The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 21 June 2017, 01:08 AM   #1
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Which MB pen to choose ? Looking for simple and dependable as Rolex Sub

Hi everybody,

I am looking for MB pen which I could use Everyday. Office, home , travel ...

I am new into writing instruments world and want to start this journey in right way by choosing simple, elegant and dependable pen.

Speaking to some colleagueas at work I was adviced to look at Starwalker ballpoint. Is it right idea?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Will
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Starwalker ballpoint looks very modern. I usually get ballpoints because it eliminates the risk of getting ink all over your shirt, it doesn't matter how careful you are, if you get a fineliner or a rollerball... accidents happen.

So, a ballpoint it is.

Then... Starwalker or Meisterstuck. I have both. Starwalker is modern and stylish. Meisterstuck is a classic and elegant.

I am 37 and bought my first MB about 10 years ago, it was a Starwalker. I got a few Starwalkers. My father gave me a Meisterstuck before that but I didn't use it because it was yellow gold, now it looks vintage but sits in my drawer. A few years ago (as I got older) I wanted something more classic and got a Meisterstuck Le Grand. My newest is a Montblanc M.

Have fun!
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:22 AM   #3
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Try out a few and see which you prefer. My own personal preference is any of the Meisterstuck range.

If you want a ball point pen then I suggest the Legrand however if you're going ballpoint then you might as well go for a bic. However for best Mont Blanc experience go with a fountain pen. You really can't beat it. Again, any Meisterstuck would be my preference.

Please share pics of what you end up going for.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:56 AM   #4
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
I'm very happy with my M, would go for Rollerball since they're more versatile for traveling and running around than fountain pens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 08:18 PM   #5
milov
"TRF" Member

My feeling is that a Meisterstuck is on par with a Submariner in the 'being iconic department'

My english handwriting is not pretty enough for a fountain pen... so I use a ballpoint.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 10:03 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Meisterstuck in a Rollerball. I think you will less difficulty when you go look at the pens in person. I would go with black with silver. Perfect match for the Sub.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:17 PM   #7
bradbyrd1110
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126233
I use a Meisterstück platinum ballpoint everyday while wearing my Sub. Of course anything in the Meisterstück platinum series will work.
Old 22 June 2017, 12:50 AM   #8
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Thank you ver much for all replies and advices.

I will try to go to MB boutique over weekend and share my expierence with you.

Cheers,

Will
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:51 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I would go for a MB 144 with a fine nib to start out. It is a classic Montblanc that speaks to anyone who knows them much like a Rolex does on your wrist. It is iconic!

This is a cartridge / converter pen and there is very little risk of any leakage. And they are simple to maintain. Plus you will love the effortless writing that a fountain pen brings to the table. Lots of different colors of ink to choose from also.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:40 AM   #10
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Hi, to all…..as I have been MIA for few months!!!

I agree with Bisquitlips, look at the MontBlanc(MB) Fountain pens which can use a Converter. Fountain pens are a dream to write with and of course it's easy enough to change to another color when using a converter. You basically put the Nib to the paper and without applying pressure they just write and glide across the surface of the paper …..

The Rollerballs are very nice as well but the problem with the "Ink Refills" is they have a tendency to dry up before you can use all the ink in them…..

Definitely check out all the styles of pens at a Montblanc Boutique or another Pen Shop before making a choice. But with all the Nib styles for use with Fountain pens…you can surely find one that meets with your approval…..

Ballpoint pens are nice but then why buy a branded pen that uses Ballpoint refills…..sure they are nice and dependable but for a lower cost pen I carry a Pilot G-2 which uses Gel and comes in many widths(.38 to 1.0)…….

Take your time in choosing a pen and please don't be impulsive(as it's easy to do)…..remember this is going to be your daily writer!!!

Take care…..Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Hey Will,

I have six Starwalkers (three ballpoints, one fine-liner, one pencil and one fountain) and I love them. They have a nice balance to them, possibly because of the bulbed end, and feel good in the hand. The bulbed end also gives them a slightly more unique appearance than straight 'up and down' pens.

Head to one of the MB boutiques here and try a few out. I prefer the staff in Raffles City and Ngee An City but the one at Marina Bay probably has the largest selection

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote