The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2018, 08:46 PM   #91
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
to 99.9% of people it is, and to most Rolex owners is also is. The sub set of people who dont consider 10K for a watch to be a lot of money is exceedingly small.

Exactly. Let’s be real here. 99% of the people on this planet think the Tudor Pepsi GMT is an expensive watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:47 PM   #92
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
No one should ever just wave a person away it is a sign of pure ignorance ....
To me it is a sign of get away I am better than you....it is from victorian times and from the raj
It is wrong

I will be honest I may not be rich ..but I am an honest law abiding person

I have seen children ..look at me and see me ad a waste of time picking up rubbish as a job and even say why do you do that when you can
Earn a pound less on benefits ... then I repeat benefits are not for me...I have been looked down upon all of my life by being brought up on a UK council estate by a single parent mother but I have 3 things in my life ..
1 a wife who loves me
2 ... 2 is correct a Tudor black bay red and a Rolex Air-King compared to other persons on this site they are rubbish watches ...but to me they are mine bought and payed for..it may have taken 6 years on minimum wage to get them but I love my twins..I have scrimped and saved for them......they are my girls and I love them
3. I am a son of a minor 3rd generation I could have been a minor myself but Margaret Thatcher finished the mines .when I was 16 and ready to go down the mines at the age of 16.she put 250.000 men in the north east of England on the dole (benefits) I am too proud to do that and if someone was to shoo me away I would sware at them ...it
No one will ever shoo me away its a derogatory remark it is the low of the low.

As for psychopath
I find that quite funny as my nickname during school was psycho
Rocket Launcher you do understand that randoms does not know that you have this background and that you may have inferiority complexes or other issues with this? Had some random waved me away after I had approached him in the mall and asked him how he got his watch, I would not look at that as any more rude then approaching him like I did. I would just walk away not thinking more about it. Just like you have all this complexes about being waved away, he may have this complexes about randoms feeling they have the right to approach and question him just because he wears the watch he enjoys. Or if it was a crowded store he may not want to talk about how he got his $10,000 or 20,000 Rolex with 15 random people around listening. One should not have to wear ugly cloths, watches and so on to be left alone by strangers wean out shopping at the mall. It is all about perspective and what one finds rude or not. To me I think people should respect that other peoples privacy and comfort zones may vary from yours.

This (video below) is what may happen wean randoms approach you about your watch. Maybe it even was the same guy, so from experienced he have learned to wave randoms asking about his watch away.

https://youtu.be/eiBOJ_hT67c
Old 16 September 2018, 09:08 PM   #93
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
The shooing away as if your mere presence was offensive was out of order, even being ignored would have been better.

I actually commented on a stranger’s watch for the first time yesterday. I was in the pharmacy and the pharmacist was wearing a polar Exp II. I said “nice watch” and pointed to my Exp. He smiled, and said thanks. I did wonder if I should’ve said anything. The guy was at work and may not have cared for that.

With cycling, I’ve commented on lots of nice bikes and cyclists usually take that well.

When I’m walking my dachshund I do sometimes assume other dachshund owner’s are friendly: I’ve certainly learned that’s not the case. I actually size up the owner before the dog then decide if a meet n greet us on the cards. Everyone’s different be the take away here.
It is the time and place that matters. If I am at my local AD or a jewelry store or even sitting in the waiting room of my dentist I would probably not mind someone asking me about my watch unless I am busy. But if I am at a mall, looking at shoes or something and a random comes up to me asking about my watch, to me that is inappropriate. Only saying "Nice watch" or "cool watch" and leave it with that is ok, but out of the blue sneaking up on me starting questioning me. I would take that as rude. Some are very extrovert and some are very introvert, and you have anything between.
Old 16 September 2018, 09:09 PM   #94
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
It is one third of the price of a new Volkswagen Golf GTI. Not the end of the world.
Quote:
we were talking about the BLRO. it costs a third of the price of a family hatchback.
Now I understand why you got the response you got.
Can't blame the guy, good for him.
My advice, leave people with their inexpensive watches alone, particularly because based on your responses I think your approach is lacking and I suspect there is more to the narrative that is being left out.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:35 PM   #95
Grace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I usually just say “nice watch” and leave it at that.
If the person wants to reply then I’m all in but I like to give them an out so they can process the interaction and maybe let them get a glance of my wrist so they can realize I’m just a watch geek.

This is the right approach. Give the other person the opportunity to engage in further conversation if they feel comfortable.

Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:46 PM   #96
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
how did you get it?
I see how that question might be offensive. I wouldn't dream of throwing that question to a 599 Aperta owner for example.
And then there is the issue of being "recognised" in a non comfortable setting. I have gotten a couple of comments this summer for my gold submariner a couple of times that I have had a hard time giving out a polite answer to. I live in a nice central area but there are frequent watch/jewellery related robberies so if a stranger regardless hers/his attentions notices and comments about my watch I act defensive.
Old 16 September 2018, 09:48 PM   #97
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Exactly. Let’s be real here. 99% of the people on this planet think the Tudor Pepsi GMT is an expensive watch.

99.9 % of the planet wouldn't know a Tudor from a Timex, wouldn't know the price and wouldn't care. The thing that gets me is that we think, b/c we wear a Rolex (or any brand), people notice - they don't and they don't care. They have zero interest and I think most of these antidotes are ... fake news.
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:59 PM   #98
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
99.9 % of the planet wouldn't know a Tudor from a Timex, wouldn't know the price and wouldn't care. The thing that gets me is that we think, b/c we wear a Rolex (or any brand), people notice - they don't and they don't care. They have zero interest and I think most of these antidotes are ... fake news.
A Rolex people do. Thats the thing about Rolex, it has become a name almost everyone recognizes. In the middle on nowhere Montana, i wear my Pateks when visiting my hometown. Wearing a Rolex which actually costs a fraction of the price people have accused me of "showing off". Its not a place where its advantageous to have things no one else does. Patek, no one has heard of it so it could be a Timex for all they know.

In general people have limited awareness of almost every watch brand, but with a Rolex they know the name, and they think its the most expensive brand, which it isnt.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:22 PM   #99
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I dont like people coming up to me unless its in a watch store.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:23 PM   #100
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
A Rolex people do. Thats the thing about Rolex, it has become a name almost everyone recognizes. In the middle on nowhere Montana, i wear my Pateks when visiting my hometown. Wearing a Rolex which actually costs a fraction of the price people have accused me of "showing off". Its not a place where its advantageous to have things no one else does. Patek, no one has heard of it so it could be a Timex for all they know.

In general people have limited awareness of almost every watch brand, but with a Rolex they know the name, and they think its the most expensive brand, which it isnt.
Very true. A Rolex is instantaneously recognized anywhere in the world, for many reasons.
The main one being that Rolex design cues have not changed for over two generations. Your grandfather's Rolex looks identical to a layman as the one available for purchase today. Rolex has trained the eyes of the world to recognize their brand and that is very powerful.

My coworker owns a Panerai and a Ploprof but no one even acknowledges them but when they want to joke about an expensive watch, they immediately look for a Rolex owner, even though the Panerai is more expensive and there are Speedmasters and Breitlings also but only Rolex gets the special watch nod.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:53 PM   #101
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:
I was talking to a guy about the new GMT Pepsi. it is not an expensive watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
It is in reality...

It's not in luxury watches... but in watches "general" it is...
Quote:
It is one third of the price of a new Volkswagen Golf GTI. Not the end of the world.
It's also 300 times the price of a base model Timex Ironman... You're right: It's not the end of the world. (But it is an expensive watch... To state otherwise is pretentious and insulting to those who can't buy that Ironman because they need to feed their family)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:17 PM   #102
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I should stop asking strangers about their watch.
Good idea!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:59 PM   #103
Burlington
"TRF" Member

It should also be considered that the wave away may have been due to language - perhaps all that was understood was Rolex and pointing at his wrist. This gesture would be understood across all languages and cultures as please stop bothering me and crowding my space.

A bit of situational and interpersonal awareness never goes far amiss.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:27 AM   #104
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
I definitely agree with that. That's why I think it's so funny when people post about how concerned they are about wearing a Rolex to work.

It usually goes like this: "Should I wear my Submariner to work? I'm concerned about what people might think. Boo Hoo. There are lot of people that don't make as much money as I do. They might not like me anymore or say bad things behind my back."

Trust me. They don't give a shit. They don't notice, and when they do notice, they have no idea it's an $8000 watch.

People act as if everyone on the planet subscribes to TRF.

It's laughable.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 01:25 AM   #105
R G
Banned

Quote:
I was talking to a guy about the new GMT Pepsi. it is not an expensive watch.

It is an expensive watch. All Rolexes are.

Yes, it’s all subjective and relative etc etc, but generally speaking, ask most normal people, wealthy or not, and they will tell you; thousands spent on a watch is expensive.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 01:34 AM   #106
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
Quote:
...the guy looked at me suspiciously and waved me away.
Maybe the guy doesn’t speak the language you spoke (English or Spanish?).

Also congrats on living in my favorite city in the world!
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 01:34 AM   #107
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
He didn't appreciate attention being drawn to his watch. Some WIS are understandably private people. He's obviously on good terms with an AD somewhere or paid through the butt for it.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 02:14 AM   #108
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
For almost 20 years I wore my two-tone Perpetual Date to work at a very large defense contractor. I interfaced with many hundreds of people. Throughout that work life I have always worn short sleeves shirts, never long sleeves, so the watch was always 'out there' and visible. In all those years, not even one person asked about it. (I could make the assumption that anyone spotting it may have thought "fake"?)
No one anywhere else has ever asked about it either.
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 02:26 AM   #109
Senorx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
I was surfing IG looking at watches while a co-worker was looking over my shoulder. He said “are you looking to buy a high end Invicta or something?”

Another time I was looking at a Datejust on the interweb for a possible birthday gift for my wife. A female co-worker walks by and says “that’s nice, but if you really want to get her something nice, Macy’s has some really nice Michael Kors watches”. I just rolled my eyes. Most people don’t know squat about watches.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 02:28 AM   #110
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
It is an expensive watch. All Rolexes are.

Yes, it’s all subjective and relative etc etc, but generally speaking, ask most normal people, wealthy or not, and they will tell you; thousands spent on a watch is expensive.
+1.........it's on the right side of the bell curve.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 02:29 AM   #111
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
My opinion is it is rude to be asked. But then, I'm a misanthropic curmudgeon who doesn't like people, so consider the source.
My man.....
Join us, the retro grouch curmudgeons!
Old 17 September 2018, 03:41 AM   #112
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Standing in line to check in for a plane at the Nice Airport (France), a guy standing not far from me and drawing up for the same plane, continuously watched at my Hulk. He finally approached me and asked to have look at that very special and hard to find Rolex. The guy was very friendly and pleasant... we started a quite long conversation about our common passion.
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 03:43 AM   #113
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol1 View Post
Standing in line to check in for a plane at the Nice Airport (France), a guy standing not far from me and drawing up for the same plane, continuously watched at my Hulk. He finally approached me and asked to have look at that very special and hard to find Rolex. The guy was very friendly and pleasant... we started a quite long conversation about our common passion.
this i would welcome... post security and in a safe environment. I might even let them try it on. Assuming they had a nice watch i could try on too, just in case
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 September 2018, 04:11 AM   #114
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I only comment on watches an enthusiast would buy, Patek and independent brands are a dead giveaway - and so far it’s been interesting with some nice conversations (met a few TRFers and WUS people too).

Steer clear of guys wearing 44mm Panerai, two tone Datejust, modern GMT and Subs, they’re pretty common here for non-watch enthusiasts with not a whole lot to say.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:33 AM   #115
Bronte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I only comment on watches an enthusiast would buy, Patek and independent brands are a dead giveaway - and so far it’s been interesting with some nice conversations (met a few TRFers and WUS people too).

Steer clear of guys wearing 44mm Panerai, two tone Datejust, modern GMT and Subs, they’re pretty common here for non-watch enthusiasts with not a whole lot to say.

I was wearing a current production model Submariner Date one day, and a guy at the bar remarked favorably on the watch. He was wearing an F.P. Journe Tourbillon, which is a pretty unusual $100k piece for those not familiar. We had a good chat.

People who frequent internet forums tend to be introverted or asocial and have skewed views of appropriate social interactions.

It’s ok to talk to people. You don’t have to screen them by watch model either.
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:38 AM   #116
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
People who frequent internet forums tend to be introverted or asocial and have skewed views of appropriate social interactions.
We are WIS, we don't have Asperger's. Im pretty sure most of us can handle social interactions just fine.
Old 17 September 2018, 04:41 AM   #117
Bronte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We are WIS, we don't have Asperger's

Ha. I hear you. But whenever a topic about talking to people comes up, the responses skew heavily toward asocial views. Similar when the “would you let someone wear your watch” threads pop up.
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:42 AM   #118
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
I think it depends where you ask the question.
In your local gym, in your local shop, no problem!
Barcelona?
In my local shop I noticed a new assistant/temp manager(?) was wearing a gold/silver datejust.
On saying what a nice watch it was he was only two pleased to tell me that he bought it at auction for £1500!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:44 AM   #119
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon14

Funny thing like you, I learned the hard way that most people that I comment on their Rolex have no idea about what they are wearing other than it’s a Rolex.

So, trying to talk to them about the WIS idoiosyncracies like movement, Bezel or rehaut just makes them worried you noticed their $8k watch and sends them into scurry mode...

I’m done commenting unless they are here on TRF.

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:44 AM   #120
R G
Banned

Quote:
We are WIS, we don't have Asperger's. Im pretty sure most of us can handle social interactions just fine.

Hahahahaha brilliant.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote