal goal of mine 30 years ago, something that at one low point in my life I thought I would never see.

I don't think there's anything wrong in viewing ones Rolex as a symbol of their success or a personal reward for a career well-done.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:28 AM   #9
slide13
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Great looking DJ too, such a classic model!
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:40 AM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The DJ is a great watch, Looks terrific with the plexi crystal!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:43 AM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This was a very good post. Thanks for your story.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:45 AM   #12
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Icon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
I can't even remember the thread or the post, but someone here mentioned after I posted something that my passion for Rolex was evident.

I thought about that for a while and came to the conclusion that the comment was correct, I did have a passion for Rolex.

A little background. I did not grow up wealthy. I did not even grow up "comfortable". There was a lot of dreaming and wishing, as with pretty much everyone, but we did not have the means for any luxuries. We did not take family vacations or have the nice things that everyone else seemed to have. We discount shopped and pinched pennies at every opportunity.

In adulthood, a lot of these habits continued. I have never made a fortune, but I have a roof over my head, food on my table and a family that is absolutely wonderful. By that measure, I am a great success.

I had always wanted a Rolex. For a watch guy like me, it was the pinnacle of watch ownership. It simply was not better than a Rolex. James Bond wore one. A Rolex has been to every corner of the world and back, with a tale of adventure to tell. A Rolex was precision and durability. A Rolex would last generations.

Fast forward to a month or two ago. I have a few dollars and suddenly a Rolex is within reach. It's not a Submariner or my favorite, the Root Beer GMT, but a TT 15003 from 1983. It has a gorgeous smooth bezel and Jubilee bracelet. The price is incredibly right, the seller is trustworthy and I buy it.

I just bought a Rolex. Immediately after, I start learning more and more about Rolex as a whole. What I thought I knew, was only the surface. I joined the forum fully expecting to be the new guy with the dumb old watch. Instead, I found folks from all walks of life welcoming me to the fold, answering my questions, complimenting my watch, etc...

I have other watches that should be in the rotation. They aren't. Everyday, it's the Rolex. The first little scratch I got on the clasp upset me. After that one, the rest simply added character. I work with my hands a lot. The plexi crystal still looks great, but I am awaiting the "christening" when I get a little scratch on it. I'll be okay, I promise. All of you have been there before.

I am from 1970. My watch is from 1983. I'm sure my grandson will enjoy it when he gets it, years down the road.

Thanks for letting a guy blabber. I'm glad to be a Rolex owner. Someday, I'll have the joy of walking into an AD and buying a new one. The wish list is getting larger by the day.

Until that day, I will enjoy the Rolex currently on my wrist.

Thanks for the story !

Bought my first at 54, came to NC at the age of 21, broke, and lived in the back of a '66 Impala for a couple of months. Earned everything the hard way, so I can relate. I'm constantly amazed at how some consider their pieces as toys or some "cool factor" item instead of truly appreciating them.
DLRIDES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:51 AM   #13
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Grew up in "genteel poverty". Worked my butt off to get my first one (used) and have been a Rolex nut since 1970. Great watch and I can attest they will take a serious beating and come out the other side just fine.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:53 AM   #14
august1410
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
Grew up in "genteel poverty". Worked my butt off to get my first one (used) and have been a Rolex nut since 1970. Great watch and I can attest they will take a serious beating and come out the other side just fine.
Getting mine very wet was a hurdle. I figured I just had to do it. It was made for it and I was being a wuss not doing it.

I figured it would either adhere to Rolex standards or be a very expensive mistake.

I'm a fool. The Rolex was a Rolex and did what Rolexes do naturally underwater. Tell the time.

Old 11 May 2017, 12:08 PM   #15
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
TT 15003 from 1983.crystal still looks great. I am from 1970.Thanks for letting a guy blabber.I'm glad to be a Rolex owner
I actually kindda enjoyed the blabbering as much as I love looking at your watch !I'll tell you something else about your TT 15003 you forgot to mention vintage man.Your acrylic crystal cyclops has the least distortion at any angle when compared to say....a cyclops of the modern era Rolex,the date magnifier is not only better but far more effective. To a non WIS,casual observer, the appearance of the cyclops is as if it was built intra-crystally.You also said the crystal looks great! I'll tell the TRF members why you actually said that.

If any of you have seen the domed shaped plexi acrylic crystal glass of the great Glycine Airman Special from 1953(That's also the Yr the Sub was born),you would appreciate the faultless date magnifier seen from any angle!The OP's TT15003 is just like that! It's a special Rolex...
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:24 PM   #16
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the post. Through all the incoming, accuracy and other typical & redundant posts (I've been guilty of a few my self), there comes posts like yours which renew my interest in the forum.

Thanks for the read... Enjoy the watch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:44 PM   #17
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for sharing your story, these posts are what keep bringing people back again and again to this forum.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:57 PM   #18
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Great post Joe! Congrats to you on achieving your first Rolex goal. Enjoy your new acquisition to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 May 2017, 01:29 PM   #19
Nikita70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760
I'm the same age as you, 47. Bought my first late last year. What a great piece. So fun to wear, looks and feels awesome on my wrist. In a way it's good they are expensive, you tend to appreciate them much more. I have a GMT. I'd like a Submariner, Milgauss, Datejust, etc. Enjoyed your story.
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:46 PM   #20
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Excellent story, Joe!

I was 59 when I bought my first.

I had been interested in getting a Sub in the early Seventies after I saw my first one.

A few years later, quartz watches became dirt cheap and I thought I'd never own an analog watch again, let alone a mechanical one.

Then I slowly got into analog quartz, which led to mechanicals, which led to Rolex.

I don't think that Rolex watches are the pinnacle of watchmaking, but they do make superb watches that I admire greatly, not to mention their history of innovation and service to the world community.

I, too, come from a very humble background and still live a generally frugal life, so I really do appreciate value, as well as various social and political causes that I support to the extent that my finances will allow.

I'm very fortunate that my situation allows for some extravagance in a are that pleases me so much.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 02:05 PM   #21
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
I really enjoyed your post. You are correct that a Rolex is so much more than a watch and provide an ownership experience no other brand can deliver. I love your 83' datejust!
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 02:58 PM   #22
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
The beauty of a Rolex is the quality of a new one is no different than yours!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:04 PM   #23
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Great post! Congrats on a great watch!
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:25 PM   #24
jok
"TRF" Member

I enjoyed your post. Congratulations on a beautiful watch.
jok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:34 PM   #25
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

OP, I'm happy for you and congrats on all of the hard work paying off. Stay classy with the beautiful choice you've made and hang out. Lot of cool folks here with varying opinions but all share that common passion you have for Rolex. Enjoy in good health.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:57 PM   #26
agfebres
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aquanaut 5167/1a
Great Story, Great Watch...Welcome to The Club
Old 11 May 2017, 04:02 PM   #27
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Wonderful story and classy watch
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 05:07 PM   #28
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Great post, congrats.. first Rolex is always special!!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:07 PM   #29
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:13 PM   #30
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Congratulations. I hope you really enjoy your well-earned Rolex.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote