The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2018, 04:45 AM   #121
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
Ha. I hear you. But whenever a topic about talking to people comes up, the responses skew heavily toward asocial views. Similar when the “would you let someone wear your watch” threads pop up.
i think its the opposite. We are social people largely and when the opportunity to talk watches comes up in real life, which is almost never, we have no idea how to react. Deer in headlights. I think there is paranoid tendencies for sure, its a watch, not your first born.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:51 AM   #122
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I was at a black tie event one time and a fellow at our table appeared to have a nice JLC or IWC dress watch on. At some point curiosity got the best of me and I asked him what his watch was. It was a Daniel Wellington. Nothing wrong with that but then he asked me to show what I was wearing, which was my datejust. It made me look like a douche, like I was trying to show off my watch. I am much more careful now and usually don't talk to strangers about watches unless they initiate the conversation.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:51 AM   #123
Bronte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i think its the opposite. We are social people largely and when the opportunity to talk watches comes up in real life, which is almost never, we have no idea how to react. Deer in headlights. I think there is paranoid tendencies for sure, its a watch, not your first born.

Maybe so. I’m reacting to the people saying you shouldn’t talk to strangers about their watches or they only raise watches with people if they are wearing certain models.
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:51 AM   #124
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahMan View Post
Nice watch, wow nice wallet, like the jacket, and that’s what I heard from a TSA guy. I walked away, feeling like I “was the man”, then it hit me”, I am “DahMan”...
Livin/Loven

I’m wondering....”why do you use quotation marks to identify your thoughts?” but don’t use quotation marks around the actual, supposed dialogue of the TSA agent.
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:52 AM   #125
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I dont like people coming up to me unless its in a watch store.
Look out for the employees as they're habitual pickpockets. :)
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:55 AM   #126
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
I’m wondering....”why do you use quotation marks to identify your thoughts?” but don’t use quotation marks around the actual, supposed dialogue of the TSA agent.
because its fun picturing him telling the story in real life and using "air quotes"

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 05:02 AM   #127
TripleB Boston
Banned

Watch: GMTII Blue/Red
It's certainly a chance worth taking. In the office, I have met some of the coolest people just chatting about their watch. Some people are just as huge a WIS as I am.
But if they are cold or answer something like, "yeah thanks...." I just say "Have a pleasant day." and go on my merry way.
Definitely worth striking up the conversation imho.
TripleB Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 05:13 AM   #128
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Funny thing like you, I learned the hard way that most people that I comment on their Rolex have no idea about what they are wearing other than it’s a Rolex.
Generally, I would 100% agree but if someone is wearing a 126710blro, they have to know more than just “Rolex”.
Old 17 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #129
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
because its fun picturing him telling the story in real life and using "air quotes"

That would be funny, especially if you could hear the inner dialogue. Knowing he’s thinking *I'm the man* and using air quotes for “the man” part. Lol
Old 17 September 2018, 05:41 AM   #130
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
We are WIS, we don't have Asperger's. Im pretty sure most of us can handle social interactions just fine.
Not all of us.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 05:44 AM   #131
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I definitely agree with that. That's why I think it's so funny when people post about how concerned they are about wearing a Rolex to work.

It usually goes like this: "Should I wear my Submariner to work? I'm concerned about what people might think. Boo Hoo. There are lot of people that don't make as much money as I do. They might not like me anymore or say bad things behind my back."

Trust me. They don't give a shit. They don't notice, and when they do notice, they have no idea it's an $8000 watch.

People act as if everyone on the planet subscribes to TRF.

It's laughable.
I actually had the opposite experience, and it wasn't even with a Rolex. I was clerking in my third year of law school. I had a major case of the hots for the 116610LN, which had recently come out, but which I couldn't afford. Instead, I wore a quartz TAG Link, which, given my Rolex lust at the time, I genuinely thought of as nothing special.

One day, one of the legal assistants spotted my watch and said, "Look at you, all fancy with your TAG Heuer." (She pronounced it "Hyoo-er.") In all sincerity, and without a trace of irony, I replied, "What, this?" She said, "Don't play modest. I wanted a TAG but couldn't afford it. I got a Victorinox instead."

I had no idea I risked being bougie by wearing a TAG. To this day I wonder if she would have ID'd the Rolex, had I had it. I can only imagine the reaction if she had.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:21 AM   #132
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
My man.....
Join us, the retro grouch curmudgeons!
I certainly qualify for the curmudgeon part, but I didn't think I was eligible, seeing as how I wear a six-digit model.
Old 17 September 2018, 06:28 AM   #133
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
i was at the Lion King this afternoon with my son in the west end (london). Some guy in the bathroom wearing a 44mm RG ROO tried to talk watches with me at the urinal . Totally weird but i guess its ok since it was only my watch he was checking out. Come to think about it, i have no excuse that i even know what watch he had on. Mine was a BLRO FWIW.

Its the situation, not necessarily the conversation being off limits.
Man, you do NOT engage someone in conversation when they have their "Valuables" (no, not the watch) exposed.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:33 AM   #134
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
Ha. I hear you. But whenever a topic about talking to people comes up, the responses skew heavily toward asocial views. Similar when the “would you let someone wear your watch” threads pop up.
True. The overwhelming majority always appears to be anti social.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:36 AM   #135
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I actually had the opposite experience, and it wasn't even with a Rolex. I was clerking in my third year of law school. I had a major case of the hots for the 116610LN, which had recently come out, but which I couldn't afford. I wore a quartz TAG Link, which, given my Rolex lust at the time, I genuinely thought of as nothing special.

One day, one of the legal assistants spotted my watch and said, "Look at you, all fancy with your TAG Heuer." (She pronounced it "Hyoo-er.") In all sincerity, and without a trace of irony, I replied, "What, this?" She said, "Don't play modest. I wanted a TAG but couldn't afford it. I got a Victorinox instead."

I had no idea I risked being bougie by wearing a TAG. To this day I wonder if she would have ID'd the Rolex, had I had it. I can only imagine the reaction if she had.
When I was in college Tag was THE hot watch.

My buddy got one for HS graduation and I in awe of it. Dreamed of having my own for many years. I still like them

Old 17 September 2018, 06:41 AM   #136
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

My buddy got one for HS graduation and I in awe of it. Dreamed of having my own for many years. I still like them
I still have mine, too, but that's mainly because resale is so lousy, it's not worth selling it. I've offered it in trade to a number of dealers, and none of them want it. It still keeps excellent time, rivaling that of thermo-compensated movements, so it's a good back-up, should I ever need it.
Old 17 September 2018, 06:50 AM   #137
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
99.9 % of the planet wouldn't know a Tudor from a Timex, wouldn't know the price and wouldn't care. The thing that gets me is that we think, b/c we wear a Rolex (or any brand), people notice - they don't and they don't care. They have zero interest and I think most of these antidotes are ... fake news.
Must agree....in my own experience few people notice or care. There is any amount of watches out there that agree a glance look fairly similar to Rolexes.....the vast majority of people are not interested!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 07:24 AM   #138
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
We are WIS, we don't have Asperger's. Im pretty sure most of us can handle social interactions just fine.
Reminds me I saw Rain Man last week and Tom Cruise was wearing a YG DD, missed it the last time I saw it over twenty years ago, missed he was wearing a watch at all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 07:32 AM   #139
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
this i would welcome... post security and in a safe environment. I might even let them try it on. Assuming they had a nice watch i could try on too, just in case

I would feel the same and might offer to try as well.

To the OP, I would feel uncomfortable and off putting by the “how much you paid for it” question. My response to a random stranger would probably be “I got it as a gift”. Now, if I’m at a watch event, I’ll be more than happy to engage in a conversation.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 07:40 AM   #140
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
True. The overwhelming majority always appears to be anti social.
That's why they're on a(this) forum. So you can "say" whatever you like without actually having to deal with people.....duh.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 07:42 AM   #141
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
That's why they're on a(this) forum. So you can "say" whatever you like without actually having to deal with people.....duh.
Don’t you mean “we”?

And I’m here too. And while I’m mire jaded daily, I talk to nearly everyone.

So some flaws in your theory. But I do get your point. Many people hide behind a screen because they are afraid of real life.

Old 17 September 2018, 07:57 AM   #142
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Don’t you mean “we”?

And I’m here too. And while I’m mire jaded daily, I talk to nearly everyone.

So some flaws in your theory. But I do get your point. Many people hide behind a screen because they are afraid of real life.
I'm not really here.........

In all seriousness, I have talked to many(ok, maybe a few) strangers about their watches. Ive had some really great interactions. Iv'e had a couple of duds too. I profess no great greatness in this skill, but it is mostly, to me anyway, the ability to read people. There have been way more times where I just kept to myself. It's not really all that different from any other hobby or interest. Some car people will talk your ear off about their car, just needed to be asked. Some will issue a world class D-Bag reply.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:15 AM   #143
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

I was at Starbucks a few days ago and was sitting besides two men chit chatting amongst themselves.

I noticed one had a Submariner and the other an awesome Black dial Daytona.

I excused myself and started a conversation with them about their watches. Both were pleasantly surprised that I knew each respective watches and knowledge of them.

I was in awe of both but more so with the Black faced Daytona which looked gorgeoooous. I think he noticed me drooling so he was kind enough to let me try the daaam Daytona on!!!

I'm currently looking for a Rolex for myself and only had my sights on something like 34mm or smaller. After seeing the Daytona on my wrist it looks like I'll be so so okay with this size and will need to just have to save a lot more!!

I had wanted to take a photo of it but felt that would be pushing it since I was already afterall wearing his Daytona haaaa!!!

We chit chatted for about a half hour about their watches and really enjoyed the conversation. I appreciated their openness and how kind they were with moi

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:26 AM   #144
MinMay
Banned

I wouldn't like a stranger on the street looking at my watch. My first instinct is that you might rob me... I would be worried....probably turn on my "beast guard" mode lol

There's a huge difference between coworkers/friends vs strangers :)

Haven't ya seen those videos where people get robbed on the street after the first "hi, nice watch". :)

The guy with the Pepsi was lucky that day....
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:32 AM   #145
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

I think the above link of the guy having his watch stolen confirms why most/some here conclude they would not engage in watch convo with strangers. If I had on an expensive or sentimental timepiece too would think twice about engaging with a stranger but then again it all depends on the context as you never know he/she may turn out to be a fellow WIS !
It all depends upon human interaction and nature of the situation at the time.

Harry
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:01 AM   #146
Lester206
"TRF" Member

Context is critical.

I was at a charity golf tournament on Friday. I was getting out of my golf cart at the clubhouse when I noticed the watch on the person getting out of the cart next to me. I said "is that a Deepsea?" "Yeah" "Nice Watch" "Thanks." There is no way that I made him concerned that I was after his watch.

But I can see why someone on Las Ramblas would be apprehensive when asked about their expensive watch.

So I try to keep that in mind.
Lester206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:19 AM   #147
Senorx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
Quote:

When I graduated High School in the early 90s, I worked all summer to buy a Formula 1 Tag Heuer. I still own a more modern Formula 1 that I bought over 12 years ago. Still looks great and functions perfectly.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:26 AM   #148
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
If someone stopped and asked me about one of my watches I’d be happy to chat to them about it.
Me too
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:28 AM   #149
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Reminds me I saw Rain Man last week and Tom Cruise was wearing a YG DD, missed it the last time I saw it over twenty years ago, missed he was wearing a watch at all.
That movie was one of the first inspirations for me getting into watches. I loved the scene where he sold it to a pawn shop
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:33 AM   #150
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
I wouldn't like a stranger on the street looking at my watch. My first instinct is that you might rob me... I would be worried....probably turn on my "beast guard" mode lol

There's a huge difference between coworkers/friends vs strangers :)

Haven't ya seen those videos where people get robbed on the street after the first "hi, nice watch". :)

The guy with the Pepsi was lucky that day....
Me too. I'd prefer to be left alone unless I was socializing during a watch event, or at least in an appropriate environment to socialize. Bit of an introvert myself. I don't even relish unexpectedly seeing people I know. Haha
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote