The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 February 2022, 02:26 PM   #1
Greglaw
Banned

Revaulation

I don’t care what they are worth, what you so called gray dealers want...good luck to you all whether you have the money...because TRF people love bragging about it or how smart they are with respect to the market, etc.

I am focusing on family, not your stupid prices or market value. The new cool kids, whoever you are, have ruined watch collecting for me, not just me, but, I will only speak for myself. It used to be fun. No longer. For me at least.

Gray dealers, market prices, etc. I am out. I am sure I will get the usual d bags waving bye bye but I was all in. Loved Rolex. But now to buy, trade, its foolish, I have had many over the years. Loved the brand. No longer. I am sure no one cares but I feel better saying it.

Been a collector since 1999. FYI.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 02:27 PM   #2
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
...Okie Dokie
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 02:33 PM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
I don’t care what they are worth, what you so called gray dealers want...good luck to you all whether you have the money...because TRF people love bragging about it or how smart they are with respect to the market, etc.

I am focusing on family, not your stupid prices or market value. The new cool kids, whoever you are, have ruined watch collecting for me, not just me, but, I will only speak for myself. It used to be fun. No longer. For me at least.

Gray dealers, market prices, etc. I am out. I am sure I will get the usual d bags waving bye bye but I was all in. Loved Rolex. But now to buy, trade, its foolish, I have had many over the years. Loved the brand. No longer. I am sure no one cares but I feel better saying it.
See ya.
Old 2 February 2022, 02:36 PM   #4
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I went back to look at your old threads. You've had some great watches and it seems you cleared out the collection in 2020?

Maybe if you hadn't been buying, selling and trading and 'cleared out the collection, you might feel a bit differently?

You have had some of my favorite watches. My guess is you are stressed maybe about other things other than something other than Rolex watches.

Feel better.
Old 2 February 2022, 02:54 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Join the club Greg.
Old 2 February 2022, 02:55 PM   #6
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

I think its worth pointing out, you're a Rolex Collector, not a Watch Collector
If you fix that, you might find yourself less frustrated
Old 2 February 2022, 03:05 PM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
OP, I started buying watches 20+ years before you. Retired last year and am enjoying what I have more than just seeking more. I’ve also realized the vast majority of people really don’t care what watch you wear or even that you have one. I suggest you appreciate the watches you have and remember why you bought them, forget the current hype market.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:19 PM   #8
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Everyone is stressed out beyond belief. They say that we are facing a mental health crisis of epic proportions as we progress through this global pandemic. Over 65% of all employees that were interviewed, young and old, in every industry, have said they are either actively looking for a new job or are about to begin searching. It's insane.

Long story short, go find your happy place. Take up a different hobby or focus on a new sport or one that you already love doing for a year and then come back to watches later. Let this insanity pass. The door will always be open and a cold beer waiting for you at your spot at the bar!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:32 PM   #9
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Trust me OP, it’s still fun. I’m sorry that you’re not having fun anymore. It sounds like all in was too much for you. I hope you find the peace you seek.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:48 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
…but I was all in. Loved Rolex.
I’m not all in, I’m only moderately in. Maybe that’s why the current state of affairs doesn’t bother me.

Branch out to other brands. If you truly love watches, not just Rolex, there’s still a lot of joy to be had.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:48 PM   #11
waterking
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster II
Watch an episode of Perry Mason...it'll make you feel better.
Sincerely, Dbag.
waterking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:58 PM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Bye Felicia
Old 2 February 2022, 04:18 PM   #13
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I’m not all in, I’m only moderately in. Maybe that’s why the current state of affairs doesn’t bother me.
I'm on the waiting list to be "moderately in"
I'm not too bothered about it either, tbh
Old 2 February 2022, 09:10 PM   #14
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:

I am focusing on family, not your stupid prices or market value.
I think your plan is solid. Contrary to what some people believe, watches don't make one smarter or more attractive. A $10 watch tells what time it is just like a $100,000 watch.

It's better to follow your own path in life than to be the slave to other peoples faults perceptions.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 09:24 PM   #15
Jojomojo
Banned

When I gave my daughter a $20 unicorn watch she jumped up and down out of joy. She was definitely much happier than when I got my Daytona. Don't let the hobby ruin your life, if it pisses you off time to call it quit.

The grey dealers & flippers are f-ing the market 24/7. 1 dealer i followed, has the same unsold diamon-oysterflex daytona for sale $50k months ago, today he's putting it up for $70k. Whoever buy it off from him must have IQ less than 50. So that's what the market has come down to, greys are waiting for whoever is the most stupid enough to pay.

That said, I'm enjoying the current Zenith lines. U get steep discounts too. U should check it out.
Jojomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 09:32 PM   #16
THC

Watch: 16610M
Greg, try a Tudor.. the GMT is terrific
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 09:47 PM   #17
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
I empathise with OP's sentiments. Good to zoom out sometimes and focus on what's really important in this life.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 09:51 PM   #18
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Wow, tell us how you really feel...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 09:58 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Ok. It is what we make it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:05 PM   #20
Flint
"TRF" Member

I care Greg , I completely understand your anger/ disillusionment at the current situation and agree with your comments
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:16 PM   #21
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
It’s still fun for me….somewhat. But it’s definitely become disappointing. I’ve concentrated lately on my other passion/hobby/collection….automobiles. I agree with others…just enjoy what you have, 99% of the world doesn’t care what watch you’re wearing, or about watches in general. And yes….the grey dealers have become EXTREMELY greedy (guess I can’t blame them given the market), but if this ever goes back to where they are the ones having to sell at retail or below… I will haunt them and say….. THATS WHAT YOU GET! :)
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:20 PM   #22
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm not really a collector, as I wear the same watch every day. For 30 years it was a DJ. For the last 5 it's been a Daytona. Coming to TRF, where I used to go to learn more about mechanical watches and Rolexes in particular, is certainly not what it was just a few years ago. Going into ADs is not what it was. I haven't stepped foot in an AD in almost three years.

That said, if you enjoy the way TRF used to be, try some of the sub-sections other than Rolex. Rolex is 80-90% about prices, trends, how to buy, complaining (like this post), etc. The PP, AP, other brand sub-sections tend to actually discuss watches! It's not so monotonous!

Anyway, I completely understand your feelings, but it seems like TRF - Rolex forum is the absolute worst place to look for horological joy. Look elsewhere and you may still enjoy it, even if the potential buying experience is not worth wading into.
Old 2 February 2022, 10:47 PM   #23
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojomojo View Post
When I gave my daughter a $20 unicorn watch she jumped up and down out of joy. She was definitely much happier than when I got my Daytona. Don't let the hobby ruin your life, if it pisses you off time to call it quit.

The grey dealers & flippers are f-ing the market 24/7. 1 dealer i followed, has the same unsold diamon-oysterflex daytona for sale $50k months ago, today he's putting it up for $70k. Whoever buy it off from him must have IQ less than 50. So that's what the market has come down to, greys are waiting for whoever is the most stupid enough to pay.

That said, I'm enjoying the current Zenith lines. U get steep discounts too. U should check it out.
Well, that $70,000.00 is 'pocket change' to many.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:53 PM   #24
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
First world problems
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 11:23 PM   #25
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Neat
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 11:28 PM   #26
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I totally hear you. I’ve taken a different approach, realizing that I won’t change the world but won’t let it change me either!

I choose not to open MANY posts on here as they’re not for me yet I respect that it’s someone else’s top priority.
Has the hype, social media and grey dealers change watch collecting? Absolutely yes, but has it opened my eyes to other brands, other hobbies and other interests beside rolex, absolutely YES!!! I now have pieces (non-hyped watches) in my collection that I wouldn’t have looked twice at if I had every rolex available in the case, yet they are a lot better and finer horology than many Rolex watches.

Glass half full: I appreciate what this change in the watches world has opened my eyes to true fine craftsmanship, not just hype.

I don’t post on every other thread with $$££€€ symbols, or keep cussing social media as I understand those are important to someone else

Point is, I read, comment and share what relates to me and steer away from what doesn’t, but don’t have to bash on them!!
It’s a free world!!!
Old 2 February 2022, 11:29 PM   #27
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I wonder how many more like Greg are disillusioned , I would guess many TRF members feel the same . Too much talk about investment , market prices , two recent posts " David SW Running out of Daytona to sell " SS Panda Daytona-C hits 50k " even post about Crypto currency ! These are perfect examples of the smug arrogance and greed which is much apparent on this forum .
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 11:42 PM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
One's focus should always be on family.

It's good to see you re-focusing on what's important...truly, I wish more people would do that.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 11:43 PM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post

Branch out to other brands. If you truly love watches, not just Rolex, there’s still a lot of joy to be had.
This 100%

Good luck to you Greg
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 11:45 PM   #30
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
One's focus should always be on family.

It's good to see you re-focusing on what's important...truly, I wish more people would do that.
Re-focus on family from interest in watches?

If that even needed to be done, it speaks more to the individual than anything to do with watches.

I wonder if drinking and posting are at play with this rant or even Ambien influenced?