The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 September 2018, 07:06 AM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

How easy is it to magnetise a watch ?

Not strictly a Rolex query as it relates to my AP diver - but figured the watchtech sub-forum was the right place. A few days ago I put the dial side of my diver very close to a magnet (quite by accident as it was embedded in a piece of equipment and I inadvertently held my wrist briefly against it)

It would have been close enough to have been within the magnetic field, but as of yet I see zero evidence that the watch has been magnetised.

I gather the ROO line has a built in anti magnetic inner case but just how well does this type of design shield the movement?

Curious how this may compare to something like a Milgauss which is specially designed for magnetic fields.

As a more general query - Anything else other than major deviations on timekeeping which may show a watch is magnetised ?

Could running a known to be magnetised watch cause unseen damage to the movement ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:33 PM   #2
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 DateJust
If you do not notice any deviation in time, then I would not worry about it. But, to answer some of your questions. Depends, where and what part(s) of the watch gets magnetized. I think most modern day watches have hairsprings of various alloys that are fairly resistant to magnetization, thought not to say they can't become magnetized. Will a magnetized watch become damaged over time? Well, if the magnetization puts undue stress on parts because of resistance, then I suppose it's feasible. But I would think that if the magnetization was so strong to cause possible damage, the wearer would not tolerate the time loss/gain and would have it repaired before any long-term ill effects would be considered? A simple way to test is to place a watch under a compass. Observe how much the needle moves. Some small movement is normal as any ferrous metal (magnetized or not) will cause a sensitive compass needle to move to some degree). If you are super worried about it, you can buy a watch demagnetizer and just run the watch through it.

I once had a a head-scratching issue with a pocket watch gaining time due to magnetization of the hairspring. I could not figure it out until one day a light bulb came on. I generally wear the pocket watch in a suit pocket. When I sit down the watch was right above my cell phone case on my belt. The case had a strong magnetic flap to keep the flap closed. Yep, that will do it. At any rate, if you are not having issues with time accuracy, just wear and enjoy the watch. Cheers! -Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Not strictly a Rolex query as it relates to my AP diver - but figured the watchtech sub-forum was the right place. A few days ago I put the dial side of my diver very close to a magnet (quite by accident as it was embedded in a piece of equipment and I inadvertently held my wrist briefly against it)

It would have been close enough to have been within the magnetic field, but as of yet I see zero evidence that the watch has been magnetised.

I gather the ROO line has a built in anti magnetic inner case but just how well does this type of design shield the movement?

Curious how this may compare to something like a Milgauss which is specially designed for magnetic fields.

As a more general query - Anything else other than major deviations on timekeeping which may show a watch is magnetised ?

Could running a known to be magnetised watch cause unseen damage to the movement ?
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyer View Post
If you do not notice any deviation in time, then I would not worry about it. But, to answer some of your questions. Depends, where and what part(s) of the watch gets magnetized. I think most modern day watches have hairsprings of various alloys that are fairly resistant to magnetization, thought not to say they can't become magnetized. Will a magnetized watch become damaged over time? Well, if the magnetization puts undue stress on parts because of resistance, then I suppose it's feasible. But I would think that if the magnetization was so strong to cause possible damage, the wearer would not tolerate the time loss/gain and would have it repaired before any long-term ill effects would be considered? A simple way to test is to place a watch under a compass. Observe how much the needle moves. Some small movement is normal as any ferrous metal (magnetized or not) will cause a sensitive compass needle to move to some degree). If you are super worried about it, you can buy a watch demagnetizer and just run the watch through it.

I once had a a head-scratching issue with a pocket watch gaining time due to magnetization of the hairspring. I could not figure it out until one day a light bulb came on. I generally wear the pocket watch in a suit pocket. When I sit down the watch was right above my cell phone case on my belt. The case had a strong magnetic flap to keep the flap closed. Yep, that will do it. At any rate, if you are not having issues with time accuracy, just wear and enjoy the watch. Cheers! -Norm
Thanks for the reply - its been keeping excellent time since, so think I must have managed to avoid any ill effects

Good to know the additional information too !! these pesky magnets, they seem to be embedded in so many things these days.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 8 September 2018, 07:48 AM   #4
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

very easy to magnetise a watch
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 02:54 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
very easy to magnetise a watch
All you need is an iPad
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 08:53 PM   #6
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
All you need is an iPad
jij probeert de smartphone generatie de kop in te drukken?
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 08:59 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
jij probeert de smartphone generatie de kop in te drukken?
Natuurlijk!
Old 22 September 2018, 09:16 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I will remind you guys this is a english speaking forum,and IMHO most Rolex watches only about 1 in 20 with so called being magnetised are actually magnetised.Most are nothing more than wanting regulation, again IMHO magnification is often used today as a cope out for regulation.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 04:44 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I will remind you guys this is a english speaking forum,and IMHO most Rolex watches only about 1 in 20 with so called being magnetised are actually magnetised.Most are nothing more than wanting regulation, again IMHO magnification is often used today as a cope out for regulation.
We do see magnetised watches quite regularly, especially older ones.
Old 23 September 2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Does an inner iron cores provide much resistance ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 23 September 2018, 09:15 AM   #11
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
The easiest way I’ve found is to duct tape it to the side of a 460 3- phase motor for a couple hours.

That completely magnetized it.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote