The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 September 2021, 02:03 AM   #1
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
4 Seasons Opinions

Good morning all,

I’ve really been looking into Grand Seiko lately and I have actually requested the SBGA413 (spring) when the next one becomes available. However while I wait I just keep looking at many of Grand Seiko other offerings, and ultimately leading me to more questions than answers, and making me a bit less sure of what I have decided upon/requested.

I guess firstly there are many options $1k-$2k less that appear aesthetically very similar, often times made from stainless rather than titanium, many of them automatic, or high beat automatic movements. Additionally I think it may take me a bit of adjustment to get use to titanium as I have always worn steel watches.

A part of what led me to Grand Seiko and a bit of backstory, is that I’ve always liked Seiko in general, and had many of them over the years, but never a Grand Seiko.

They really seem like very nicely made/finished and genuinely interesting pieces, and I really think another nice watch like this in the box would be a nice addition to the collection and a nice breath of something different.

Additionally, a large part of what led me to the SBGA413 particularly is that my son as he gets older has really been getting more interested into watches, and I honestly kind of got him into the Seiko bug over the years, gifting him a Seiko 5 sports one Christmas, and passing and old quartz Seiko chrono, that I never really wear anymore to him. At my AD he went to look at this particular watch (SBGA413) and really fell for it.

The majority of my collection will be passed on to my kids in 10-20 years at some important life event, so it is somewhat important they at least somewhat like what I pass them, and I honestly can’t say that I dislike the 4 seasons collection at all aesthetically, and the SBGA413 particularly is probably the one I would go for as well out of the 4 seasons.

However…like I said more questions than answers, looking at others such as many of the watches in the elegance collection (and some in the heritage), the majority are priced significantly less if not about the same.

So I guess ultimately what are you all’s opinions about value for money in the 4 seasons collection particularly?

They just seem they may be slightly on the high end compared to similar watches within Grand Seikos own collection, as Grand Seiko is known to have fantastic quality throughout its lines.

Pesonally one of the big contenders is the SBGM221 (cream dial elegance GMT). It’s $2k less however the lack of water resistance bugs me as an all rounder.
Old 30 September 2021, 02:05 AM   #2
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Cliff notes…Sorry it’s so long. I appreciate those that have read though it.

Essentially just what are you all’s opinions on value for money on the 4 seasons heritage collection compared to the rest of Grand Seikos automatic/spring drive watches?
Old 30 September 2021, 02:16 AM   #3
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Personally i love the 413 but maybe consider a classic and go with the snowflake? That what i did and I couldn't be happier. If you are able to get a discount from the AD its even harder to beat. Mine was bought at 4770 Euros (5540 USD) after asking for a discount and the value for money is really mind blowing even when i compared it side by side to a rolex sub and an omega SMP, so choose what you like the most and it will exceed your expectation, you really cant go wrong IMO with these watches and im sure your son will appreciate it when the time comes. :)

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:31 AM   #4
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royerlich View Post
Personally i love the 413 but maybe consider a classic and go with the snowflake? That what i did and I couldn't be happier. If you are able to get a discount from the AD its even harder to beat. Mine was bought at 4770 Euros (5540 USD) after asking for a discount and the value for money is really mind blowing even when i compared it side by side to a rolex sub and an omega SMP, so choose what you like the most and it will exceed your expectation, you really cant go wrong IMO with these watches and im sure your son will appreciate it when the time comes. :)

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Beautiful watch!

I really appreciate the insight. That’s largely what I was referring to as well and getting at.

That’s a great watch with the same movement, and is $800 off list price of the 4 seasons collection off the bat, and really more as they seem to be a little more available than the 4 seasons spring I am waiting on, so potentially can be bought at a discount.

I know in the grand scheme of luxury watches it’s not a huge sum, but just me being me I’ll always kick myself having a watch I potentially overpaid for from a value perspective. Really don’t care about resale at all as they will be passed on, and the value is meant to be sentimental, but just realizing on the surface they may be priced a bit higher than they really should be is kind of bugging me.

However in the SBGA413’s defense, I do really love dial particularly, just seems like a large difference for a dial.
Old 30 September 2021, 03:15 AM   #5
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

In my opinion don’t consider appreciation potential when buying GS pieces. There are few GS references that trade above retail or appreciate in value over time. You can avoid material losses if you buy right preowned or get a sufficient discount from your AD but your primary decision factor should be how much you love the watch

Having said that the SBGA413 is lovely but don’t fall into the trap of thinking it’s special because it’s in the Seasons collection. GS has an endless list of “special” and “LE” editions constantly and often times they reuse the same dial texture but in different colours. Whether the pink dial is worth the premium is purely an aesthetic question from your perspective.

I would suggest you consider the SLGA007 or SLGH003/5 if you’re looking for something truly “special” as these are the new flagship references with the new spring drive and hi-beat movements. Beyond the technical improvements of the new movements the case thickness has improved materially vs older GS and make the new watches far more wearable and proportional.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:35 AM   #6
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
In my opinion don’t consider appreciation potential when buying GS pieces. There are few GS references that trade above retail or appreciate in value over time. You can avoid material losses if you buy right preowned or get a sufficient discount from your AD but your primary decision factor should be how much you love the watch

Having said that the SBGA413 is lovely but don’t fall into the trap of thinking it’s special because it’s in the Seasons collection. GS has an endless list of “special” and “LE” editions constantly and often times they reuse the same dial texture but in different colours. Whether the pink dial is worth the premium is purely an aesthetic question from your perspective.

I would suggest you consider the SLGA007 or SLGH003/5 if you’re looking for something truly “special” as these are the new flagship references with the new spring drive and hi-beat movements. Beyond the technical improvements of the new movements the case thickness has improved materially vs older GS and make the new watches far more wearable and proportional.
I appreciate your response.

Really didn’t mean that in terms of appreciation or any second hand market perspectives, sorry for a long read. Just value for money.

Looking through the range, it feels like the 4 seasons collection is just priced somewhat higher than similar models within GS own range. I guess just more seeing to understand why as much as anything.

I’ll have to look into those models you mentioned. I do appreciate a large portion of their range.

I’m just not sure the sbga413 is truly worth $6600 with likely no discount compared to other models that may be $1-2k less and boast similar features. I realize the level of finishing and all is still a great deal comparing to other luxury manufacturers, just as all of Grand Seikos range features the same finishing I’m not sure it’s worth it internally within the GS range if that makes any sense.

I’ll likely stick with it in the end, as I do really like it overall. Ive just been having this debate with myself and it feels good to talk it out.
Old 30 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #7
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

The aspects that generally make GS attractive are: dials, finishing, and movements (particularly Spring Drive or High Beat). These all come together in a uniquely GS fashion. This is the "value" of GS, and you get this in pretty much all of their product line.

The upside of all the different models, "limited" editions, and variants is that there is probably a combination that especially sings to you. Go for that one. If its one of the Four Seasons or the Snowflake, jump on that one. If not, wait until you see the one you can't live without. I'm sure whatever you choose will be a killer watch because it is a GS. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 04:07 AM   #8
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
The aspects that generally make GS attractive are: dials, finishing, and movements (particularly Spring Drive or High Beat). These all come together in a uniquely GS fashion. This is the "value" of GS, and you get this in pretty much all of their product line.

The upside of all the different models, "limited" editions, and variants is that there is probably a combination that especially sings to you. Go for that one. If its one of the Four Seasons or the Snowflake, jump on that one. If not, wait until you see the one you can't live without. I'm sure whatever you choose will be a killer watch because it is a GS. Best wishes
I appreciate it. Really looking forwards to adding one to the collection and add some variety and really different personality between brands to it all. I’ve had many Seikos, but Grand Seiko is just really cool and unique in my opinion and I’m excited to add one to it all.
Old 30 September 2021, 05:15 AM   #9
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Think the four season are quite beautiful, but then I'd argue most GS are- every time I see the most mesmerizing dial, along comes another one...
I'd take some time looking through the gorgeous pics in the "Which Grand Seiko are you wearing ?" thread and see what really stands out.
Still pics often don't do the watches justice, the dials are extremely lively and dynamic in real life, but maybe they'll give you some ideas.
The good news is that most of them will be available, like new, on the grey market, often slightly cheaper than retail.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=789879
Old 30 September 2021, 05:59 AM   #10
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Think the four season are quite beautiful, but then I'd argue most GS are- every time I see the most mesmerizing dial, along comes another one...
I'd take some time looking through the gorgeous pics in the "Which Grand Seiko are you wearing ?" thread and see what really stands out.
Still pics often don't do the watches justice, the dials are extremely lively and dynamic in real life, but maybe they'll give you some ideas.
The good news is that most of them will be available, like new, on the grey market, often slightly cheaper than retail.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=789879
Thanks for the insight, and agreed.

I do end up looking there as well and admiring them pretty often. Pretty well narrowed down to the spring edition of the 4 season collection, it seems to check all the boxes. The only reason I started the thread really was just that it seems disproportionately priced to very similar and comparable watches within the GS line, just can’t seem to determine why.

However…. Looking at them again earlier, perhaps it’s a bit of the different shapes of the case requiring additional hours of polishing… not sure.

Just movement and material I can’t figure out where the true price difference is derived from against comparative GS models.
Old 30 September 2021, 09:28 AM   #11
pandrew6l
2024 Pledge Member

I would use the money to buy a Spring Drive , a High Beat, and a 9F of you choice. To echo the other opinions, LE for GS is a joke, there is one every month on the calendar .
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:10 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
+1
These new movements 9SA5 and 9RA2 are now slimmer and are more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. I will get both SLGH003 and SLGA007 if they are available.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:55 PM   #13
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandrew6l View Post
I would use the money to buy a Spring Drive , a High Beat, and a 9F of you choice. To echo the other opinions, LE for GS is a joke, there is one every month on the calendar .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
+1
These new movements 9SA5 and 9RA2 are now slimmer and are more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. I will get both SLGH003 and SLGA007 if they are available.
Thank you all. I’ll have to look into them all a bit
Old 30 September 2021, 10:40 PM   #14
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post

This is good advice when it comes to GS.

I waited a few years until one was available with the following: Spring Drive, stainless steel, nature dial, blue hands, bracelet and heritage line. When the SBGE249 came out, I jumped on it, and I'm a very happy owner for over two years. The GMT function is a bonus.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 01:20 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The Four Seasons collection is indeed special. Not just because Grand Seiko makes fewer of them, but because of the design. That 62GS case and lack of a bezel gives the watch such a fabulous retro look. There is no other Grand Seiko model that looks like them, and they shouldn't necessarily be compared "value-wise" to other GS models, because, well, they're different watches. It all comes down to whether you like the look and feel.

As for which one of the four .... personal preference. I prefer the blue Fall (which I own) and green Summer versions with those stunning textured dials, and also because they're steel (not lighter titanium) and they're Hi-Beat automatic movements. I love the idea of Spring Drives but I don't like the meter on the dial. I've had all four on my wrist several times (not at the same time), and they're all great for different reasons.

Good luck in the search!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 03:12 AM   #16
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

I actually just logged on to TRF to make a post about my consideration of the SBGA413. And like you, my hesitation is what is driving me to post.

The SBGA413 is a beautiful piece. That dial is stunning. And they're not as common so they're holding value well for a GS.

But is it worth the price tag? Should I just go with an Omega or Tudor instead? Or chip in a bit more and get a Rolex? This is what holds me back.

Sure GS is great, but worth the money? I'm not convinced.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 03:56 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
I actually just logged on to TRF to make a post about my consideration of the SBGA413. And like you, my hesitation is what is driving me to post.

The SBGA413 is a beautiful piece. That dial is stunning. And they're not as common so they're holding value well for a GS.

But is it worth the price tag? Should I just go with an Omega or Tudor instead? Or chip in a bit more and get a Rolex? This is what holds me back.

Yes, it is worth every penny. The beauty, quality and finish of GS rivals any brand and is priced quite low for what you get.

However, I think you're going about it all wrong, IMHO. Sounds as if you're interested more in a watch as an investment, or worried whether you could get your money back if you wanted to flip the watch. I'd suggest just buying what you love. Why settle for a watch that might not sing to you just because you think it might have a higher value if you ever wanted to sell it?

But since we're on the topic ..... GS definitely does as well if not better on the secondary market compared to Omega and Tudor, depending on the model. If you're worried solely about resale value, Rolex is the way to go.

Good luck in your search.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 05:38 AM   #18
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:

In absolute terms, yes it's worth the money- reliability, accuracy, quality, finishing etc are at least equal to, & frequently better than Omega and Tudor- That said, I buy watches I like the look of and "feel" are worth the money, simple as that- The brand doesn't matter so much.

If you're unsure, buy pre owned. No one seems to be making fakes, so you're pretty safe there.
Old 1 October 2021, 08:24 AM   #19
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This is good advice when it comes to GS.

I waited a few years until one was available with the following: Spring Drive, stainless steel, nature dial, blue hands, bracelet and heritage line. When the SBGE249 came out, I jumped on it, and I'm a very happy owner for over two years. The GMT function is a bonus.
Thank you sir. I really do like this particular one the sbga413… I believe I’m likely just overthinking it all. Likely because I’m so use to Rolex in particular and perhaps that is just causing some doubts about it all. I know they are great watches. I’m excited to get into it when the time comes. (Watch gets into the AD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The Four Seasons collection is indeed special. Not just because Grand Seiko makes fewer of them, but because of the design. That 62GS case and lack of a bezel gives the watch such a fabulous retro look. There is no other Grand Seiko model that looks like them, and they shouldn't necessarily be compared "value-wise" to other GS models, because, well, they're different watches. It all comes down to whether you like the look and feel.

As for which one of the four .... personal preference. I prefer the blue Fall (which I own) and green Summer versions with those stunning textured dials, and also because they're steel (not lighter titanium) and they're Hi-Beat automatic movements. I love the idea of Spring Drives but I don't like the meter on the dial. I've had all four on my wrist several times (not at the same time), and they're all great for different reasons.

Good luck in the search!
Thank you for the response!

You really hit the nail on the head of what I was getting at with the comparison of others in the GS line. I do indeed think at this point I’m just overthinking it, and that they are great and unique watches that have their own merits and cannot be really put head to head with others in the line as they all have their personalities. I do particularly like this watch, and if that’s what it’s going for then it should be pretty settled I suppose. Thanks again
Old 1 October 2021, 08:30 AM   #20
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The times I’ve held one I always liked it really well except the weight. The dial and general aesthetic stuck with me however, and when I made my third visit to the AD to actually buy one they had sold it the week before. The quality and finishing is really nice for the price point I think.

I think a bit of what inspired my post is that I spent too much time at the AD playing with GS that day, and started noticing how many great watches there are from GS that cost even less, so I started considering not so much if the GS is worth it as a brand but more whether the 4 seasons collection are worth what they cost comparatively speaking in the line or if I’m just crazy.

Good luck in your hunt. I hope mine comes in soon.
Old 4 October 2021, 09:46 AM   #21
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Hello there. About two months ago, I picked up my first GS, the SBGA415, Winter from the Seasons collection. Here's the incoming thread from early August.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=816037

After two months of ownership, I can confidently say this is one of the best watch purchases (likely the best) I've ever made. I bought new from a local AD prior to the slight price increase and don't regret it. Like you mentioned, it's on the higher end for most of the GS line, but it really has a lot to offer. I thought it was a nice watch in pictures, but the experience of seeing it in person was on an entirely different level. The finishing is impeccable, and the dial has a real depth to it that pictures don't capture. The 62GS case is incredibly charming, and the lack of a bezel, allowing the crystal to show in all it's glory, is a wonderful vintage touch. So far, the spring drive keeps incredible time -- it gains approximately 1 second every 5-6 days, so something on the order of +5 seconds per month. Some people prefer the weight and heft of stainless steel, but I wear my watches for nearly everything and I love the fact that the titanium makes it disappear on the wrist. As it's linked for my wrist, it weighs 92g, which is the lightest and most comfortable watch I've ever owned. Add in the fact that is has 100m of WR and a screw down crown, and it's essentially the best daily watch I've had. I can't recommend it enough, and hope your Spring arrives soon.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 10:32 AM   #22
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Hello there. About two months ago, I picked up my first GS, the SBGA415, Winter from the Seasons collection. Here's the incoming thread from early August.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=816037

After two months of ownership, I can confidently say this is one of the best watch purchases (likely the best) I've ever made. I bought new from a local AD prior to the slight price increase and don't regret it. Like you mentioned, it's on the higher end for most of the GS line, but it really has a lot to offer. I thought it was a nice watch in pictures, but the experience of seeing it in person was on an entirely different level. The finishing is impeccable, and the dial has a real depth to it that pictures don't capture. The 62GS case is incredibly charming, and the lack of a bezel, allowing the crystal to show in all it's glory, is a wonderful vintage touch. So far, the spring drive keeps incredible time -- it gains approximately 1 second every 5-6 days, so something on the order of +5 seconds per month. Some people prefer the weight and heft of stainless steel, but I wear my watches for nearly everything and I love the fact that the titanium makes it disappear on the wrist. As it's linked for my wrist, it weighs 92g, which is the lightest and most comfortable watch I've ever owned. Add in the fact that is has 100m of WR and a screw down crown, and it's essentially the best daily watch I've had. I can't recommend it enough, and hope your Spring arrives soon.
Thank you sir. I really appreciate the response and review of the watch.

It really does seem like a super nice all rounder. It probably will take me some adjusting to get use to the titanium, but honestly I think once I have it on the wrist it won’t bother me really as it’s easy to get lost in the dial and the details of these watches. Handling and playing with a few GS I really love the details and quality that go into it. Based off of your description and experience it sounds like a fantastic watch a really perfect all rounder. The styling as well is great with how it can really go either way between dress or sport. Excited for it to arrive! Thanks again
Old 4 October 2021, 11:22 AM   #23
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I was in the same position as you, I visited the AD with the intention of purchasing the new GMT in green or the Snowflake.

They would not shift on the price and were pushing LE models at a premium; watches that were fundamentally different coloured spring or HB models.

Being my first GS watch I took the safe root.

I sourced a grey market Snowflake for around $4,000. 3 months old, flawless and with the international warranty.

The reason I went this way was that the watch had already taken the depreciation hit and, being new to GS if I found they wasn't for me I could off-load the watch with a minimal loss.

LE's of anything are generally overpriced fads, the snowflake being white will always be a desirable model and easy to trade, LE's are a pot luck some will become desirable others not.

So, as you are asking advice, go with a staple or, flagship model that you like, try to purchase on the used market or with a large discount, then see if you are convinced that GS are all you expected. If not you have at least a fighting chance of minimising your financial loss. And you will own a timeless model watch.
subdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 01:00 PM   #24
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
I happened to be at the Beverly Hills GS boutique a couple of years ago when the 4 seasons collection came out. I didn't know about the collection and this was my first visit to a GS store (I had never seen one in person). After looking at a few pieces and having a great conversation with the staff and some enthusiastic customers, they showed me the 413 Spring. I couldn't stop looking at it (neither could my wife!). So I bought the watch and 2 years later I own 4 GS watches.
So, to answer your value question, if you love it buy it. I don't recommend anyone buy a watch as an investment. It's a nice feeling when they appreciate but I don't plan to sell any of mine so it doesn't make a difference to me.
One thing that may affect value though - if you are paying full retail, considering buying from one of the boutiques. They include the extended warranty (double, I think) when you buy from them. Boutiques do not discount though.

Also, a word of caution: if you buy a Grand Seiko, you may end up loving them like me and buying more. This will cost you more money. :)
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:30 PM   #25
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

I've had at least 7 GSs... including 2 Snowflakes and 2 SBGA001s (now known as the 201). Super impressive watches but didn't stay with me. Granted I am finicky. This may sound weird, but the Snowflake, to me, seemed to scratch more easily than steel. I also don't love the dimensions, though the Snowflake is a very impressive watch. I like the SBGA001s a lot but again, kind of not the dimensions I love. Also very impressive watches.

I wonder if in 10 or 20 years, if your children will want and love your watches. You know better than us. But as they mature and grow, it may be hard to gauge their tastes.

I think it best to go with what you like. You have been doing your homework, so your decision won't be reckless. Once your mind is made, forget about the price. Consider it done. I have found GS to have a whole lot of interest, and while I lost some money on them, it wasn't all that bad. This is the nature of this stuff and these high priced watches. It's kind of a "big boys game". And that is not to sound like a big shot or to take your finances lightly.

In the end, I love my my 37 mm Quartz GS, but it sounds like it is too ordinary for where your interests lie. I love the slim profile.

I also just got a King Seiko, and while it is not a Grand Seiko, it is a up there as a very fine watch, no slouch. People are raving about 'em.

Not much help I guess, but that's the way this stuff is for me. You learn as you go along. But as everyone here says, you're getting a great watch with Grand Seiko.
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 10:54 AM   #26
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
I was in the same position as you, I visited the AD with the intention of purchasing the new GMT in green or the Snowflake.

They would not shift on the price and were pushing LE models at a premium; watches that were fundamentally different coloured spring or HB models.

Being my first GS watch I took the safe root.

I sourced a grey market Snowflake for around $4,000. 3 months old, flawless and with the international warranty.

The reason I went this way was that the watch had already taken the depreciation hit and, being new to GS if I found they wasn't for me I could off-load the watch with a minimal loss.

LE's of anything are generally overpriced fads, the snowflake being white will always be a desirable model and easy to trade, LE's are a pot luck some will become desirable others not.

So, as you are asking advice, go with a staple or, flagship model that you like, try to purchase on the used market or with a large discount, then see if you are convinced that GS are all you expected. If not you have at least a fighting chance of minimising your financial loss. And you will own a timeless model watch.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. That definitely is the downside to GS. They seem like great watches however and I’ve long liked Seiko as a brand. I don’t really plan on selling it though, even if I don’t fully bond with it personally as silly as that may sound. When I was at my AD purchasing a separate watch my son looked at it and tried it and fell in love with it, and oddly enough I really like it aesthetically as well. 3 of my 4 watches will go to my children at some important life event, so it is important they like it I think, I want them to keep it and have memories with it. So with us both liking the sbga413 off hand it seems like a pretty safe bet. I’m planning to purchase new despite the hit Ill very likely take in it as my others that are being passed down were bought new, and like I said no intention of selling. I appreciate the solid advice though none the less.
Old 5 October 2021, 10:57 AM   #27
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattymac View Post
I happened to be at the Beverly Hills GS boutique a couple of years ago when the 4 seasons collection came out. I didn't know about the collection and this was my first visit to a GS store (I had never seen one in person). After looking at a few pieces and having a great conversation with the staff and some enthusiastic customers, they showed me the 413 Spring. I couldn't stop looking at it (neither could my wife!). So I bought the watch and 2 years later I own 4 GS watches.
So, to answer your value question, if you love it buy it. I don't recommend anyone buy a watch as an investment. It's a nice feeling when they appreciate but I don't plan to sell any of mine so it doesn't make a difference to me.
One thing that may affect value though - if you are paying full retail, considering buying from one of the boutiques. They include the extended warranty (double, I think) when you buy from them. Boutiques do not discount though.

Also, a word of caution: if you buy a Grand Seiko, you may end up loving them like me and buying more. This will cost you more money. :)
It’s funny you mention this. The more I look at the line the more watches I like and appreciate the GS line as a whole. As you mentioned though, since I do indeed like it I believe I’ll get it as soon as my local AD gets one back in. Interesting on the warranty though. I may have to inquire none the less, that’s a great deal. As you mentioned as well, I wasn’t looking at it as an investment, it just seems GS has so much to offer I couldn’t understand why the 4 seasons line almost appears at a premium price wise over other fantastic GS options. Thanks for the insight and advice.
Old 5 October 2021, 11:05 AM   #28
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
I've had at least 7 GSs... including 2 Snowflakes and 2 SBGA001s (now known as the 201). Super impressive watches but didn't stay with me. Granted I am finicky. This may sound weird, but the Snowflake, to me, seemed to scratch more easily than steel. I also don't love the dimensions, though the Snowflake is a very impressive watch. I like the SBGA001s a lot but again, kind of not the dimensions I love. Also very impressive watches.

I wonder if in 10 or 20 years, if your children will want and love your watches. You know better than us. But as they mature and grow, it may be hard to gauge their tastes.

I think it best to go with what you like. You have been doing your homework, so your decision won't be reckless. Once your mind is made, forget about the price. Consider it done. I have found GS to have a whole lot of interest, and while I lost some money on them, it wasn't all that bad. This is the nature of this stuff and these high priced watches. It's kind of a "big boys game". And that is not to sound like a big shot or to take your finances lightly.

In the end, I love my my 37 mm Quartz GS, but it sounds like it is too ordinary for where your interests lie. I love the slim profile.

I also just got a King Seiko, and while it is not a Grand Seiko, it is a up there as a very fine watch, no slouch. People are raving about 'em.

Not much help I guess, but that's the way this stuff is for me. You learn as you go along. But as everyone here says, you're getting a great watch with Grand Seiko.
I appreciate it. Funny enough my kids seem to be getting into watches, I think it’s probably something that is rubbing off from me. My youngest loves his watch, and my oldest is really into them as well. The scratch resistance of titanium has been a concern of mine. I know they say titanium is technically harder than steel, but I always have a bit of a memory for some reason of the cheaper titanium watches from the early 2000s and for some reason I seem to recall them getting scratches easily. Seeing used GS though, they seem to hold up well enough though. I’m sure with GS and just looking at them and handling them are a great deal away from those watches I mentioned.

Like you mentioned as well for the right watch not yo worry about the price necessarily. I think that’s where I am at as well. I believe I’ve found it and that’s the going rate so just going to go for it and whatever will be will be I guess.