The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 January 2024, 10:32 AM   #1
csk80
"TRF" Member

gregdolley scammed me

I purchased a Black Bay 54 currently listed on the forum. I sent funds and received a bogus tracking number and since gregdolley has been non-responsive. I will have to battle to get funds back if even possible. There are 2 more listings. All buyers beware! I was scammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
csk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:51 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Looks like the account was hacked from an IP in Portugal. Listings now removed and account banned. Did he give any references? I see that before this month that account hadn't posted anything since 2019.
Old 19 January 2024, 11:11 AM   #3
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Wow I am sorry to hear this, I hope you can recover the funds.

@Old Expat Beast how can this be avoided in the future?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 11:23 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Wow I am sorry to hear this, I hope you can recover the funds.

@Old Expat Beast how can this be avoided in the future?
By buyers doing their due diligence, not buying from accounts with sketchy histories, asking for multiple references from established members, and reading this warning at the top of the classified sections: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=912330

We find and ban hacked/phished accounts weekly, if not daily, but there's only so much we can do. There isn't a sales platform on the Internet that doesn't attract scammers.
Old 19 January 2024, 11:35 AM   #5
csk80
"TRF" Member

Agree. This could have been avoided with more diligence. I misjudged based on number of posts and a quick scan of history. Lessons learned and hope to recoup the funds. But am realistic this will be difficult.

csk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 11:44 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast

Here's a thread from earlier this month that might be worth reading: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=931385
Old 19 January 2024, 11:55 AM   #7
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Adam is right. And As I repeatedly and consistently say:

It takes two to scam: a scammer, and somebody who just isn’t all that careful with their money. For those who’ll read this sad string, The time for help is before the purchase, and doing due diligence, seeing who the person is, checking the who’s who section, etc. I just checked that section and don’t see reference to this seller or acct name selling anything. I’m sorry, I just don’t get buying from an account with this name.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 08:27 PM   #8
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I reported this seller to the mods - Jan 15th - after he posted his gold bracelet for less than the weight in gold.

The BlackBay was also a price too good to be true.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 12:28 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think it is also a red flag where an account has been dormant for years and then only appears with listings for sale. It is wise to find members who have had recent contact with or know the seller in such cases.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 12:35 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Good luck with your efforts to be made whole.

Sucks.
Old 20 January 2024, 01:09 AM   #11
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Whenever I look at a private sellers watch. I check join date, if there was a long period between not posting and all of sudden posting, a bunch of “nice watch” posts, then the magical just became a pledge post, and lastly here come the for sale threads with suspiciously low prices. Private sellers are typically lower than established greys but the whole picture has to make sense.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 02:13 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
So sorry to hear this OP. I truly hope you recover your money.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 06:33 AM   #13
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Sorry to hear this. It is an expensive lesson to learn not to wire money to strangers online. Hope you can get your money back but i doubt it. Good luck, i hope you succeed in it.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 10:10 AM   #14
mikeray
"TRF" Member

I'm quite disappointed in myself but I too was scammed by the same user. He agreed to do a trade for an Omega Seamaster 300M + Cash. After some back and forth, we exchanged addresses and tracking numbers (he provided a fake). The real odd thing is somewhere along the lines he lost my address when clearing his messages. He commented on his original sale post for me to reach back out to him (some of y'all may have saw that reply). It honestly seemed like such a genuine action considering this was a day AFTER I had already wired him money. It's more or less what prompted me to continue on with the deal.

So he went as far as having me send the watch to the provided address. Turns out, the address he provided wasn't his at all. It actually belonged to another member of this forum that was close to falling victim himself. He luckily backed out last minute but not before providing his address. So for some reason, that was the address "Greg Dolley" decided to have me send the watch. Very odd, as I really don't understand what there was to gain from that. Luckily, I was able to get ahold of that individual and explain the situation.

In all, I'm very fortunate to have connected with the other user that received my watch. He's kindly returning it to me so at least that much is recoverable. As for the money.. I'm praying for a positive outcome for the both of us. Tough lesson to learn and a mistake I'm surely not going to make again. Hope this story helps others in the future.

Best,
Michael
mikeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 07:04 AM   #15
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeray View Post
So he went as far as having me send the watch to the provided address. Turns out, the address he provided wasn't his at all. It actually belonged to another member of this forum that was close to falling victim himself. He luckily backed out last minute but not before providing his address. So for some reason, that was the address "Greg Dolley" decided to have me send the watch. Very odd, as I really don't understand what there was to gain from that.
Whatever that Omega Seamaster 300M was worth, the scammer must have "sold" it to wherever you were shipping, expecting the recipient to wire him some money. Or maybe your watch was part of what the scammer was purporting to trade to the recipient as part of some package scam deal.

Once I was dealing with an individual for purchase of a very expensive Rolex, and I asked for some verification information such as the factory papers for the watch. This was a little while back when FAXes were still in somewhat common use but there weren't any free online FAX services yet. I got a call from a well known dealer from whom I had bought several watches, who recognized my FAX number - the scammer had contacted the dealer and asked him to FAX the paperwork to "him." Now, that's a pretty lazy scammer he should have at least had it FAXed to him and then re-FAXed to me, but he probably didn't even have a FAX machine or didn't want to give up his landline number.
This was the form of scam where the scammer deals with an actual seller, and then passes along the watch information and pictures to the intended victim.
Modiferous is offline   Reply With Quote