The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2017, 11:47 AM   #1
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Rolex prices: Rome,Brussels or the UK?

Hi all,

I'll be heading down to Rome and Brussels next week, and would like to get
either a BLNR (116710) or a Hulk (LNIB Submariner 116610LV). Would really appreciate any advice from the members here in regards to:-

1. The prices: Would it be cheaper in Rome, Brussels or the UK?
2. The discounts: What percentage could i expected (e.g between 10%-20%?)
3. The location: Any AD's to recommend?
4. Tax: Which location has the most VAT returns?

Thanks in advance for the help =)

Regards!

Last edited by dakki2040; 10 August 2017 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: include information
dakki2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
1. cheaper as what ?
2. 10% - 20% , no way for these models
3. I can only speak for Florence in italy and Germany
4. no Info

You have waiting lists for Hulk and Batman all over europe. If you have really great luck that an AD have one of these models in stock, they will give no discount for sure.
Old 10 August 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

prices and included VAT rates are here https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=542294

As for the UK, they are the cheapest, but no chance on finding those watches period and if you did zero discount. As for the other countries I don't know.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 03:57 PM   #4
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Hi Amex4711 and tyler1980,

Thanks for the advice. Had no idea that both the models are highly sought after in Europe.

I'll post a update if i ever manage to find them =)

Regards!
Old 10 August 2017, 03:59 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakki2040 View Post
Hi Amex4711 and tyler1980,

Thanks for the advice. Had no idea that both the models are highly sought after in Europe.

I'll post a update if i ever manage to find them =)

Regards!
do the calculations from GBP with the VAT subtracted and convert to your local currency and then compare to your local prices. The price difference alone explains the excess demand on what are already popular models to begin with.
Old 10 August 2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

in some countries in europe the AD's sell Hulk and Batman only to local people, not to tourists
Old 10 August 2017, 04:25 PM   #7
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
in some countries in europe the AD's sell Hulk and Batman only to local people, not to tourists
Oh man, never mind the discount, seems like it's pretty impossible for me to buy one now =(.
Old 10 August 2017, 04:53 PM   #8
grimps
"TRF" Member

I was just in Amsterdam airport today and the prices here was around 6% cheaper than the UK price , I'm not sure how this is because everyone keeps saying that the UK is the cheapest place these days
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 05:29 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I was just in Amsterdam airport today and the prices here was around 6% cheaper than the UK price , I'm not sure how this is because everyone keeps saying that the UK is the cheapest place these days
it is (in USD terms) and there is a thread about it. One member did all the calculations of every country price into USD.

AMS airport price is without tax (or discounted to the equivalent tax free price depending on where you are flying) so subtract around 20% from the UK price to do an apples to apples comparison

without taxes a BLNR is $7651 in the Netherlands, $6800 in the UK, and $8950 in the US.

If you are based in pounds it isn't true because the value of the pound has tanked but for everyone else, rolex is on sale in the UK
Old 10 August 2017, 05:42 PM   #10
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
No BLNR nor Hulk in Brussels, and certainly no discounts on these.
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 05:48 PM   #11
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave023 View Post
No BLNR nor Hulk in Brussels, and certainly no discounts on these.
Thanks for the Info Dave!
Old 10 August 2017, 06:53 PM   #12
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

You are looking at +£1,000 over MSRP if you want a Hulk or BLNR from the UK, and that will be second hand too
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 07:53 PM   #13
Leodagan
"TRF" Member

No chance to get some discount in Brussels... :-(
Leodagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:13 PM   #14
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'm a British ex-pat living in Singapore. Assuming the watch you want is available (ha ha), then use a SG credit card in the UK and you'll make a decent saving. The GBP is about 1.78 to SGD at the moment.

The cheapest place to buy will be at the airport, without a shadow of a doubt, but the stock there (as with 99.9% of the UK) is rubbish. Whatever comes in is sold very quickly. If you buy on the UK high street, take your passport and get the necessary receipt and paperwork for your VAT refund on leaving the UK. You'll receive about 13.8% refund; the seller charges an admin fee of around 3%. At the airport, you'll pay the duty free price which is about 16.8% off MSRP.*

If you buy goods in the high street and want to claim a refund then allow an extra 45 minutes at the airport when leaving the UK. The queues for refunds can be horrific at certain times. I've claimed my tax back many times, including on a couple of Rolex purchases. Don't take the option to have it paid back to your credit card; I've had a couple of payments go astray. Take the cash.

High end purchases over a certain amount, I forget how much but certainly for a Rolex, will need to done air side and the HM Customs will want to see the purchases. They will not accept receipts for items in your hold luggage, they don't care if it's too big to carry as hand luggage. No see, no refund.

Oh, and DO NOTchange your GBP back to SGD at any UK airport because you will be fleeced. Change it when you get back home.

*VAT is 20% in the UK. The VAT is added to the base price but when calculating the refund, you have to apply the maths backwards and this equates to about 16.8%.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 09:05 PM   #15
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

I'm in Lisbon on holidays at the moment. Walked into an AD and was offered a BLNR, although they did not put it on display. Too bad I already have one and it's also more expensive compared to UK even at RRP.
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 09:13 PM   #16
coolaking
"TRF" Member

If only you could get 20% discount on BLNR, VAT refund of 17% and cheapest price in the world (UK) - it would be at least 40% cheaper than anywhere else - the UK would need all the stock in the world and still be sold out....
coolaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 11:42 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think your best chance is Italy, I would call all ADs near and in Rome, one may have one and you can send funds/deposit now to secure it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 11:11 AM   #18
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advise guys! Would have been really foolish of me to think that i can just walk in a shop to actually buy one, and to even expect a discount.

With that said, are there any recommended ADs in Rome or Florence?
Old 11 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #19
Rolex_Ry
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Patek, Rolex
I just came back from Rome and Florence this week. Only SS models were Explorer II, Explorer I, Milgaus, datejust, sub C, and sub no date. No batman or hulk. The AD in Capri told me they had a SD43, but sold it a few weeks back. Good luck!
Rolex_Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 12:21 PM   #20
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_Ry View Post
I just came back from Rome and Florence this week. Only SS models were Explorer II, Explorer I, Milgaus, datejust, sub C, and sub no date. No batman or hulk. The AD in Capri told me they had a SD43, but sold it a few weeks back. Good luck!
Awesome. Thanks for the update RY!
Old 11 August 2017, 12:24 PM   #21
motlking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_Ry View Post
Nice to know they have SubC... wonder if they discount

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
motlking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 04:40 PM   #22
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

go to the Rolex Boutique in Florence at Ponte Vecchio Bridge
https://g.co/kgs/CKBniU and ask for Andrea (he is a man and very helpful !) greetings from Thomas from Germany a TRF Member. Andrea has always models you don't see in the window from the Shop.
The small Rolex Boutique is always full of tourists, so you must ask for Andrea !!!
I send several TRF members to him

Quote:
Thanks for all the advise guys! Would have been really foolish of me to think that i can just walk in a shop to actually buy one, and to even expect a discount.

With that said, are there any recommended ADs in Rome or Florence?
Old 11 August 2017, 05:01 PM   #23
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
go to the Rolex Boutique in Florence at Ponte Vecchio Bridge
https://g.co/kgs/CKBniU and ask for Andrea (he is a man and very helpful !) greetings from Thomas from Germany a TRF Member. Andrea has always models you don't see in the window from the Shop.
The small Rolex Boutique is always full of tourists, so you must ask for Andrea !!!
I send several TRF members to him
Great! Thanks so much for the help Amex4711! Hoping to be able to post some good news when i return from my trip.
Old 11 August 2017, 05:04 PM   #24
dakki2040
"TRF" Member

Last edited by dakki2040; 11 August 2017 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: repeated post
Old 11 August 2017, 06:21 PM   #25
mjg002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I'm a British ex-pat living in Singapore. Assuming the watch you want is available (ha ha), then use a SG credit card in the UK and you'll make a decent saving. The GBP is about 1.78 to SGD at the moment.

The cheapest place to buy will be at the airport, without a shadow of a doubt, but the stock there (as with 99.9% of the UK) is rubbish. Whatever comes in is sold very quickly. If you buy on the UK high street, take your passport and get the necessary receipt and paperwork for your VAT refund on leaving the UK. You'll receive about 13.8% refund; the seller charges an admin fee of around 3%. At the airport, you'll pay the duty free price which is about 16.8% off MSRP.*

If you buy goods in the high street and want to claim a refund then allow an extra 45 minutes at the airport when leaving the UK. The queues for refunds can be horrific at certain times. I've claimed my tax back many times, including on a couple of Rolex purchases. Don't take the option to have it paid back to your credit card; I've had a couple of payments go astray. Take the cash.

High end purchases over a certain amount, I forget how much but certainly for a Rolex, will need to done air side and the HM Customs will want to see the purchases. They will not accept receipts for items in your hold luggage, they don't care if it's too big to carry as hand luggage. No see, no refund.

Oh, and DO NOTchange your GBP back to SGD at any UK airport because you will be fleeced. Change it when you get back home.

*VAT is 20% in the UK. The VAT is added to the base price but when calculating the refund, you have to apply the maths backwards and this equates to about 16.8%.
All true, but try and find an AD in the UK who uses the HMRC's own VAT refund form (Form 407) instead of a middle man such as Premier Tax Free or Global Blue - then you get the full 16.8pct back directly to your credit or debit card and also get it much, much quicker as it comes directly from the AD from whom you purchased the watch - instead of months later (if at all....) from the middle man! It's a superb system and ADs who use it should be highly commended. Finally got my Daytona last week, left the UK next day and had my VAT refund back in full the same week!
mjg002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 09:52 PM   #26
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great! Thanks so much for the help Amex4711! Hoping to be able to post some good news when i return from my trip.
GOOD LUCK