The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 16 January 2019, 08:28 AM   #1
ColtAuto7
"TRF" Member

Watch: A 16613 "Blue Boy"
Los Angeles International Pen Show - Feb. 14-17

This show takes place February 14 through 17 and they've a website which provides all necessary details. The exhibitors are numerous, the hotel is nice and, on the one occasion I attended (2017) there were perhaps three tables with small displays of watches. Unfortunately and for reasons of which I am unaware their admission policy towards the average collector and user of these items seems decidedly unfriendly. I'll explain.

The final day of the show has always been the only day open to the 'general public'. By that I mean the eight dollar admission fee applies only to that one day. Should one wish to attend Thursday through Saturday it is necessary to pay the "trader admission" fee of $55.00 ($65.00 if submitted after January 15). This I did two years ago and found it to be worthwhile as I went on a Friday. While the hall quickly filled there wasn't any trouble walking about nor of standing before a table or engaging with an exhibitor. I was told Sundays are packed with crowds at tables often three-plus deep.

It comes to me as this is written the "trader admission" policy is possibly a form of crowd management.

That said and if you can be one of the first admitted, it is possible to have a nib ground or a pen repaired, but these services quickly fill and it may prove necessary to wait until late in the day for your item to receive service. Gregorian script and other seminars are offered as part of the admission. For those familiar with their website or podcasts, the Anderson's from Anderson Pens have been there and Mike Masuyama can sometimes fit your work into that day being completed. I like the event. Were I not now retired I'd not only attend but also spend the night on Thursday. The bar area on each of the show nights is filled with exhibitors and attendees talking pens, paper, ink, wine and cigars.

Somewhat akin, I'd guess, to a Watch-Get-Together.
ColtAuto7 is offline   Reply With Quote