The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2017, 11:13 AM   #1
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Dj 41 s/s

If one was to purchase a DJ 41 in S/S, is the bezel changeable down the road if I decided to replace the smooth S/S with a fluted WG?

And if so, does that mess with the authenticity of the piece?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 11:31 AM   #2
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I've seen lots of folks who changed the bezel from fluted to smooth, and vice versa. Apparently it's common. Technically, once you do it the watch is not original. However, since each style bezel is made by Rolex, and the watch is available with either option, the only way to tell would be to look at the original receipt for the details on how the watch was bough. You'd be replacing one original part with other original part - just not the original part for that individual watch. IMHO, it doesn't matter. And if you retain the original bezel and offer it as part of a sale, even the biggest stickler for detail wouldn't have any complaints.
Old 4 July 2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I've seen lots of folks who changed the bezel from fluted to smooth, and vice versa. Apparently it's common. Technically, once you do it the watch is not original. However, since each style bezel is made by Rolex, and the watch is available with either option, the only way to tell would be to look at the original receipt for the details on how the watch was bough. You'd be replacing one original part with other original part - just not the original part for that individual watch. IMHO, it doesn't matter. And if you retain the original bezel and offer it as part of a sale, even the biggest stickler for detail wouldn't have any complaints.

Well, technically changing the bezel will not jive with the model number on the warranty card so that's how you can tell. That said, I've swapped mine on my DJII from smooth to fluted. Kept it and will prob go back to smooth again soon. I like having the option to change up the look.

Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Hucksimp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710, 116234
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
How does the bezel come off?
Hucksimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 11:46 AM   #5
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksimp View Post
How does the bezel come off?

Yes. Wondering as well.

And any idea how much the fluted 41 bezel would be?

Old 4 July 2017, 12:40 PM   #6
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I don't know about the DJ's, but on my GMT2 it pries off easily from the bottom right lug. I used a plastic pry bar from a computer repair kit, but I've heard folks say a stiff credit card or ID card will work and won't mar the lug from prying. Still others have inserted a thin pocket knife blade, placing a folded microfiber cloth between the blade and watch case for protection. Unfortunately, with the DJ models I've only heard of folks taking them to watchmakers to get the bezel switched. It's a 5-minute job but one best left to professionals on the DJ.
Old 4 July 2017, 09:13 PM   #7
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Not a DIY job. You can find fluted on eBay for about $400. People remove them from models like the Day Date to put on diamond bezels and they are the same 41mm.

Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 10:47 PM   #8
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
Not a DIY job. You can find fluted on eBay for about $400. People remove them from models like the Day Date to put on diamond bezels and they are the same 41mm.

Old 5 July 2017, 12:28 AM   #9
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
If you do the swap, make sure it's a genuine bezel. Unless, you put a diamond bezel, but that's a whole different issue. Also keep the original bezel. Having both bezels can be advantageous when time to sell. I personally don't think it'll mess with the authenticity as long you use a genuine factory bezel.
Old 5 July 2017, 11:11 AM   #10
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Oh for sure. Factory bezel all the way.

Thanks for the opinions. Not buying today but thinking about a DJ 41 down the road.