The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 October 2021, 03:02 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Mixing and Matching Vaccines, and Booster Shots....

I saw this today and it talks about the booster shots for Covid and about the mixing or matching of the various shots.

Please no politics.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...&loggedin=true
Old 17 October 2021, 03:15 AM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes, it is sad and corrosive that politics seems to be bleeding into issues that it has no business in. Science is science and data are data.
Old 17 October 2021, 03:45 AM   #3
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Thanks for posting...

I got the JJ back in March 2021. This article suggests, with small study results, that the Moderna vaccine would be the best for me. However, it also says that the clinical data is not conclusive. I'm going to wait for the FDA to give a solid recommendation. This data or decision will be available soon.

"... Plus, if you choose your own unauthorized booster shot, what happens if later research proves a different combination is better? That’s why experts say it’s a bad idea to become your own vaccine advisory committee and get a shot out of turn. “Deciding whether to mix,” Javaid says, “should be done in a safe and scientific matter rather than randomly.”

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 17 October 2021, 07:24 AM   #4
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
My husband has had 2 Pfizer vaccines in Florida. This next week he gets a booster. The county we live in is coming into our neighbourhood so he is eligible that way.

I waited to get mine in Canada and have a mix of of vaccines. I wish I had got the vaccines with him. I’m thinking my series is not yet recognized in the USA unless that has recently changed.
Old 17 October 2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Brew
"TRF" Member

I am torn on these boosters. Part of me thinks we’ll never get past this, if we don’t attend to those parts of the world that are not yet vaccinated. But in reality, there will always be “those parts of the world” (including the US) where the virus can flourish, variate, and come for us.

Since that’s the case, here’s my arm . . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17 October 2021, 07:40 AM   #6
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I ordered the sampler.
Old 17 October 2021, 09:06 AM   #7
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Got JJ in Feb 2021
Did my antibodies the other day ..S Prot IgG sky high after 7 months .

Vaccine works
Still works after 7 months .
No booster needed now .

Will repeat every 3 months .

Old 17 October 2021, 09:34 AM   #8
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Got JJ in Feb 2021
Did my antibodies the other day ..S Prot IgG sky high after 7 months .

Vaccine works
Still works after 7 months .
No booster needed now .

Will repeat every 3 months .

I have a place near me that does an antibodies test, I should give that a go. I would be interested to see what I have after about 6 months with the Moderna.
Old 17 October 2021, 09:40 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Vaccine and covid talk makes me yearn for the “should I buy the batgirl as an investment” threads.
Old 17 October 2021, 10:51 AM   #10
austinp
"TRF" Member

Are there home antibody tests to buy at the drug stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 October 2021, 05:44 AM   #11
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

The antibody titer doesn’t necessarily reflect the immune system’s humoral response / cytotoxic responses. There is insufficient data to base immunization based in antibody titers yet. My specialty is laboratory medicine for what it’s worth.
Old 18 October 2021, 09:16 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
The antibody titer doesn’t necessarily reflect the immune system’s humoral response / cytotoxic responses. There is insufficient data to base immunization based in antibody titers yet. My specialty is laboratory medicine for what it’s worth.

Way to rain on my parade I was hoping to antibody test then decide from there on the boost lol
Old 18 October 2021, 09:18 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Astra and Moderna for me and my wife.

They’re good enough to travel in Europe, hopefully to the US as well
Old 18 October 2021, 09:35 AM   #14
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I have a place near me that does an antibodies test, I should give that a go. I would be interested to see what I have after about 6 months with the Moderna.
My wife recently got Covid (she's 5 weeks into it now) and she got the Moderna in Feb with all of the educators. Even though she still got it 6 months after vaccination, the remaining efficacy saved her life. Literally. It kicked her a$$ and it was touch and go at times whether we needed to go in or not and she is still recovering. The brain fog, exhaustion, and shortness of breath are still there. My wife said it's definitely neurological.

Our good friend, who is the head of ER for a major medical system here said as bad as she got it, had she not been vaccinated she most likely would have been in the hospital and on a ventilator or oxygen, and very possibly worse.

The vaccines work.

My 13 year old and I both got vaccinated in April and May and we didn't get it. My 11 year old did get it but my 8 year old didn't. Interesting that we are all in the same household, too. We all spread out and quarantined, though, as my wife stated getting sick even before her positive test results came back. She thought it was a cold but we took preventive measures anyway to be safe. Then it hit her like a freight train.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 18 October 2021, 09:40 AM   #15
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Way to rain on my parade I was hoping to antibody test then decide from there on the boost lol

Same.

I had the vaccine then got Covid a few months later. I think I’m loaded with antibodies.

Old 18 October 2021, 09:41 AM   #16
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yes, it is sad and corrosive that politics seems to be bleeding into issues that it has no business in. Science is science and data are data.
Your post right here is remarkably political. Insanely political. So is this entire subject. Please don’t pretend for a millisecond that you don’t know this. Have a great night.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 18 October 2021, 09:54 AM   #17
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Recent study of 600,000 US J&J recipients showed as little as 3% protection after 6 months.

I had J&J 7 months ago. San Francisco is apparently allowing mixing of boosters right now. Furthermore, many infectious disease docs are getting the Moderna or Pfizer if they had J&J. Yet, we have to wait to get any booster.

Breakthrough infections are becoming more and more common (two of my friends this week alone) and I am not really interested in waiting for approval by CDC for J&J booster without proof it has dramatically better staying power than a full mRNA round.

Nor am I interested in waiting weeks for formal approval of an mRNA booster before I can get it locally. Especially, since I promised my wife we can go to her family’s for Thanksgiving since our kids will all be shot up by then.

Looks like I get a trip to San Fran.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 18 October 2021, 10:03 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Data is data, data are datum.
Old 18 October 2021, 10:05 AM   #19
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
It's not that simple. Scientists disagree all the time, additionally data results often have different interpretations.
Old 18 October 2021, 10:24 AM   #20
Chloe&Harley
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss white
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Astra and Moderna for me and my wife.
I received the same combination and believe it was announced we can travel to the US
Old 18 October 2021, 10:24 AM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
It's not that simple. Scientists disagree all the time, additionally data results often have different interpretations.

It’s pretty clear until the talking heads spin and twist it. Then politicians almost all lawyers weaponize it. Sickening. The issue is people don’t know what they don’t know and what politicians lack in knowledge they make up for in bluster.

The trend lines with the current pandemic are indeed clear. The interpretations among the scientists-ones with the training-not the politicians with regard to the pandemic have been generally consistent. However politicians and talking heads use what little daylight there is to exploit and manipulate for their own personal gains.

Old 18 October 2021, 10:26 AM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Data is data, data are datum.

Lol. Indeed.

Old 18 October 2021, 10:34 AM   #23
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Your post right here is remarkably political. Insanely political. So is this entire subject. Please don’t pretend for a millisecond that you don’t know this. Have a great night.

No no. I don’t see it that way. Politics is a lens that one takes a given piece of info and filters it through their particular worldview. With politics, conclusions are made first and data and information that does not fit tossed.

With science, one goes in collects data, and the conclusions follow the data.

I get it, science and data are things that few of us actually have specialized training in. So for most laymen, data can be twisted, manipulated for personal gain. The general public has no idea what constitutes decent quality studies from junk science. And so one gets defensive, and skeptical, and rejects it out of hand-only to be told by the people they trust. Trust becomes elevated above data. Well my talking head at 8 told me and I don’t care what the p value of that study was it’s hogwash.

Old 18 October 2021, 10:41 AM   #24
austinp
"TRF" Member

Anybody listen to the Rogan Gupta pod cast? Pretty enjoyable listen. They talked a lot about this.

Old 18 October 2021, 10:45 AM   #25
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
No no. I don’t see it that way. Politics is a lens that one takes a given piece of info and filters it through their particular worldview. With politics, conclusions are made first and data and information that does not fit tossed.

With science, one goes in collects data, and the conclusions follow the data.

I get it, science and data are things that few of us actually have specialized training in. So for most laymen, data can be twisted, manipulated for personal gain. The general public has no idea what constitutes decent quality studies from junk science. And so one gets defensive, and skeptical, and rejects it out of hand-only to be told by the people they trust. Trust becomes elevated above data. Well my talking head at 8 told me and I don’t care what the p value of that study was it’s hogwash.

Perhaps if you read your post, this particular one now with a loved one they would feel comfortable enough to let you know just how condescending it is. Of course your other post that I commented on is remarkably condescending also. There are plenty of scientists and plenty of studies that easily contradict most of what you think you know and espouse. I suspect the news outlets you pay attention to don’t report these other opinions and findings. That’s all well and good but it doesn’t change the fact that this subject is incredibly polarizing and political and so are both your posts even know you tried to be cute with them. Good try though. Now go get that loved one to read your post.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 18 October 2021, 11:00 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Anybody listen to the Rogan Gupta pod cast? Pretty enjoyable listen. They talked a lot about this.

Yes I did. Gupta is a nice guy but joe took him for a walk. Smh lol

I don’t care if anyone wants a shot or not. That’s their own decision. I would advise anyone not fit or over 25 to go ahead and get it though based on what I’ve digested. As such I went ahead and got it back in March.

(To be clear I use advise jokingly I have zero education in medicine)
Old 18 October 2021, 11:57 AM   #27
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Perhaps if you read your post, this particular one now with a loved one they would feel comfortable enough to let you know just how condescending it is. Of course your other post that I commented on is remarkably condescending also. There are plenty of scientists and plenty of studies that easily contradict most of what you think you know and espouse. I suspect the news outlets you pay attention to don’t report these other opinions and findings. That’s all well and good but it doesn’t change the fact that this subject is incredibly polarizing and political and so are both your posts even know you tried to be cute with them. Good try though. Now go get that loved one to read your post.
It’s clear where you stand. Feel free to provide peer reviewed data. Otherwise, best read and learn. Emotionally driven arguments are not equal to evidence-based empirical data. Period.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:15 PM   #28
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Can we shut this down? This topic makes me sicker than covid ever could.
Closed Thread