The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2019, 04:42 AM   #31
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1021 View Post

This is the one to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely this.

I would love a rose gold Nautilus to compliment my rose gold World Time.

Not really into the understated elegance of stainless. If I’m dropping this amount of cash on a Nautilus it has to be in rose gold. Go big or go home.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:48 AM   #32
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Definitely this.

I would love a rose gold Nautilus to compliment my rose gold World Time.

Not really into the understated elegance of stainless. If I’m dropping this amount of cash on a Nautilus it has to be in rose gold. Go big or go home.

Isn't the the P above that?
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:50 AM   #33
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
that is a clear decline. no competition. the AP shines on first glance from the outside but that is it. let us wait until they come up with a fully in-house chronological movement.
The trade offer was a joke. No one in their right mind would have accepted it :)

I decided against my full gold Royal Oak Chrono a year ago because of no in house movement, but after studying the Frederic Piguet 1185 Chrono movement for the past year and learning it it one of, if not the best, most accurate, refined, and reliable chrono movements on the market proven over nearly three decades, I had no issues pulling the trigger. Frederic Piguet was founded 1858, about 17 years before Audemars Piguet and are literally down the street in Le Brassus and produce legendary chronograph movements. In house may be slightly more collectible, but not necessarily better. I’ve read too many horror stories about the Patek chrono movements not resetting to 12 o’clock and needing warranty service. I would never buy a first generation AP in house Chrono for the same reason I’d never buy a first model year new car as it is going to inevitably have at least some issues over time.
Old 10 October 2019, 04:51 AM   #34
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Attachment 1076641

This is a gorgeous pic. I am drooling.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:52 AM   #35
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
This is a gorgeous pic. I am drooling.

Indeed it is
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:53 AM   #36
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Naultilus View Post
Isn't the the P above that?
I don’t like platinum. I used to wear a platinum Tiffany wedding ring and the the ring was impossible to keep in good condition and basically looked like one just piece of brushed aluminum after a week of wear because it scratched and scuffed so easily. I’m all too familiar with soft rose gold easily scratching, but platinum in my experience is a whole new level of scratch magnet.
Old 10 October 2019, 04:55 AM   #37
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970

Mine says hi!!!

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 05:09 AM   #38
jag32
Banned

The 5980/1R-001 is my ultimate grail. Just wish it had the brown dial of the 5711/1R. For this reason, aesthetic is more important and I’d probably go 5711/1R instead.
Old 10 October 2019, 05:19 AM   #39
bob101
"TRF" Member

Take any you can get for sure but like Ninja I prefer the slim profile Nauts. The 5726 doesn't get much wrist time. The 5712 is perfect and dont want to take it off.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:51 AM   #40
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
The trade offer was a joke. No one in their right mind would have accepted it :)

I decided against my full gold Royal Oak Chrono a year ago because of no in house movement, but after studying the Frederic Piguet 1185 Chrono movement for the past year and learning it it one of, if not the best, most accurate, refined, and reliable chrono movements on the market proven over nearly three decades, I had no issues pulling the trigger. Frederic Piguet was founded 1858, about 17 years before Audemars Piguet and are literally down the street in Le Brassus and produce legendary chronograph movements. In house may be slightly more collectible, but not necessarily better. I’ve read too many horror stories about the Patek chrono movements not resetting to 12 o’clock and needing warranty service. I would never buy a first generation AP in house Chrono for the same reason I’d never buy a first model year new car as it is going to inevitably have at least some issues over time.
That black dial of mine in the picture had a problem in three months. Chrono hand didn’t reset, then the whole chrono malfunctioned, other minute an hour hand didn’t move and the chrono second hand wouldn’t budge. Fixed under warranty but I never trusted it after that and sold it. Also the pusher feeling is rather coarse and not at all smooth or easy to operate on the 5980. It’s a good looking watch but I’d be wary of a preowned no warranty at the inflated current prices.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 09:09 AM   #41
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
That black dial of mine in the picture had a problem in three months. Chrono hand didn’t reset, then the whole chrono malfunctioned, other minute an hour hand didn’t move and the chrono second hand wouldn’t budge. Fixed under warranty but I never trusted it after that and sold it. Also the pusher feeling is rather coarse and not at all smooth or easy to operate on the 5980. It’s a good looking watch but I’d be wary of a preowned no warranty at the inflated current prices.
Yeah, this is exactly what I’m afraid of on a new “in house” Chrono from any brand. The FP 1185 actuation on my Royal Oak Chrono feel sensational and unlike any other Chrono out there. I also have strong confidence in this chrono given the 30 year history of the movement being proven and constantly refined, and AP took it a step further and enhanced them for the RO. The Chrono actuation on the 5980 I was playing with a few weeks ago also felt very course, stuff, and unrefined like a Tudor Chrono.