The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2019, 10:13 PM   #151
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Seems to depend where and how exactly you define craze...

Where I live you couldn't just buy a blue 5711 when I decided to get one in 2015. However, even as a walk-in w/o any AD relationship you could still get on a wait list w a little effort and get the call within 2-3 years max.

From what I hear the craze started slightly later in the US.
https://youtu.be/anKpvG3iy-o
Ya maybe US started slightly later. Nautilus collector from italian, video start from 21min old video published in 2011. I think the craze start from the italian first n slowly moved toward other side n peolple start to appreciate the beauty of the nautilus
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 10:19 PM   #152
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I would say sometime in the 2016 is when the watch started to disappear from the window displays.

In mid 2015 I had the choice between a Rolex and a 5712. I chose the Rolex; both second hand and both priced approximately the same. The Rolex had a higher retail price, and it was much more flashier (also a reason), so I went with that.
Haha, nothing wrong with ur decision its a great watch but hope u still get the 5712
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:21 AM   #153
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
If you're travelling with kids I'd give up on finding anywhere famous sushi-wise in Tokyo that will happily accept them. We are in Japan regularly and unless we can take a babysitter, it's our local Sushi no-Midori for the sushi.

Man, thank you for writing this. People don’t get that a kid is not really welcome in these kinds of high-end places.

If you are looking for good sushi and need to take a kid, I would recommend going to a restaurant in a hotel, as they are used to dealing with children. The sushi bar at the top of Toranomon Hills / Andaz comes to mind. The Grand Hyatt in Roppongi has Roku Roku, which is not hall of fame level, but will be okay with a kid.

Some other spots in general:

Matsukan in Azabu Juban is good intermediate level, and they are used to dealing with foreigners. A lot less pressure, and you don’t need to go omakase.

Sushi Sada near Mitsukoshi Nihonbashi is an experience. Super old school, and probably the least instragammable place in Tokyo. Everyone in there is over 60, but they are wizards. Specialty is boiled anglerfish liver that somehow tastes like foie gras.

Sushiko Honten in Ginza prob my favorite. This was featured on season 6 of “Parts Unknown” when Anthony Bourdain was rolling around Tokyo with chef Masa. Restaurant is like 150 years old... just a cool experience.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:38 AM   #154
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A971 View Post
Sushi Sada near Mitsukoshi Nihonbashi is an experience. Super old school, and probably the least instragammable place in Tokyo. Everyone in there is over 60, but they are wizards. Specialty is boiled anglerfish liver that somehow tastes like foie gras.
My pleasure - the kids thing always upset me, but it's a cultural thing we just have to accept.

I will definitely check out Sushi Sada when I'm there sans kids. Most if not all of the best meals I've ever had in Tokyo (in Japan, really) have been in random back-streets, usually in a basement behind a nondescript door, in a place I just happened to stumble upon and could never find again. OAP chefs seem to be the one thread connecting them all.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 01:43 PM   #155
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Aquanaut prices seem to be softening. DavidSW is selling a 5167R for only 6k over MSRP. That’s a smaller gap than what most gray dealer Royal Oak 15500 are going for.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:23 PM   #156
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Aquanaut prices seem to be softening. DavidSW is selling a 5167R for only 6k over MSRP. That’s a smaller gap than what most gray dealer Royal Oak 15500 are going for.
Most are asking 3-4K over msrp on 15500 non blue
Old 13 October 2019, 03:49 PM   #157
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Steel is still well above retail, albeit not moving fast... but nothing seems to be turning over quickly right now. Days on hand seems to get longer and longer with grays bumping endlessly with the occasional price decrease. I wonder what the actual current equilibrium price for the 'hot watches' from the last 12 months is today and how much longer the grays can afford to sit on their inventory with so much capital tied up. Maybe they're going to switch their business model for 5711s and only sell on consignment going forward
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 06:36 PM   #158
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My pleasure - the kids thing always upset me, but it's a cultural thing we just have to accept.

I will definitely check out Sushi Sada when I'm there sans kids. Most if not all of the best meals I've ever had in Tokyo (in Japan, really) have been in random back-streets, usually in a basement behind a nondescript door, in a place I just happened to stumble upon and could never find again. OAP chefs seem to be the one thread connecting them all.
Not sure why this "upsets" you. I guess it depends on the age limit but a toddler just doesn't have the intellect or a pallet to differentiate from panda express or Michelin. If you are bringing a special "kid" that can appreciate the difference, I'm confident they'd be admitted. If it's the other 99% that just need to take their kids with them then the rule makes sense.

Been to many high level sushi spots in japan including Sukiyabashi Jiro. The last thing you want there is kids looking for a special menu to keep them occupied when you are in global sushi mecca. Just sayin, lots of alternatives for kids.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 08:04 PM   #159
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I think you’re overthinking it. I wish to have the best time with my family possible, and the culture dictates that we either be separated or have to compromise. It’s fair enough and we have accepted it as such, but I am absolutely permitted to wish it were otherwise.

That said, my seven year old has the most sophisticated of palates, and has charmed famous chefs in person with her knowledge and passion of flavors, ingredients and preparations. However I would not deny the others simply for her (as I would not deny them simply for my wife and I)... Japan has wonderful restaurants irrespective of level anyway, so we always eat well despite not being permitted beyond the hallowed doors...

I do however take issue with opinionated, entitled tourists telling us what would and would not ruin their “experience”. Your visit is no more important than anyone else’s. It’s like travellers who object to children in business or First class. You want absolute quiet? Fly private. If I pay, and children are not explicitly haram, my sprogs have exactly as much right to be there as you do, and my - and their - enjoyment is exactly as important. Get over yourself.
Old 13 October 2019, 08:21 PM   #160
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
My kid goes where I go. But she’s not a normal kid lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 08:37 PM   #161
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
The best kind...
Old 13 October 2019, 08:58 PM   #162
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Your kid owns a 5711/1A. Enough said
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 09:02 PM   #163
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Your kid owns a 5711/1A. Enough said
Lol. Hopefully next year we trade her up on the RM side. 029 to a bubba or something
Old 13 October 2019, 10:24 PM   #164
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Just saw on IG that the 5711 went for $77k at Sothebys auction in HK.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:00 PM   #165
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
$77k in Hong Kong- my prediction stays $100k in 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:03 PM   #166
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

Let’s go. I got 3... need 1 more 4 of a kind
Old 13 October 2019, 11:06 PM   #167
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Let’s go. I got 3... need 1 more 4 of a kind
Haha...I am stick with some GS (along with my new incoming) for Q4. Still waiting for my 2008 5711 blue to come back from service - with the geneve seal...I am drooling already.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 12:06 AM   #168
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha...I am stick with some GS (along with my new incoming) for Q4. Still waiting for my 2008 5711 blue to come back from service - with the geneve seal...I am drooling already.
Awaiting mine from service too.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 06:29 AM   #169
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Am I to understand that with Hong Kong in full riot mode a 5711 sold at Sotheby's for $77,000 U.S.? Does that mean that the crash in prices is over? Should I not have bought at the top and sold at the bottom?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 07:11 AM   #170
Raemondo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also try

Sushi Ginza Onodera across from NYC library

Place is good. I think Michelin Star now. Like 5 -10 lunch seatings.
Thanks! In NYC next week for a few days and we are trying EMP for the 1st time. Don’t think we have the stomach for sushi this time, but next time time for sure.
Old 14 October 2019, 07:21 AM   #171
Raemondo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never eaten at Onodera in New York, but the one in London is risible. (I may also hold a grudge against it for replacing the beloved Matsuri, the last grande dame of Japan's bubble over-exuberance to remain in the city.)

If you're downtown at all, Sushi Nakazawa in the West Village is fantastic. (Edited to say that Raemondo has exquisite taste ;) and that Yasuda is on the list next time I'm in NYC.)
Ha thanks! In Tokyo I’ve tried Sushi Iwa (my favorite because of the liberal use of uni), Sushi Kanesaka, Sushi Saito, and Sushi Sawada. Best non sushi restaurant I’ve tried is Ginza Kojyu for kaiseki.
Old 14 October 2019, 10:30 AM   #172
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Sothebys HK always sells way too high on Grail pieces.... check teh history of the sales on these pieces.
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 11:37 AM   #173
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

77k at auction... at Sothebys. So what did the seller net? Doesn't seem like a great price to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 01:00 PM   #174
TJMike
Banned

The watch was sold for $76,398. That includes the 25% buyer's premium. Without the premium, it is $57,298. Basically an average result.

There are a number of blue dials available on chrono for under $75k. The auction result is nothing to get excited about and actually shows that prices are trending downwards.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 02:37 PM   #175
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
The watch was sold for $76,398. That includes the 25% buyer's premium. Without the premium, it is $57,298. Basically an average result.

There are a number of blue dials available on chrono for under $75k. The auction result is nothing to get excited about and actually shows that prices are trending downwards.

Did you include the seller's commission in your equations. That is 10%, I believe.
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 03:14 PM   #176
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhawk View Post
Did you include the seller's commission in your equations. That is 10%, I believe.
I did not.
Old 14 October 2019, 03:19 PM   #177
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I thought that was the hammer's price (77k), and that should exclude the 25% buyer's premium?
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 04:04 PM   #178
Keldw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post

If winning bidder got the watch for $57,298, that would be pretty soft. But, winner paid close to $76,400 which I find hard to call soft for an 11 year old watch. In June Sothesby sold a 2014 for $75,000 all in.

Imo both are satisfying results.

KW

https://www.instagram.com/rlx_dk/
Keldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 04:44 PM   #179
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I thought that was the hammer's price (77k), and that should exclude the 25% buyer's premium?
Nope:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...hes-hk0892.pdf

It is lot 2184.
Old 14 October 2019, 04:56 PM   #180
TJMike
Banned

Just checking the sales forum; there is a blue dial 5711 from 2016, serviced in 2018, so under warranty until next year going for $66,800. The seller has re-listed the watch a few times since February.

DavidSW has a white dial for $55,575.

On chrono there are around 40 unworn 5711 from dealers with multiple reviews. There are also around 45 secondhand ones from similar dealers. The reality is there is a lot of stock and few buyers. Maybe buyers will come back in droves for the holiday season. Then again, people were saying they would be back once summer was over...