The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2018, 06:41 AM   #31
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
He probably has heard that a million times already, which is why he waved you off.
we were talking about the BLRO. it costs a third of the price of a family hatchback.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:45 AM   #32
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
we were talking about the BLRO. it costs a third of the price of a family hatchback.
Uh, OK.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:58 AM   #33
Hamstur
"TRF" Member

The whole premise of the model and question is weird. Even if he were a Rolex fan, you came off as a non-enthusiast by asking "how did you get it?" Well, you know about the friends & family AD priority, the high-rollers, the fake "AD list" game, and the $19K GD option. Also the comment about "very rare and very nice" ... also stating the obvious.

How would you reply if you were wearing a DaytonaC and a stranger asked "nice watch, how did you get it?" Would you engage that stranger to talk about wait lists and grey dealers, and how you make & spend so much that you are at the top of an AD's list? Would you admit to spending $5K above MSRP at a grey dealer, now talking for the complete public to hear you can afford $18K watche? Truth is you wouldn't know until in that situation.

It could have been completely different story if maybe you had a BLNR on, and had a natural opportunity to say hi and, assuming it wasn't crowded in there, say something more in context like "couldn't help but notice your GMT" while showing him your own wrist, and asking for a quick look because you've only seen the online pics that make it look purple and pink.
Hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:06 AM   #34
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstur View Post
The whole premise of the model and question is weird. Even if he were a Rolex fan, you came off as a non-enthusiast by asking "how did you get it?" Well, you know about the friends & family AD priority, the high-rollers, the fake "AD list" game, and the $19K GD option.

How would you reply if you were wearing a DaytonaC and a stranger asked "nice watch, how did you get it?" Would you engage that stranger to talk about wait lists and grey dealers, and how you make & spend so much that you are at the top of an AD's list? Would you admit to spending $5K above MSRP at a grey dealer? Truth is you wouldn't know until in that situation.

It could have been completely different story if maybe you had a BLNR on, and had a natural opportunity to say hi and, assuming it wasn't crowded in there, say something more in context like "couldn't help but notice your GMT" while showing him your own wrist, and asking for a quick look because you've only seen the online pics that make it look purple and pink.
to be honest; the thought process is a little deep He was wearing a new Pepsi, it is a hard to get steel GMT at the moment with a not so good looking bracelet.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:07 AM   #35
Rocket launcher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
I don’t care the premise shooing anyone away is just rude
Totally agree ..I may have at that point swore at him....and said the c word preceeding with the word ignorant...no need for it ...if you can't be nice to others then don't wear nice watches

I am still awaiting a watch enthusiast to say to me that's a fine Rolex Air-King you are wearing there while stood at the urinal...I would say I love it but wish I had a bigger sea dweller but at 40mm I am as happy as a man with a 40mm submariner as it's the same size ish
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:07 AM   #36
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i was at the Lion King this afternoon with my son in the west end (london). Some guy in the bathroom wearing a 44mm RG ROO tried to talk watches with me at the urinal . Totally weird but i guess its ok since it was only my watch he was checking out. Come to think about it, i have no excuse that i even know what watch he had on. Mine was a BLRO FWIW.

Its the situation, not necessarily the conversation being off limits.
This made me chuckle

It's much better to talk about your watches while urinating than ummmm " other " things??

A good thing he was looking at your wrists than " down there " haaaa!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:08 AM   #37
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I’m guilty of striking up conversation with strangers if I notice they have a nice/unique watch. It’s hit or miss.

I had a similar experience as the OP riding the train home after work one day. I was waiting by the doors for a minute or two with another gentleman, as we awaited our next stop. I noticed he had on a Patek 5740. Normally I wouldn’t say anything on a train ride home, but it’s not a watch you see everyday. So, I waited for him to glance in my direction and said “nice 5740”. He just looked at me for a second and looked away. Wasn’t even worth his time to have a reaction.

Another scenario, I was getting a new strap for my JLC deep sea alarm tribute at Jean Rousseau in nyc when a man came in with three watches, each getting a new, custom strap. I glanced over and he had a FP Journe utc, centigraphe and a tourbilloin. I felt compelled to ask about the tourbillion. He couldn’t have been nicer. We talked for 10 minutes and he even offered to help me source a Chrono Bleu from the boutique if I wanted.

Moral of my contrasting stories is everyone is different. Every situation is different. Some may call it rude. Some may call it being friendly. But, I would gladly encounter people like the person on the train, if it means that every once and a while i get to meet people like the guy I met while getting my watch strap.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:24 AM   #38
DowntotheLine
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116500LN
In Barcelona I could see someone taking such a specific comment the wrong way. He may have felt threatened like you were sizing him up especially if you weren’t wearing a Rolex yourself. I have had a couple of interactions but it just been “nice watch,” which either resulted in a quick gracious acknowledgement or a conversation. I had a passenger on one of my flights that noticed my BLNR in the boarding area and commented nice watch. I noticed as he was walking away he had a White Daytona C on, needless to say I grabbed him as he was deplaning and we BS’d about watches for a couple minutes and he went on his way.
DowntotheLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:27 AM   #39
DahMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
What wallet do you have? I'm curious!
A Louis Vuitton, monogram, present from wife, I had no juice with this particular airline, and didn’t have any precheck status.
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:31 AM   #40
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Totally agree ..I may have at that point swore at him....and said the c word preceeding with the word ignorant...no need for it ...if you can't be nice to others then don't wear nice watches
So people who do not like to be approached by randoms asking how they got their watch, should wear ugly watches?

If I had waved you away and you had started swearing and said the c word I would think you where some crazy psychopath.

Not everyone like to share personal information to randoms, and not everyone have the time to entertain nosy randoms either. I think if someone do not want to use their time on you, then you should have the decency to respect that.
Old 16 September 2018, 08:32 AM   #41
Rocket launcher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
If I had waved you away and you had started swearing and said the c word I would think you where some crazy psychopath.
No one should ever just wave a person away it is a sign of pure ignorance ....
To me it is a sign of get away I am better than you....it is from victorian times and from the raj
It is wrong

I will be honest I may not be rich ..but I am an honest law abiding person

I have seen children ..look at me and see me ad a waste of time picking up rubbish as a job and even say why do you do that when you can
Earn a pound less on benefits ... then I repeat benefits are not for me...I have been looked down upon all of my life by being brought up on a UK council estate by a single parent mother but I have 3 things in my life ..
1 a wife who loves me
2 ... 2 is correct a Tudor black bay red and a Rolex Air-King compared to other persons on this site they are rubbish watches ...but to me they are mine bought and payed for..it may have taken 6 years on minimum wage to get them but I love my twins..I have scrimped and saved for them......they are my girls and I love them
3. I am a son of a minor 3rd generation I could have been a minor myself but Margaret Thatcher finished the mines .when I was 16 and ready to go down the mines at the age of 16.she put 250.000 men in the north east of England on the dole (benefits) I am too proud to do that and if someone was to shoo me away I would sware at them ...it
No one will ever shoo me away its a derogatory remark it is the low of the low.

As for psychopath
I find that quite funny as my nickname during school was psycho
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:34 AM   #42
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
He stole it.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:35 AM   #43
ytsethunder
"TRF" Member

Was shopping in a health food shop and the young guy at the counter noticed my Black Bay. Ended up having a great chat for about fifteen minutes.

As someone on the other end of it, I think it’s great for this to happen (biased though, as I’m a WIS who spends far too long on watch forums). Will say that I prefer if someone starts a conversation over one of my more obscure (or just less recognisable) watches. For instance, I’m far more interested in talking to someone who notices my SKX or Black Bay than a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ytsethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:41 AM   #44
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

My subconscious watch obsessed brain took over thinking “well, we must talk about this” Sooo, I said, “that’s the new GMT Pepsi, very rare and very nice, how did you get it?”
IMO, you were doing fine until you asked the question at the end of your statement. Again, my opinion, it is a bit on the intrusive side. Next time, try saying something like, "hey, nice watch," or something similar and leaving it at that. If the owner wants to elaborate on how he got it, then he certainly will do so.

A couple of weeks ago, I admired a beautiful black ceramic Daytona on a car dealership manager...and the guy voluntarily told of the AD he had got it from, and it was a great conversation. Turns out we both had made purchases from the same place.

Not everyone is so ready to give out details of their purchase history, however.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:42 AM   #45
rolleyme
"TRF" Member

Watch: 326935; 126715
I was at a dimsum restaurant and the dimsum server (old lady) said nice watch.. that must cost 10k. It was a PM skydweller. I just said yea, thanks.
rolleyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:23 AM   #46
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I can't imagine ever approaching a total stranger with “that’s the new GMT Pepsi, very rare and very nice, how did you get it?” The suspicious look you received was more than reasonable. Waving you away was rude, but at this point he was probably on full alert, and perhaps even a little frightened.

You weren't at a watch show, a gathering of watch aficionados or any other watch related event where a question of this nature would be expected. You were buying sneakers.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:31 AM   #47
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMember View Post
I’ll post it again: Not everyone wearing a Rolex watch is your friend.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:34 AM   #48
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorx View Post

I did have a waiter at a restaurant say “excuse me, sir......that is my dream watch” referring to a 16610 I was wearing that night. My wife just rolled her eyes. She’s not a watch person and doesn’t get what all the fuss is about.
Hey, that's pretty good though. Seeing a complete stranger call out your watch and saying it's his dream piece would up the credibility....ahhh who am I fooling? Most everyone thinks we're crazy.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:35 AM   #49
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I talk to nearly everyone that tickles my imagination in one way or another.

It has gone south. But that’s an extreme rarity. As if 1 in a thousand. If I feel someone is cold, I just shift the situation.

Everything is a sale. Even just a casual convo.

Don’t stop.

Eventually no one will ever talk if people like us are deterred by the negative.

And trust me, I’m at the point where I think basically everyone is a douche bag

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:36 AM   #50
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
I don’t care the premise shooing anyone away is just rude
Welcome to Europe.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:39 AM   #51
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There I was today on Barcelona’s most upmarket shopping street in the Adidas shop (I know it’s a contradiction but we will move on) I was looking for some new kicks btw. As it happened the bloke next to me was wearing the new Pepsi on the jubilee. My subconscious watch obsessed brain took over thinking “well, we must talk about this” Sooo, I said, “that’s the new GMT Pepsi, very rare and very nice, how did you get it?” At this point the guy looked at me suspiciously and waved me away. I know this city has a lot of thieves as I have lived here for fifteen years so understand people’s caution.I don;t blame the guy or think badly of him. My lesson was to never mention anything to anyone about their watch if I don;t know them or if it’s not with friends or a watch buying environment.
ANYWAY – anyone else had any similar awkward experiences?
I'm reminded of a story...My wife and I were at the airport during a layover on the way to a dive destination vacation and I had just acquired a new DSSD (when it was first released years ago) - now in all fairness my wife doesn't have the time or patience to keep up with whatever happens to be on my wrist but I hadn't told her about this purchase / trade, and a guy at the airport bar came up and sat down and proceeded to point, talk, ask about (including how much I got it for) in front of my wife. I was a little put off....and busted... I don't think you can just assume that someone wants to have a discussion about their time piece, case in point - I'm on this forum and hated this experience...
Old 16 September 2018, 09:43 AM   #52
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There I was today on Barcelona’s most upmarket shopping street in the Adidas shop (I know it’s a contradiction but we will move on) I was looking for some new kicks btw. As it happened the bloke next to me was wearing the new Pepsi on the jubilee. My subconscious watch obsessed brain took over thinking “well, we must talk about this” Sooo, I said, “that’s the new GMT Pepsi, very rare and very nice, how did you get it?” At this point the guy looked at me suspiciously and waved me away. I know this city has a lot of thieves as I have lived here for fifteen years so understand people’s caution.I don;t blame the guy or think badly of him. My lesson was to never mention anything to anyone about their watch if I don;t know them or if it’s not with friends or a watch buying environment.
Unfortunately you had to learn the hard way, but NEVER speak to strangers about their watch...EVER.

They either think you are going to rob them, don't know anything about what they are wearing, wearing a fake...etc.

If you want to talk about watches, do it here. EOD
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:58 AM   #53
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:04 AM   #54
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Fairly often as a matter of fact. One of my hobbies is photography. Primarily wildlife photography. I enjoy being outdoors and observing nature. It's also a fairly solitary pursuit which is another reason I like it. It certainly better than the wife of the bride directing me to "Take one over here!" and "You should take THIS kinda shot!" You should go back inside and have another piece of cake and let me work lady.

Anyway, a few of the Bald Eagle nests I visit are in very public locations. People are constantly bicycling, jogging, walking dogs and whatnot very close to where I'm shooting.

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times; That's a HUGE camera! (Camera. Not lens. ) I bet that takes some nice pictures. And then it comes, right on cue; How much did it cost?

Now I ask you. What kind of fool asks a person something like that? Do they expect and answer? I've actually had one or two people press the issue a bit and so far I've been able to effectively shut the conversation down with a strong look and a firm "It cost enough. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm busy at the moment."

Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:06 AM   #55
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Yes. Fairly often as a matter of fact. One of my hobbies is photography. Primarily wildlife photography. I enjoy being outdoors and observing nature. It's also a fairly solitary pursuit which is another reason I like it. It certainly better than the wife of the bride directing me to "Take one over here!" and "You should take THIS kinda shot!" You should go back inside and have another piece of cake and let me work lady.

Anyway, a few of the Bald Eagle nests I visit are in very public locations. People are constantly bicycling, jogging, walking dogs and whatnot very close to where I'm shooting.

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times; That's a HUGE camera! (Camera. Not lens. ) I bet that takes some nice pictures. And then it comes, right on cue; How much did it cost?

Now I ask you. What kind of fool asks a person something like that? Do they expect and answer? I've actually had one or two people press the issue a bit and so far I've been able to effectively shut the conversation down with a strong look and a firm "It cost enough. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm busy at the moment."

So..how much did it cost...
Old 16 September 2018, 10:36 AM   #56
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Would it be refreshing if someone said, "I guess size really does matter"?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:02 AM   #57
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Would it be refreshing if someone said, "I guess size really does matter"?
Trust me ...... ummmm size does matter wink wink!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:11 AM   #58
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
Maybe next time just say nice watch. Or nothing.
A simple compliment puts the ball in his court to decide if he wants to engage in a conversation or just acknowledge the compliment. Posing a question went too fast. Myself, I wouldn’t have appreciated it and probably just named off any city and turned away.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:13 AM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Unfortunately you had to learn the hard way, but NEVER speak to strangers about their watch...EVER.

They either think you are going to rob them, don't know anything about what they are wearing, wearing a fake...etc.

If you want to talk about watches, do it here. EOD
Usually agree with you.

Not this time. I always do it.

I’ve even gotten business from it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:26 AM   #60
77T
2024 Pledge Member

BC is back???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote