The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2017, 11:18 PM   #61
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Many haters will do a 180 once they own one.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 11:22 PM   #62
Cobain
"TRF" Member

They don't like things you like, who cares?
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 11:37 PM   #63
TimelessQuality
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Their hatred is most probably based on their image of the brand, not on the actual quality of the product. I don't care about their insecurities.
Agreed!
TimelessQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 11:44 PM   #64
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

I agree with some of the comments that the negative perception (I would avoid the word hate, it's just a "thing") might be more due to the stereotype of the person wearing the watch, than the watch itself 99% of the time.

The other 1% might be for enthusiasts who just might simply prefer AP/Patek/etc to Rolex for their own reasons which is entirely fair (and I don't know if I would call them Rolex "haters").

I liked the BMW comparison, I think most (for better or worse) don't like BMWs, not because of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" itself but because of the persona of the driver, whereas for me personally I'm not the biggest fan because I just prefer Porsches if I have the luxury of choice as a car enthusiast!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 12:03 AM   #65
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
Hmmmmmm I disagree. I, along with others, know plenty about watches. I like PP, but find them too plain/fragile for my lifestyle. I'm not fond of AP and the looks. Rolex just ticks all the boxes for ME design looks and robustness
I want to make clear that I didn't mean that Rolex isn't for WIS types. They absolutely are. Just look at some of the people on this forum.

The point I was trying to make is that when you're the most popular and well known brand for anything, you attract every random person that has the money to buy one.

That's why we see so many non WIS types wearing a Rolex. They don't care about watches, they don't care about the model or the movement. They just know the name and that it's expensive.

A random person that doesn't know anything about watches and has 10k to spend, is not going out and buying a JLC, or GO, or pretty much any other brand. They go out and buy a Rolex and that's that.

Then non Rolex WIS types look down on that kind of owner and that's where a lot of the hate comes from.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 12:08 AM   #66
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
As a few have said: it ain't about the watches themselves. It's about (some of) the owners. There's a fair share of Rolex owners that are pretentious, shallow, insecure, show-offs, d-bags, etc.

The same could be said about owners of any number of luxury brands. It's simply comes with the territory.

Regardless of the amazing history of the brand, the obsessive pursuit of perfection, and the timeless styling, the brand has an aura around it that will probably never fully dissipate. As long as people use conspicuous displays of wealth to make themselves feel better (and thus belittle others), it will exist.

I say all this as a huge fan of the brand and multiple Rolex owner.
Old 29 July 2017, 12:52 AM   #67
gabegd
"TRF" Member

Watch: es that don't TIC
Rolex haters are probably insecure about the brand itself. Jealous of the popularity of the product not the actual product itself.
gabegd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 12:55 AM   #68
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4295.JPG (72.7 KB, 255 views)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 01:20 AM   #69
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

First, please don't say "haters". That's a simple word for very simple people. (Sorry pet peeve of mine).

Second, I was someone who hated Rolex. For me it was a Love/Hate. Rolex is the Porsche of the watch world. That is, they're well built, they are the best all around watch/car in the world, but they are EVERYWHERE. I realize "best" is subjective, but for the sake of this discussion I simply mean if you consider all reasonable criteria (reliability, fit and finish, style, desirability, image, etc.).

I see more Porsche 911s (even Turbo and Turbo S) than I can shake a stick at anywhere in Houston or other major cities. They are a dime a dozen. I see tonnes of Submariners and Datejusts on daily basis. For that reason I've always hated both brands, but at the same time respected them. My personality is to go against the grain, and I hate it when something I've been doing becomes popular.

With that said, as I've gotten older I've started to appreciate Rolex more in their other models. The BLNR is what got me looking at GMTs. I like the Polished bits and pieces because they instantly communicated that it isn't another submariner. I still love my Breitlings but purchasing and owning a Rolex has been great. I'm over the hump with the brand. In the end I went with a standard GMT Master II simply because I wanted more versatility and the blue/black stood out too much for me.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 02:53 AM   #70
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:05 AM   #71
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
Over the years I didn't realize how many Rolex haters were out there until I watched some YouTube videos and read internet threads/articles. Several so called "watch enthusiasts" claim to love their preferred watch brands but hate Rolex or do not like Rolex's for multiple reasons such as price, ubiquity, snobbery, etc.

If you don't care for a brand, that's one thing, but hate Rolex?
Why so many Rolex haters?
Ubiquity & Notoriety come with a price. Rolex is a marketing machine, they have advertisements all over the place. People that are poor and rich know what a Rolex is. This is the catch 22 of owning a Rolex, people either love or hate the brand. Personally I see Rolex as a gateway brand into haute horology. Not saying its bad, I still own a few, but I think a few bad apples that own a Rolex have poisoned the brand.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:27 AM   #72
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWT View Post
I just think about the service costs of their precious AP's which imo are hideous watches. Most watch characters that dump on Rolex collect AP.
Not true I (and many others) love both brands for what they are. APSC isn't much more than rolex service for similar 3 hand or chrono watches.

People hate on Rolex because they are the most recognized watch brand. They are purchased by people that no nothing about watches but want them as status symbols and also by true WIS that appreciate the history and innovation that Rolex has brought to horology. The only downside I see with Rolex is their popularity. They are everywhere but for good reason.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:32 AM   #73
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Over the years I didn't realize how many Rolex haters were out there until I watched some YouTube videos and read internet threads/articles. Several so called "watch enthusiasts" claim to love their preferred watch brands but hate Rolex or do not like Rolex's for multiple reasons such as price, ubiquity, snobbery, etc.

Because they're that don't know enough about the brand, history, and products.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:44 AM   #74
bio guyver
"TRF" Member

Simply because rolex is no 1 in the watch industry so when you are no 1 there will be always haters and jealously.
bio guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:46 AM   #75
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
That's almost a 100% guarantee
Old 29 July 2017, 03:55 AM   #76
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
My personality is to go against the grain, and I hate it when something I've been doing becomes popular.
Quote:
In the end I went with a standard GMT Master II simply because I wanted more versatility and the blue/black stood out too much for me.
If you hate that everyone's wearing the same thing, why didn't you go with the more unique looking piece (the BLNR)? I've never even see another BLNR in the NH/Mass. area, but I've seen a handful of LN's.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 04:01 AM   #77
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First, please don't say "haters". That's a simple word for very simple people. (Sorry pet peeve of mine).

Second, I was someone who hated Rolex. For me it was a Love/Hate. Rolex is the Porsche of the watch world. That is, they're well built, they are the best all around watch/car in the world, but they are EVERYWHERE. I realize "best" is subjective, but for the sake of this discussion I simply mean if you consider all reasonable criteria (reliability, fit and finish, style, desirability, image, etc.).

I see more Porsche 911s (even Turbo and Turbo S) than I can shake a stick at anywhere in Houston or other major cities. They are a dime a dozen. I see tonnes of Submariners and Datejusts on daily basis. For that reason I've always hated both brands, but at the same time respected them. My personality is to go against the grain, and I hate it when something I've been doing becomes popular.

With that said, as I've gotten older I've started to appreciate Rolex more in their other models. The BLNR is what got me looking at GMTs. I like the Polished bits and pieces because they instantly communicated that it isn't another submariner. I still love my Breitlings but purchasing and owning a Rolex has been great. I'm over the hump with the brand. In the end I went with a standard GMT Master II simply because I wanted more versatility and the blue/black stood out too much for me.
I see way way way more Porsches in the NE US than Rolex myself. But I once heard that TX is the only place other than Hong Kong where everyone and everyone they know wears Rolex. Regardless of where I travel in the US, however, the Submariners I see are 5 digit, not 6 digit Subs. A lot more people picked up 5 digit Subs over the years when prices were much lower I'd guess
Old 29 July 2017, 04:12 AM   #78
Magwitch
Banned

You can wear a Rolex and use it fully in the manner for which it was intended without endangering yourself or public safety. Can't say that about some "sports cars." That's why I dislike them so much, and the owners who drive irresponsibly and think it's fun. I will never compromise that opinion.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 04:51 AM   #79
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
If you have haters, you're doing something right.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 06:02 AM   #80
Melchizedek
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's easy to hide on the internet... not physically hide, but it's like "telephone tough guy". NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has been rude to me face to face about my watch.

The problem is nowadays people have lost that face to face confrontation and just let loose behind the keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 06:16 AM   #81
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Rolex haters and the watch community

Rolex Haters.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 06:31 AM   #82
Redbox
"TRF" Member

You need to not worry about what other people think. Just do a good job and enjoy life.

The old adage applies. Opinions are like a..holes, everyone has one and they all stink.
Redbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 08:34 AM   #83
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
This Rolex hatred that you speak of is oftentimes more focused/directed towards the person wearing a Rolex and not the watch itself. Because a Rolex timepiece is an easily recognizable high-end commodity, it will often bear the brunt for a wearer who happens to be arrogant and/or demeaning towards others.

The same can be said of the BMWs. There's nothing wrong with the car itself. It's the rude and incompetent drivers that often give BMWs a bad name.

For example, if you encountered an incredibly obnoxious woman wearing Prada/Hermes/Christian Louboutin etc. would you blame the designer labels or direct your contempt towards the person wearing them?

Unfortunately, a few rotten apples can give Rolex owners/wearers an undeserved 'bad rep'.

So if you're gonna wear a Rolex, try to be considerate towards others and don't condescend.
When your out there wearing your Rolex .......REPRESENT!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 08:38 AM   #84
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Don't worry about what others think...haters will hate; you just proudly wear that Rolex.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 08:58 AM   #85
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Give a Rolex as a gift to a hater and watch their eyes light up!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 09:34 AM   #86
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Rolex attracts a disproportionate amount of morons (many of whom will even sign up to this forum, then get banned after their absurd rants against every other watch manufacture and their customers) despite being a giant in the watch world for good reason.

One positive development is that the multimillion-dollar knockoff machine that is Hublot has drawn away a lot of those types who used to buy Rolex, so hopefully that will help.
Scholar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 10:23 AM   #87
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Rolex makes beautiful, well engineered, carefully considered, durable time pieces with enduring designs. It feels great on the wrist and glows with quality. You know Rolex is careful with it's iconic designs so you won't likely get bored with it and will retain value. That said, not everyone is going to get it and so what. I don't flash my watches and wear them in a humble manner. Other folks might think $150k for a loaded pick-up truck and so forth might be their thing, so to each their own. Go forth, wear and enjoy your wonderful Rolex (or others of your choice) and be happy. You earned it! Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 10:50 AM   #88
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Who gives a damn, hateful twits don't matter!!
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 10:54 AM   #89
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Very true, this goes for the Nautilus and RO which also suffer from similar insecurities.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 11:25 AM   #90
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Very true, this goes for the Nautilus and RO which also suffer from similar insecurities.
Amen!
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote