The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2017, 10:37 AM   #31
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0279a View Post
Love it
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 10:41 AM   #32
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Absolutely! Personally, I'd wear it for the 18 years to be sure it wasn't defective
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 11:19 AM   #33
mroberts
"TRF" Member

Personally I'd much rather be given a watch that I grew up seeing on my dads wrist than something that looked like it was just taken out of a display case at a dealer.
mroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 11:30 AM   #34
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberts View Post
Personally I'd much rather be given a watch that I grew up seeing on my dads wrist than something that looked like it was just taken out of a display case at a dealer.
I'd take the 18yo NOS scenario. For some reason i think that's cooler to reveive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 12:45 PM   #35
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't fully get the idea of a birth year watch. But why would an 18 year old kid, if he could even appreciate a Rolex, want an 18 year old watch vs. a new one? Seems like a waste to buy a watch, store it for 18 years, get it serviced, and then hand it to someone. It's not like he'll think of it as giving him YOUR watch. It's just a never used old watch.

Seems like it would have all of the sentimental value to the kid of a brand new watch with none of the impracticality of it. Just my opinion.
Old 12 May 2017, 01:56 PM   #36
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberts View Post
This. Absolutely incredible and tears of joy for both !

Although I might wait until he was 22 to hand it over. Imagine if he bought it the day he was born and had a picture of him with the watch holding the 4 hour little Guy.

All the paper work in the little ones name. How cool would that be. I should've had a son too might be one out there some where ?
Old 12 May 2017, 03:43 PM   #37
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

A lovely gesture from your brother, but as already mentioned he should buy the Rolex, wear it and then when the time is right pass it down to his grandson. The grandson will appreciate it more, growing up and seeing the watch on his grandfather.

My grandfather passed away last week, and my father handed me my grandfather's watch which he wore for many years. He didn't wear it in his later years but I remember growing up and seeing him wear it. It's nothing special (a quartz Tissot) but its special to me, I will never get rid of it.
Dirty Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 04:16 PM   #38
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I think it is a very cool idea. He can worry about the way it was stored in 18 years.
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 08:49 PM   #39
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
This has me wondering if in 18 yrs people will still wear a watch...probably so as jewellery.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 10:44 PM   #40
bjw
"TRF" Member

Can one store a Rolex for 18 years

While I appreciate the sentiment, I personally think it's a bit premature.
In 18years that watch will be worth a small fortune, especially with all original paperwork. How do you even known he will be mature enough to own a watch of that value; much less appreciate it. An appreciation of something is acquired over time, much longer than 18years. And that's not even taking into consideration what the smart watch technology will be by then. He may not even want an "old fashion" watch.

I don't know, but chances are if you were given a time piece from your grandfather he had 18 years before you were born what would you think as an 18 yr old
Tudor 79220N
Tudor 79260P Panda

"Opinions are like wrist watches, everyone's shows different time from the other. But all believe that theirs is accurate. "
bjw is offline   Reply With Quote