The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2021, 01:52 AM   #31
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post
NYC is sketchy now lol.....Although I admit, traffic is not like it use to be and thats nice.

edit:^ to this point, in the clubs. A lot of the women will be point women, they will dress up go to tables and see what guys have what. Then text their team outside and target them when they leave. A lot of it is inside jobs.

Social media is too slow, you need real time feeds.
i personally find the traffic to be the same or worse. i live in brooklyn and with the 25 mph speed limit it's basically grid lock everywhere at most times of the day. the worst part of the speed limit change is that since it creates so much more traffic people start using their phones and it slows it down even more. manhattan remains manhattan and will never change without something drastic like congestion pricing which i wouldn't want because it's nice to take a break from the subways and drive into work once or twice a week. also the roads are horrific and get worse every year
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 02:05 AM   #32
Star Ferry
Banned

I think NYPD continues to be a visible and (mostly) respected presence on the streets. I see more law enforcement here than I do in any other US city I've visited.

That said, things are sketchier now vs. pre-Covid times. There are more bad apples around and they're more brazen.

To the extent anyone cares about my opinion: (1) Don't get drunk at a bar, restaurant, or club. Have a drink, or have 5, but don't get drunk. It makes you a 100x easier target. (2) If you're not worried about the virus, dine indoors. Have a photo of your vaccine card and photo ID ready to go.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 02:25 AM   #33
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Damn, this sucks. Stay alert and be wise wearing your stuff in NYC(like any place really).
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 03:33 AM   #34
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Let’s hope the tide turns. It is getting a bit worrisome. Desperation & hopelessness can be a very scary combo
Not sure if you guys have recently noticed but LAPD presence in the Melrose area is 10x the normal amount. The last few times I have driven by, I've seen at least 10 patrol cars within a few blocks and several officers on the streets. This seems to have been helping with thefts the last few weeks. Felt very safe the last few times I was in the area. I'm afraid, however, this will just push thieves to a different area or perhaps back to DTLA. That RM theft at Postiano in BH was wild, in broad daylight nonetheless.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 03:50 AM   #35
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Meh, they will be out on no cash bail in the morning... the current policies and politicians there have turned a world class city into a wasteland. Decent, law abiding people can't go to dinner with a piece of jewelry anymore. Sounds more like a 3rd world country to me. And yes, we won't even go to Melrose in LA or surrounding areas any longer.
Third world has been coming in by the thousands.
Old 13 October 2021, 04:08 AM   #36
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Third world has been coming in by the thousands.
Import the third world become the third world.
Old 13 October 2021, 04:19 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
We use to have constant threads here where people would say “headed to xyz with my Rolex is it safe”

It was a running joke mostly Americans thinking every country outside CONUS was too dangerous for a Rolex. Most members would say “use common sense and you’ll be fine.” Or “I was there last month very safe etc”

Now you can’t wear one in NY/LA etc lol ffs social media has absolutely ruined this hobby.
Old 13 October 2021, 04:22 AM   #38
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
We use to have constant threads here where people would say “headed to xyz with my Rolex is it safe”

It was a running joke mostly Americans thinking every country outside CONUS was too dangerous for a Rolex. Most members would say “use common sense and you’ll be fine.” Or “I was there last month very safe etc”

Now you can’t wear one in NY/LA etc lol ffs social media has absolutely ruined this hobby.
yeah it's pretty sad. used to wear a gold rolex on the subway with sleeves rolled up and now haven't worn it in a while. also apparently of the major cities it's the worst in london from what i've been reading, but obviously not sure how true it is
Old 13 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
yeah it's pretty sad. used to wear a gold rolex on the subway with sleeves rolled up and now haven't worn it in a while. also apparently of the major cities it's the worst in london from what i've been reading, but obviously not sure how true it is

I’m in buffalo so there’s just not enough people wearing high end watches for this to be a racket. At least not that I’m aware of. Knock on wood.

I use to wear my LVc on the b train at 1 am half in the bag all the time short sleeves alone. Guess that wasn’t smart then either.
Old 13 October 2021, 04:31 AM   #40
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m in buffalo so there’s just not enough people wearing high end watches for this to be a racket. At least not that I’m aware of. Knock on wood.

I use to wear my LVc on the b train at 1 am half in the bag all the time short sleeves alone. Guess that wasn’t smart then either.
lol yeah i take the b train too funny enough. feel like that's one of the safer trains anyway but looking back at it now i'm just in disbelief that i was doing that. but also i've taken the subway once since march 2020 so it's probably also a factor, maybe just need to get used to it again. also remember going out to the village this summer and it was just weirdly empty at 9pm and people were just doing coke in plain sight, no one even cares anymore
Old 13 October 2021, 09:25 AM   #41
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Is this thread for real? I was just there in June, out and about all over the place. Rolex on the wrist, Rolex EVERYWHERE. Not once did I feel threatened.

Dang, I don’t really like NYC because it’s so big, but sorry,
it’s basically safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 October 2021, 09:49 AM   #42
Thug
"TRF" Member

Quote:
people were just doing coke in plain sight, no one even cares anymore
This is normal for the village, though. Maybe you should move to the suburbs.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 09:58 AM   #43
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
i mean i didn't know people did it out in plain sight outside but i don't go to the village often, not my type of crowd. just to clarify it doesn't actually bother me, was just surprised
Old 13 October 2021, 10:26 AM   #44
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
“They took my rings, they took my Rolex, I looked at the brother and said, damn what’s next?!”

Felt appropriate.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 10:58 AM   #45
nyc10ken
Banned

I may be biased but I think NY will recover when the following happen in the short to medium term. We don't know exactly when but when the following happen:

1) delta calms down
2) tourism returns
3) companies make folks go back to office.

And one more will be sure to happen end of this year 4) current mayor steps down, nobody can do a worse job than him.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:16 AM   #46
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post
NYC is sketchy now lol.....Although I admit, traffic is not like it use to be and thats nice.

edit:^ to this point, in the clubs. A lot of the women will be point women, they will dress up go to tables and see what guys have what. Then text their team outside and target them when they leave. A lot of it is inside jobs.

Social media is too slow, you need real time feeds.
Inside jobs, indeed. Bouncers, bartenders, servers, and “customers” scoping out potential victims with nice watches and jewelry.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:21 AM   #47
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Process View Post
“They took my rings, they took my Rolex, I looked at the brother and said, damn what’s next?!
And if your watch ain’t working,
RSC will regulate.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:43 AM   #48
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
And if your watch ain’t working,
RSC will regulate.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 12:33 PM   #49
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakman View Post
Import the third world become the third world.
Exactly! I’m afraid this is just the beginning.
Old 13 October 2021, 12:54 PM   #50
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
I may be biased but I think NY will recover when the following happen in the short to medium term. We don't know exactly when but when the following happen:

1) delta calms down
2) tourism returns
3) companies make folks go back to office.

And one more will be sure to happen end of this year 4) current mayor steps down, nobody can do a worse job than him.
agree, 100% will recover. it's just a matter of when and how much worse it'll get before it starts turning around
Old 13 October 2021, 01:14 PM   #51
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
def no cocaine in the suburbs. good suggestion
Old 13 October 2021, 01:29 PM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
def no cocaine in the suburbs. good suggestion

Old 13 October 2021, 01:32 PM   #53
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

https://nypost.com/2021/09/16/philip...site%20buttons

A $700 Rolex. Wonder what model was it? I live in Queens and I wear my 15400 pretty much daily. Regular people think you wearing a Michael Kors, so it makes me feel safe and cozy. Yet again I don’t like to catch a lot of attention and try to look like “money” so I guess it depends what kind of attention you look for really.

edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:40 PM   #54
IR201
"TRF" Member

Who do these guys usually sell to?

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:48 PM   #55
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
https://youtu.be/gpP6BV5cI6o
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 01:48 PM   #56
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

They go straight to the Gray Market-

edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 04:00 PM   #57
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I just remember the days I was always in the wrong part of town in bars etc occasionally someone would say hey nice watch and I would always just tell them I wish it was real!
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:31 PM   #58
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
manhattan isn't gonna be as safe or the same as pre pandemic for a while. just feels sketchy walking around even during the day time there now which is a huge shame because before this you could feel safe even at 2am on a tuesday
Pre covid was in the city couple times a month took the wife zero problems....great shows and food...now is a totally different story...no reason to go back and deal with it...feel sorry for all the workers and will miss the great shopping
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:38 PM   #59
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

It’s a serious issue in Houston, where I have two acquaintances who were followed home from restaurants where they were targeted for their watches/cars, and robbed at gunpoint by multiple assailants. One was beaten pretty badly. The people committing these crimes are organized predators and this is their vocation. Most have multiple prior felonies and many are out on bond from pending felonies. Zero tolerance for this type or crime is the only thing that’s going to fix this, and as a society we’ve shown time and time again that we don’t have the stomach for zero tolerance.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 03:05 AM   #60
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Is this thread for real? I was just there in June, out and about all over the place. Rolex on the wrist, Rolex EVERYWHERE. Not once did I feel threatened.

Dang, I don’t really like NYC because it’s so big, but sorry,
it’s basically safe.

Kinda like when a drunk driver makes it home safe one time it indicates that despite all obvious evidence driving drunk is safe right?
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote