The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 August 2018, 11:54 AM   #121
chows99
"TRF" Member

If a financial crisis does come eventually (since we are in the longest bull run), prices may come down but the most significantly, more mint condition watches may come to the market as people need their cash flow.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2018, 05:29 PM   #122
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
You talk like a man that’s never experienced the sharp end of financial hardship. Either personally (bankruptcy, illness etc) or collectively (recession, natural disaster etc).
In which case you’re very lucky and by no means an average collector or Every Man.

Demand does ebb and flow for lots of reasons, as do qualifying life events. Declaring so confidently that there will always be demand, or that you’ll always be in a position to drop $10k+ on a watch feels like tempting fate...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
I work hard in an average job to be able to buy a luxury watch. But if could buy my grail watch for 10k instead of an astronomical price wich i can 't pay. I would do it.

And i do thank God for not being sick, yes
4rnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2018, 05:35 PM   #123
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Because they are going to be losers any Day now by your logic above.What I’m trying to say is that if You TRULY thought all vintage Watches Where losers that you would have sold out by now.You can say Money doesn’t matter all You want,We all know it does.
I said great vintage may be sustainable and strong. Great pieces wont get much cheaper as long as we don’t have a financial crisis which hurts most things in life. Perhaps it is my english skills but when I say that I doubt anyting vintage will appreciate I meant that that average stuff that ain’t rare will continue up as it has. I don’t think it will. A standard run of the mill matte sub from the 70’s is not likely to cost 50-100k any time soon while a great condition gilt will.
Old 29 August 2018, 09:45 AM   #124
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
Only an anecdote...I was in Monterey, CA for Car Week a few days ago and stopped in Fourtane. The case holding vintage Rolex sports watches is at the very front of the shop, and on the opposite side are the vintage Rolex dress watches (Day-Date, Datejust,etc.). The entire length of the case holding the sports watches was shoulder-to-shoulder with customers and three deep. The other cases holding contemporary Rolex watches and other high-end brand luxury timepieces were given only a passing glance. The whole thing was extraordinary to see. To be clear, I was in the store for all of 20 minutes or so, and the episode I'm speaking
of here occurred two days before the Saturday GTG.
Last point: the buyers-to-be (and lookiloos) were truly an international group.
Old 1 September 2018, 08:38 AM   #125
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
On a long enough timeline, everything is dying.

My concern is how it will be doing in the next 20 or thirty years, because I don't think I will make it past that.

I'm pretty sure my family will sell all of them after I'm gone, and I'd like to see them get a good price.

I just hope they don't sell them for what I said I paid!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 09:35 PM   #126
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
On a long enough timeline, everything is dying.

My concern is how it will be doing in the next 20 or thirty years, because I don't think I will make it past that.

I'm pretty sure my family will sell all of them after I'm gone, and I'd like to see them get a good price.

I just hope they don't sell them for what I said I paid!

You should catalogue them on your computer and keep the price up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 09:41 PM   #127
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
Eventually, prices will be too enticing for many “regular” collectors, like me, not to cash in, with many of the nicest examples ending up in the vast collections of the truly wealthy. And for the most part, there they will stay. This happened with the earliest references, and the gilt dials after that, and now the mattes.

Someday the five digits will be what most people refer to when talking about vintage.

Excellent point

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 10:32 PM   #128
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
not at all, the pangs for a 1601 and a 1016 are growing for me
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:07 PM   #129
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
look at Bubble Backs and what happened to that market. look at stamps. look at antiques. i know the prevailing 'wisdom' on this board is that prices never go down and there will always be a place for top quality vintage Rolex. the fact is, tastes change with time; 50% price gains per year is unsustainable; high quality fakes can ruin markets.

i purchased a 16750 matte dial 10 years ago for $1750. the reference is worth nearly 10x that amount today. anything that goes up that fast can come down just as quickly. if the price goes to $25k in 2 years and im sitting on a couple watches worth $>50k, would i get more enjoyment out of the watches or a used 911? at some point, i will sell everything if this insanity keeps up.

and i dont care what others on here think, these Veblen goods are going to get hammered during the next recession. there are WAY too many people speculating on these for anything besides a massive correction to occur when the world economy hits the next downturn.
This is likely the accurate perspective. Just like the classic car market...values change as tastes change of the buyers. Right now you have non-watch collectors investing in watches which props up the market even more.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:57 PM   #130
vbob
"TRF" Member

I think it all has to do with the passage of time I'm 73 years old I have seen this happen to camera, audio/stereo my other hobbies as well. We have an affinity for these objects because we grew up with them but the younger folks get the time and take pictures and listen to music off of their iphones!
vbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 12:30 AM   #131
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interestingly, evidence suggests price and interest in cool collectibles is generational.

Interest in 30’s and 40’s antique cars is in terminal decline; more to do with the age of the enthusiasts than parts availability. Try selling one of these today...

Interest in 50’s and 60’s muscle cars, E-Types, MGs, is declining as fewer boomers can maintain and enjoy them. And their grand kids don’t want them.

Iconic 80’s and 90’s cars are hot with GenXers (911s, 280SLs, Audi Quatros, Lancia Integrales).

There are still enthusiastic collectors of vintage pocket watches but they’re aging and facing the down sizing dilemma. The market for these is shrinking and they can be tough to sell.

I think there are valid parallels...

This I think has some very good pointers of why certain vintage models within brands have become hot and how it changes over time.
Added to this supply vs demand and increase of incomes/demand out of Asia in the last 20 years explains a lot.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 08:53 AM   #132
twnturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT/1680 MKIV
So your saying in 20 yrs the kids of today will be collecting Apple watches :)
TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Day Date
Bell & Ross BR03-92
twnturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:31 AM   #133
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnturbo View Post
So your saying in 20 yrs the kids of today will be collecting Apple watches :)

Have you seen what a NOS Gameboy with B&P changes hands for these days? Or a mint 1st Gen iPod?

MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 01:59 PM   #134
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=MorningTundra;8952300]Have you seen what a NOS Gameboy with B&P changes hands for these days? Or a mint 1st Gen iPod?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No I haven't.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 02:19 AM   #135
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Is vintage collecting a dying hobby?

The one difference between the classic/muscle/90s car comparison is that there’s drastic aesthetic changes between all those and each generation prefers what they grew up with. A vintage GMT from the 60s is very aesthetically similar to one from today.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 03:47 AM   #136
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
Well in The Netherlands it is getting quite populair among the youth got a lot to do with the social media Amsterdam vintage watches is doibg.
Old 24 September 2018, 03:53 AM   #137
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
the opportunity has been greatly reduced for anyone of limited means.
Old 24 September 2018, 08:10 PM   #138
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
the opportunity has been greatly reduced for anyone of limited means.

Lots of interest in vintage Tudors from younger collectors. Date and Day-Dates are still relatively affordable.

Old 25 September 2018, 12:08 PM   #139
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Nor have I

[QUOTE=springer;8952488]
Quote:
Have you seen what a NOS Gameboy with B&P changes hands for these days? Or a mint 1st Gen iPod?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No I haven't.
My red sub seems as desirable as ever... at least to me!

And I want to add a vintage GMT.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:33 PM   #140
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Date and Day-Dates are still relatively affordable.
Yup. These are great options for anyone wanting to get in before everything becomes unobtanium.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:01 AM   #141
michael23
"TRF" Member

I don't think it will ever die to be honest. Not any time soon anyway (at least another 20 years). The world of social media have just begun and more and more people (young and old) are getting interested in vintage watches. As many have mentioned it's mainly the only jewelry most men wear and it's functionality can't really be compared with vintage cars because it tells the time just as well (or well enough) as modern watches but vintage cars is not as easy to be used in modern world. Also, the most important thing is obviously because these watches are not made anymore and cannot in anyway be replicated or recreated.
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 07:31 AM   #142
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
From my experience there are a lot of ”young” people buying quality pieces. Many of the most knowledgable people I know are young. I really don’t see this as a dying hobby. I do however see some old school watch collectors feeling that their hobby got hi-jacked with new collectors, Instagram etc.
You should go read the posts on this topic at Omega Forum. They are openly hostile, even in other members' for sale listings.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 07:53 AM   #143
R!$
Banned

New models like the SD43, Pepsi, & Daytona Ceramic are modern iterations of the 1680, 1675, & 6241

These peak prices will be corrected soon enough
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 06:16 AM   #144
ExPADIdiver
"TRF" Member

Vintage market in toilet now. Buy Buy Buy
ExPADIdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 08:45 AM   #145
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

Not sure it's dying in Asia...prices in Sing, Indonesia and HK are at premium compare to Europe and US. I've seen 20 something flashing their VR while driving exotic cars. If there will be a crash, the rich will eat up what's on offer thus creating relatively fast rebound. Actually this was the case after 08 crash according to one Japanese magazine. It have graphs of the Rolex prices based on models and rebound is relatively swift. Just a comparison, my 6980 recovered after 10 years to reach pre crash price while my simple P series 16610 recovered after 2 years going upwards thereafter.
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 10:47 AM   #146
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Why is it any different than any other collectible? Classic cars? Baseball cards? I’d say that our vintage watches mean far more in many ways. And they work and function. I didn’t buy for an investment but doubt they will lose value over the long haul. Just another guy with an opinion.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 01:32 PM   #147
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I don't want to be a collecter. In the real world (ok, for me) while trying to buy an older, not too old Gmt Pepsi @ 2000-2006 to wear and enjoy l found there were too many variables for me. l bought a new Blnr.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 09:21 PM   #148
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignace Worang View Post
Not sure it's dying in Asia...prices in Sing, Indonesia and HK are at premium compare to Europe and US. I've seen 20 something flashing their VR while driving exotic cars. If there will be a crash, the rich will eat up what's on offer thus creating relatively fast rebound. Actually this was the case after 08 crash according to one Japanese magazine. It have graphs of the Rolex prices based on models and rebound is relatively swift. Just a comparison, my 6980 recovered after 10 years to reach pre crash price while my simple P series 16610 recovered after 2 years going upwards thereafter.

Suggest they’ve become mainstream status symbols and investment assets. My original hypothesis being, the “hobby” may have peaked. The only “hobbiests” left have the means and connections to collect at the top end of the market. Those left scouring thrift stores and estate sales are pursuing a profit rather than a collection.

I’m not suggesting the market is dying just the “hobby” many of the old guys grew up with.

Old 25 October 2018, 09:30 PM   #149
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Suggest they’ve become mainstream status symbols and investment assets. My original hypothesis being, the “hobby” may have peaked. The only “hobbiests” left have the means and connections to collect at the top end of the market. Those left scouring thrift stores and estate sales are pursuing a profit rather than a collection.

I’m not suggesting the market is dying just the “hobby” many of the old guys grew up with.

Of course it is changing for the ones that started long time ago. With new price levels not everyone will be able to, or want to, continue with vintage Rolex. The good thing is that there are plenty of other brands to collect.

Even if I am mostly into vintage Rolex I still get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I see a great watch. Regardless brand. And that is not dependant on price. That is dependant on quality. No matter if it is an untouched Tissot or an awesome Patek Philippe.

I think the market is getting more stable. I still think great pieces have a bright future moneywise but I also think that some common models might move down a bit. Same goes for not perfect condition pieces.
Old 26 October 2018, 01:02 AM   #150
andy2518
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GW mk1
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSerna93 View Post
I am 25 and although I do wear an Apple Watch everyday for work and gym, my weekend go to is a mechanical watch. But you do have to see it from the eyes of someone younger. For some of us we came out of college in debt, we still have to buy a home, and put a lot of focus on savings and investments. Although many see watch collecting as an investment, it’s not nearly as easy to sell a watch as it is to pull money out of other investments. While I love Rolex I didn’t purchase my first one until last year (24 years old) simply because I couldn’t afford one. My initial collecting somewhere around 19/20 years old went straight into older Omegas because they not only look good but can be had for extremely fair prices. A lot of people of my generation look at Rolex more as a status symbol than the work of art that it is, and it’s truly up to older generations who do collect, to share the reasons why.
I am in the same boat as you Serna. Iv been a big fan of mechanical watches for years but as a young 18yr old who just moved out of his parents house to make his way in the world a 70/80's sports watch is not on the top of the to do list. Fast forward 6 years after working your way life to get yourself a job, house, (and of course a couple of Omega's, a JLC and a 16600) and I find my 'grail' 1665 GW MK1 (which I define as a watch which in the relative world is obtainable not a poster and a dream) selling from the dealer that I purchased the 16600 off. I went for it bringing in all the cash I had trading in my 16600 and have not looked back since, purely for the love of the watch.

Sure it is nice that it has gone up in value but on the contrary so have all the other models that I am interested in, which are now so far out my price range to own and that I may never be able to own them. If the market crashed I would be equally as happy having my 1665 drop in value but also be able to look at purchasing another model that I like.

It sometimes feels that the blame for the rising costs which price the WIS out of the market are blamed on people in their 20's with their lust for luxury to post on instagram as an act of showing off with no care in the world for the actual watch itself. I have been taking a browse though Burlington Arcade and other shops with wide eyes asking about the finer details of a piece and they seem to have the attitude that I don't about these things and just want a watch that looks like its brand new and will impress my mates with no regard for its history, dial, movement or originality.

However, I take solace in the forums where no one knows your age (until now) and you can browse among all the topics that you want to talk or know about and there is more than enough people that want to help you better your understanding. Its not place where you have to prove yourself or know more than someone else, have a 'Knowledge off' to show your serious. Just a group of people who share the same interest and like to post about it.

I just hope that the view of these people who think we see Drake and want a Rolex because he's got one that he raps about realise it doesn't apply to the whole 20's age group as some of us are enthusiasts, all be it new to the hobby, but we are still only young after all
andy2518 is offline   Reply With Quote