The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 10:40 PM   #181
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvd View Post
The other thing I wonder is if there were hobby collecting or luxury markets that took a down turn with the last recession, that never really recovered.
Most
Old 26 February 2019, 03:03 AM   #182
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
when modern rolex sport models stop selling, that's when I would start to worry about their vintage counterparts...

There will always be younger generations of collectors who are interested in antiquities, art and anything else in between. It's all History and people who love history will always be interested in vintage anything.

Bubble backs cannot be compared to vintage rolex sport models. They took a nosedive because Rolex doesn't make them any longer there for they are no longer relevant. The size and style became awkward for many compared to modern day watches. So many lost interest

That's my 2 cents.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 06:35 AM   #183
swizznanaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: AirKing 116900
I'm newer to collecting watches and just from my personal interest and all I have learned friends and colleagues are diving in just as deep as I am. Also with all the Social media and how trends are in general, there is only limited vintage stock that can be passed around. Imagine mint "museum" quality as you say will only be that much more rare. Most people get watches passed down or recall what watch was their grandfathers/fathers favorite and have a sentimental value as well as the pure mechanical/ indestructible brilliance. I feel as long as its a luxury it will never die, fluctuation will always occur as anything else. I enjoy a nice gold chain and a watch for everyday wear.Depending on model/Brand I believe vintage is a very good way to get into well made luxury pieces that will last a long time. I look at it as , a nice car will last a solid 10 years, a nice watch a lifetime! I feel vintage is strong today because of the value. Most vintage Rolex's are very high priced but if you enjoy it an it will last a lifetime, live it and love it.
swizznanaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 08:52 AM   #184
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Lots of good and differing points of view here.

I can only go from my own real world experiences.
Not a Doom & Gloomer since I just bought two vintage pieces recently but do I think prices will continue to spike straight up, I would venture to say no. Will our vintage Rolexes become worthless or devalue to pennies on the dollar like my wife's collectable Yaldros and Laliques and other antiques that I see my friends stuck with when their parents passed away! Absolutely not.

From what I see is that the successful Baby Boomers can buy what they want be it either Modern or Vintage, most likely vintage since most people can't get a modern sports watch anymore. My daughter's age group of 27 into early 30s are most likely just now getting established family wise and financially and I see this with my friend's children as well as with my children that they are very much into Rolex. Would my daughters turn down a Rolex from the 90s, absolutely not as long as it had the right look, MOP dial and diamonds! Would she much rather have a newer modern model yes of course she would. The point being is that there is demand now from multi generations and the fact that younger people desire and covet Rolex will mean prices will see support at some level during any financial pullback.

So when I bought my watches I bought with two things in mind. I went by the saying in the art world of only buying what you love seeing hanging on your wall cause that's where it might be the only place it's worth something. And the other is that when I buy or sell something I picture two nails in a wall. One 6" from the top and one 6" from the bottom. I feel you can never buy at the exact bottom and you never sell at the exact top. I do feel I bought close to the top nail but I'm not concerned because I absolutely love the watches I bought and they make me feel like a million bucks when I wear them.

My next watch will hopefully be bought nearer to the lower nail, will I get the opportunity? No one knows for sure. But I think it's now a game of patience. I'm happy with my two watches so if I don't get the opportunity I'm fine and if I do, that would be great.

One thing I do know is that the fact that my kids want absolutely nothing to do with any of my wife's collectables and want everything to do with Rolex makes me feel that Rolex value is not going too far south. In fact my kids have told us to make sure that we sell ALL of those things before we depart planet earth since they want nothing to do with having to try to sell them and most likely would just give them away, but don't sell the Rolexes they were very clear about!

Newer generations may not have the lust for beautiful time pieces as we do but for now I think it's a safe bet that when the time comes you'll be able to sell or pass down your Rolex rather than rather than having them viewed as a burden to be disposed of like my wife's collectables from yester years.

Oh by the way how many of you have Sterling Silver sets from when you got married? We stopped using ours many years ago but saved them to give to our children when they got married. My eldest daughter was like are you kidding! Don't even think of giving me that stuff ever! So now I am trying to sell them to put towards the watch fund! That's why I'm hoping for lower nail prices cause I ain't getting much for Yladros, Laliques and Sterling these days!
Tavli3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 09:35 AM   #185
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
It's doubtful anyone alive on this forum..has ever experienced anything remotefully like the depression of the 1920's..
If this returns ..its endgame for a lot of companies..
Back to basics..like bread and water..lol..
When the money stops.. as it will some day..everything will reconfigure..
Wow, I hope not. It seems like like yesterday people were living the Days of Wrath."

Now, back on topic.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 10:57 AM   #186
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Wow, I hope not. It seems like like yesterday people were living the Days of Wrath."

Now, back on topic.
No kidding!! And if memory serves, I’m quite certain the Depression was in the 1930s.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 11:54 AM   #187
descartes
"TRF" Member

There’s a lot of really crappy vintage (four digit) examples selling (somehow) for outrageous prices...And some really nice, original modern (5 digit) watches selling for fair and reasonable prices. I have been focused on the later in the last year or so.
Old 14 April 2019, 03:51 PM   #188
watchcaravan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
If anything I think vintage Rolex collecting is on the rise these days
watchcaravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #189
1665fan
"TRF" Member

When are the 16520 going to start rising in price again???
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote