The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2014, 06:49 AM   #31
Shikar
"TRF" Member

The tutorial works and thanks for the congratulations.

Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2014, 09:11 PM   #32
APristi
"TRF" Member

Watch: APanerai Rolex
if cutting only 1 slot , is it better to cut the slot on the 12 o'clock side or the 6 o'clock side ?

i currently have equal cut slots on the 2 sides of the rubber strap
APristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 01:40 AM   #33
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by APristi View Post
if cutting only 1 slot , is it better to cut the slot on the 12 o'clock side or the 6 o'clock side ?

i currently have equal cut slots on the 2 sides of the rubber strap
For the best centering of the clasp on the wrist, it is usually better for the 6 o'clock side to be slightly shorter.
Old 2 September 2014, 12:15 AM   #34
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
For the best centering of the clasp on the wrist, it is usually better for the 6 o'clock side to be slightly shorter.

So example, it would be better if I cut 3 slots at the 12 o'clock side + 1 slot at the 6 o'clock side instead of cutting 2 slots on each sides?

Would appreciate if those whom had cut their straps can confirm.

Many thanks.
Tzehou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 11:49 AM   #35
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzehou View Post
So example, it would be better if I cut 3 slots at the 12 o'clock side + 1 slot at the 6 o'clock side instead of cutting 2 slots on each sides?

Would appreciate if those whom had cut their straps can confirm.

Many thanks.
It would be the other way around. You would want to cut 1 slot from the 12 o'clock side and 3 slots from the 6 o'clock side as by having a shorter strap on the 6 o'clock side it centers the clasp better (at least for me anyways).

Right now I have 8 slots remaining on the 12 o'clock side and 6 slots remaining on the 6 o'clock side instead of 7 and 7, and that centers the clasp almost perfectly for me.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 12:05 PM   #36
Jabberjaw
Banned

Take it to an AD. Not worth a $300 mistake !!
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 01:20 PM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Good god just cut 1 at a time you've nothing to lose lol
Old 2 September 2014, 01:25 PM   #38
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

When I bought mine, my AD insisted that the right way was an equal cut. He says he had done heaps this way. I pushed back and we compromised with 1 more segment on the 12 o clock side. Seems to be a perfect balance although I might need to cut another segment out since it is just a bit too loose. I suspect I'll go for the 12 o clock side and end up with a balanced configuration.

gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 02:31 PM   #39
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ320 View Post
It would be the other way around. You would want to cut 1 slot from the 12 o'clock side and 3 slots from the 6 o'clock side as by having a shorter strap on the 6 o'clock side it centers the clasp better (at least for me anyways).

Right now I have 8 slots remaining on the 12 o'clock side and 6 slots remaining on the 6 o'clock side instead of 7 and 7, and that centers the clasp almost perfectly for me.
Ah.... I see. Many thanks for the clarifications mate. Appreciated. I'm thinking of getting the 5167 too and my ad is helping me currently to source for a unit.
Old 2 September 2014, 02:34 PM   #40
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the inputs. Hope to hear from more owners as there seems to be some variations on how to cut in order to get the clasp centered on the wrist
Old 3 September 2014, 08:17 AM   #41
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzehou View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Hope to hear from more owners as there seems to be some variations on how to cut in order to get the clasp centered on the wrist
Definitely cut one slot at a time would be my suggestion as well, but start with the 6 o'clock side as you would want that to be the shorter side to help center the clasp. All the best with your search for the 5167.
Old 3 September 2014, 10:05 AM   #42
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the tip, will be putting it to use later this week!
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2014, 05:18 PM   #43
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Great thread, even if I don't have one. For the Winter/summer difference, I totally relate as my wrists do increase/decrease rapidly either depending on temperature or being on a plane for a few hours, but since you say that straps are 250$ I would definitely buy a 2nd one have one fitted in summer time and the other in winter time, like this you have a perfect fit in every season, as when my watches are not tightly fitted and dangle even slightly, the scratch/bump factor is much more important.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2014, 12:55 AM   #44
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Great thread, even if I don't have one. For the Winter/summer difference, I totally relate as my wrists do increase/decrease rapidly either depending on temperature or being on a plane for a few hours, but since you say that straps are 250$ I would definitely buy a 2nd one have one fitted in summer time and the other in winter time, like this you have a perfect fit in every season, as when my watches are not tightly fitted and dangle even slightly, the scratch/bump factor is much more important.
Haas... Like you comments. Might be popping by Paris in oct 14. Hope to visit some nice PP and AP boutiques when there
Old 4 September 2014, 10:38 AM   #45
cyhawk
"TRF" Member

Do people care to post their wrist size and how many segments they have on each side? My watch shows up Friday or Monday. I have a 6" wrist, thought I could avoid a painfully long fitting process with a little help from you owners. I did just have the dealer order an extra strap already . . . I figure if I ever pass the watch on that it is a given I'll need a new one because of my small wrist size, might as well have it ready to go.

This will be my first Patek and first watch in this stratosphere of watches. Can't wait!
cyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2014, 10:46 AM   #46
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Got the sharp scissors and spring bar tool, just need to save for the 5167 now
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2014, 12:26 PM   #47
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhawk View Post
Do people care to post their wrist size and how many segments they have on each side? My watch shows up Friday or Monday. I have a 6" wrist, thought I could avoid a painfully long fitting process with a little help from you owners. I did just have the dealer order an extra strap already . . . I figure if I ever pass the watch on that it is a given I'll need a new one because of my small wrist size, might as well have it ready to go.

This will be my first Patek and first watch in this stratosphere of watches. Can't wait!
Congrats in advance! My wrist is 6.5" and I have 8 slots remaining on one end, and 6 slots remaining on the other end.

However, if you are picking up from the dealer why not have them size it for you?

Cheers,
James
Old 5 September 2014, 12:46 AM   #48
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congras! I'm looking forward to mine too. Haas...
Old 5 September 2014, 12:48 AM   #49
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Honest speaking, I think sometimes the dealer or Ad's service are not as good as one would think. For the money, I prefer me screwing up my own watch than someone else.
Old 5 September 2014, 09:41 AM   #50
cyhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ320 View Post
However, if you are picking up from the dealer why not have them size it for you?
I hope that they will size it for me. It is what I would call a watch broker, not a Patek AD. Having read this thread, I may know more about sizing it than they will, I have no idea. But regardless, cutting one segment at a time sounds time intensive, I thought I could get an idea of where I'd be so that I can narrow it down a little bit from the beginning before starting the one at a time thing.
cyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2014, 10:53 AM   #51
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I just re-sized my Aquanaut strap using this tutorial (razor blade instead of scissors, though), thanks for the info!

7" wrist, for starters I left 10 slots on the 12:00 side & 9 slots on the 6:00 side. It's pretty close...I'll leave it a little loose for a few weeks & see if I need to remove another slot from the 6:00 side. Good luck!
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2014, 02:08 PM   #52
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post

7" wrist, for starters I left 10 slots on the 12:00 side & 9 slots on the 6:00 side. It's pretty close...I'll leave it a little loose for a few weeks & see if I need to remove another slot from the 6:00 side. Good luck!

Same here. 7" wrist and I run 9 and 10. Also a little bit loose and I might go for 9 and 9 or 8 and 10. Will likely do it this weekend.

Greg

gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2014, 02:56 PM   #53
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
ok first i need to find myself a 5167:) R preferably!

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2014, 03:04 PM   #54
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Great tutorial!
Will be trying this on my wife's Aquanut

Sent from my 16M
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 08:25 AM   #55
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Old thread but pertinent...maybe make a sticky?
I would emphasize three things that have already been mentioned:
1) Keep it loose. The light weight of the Aquanaut on the rubber strap, combined with the texture of the strap, mean the watch will stay put even if it fits loosely.
2) Cut more from the 6 o'clock side to center the clasp. My wrist measures 7.5" or 19cm. I left 13 slots on the 12-side and 7 slots on the 6-side (including the slot holding the deployant spring bar). With the watch head resting centered on my arm, the buckle is actually just right of center on the opposite side of my arm. I think if I had gone 14 by 6 instead of 13 x 7, it would still be okay.
3) Your mileage may vary! You may, for example, have a wrist the same diameter as mine, but with a different shape. So go (cut) slowly and try the fit each time you cut a piece off.
There really is no reason to fear the process if you're careful.

Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 03:08 PM   #56
Tzehou
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing with pics. Appreciated. I'm cutting mine soon. Haaa...
Old 22 February 2015, 01:48 PM   #57
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

I cut mine with with 9 and 9 and it is perfect!
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2015, 06:34 PM   #58
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
it s time to get this reference into my collection

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 01:34 PM   #59
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I followed this instructions and did mine, life-saver!

I did leave mine perfectly centered and with a little extra room, I will wear it like this a for awhile and wait for hot weather before I cut (if I cut more).

The watch is so light that it barely moves, the strap does a great job of holding it in place. I was surprised at how large the strap is when new, it seems like too much.

I wear a lot of brown shoes and have a little OCD... Thinking about getting a brown strap from the RG model...
Old 5 March 2015, 12:49 AM   #60
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
please explain me , is it just a springbar which holds the strap in place in the clasp ?
any chance it slips out from its slot?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5167 , aquanaut , resizing , rubber strap , sizing